Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Everyone in the Inner Sphere is lovely but I've always liked that the "Life is cheap, BattleMechs are expensive" tagline is demonstrably false. It's always the people that matter.

I have to say I really like the concept art for the elemental. It manages to look like something that could conceivably be worn while at the same time looking actually toad-like, unlike the original which always looked more like weird samurai armor. Narrowing the torso and moving the backpack missile pod forward (so the missiles resemble big bug-eyes) helps immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have to say I really like the concept art for the elemental. It manages to look like something that could conceivably be worn while at the same time looking actually toad-like, unlike the original which always looked more like weird samurai armor. Narrowing the torso and moving the backpack missile pod forward (so the missiles resemble big bug-eyes) helps immensely.

Yeah, it looks great. I hope they rework and release some other updated Battle Armor designs for the IS and Clans (though I know the focus is on Clan Invasion stuff so maybe not IS BA just yet). Salamander BA rules and the design doesn't even need that much updating.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Everyone in the Inner Sphere is lovely but I've always liked that the "Life is cheap, BattleMechs are expensive" tagline is demonstrably false. It's always the people that matter.

Only thing I don't like about the new model is that the chest looks too bulbous. I think it would be better if it was slimmed down just a little. That *might* be a perspective thing though.

DrPop posted:

Yeah, it looks great. I hope they rework and release some other updated Battle Armor designs for the IS and Clans (though I know the focus is on Clan Invasion stuff so maybe not IS BA just yet). Salamander BA rules and the design doesn't even need that much updating.

Salamanders made such fun enemies to throw the players against in the RPG. They can walk on ceilings.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Salamanders made such fun enemies to throw the players against in the RPG. They can walk on ceilings.

I didn't even think of that. That does sound fun as hell.

Some of later BA designs are just so weird. Chassis like the Sylph is pretty drat handy, but I have never ever found a good use for Ironhold Assault Armor, for example. If you can't rip out a mech's hips with your tiny claws, what's the point?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Most of the assault BA suits make little sense to me because they give up either/both of the things that can make BA really dangerous: mobility and anti-mech attacks. Most of them just become little more than better armed and maybe more durable foot infantry bases. (depending on what's shooting at them)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm kinda surprised there are so many vehicles, infantry, and mechs for the setting. I love the verity, its really great, but I didn't understand before that it takes 8hrs to play a game with two mechs and one tank. Having so many choices I just assumed big games are normal like in drop zone, but I guess the scale is a lot smaller.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm kinda surprised there are so many vehicles, infantry, and mechs for the setting. I love the verity, its really great, but I didn't understand before that it takes 8hrs to play a game with two mechs and one tank. Having so many choices I just assumed big games are normal like in drop zone, but I guess the scale is a lot smaller.

Oh yeah, at most you are going to be doing maybe 4v4 mechs with no support in an evening if you are playing with physical models in the real world.

Bless megamek for making bigger or more complicated possibile, and massively more playable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

I have never ever found a good use for Ironhold Assault Armor, for example. If you can't rip out a mech's hips with your tiny claws, what's the point?
The standard one isn't great but the Ironhold (Fire) is Hellstar-level broken.

With four AP-Gauss and fire resistant armor they can park forever in a building or some heavy woods and spend the entire game making a 3-6 hex radius a 'no-go' zone. Treat them like a minefield with 60 potential damage. You can park them behind your 'Mechs and trust that no cheeky lights will try for those tasty backshots. They can't even be cleared with plasma cannons or infernos. They're a bargain at 562 bv.

They're also complete monsters in Alpha Strike. Because yes, a Battle Armor did need to have more damage potential than the Summoner.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 2, 2019

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're also complete monsters in Alpha Strike. Because yes, a Battle Armor did need to have more damage potential than the Summoner.

Hahaha, that looks wild. How is the Summoner Prime so bad? I know it's not a min-maxed monster in CBT, but having its damage capped at 4 at all ranges doesn't seem too impressive. Surely a CERPPC should hit a bit harder, right?

CAVEAT: The above may read stupidly because I've never played Alpha Strike and am not very familiar with how it works

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Damage in Alpha Strike is 1 point for every 10 (or fraction thereof) damage a unit does in tabletop. The Summoner actually gets a little leeway here since its LRM-15 averages 9 damage (10+15+9 = 34, which is 3.4 damage that gets rounded up to 4).

4 is actually respectable, most IS heavies get 3-4. Clan heavies average 4-5.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 2, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BULBASAUR posted:

A number of the vehicles are pretty much examples of the myriad of similar units produced everywhere, local variants, knock-offs, etc. There's probably dozen of different Vedette-like tanks out there, not that it's all that hard to slap together a 50 ton shitbox. Or even the "Worse quality than Quikscell" SRM carrier

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 2, 2019

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Damage in Alpha Strike is 1 point for every 10 (or fraction thereof) damage a unit does in tabletop. The Summoner actually gets a little leeway here since its LRM-15 averages 9 damage (10+15+9 = 34, which is 3.4 damage that gets rounded up to 4).

4 is actually respectable, most IS heavies get 3-4. Clan heavies average 4-5.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Summoner's not the only 'Mech that gets the rounding benefit. Alpha Strike rounds oddly, 2-3 damage doesn't usually round up but 4+ usually does. The JagerMech's 14 tabletop damage rounds up to 2 damage in Alpha Strike, which is respectable for its low points value.

The 'mech that benefits the most from rounding is the Jade Hawk. 4 Streak SRM-6s (48 damage, 12 hex range) and 4 ER Small Lasers (20 damage, 6 hex range) rounds its way into a 7 damage 6 hex jumping monstrosity with a 12 hex range

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

How does my son, the Linebacker D, stack up in game terms? http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Card/1889?skill=4

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cool that JF clan get all the good poo poo

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BULBASAUR posted:

Cool that JF clan get all the good poo poo

The Linebacker is nominally a Wolf mech.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DrPop posted:

How does my son, the Linebacker D, stack up in game terms? http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Card/1889?skill=4

7 damage is very close to the stack overflow error effect in Alpha Strike of doing so much damage that a lot of it (that you paid for) gets wasted on targets with way less remaining health than that.

Close. Not quite. It's pretty good. I'd personally prefer a Black Lanner D.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hell yes that's my jam. My favorite Lanner config

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So which clan has the most metal background, name/iconography excluded and why should I paint my minis (when I eventually get them) in their colors rather than something crazy ala Chris Foss?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So which clan has the most metal background, name/iconography excluded and why should I paint my minis (when I eventually get them) in their colors rather than something crazy ala Chris Foss?

Wolverine. Said 'gently caress this Clan poo poo. It's BS'

May have become WoB nutcases.

Also Ghost Bears. 6 Arms. Bears. Later merge with Space Vikings. What else do you need?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 3, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Being "Metal" is incredibly wasteful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just be like me and do Ice Hellions so you can be a big dumb idiot that gets clowned on by other clans. This history of the Fenris Mech has everything you need to know.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Turkina Z has cool numbers

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kill it with fire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just be like me and do Ice Hellions so you can be a big dumb idiot that gets clowned on by other clans. This history of the Fenris Mech has everything you need to know.

Sold

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The best clan is Steel Viper for their arc from ‘sane Warden politics and well trained soldiers’ to