Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

For that era I don't think his locker room bullying was really that far beyond normal. I mean, it wasn't. It was bad poo poo but the wrestlers of that era accepted it as normal so they didn't see it as a warning sign until after.

Just look at who they sent to the ring to beat the poo poo out of Daniel Puder at the '05 Royal Rumble.

EDIT: Watching the clip now, did Puder have any idea what was about to happen? He's on the mic with a big smile ten seconds before getting chopped to death.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

usually part of that style of "punishment" was always not knowing it's coming and having to deal with that and not gently caress up kayfabe or anything since that's way more important than your safety

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cavauro posted:

usually part of that style of "punishment" was always not knowing it's coming and having to deal with that and not gently caress up kayfabe or anything since that's way more important than your safety

That makes sense, but he's also someone that attempted to use kayfabe to his advantage in the original incident with Kurt Angle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What happened to Puder anyway? I recall him being used pretty well character wise on his arrival in ROH where they played up the perception of him as an arrogant dude but I don't think anything really came of it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
IIRC Benoit was one of the "enforcers" of the nastier locker room punishments doled out by the Undertaker in Wrestler's Court, so that pretty much tells you all you need to know right there.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

What happened to Puder anyway? I recall him being used pretty well character wise on his arrival in ROH where they played up the perception of him as an arrogant dude but I don't think anything really came of it.

Cesaro swung him around for two minutes solid.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Benoit was overall a psycho. Does anyone have a link/quote of that story about Benoit mildly botching something in the ring and then someone seeing him doing like 600 hack squats in the dark to punish himself? I forget all the details but it was real crazy person poo poo.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Benoit was overall a psycho. Does anyone have a link/quote of that story about Benoit mildly botching something in the ring and then someone seeing him doing like 600 hack squats in the dark to punish himself? I forget all the details but it was real crazy person poo poo.

I don't remember that, but I do remember Daivari telling a similar story about Benoit making him do like 500 squats or something as a punishment for whatever.

I also remember reading something someone said after the murders about how Benoit was crazy obsessed with wrestling. Like they literally could not talk to him about other interests or hobbies or whatever, he only wanted to discuss wrestling, to the point where they felt very weirded out by it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was also the guy who kicked Miz out of the locker room for eating chicken and getting crumbs on Scott Armstrong's bag. Which lead to a weird situation when Benoit died, since under Wrestler Court logic Benoit would have had to be the one to invite Miz back in, so Miz just kept getting changed out in the hall forever. Eventually Undertaker wanders by, goes "Uh, what are you doing", Miz explains the situation and Undertaker lets him back in

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Being that we're talking about this again, I had this question years ago and I don't think anyone was able to answer it:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did anything ever come of the whole Dave Taylor incident when it comes to the Benoit murders? Apparently the neighbor reported seeing Taylor and his wife arriving with food platters after she discovered the bodies and before the cops arrived. WWE swore he was in Texas at the PPV, but other wrestlers have denied this, and Taylor has said he doesn't recall. And authorities apparently never followed up on it. If it is true, I was under the impression that they were sent by the WWE to check out what was going on before the press got there and it turned into a PR nightmare. Which is what happened anyway.

EDIT:

DeathChicken posted:

He was also the guy who kicked Miz out of the locker room for eating chicken and getting crumbs on Scott Armstrong's bag. Which lead to a weird situation when Benoit died, since under Wrestler Court logic Benoit would have had to be the one to invite Miz back in, so Miz just kept getting changed out in the hall forever. Eventually Undertaker wanders by, goes "Uh, what are you doing", Miz explains the situation and Undertaker lets him back in

Wasn't Armstrong one of the people Benoit texted about the dogs being in the enclosed pool area?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Jericho talked about it in his first book. Jericho whiffed a dropkick, but Benoit still sold it, so Benoit felt the need to "punish" himself for bumping.

My favorite thing is the WWE/wrestling business acting all :shrug: when it came to chair shots. "We didn't know what the effects would be! There was no CTE studies then!" True, but even then, people knew walloping someone with a metal object in the head at full force wasn't good for them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't remember that, but I do remember Daivari telling a similar story about Benoit making him do like 500 squats or something as a punishment for whatever.

I also remember reading something someone said after the murders about how Benoit was crazy obsessed with wrestling. Like they literally could not talk to him about other interests or hobbies or whatever, he only wanted to discuss wrestling, to the point where they felt very weirded out by it.

Benoit didn't make him do it as a punishment, Daivari wrote at the time that he saw Conway and Benoit doing it as their prematch workout and wanted to try it himself.

Also Miz didn't just get crumbs on the bag he apparently got enough crumbs and grease on it that it got pretty gross. He was definitely in the wrong there.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.outsports.com/2011/11/2/4052064/daniel-puders-my-life-my-power-organization-fights-bullying-in-schools

“Kids, what should you do if three of your coworkers take turns beating you up? Who can you talk to?”

“Uhh... your boss I guess?”

“Wrong. Dead wrong.”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Benoit would punish himself with the Hindu squats, at least according to Jericho's story about him missing a spinning heel kick and bumping anyway and feeling like he'd hosed everything up because of that one botch and making himself do 1000 Hindu squats for it, which is what Jericho found him in the middle of, felt bad, started doing them with him, eventually gave up because holy gently caress a thousand Hindu squats

... And nobody went "maybe someone should teach him to fly fish or something"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Didn't that make him piss muscle fibers?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Didn't that make him piss muscle fibers?

Daivari pissed muscle fiber, yes.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i remember a story about Benoit bringing Brian Kendrick into a bedroom closet so they could hide and masturbate while watching someone gently caress. does anyone else remember this story

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drew McIntyre posted:

i remember a story about Benoit bringing Brian Kendrick into a bedroom closet so they could hide and masturbate while watching someone gently caress. does anyone else remember this story

Those two and Paul London were eating, London took up for a waitress getting harassed by a customer, and she started hitting on him, so Benoit told him to gently caress her so him and Kendrick could watch.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Cameo posted:

Benoit would punish himself with the Hindu squats, at least according to Jericho's story about him missing a spinning heel kick and bumping anyway and feeling like he'd hosed everything up because of that one botch and making himself do 1000 Hindu squats for it, which is what Jericho found him in the middle of, felt bad, started doing them with him, eventually gave up because holy gently caress a thousand Hindu squats

... And nobody went "maybe someone should teach him to fly fish or something"

The av/post combo here is fantastic.

Another factor in Benoit going insane was the fact that two of his very good friends (Eddie Guerrero and Johnny Grunge) died, and he was a middle-aged guy whose career was winding down. Even without the steroids and CTE, he would have been a powder keg, though maybe not to the same degree.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

The av/post combo here is fantastic.

Another factor in Benoit going insane was the fact that two of his very good friends (Eddie Guerrero and Johnny Grunge) died, and he was a middle-aged guy whose career was winding down. Even without the steroids and CTE, he would have been a powder keg, though maybe not to the same degree.

He was also close to Owen Hart and Black Cat (an ex worker who was a NJPW liaison for gaijin).

Being a wrestler in that period would be hard just because of the realization that you could wake up and have lost a friend.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
in WWE, to what extent can you modify or change your ring gear without getting permission first?

It seems like some people have the same gear for years, but some people change it pretty often, especially the women

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Remember when Kurt Angle revealed his intentions to compete in the 2012 Olympics?

That was around the same year he went on that Spike show where normal dudes compete against real athletes and he taken down by some rando schlub in a contest where they were supposed to avoid getting taken down by him

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

in WWE, to what extent can you modify or change your ring gear without getting permission first?

It seems like some people have the same gear for years, but some people change it pretty often, especially the women

They legit seem to let the cosplay designs and colors through with no reservations just so they can make YouTube videos about them.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

CombineThresher posted:

Is it true that if the murder-suicide didn't happen, Benoit was gonna be taken down by heart/brain problems within 1-2 years anyway?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Coaaab posted:

Is it true that if the murder-suicide didn't happen, Benoit was gonna be taken down by heart/brain problems within 1-2 years anyway?

yeah, in a way it's a good thing he killed his wife and young son before that happened, or we would have never known he wasn't a good person

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Has New Japan ever had a cage match?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Has New Japan ever had a cage match?

There was a cage match between Tanahashi & Kazunari Murakami in 2004 at King of Sport.

For some reason it looks to be in an empty arena

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Did ECW ever have a cage match?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here’s a thought that just popped into my mind. Has there been a wrestler whose thing is that they never even attempt a pin until they’re 100% sure it’ll be successful? Like, the pin itself is sort of their finisher in a way.

I mean I guess monsters who squash jobbers would be kind of close to that but it’s not exactly what I’m thinking of. Do any wrestlers like that come to mind?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Did ECW ever have a cage match?

Yes, they had the Ultimate Jeopardy matches which were War Games style cage matches, there was also the cage match at Gangstas Paradise with Mikey Whipwreck, & Public Enemy vs Sandman, New Jack & Too Cold Scorpio and at Natural Born Killaz there was an Eliminators vs Gangstas steel cage match. Think the most famous though was Gangstas vs The Dudleys from Heat Wave '97

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

extradite THIS! posted:

Here’s a thought that just popped into my mind. Has there been a wrestler whose thing is that they never even attempt a pin until they’re 100% sure it’ll be successful? Like, the pin itself is sort of their finisher in a way.

I mean I guess monsters who squash jobbers would be kind of close to that but it’s not exactly what I’m thinking of. Do any wrestlers like that come to mind?

Big E had the five count

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

extradite THIS! posted:

Not that I can think of. It’s probably be a pretty hard story to tell in the ring without the wrestler cutting a promo about it or the announcers explaining it

In terms of simple pinning moves that were treated as finishers when they were pulled out Bryan Danielson had his master of the small package thing going on in ROH and Genki Horiguchi has his Backslide from Heaven/Hell depending on if he low blowed you or not first

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 28, 2019

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
There's also guys who just wouldn't do their finishers if they weren't going to win, like Scott Hall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Big E had the five count

I was at a house show in the third or fourth row after Big E was called up (I can't remember if it was before he started hanging out with AJ and Dolph), and tried to get a FIVE chant going and he just looked over at me and yelled "They don't know what that means" and I was sad.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, they had the Ultimate Jeopardy matches which were War Games style cage matches, there was also the cage match at Gangstas Paradise with Mikey Whipwreck, & Public Enemy vs Sandman, New Jack & Too Cold Scorpio and at Natural Born Killaz there was an Eliminators vs Gangstas steel cage match. Think the most famous though was Gangstas vs The Dudleys from Heat Wave '97

Raven and Sandman had a few cage matches too, and Raven/Richards vs. Luna/Dreamer was in a cage as well, if I recall correctly.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Seeing that stuff upthread about Daniel Puder getting the poo poo beat out of him in the 2005 Royal Rumble got me thinking: how come the Undertaker was apparently willing to put Maven over in the '02 Rumble? Wasn't this when the Undertaker was at the height of his backstage bigdog stage, with all the bullying/hazing that entailed? I can't imagine putting over a Tough Enough winner that hadn't 'paid his dues' would have been something he'd agree to.

vvv oh yeah you're right. I guess even being in the same brief program as the Undertaker is a bit of a rub, unless that post-elimination shitkicking was a lot more of a shoot than I remember...

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 28, 2019

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Didn't he absolutely annihilate Maven for the entire rest of that show or something

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Answers Me posted:

Seeing that stuff upthread about Daniel Puder getting the poo poo beat out of him in the 2005 Royal Rumble got me thinking: how come the Undertaker was apparently willing to put Maven over in the '02 Rumble? Wasn't this when the Undertaker was at the height of his backstage bigdog stage, with all the bullying/hazing that entailed? I can't imagine putting over a Tough Enough winner that hadn't 'paid his dues' would have been something he'd agree to.

He immediately beat the gently caress out of Maven for like 10 minutes straight to get his heat back, nobody got "put over" in that segment

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Benne posted:

nobody got "put over" in that segment

raw.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Like, I think he continued to beat his rear end the next night on Raw and perhaps that was his post-rumble program for a while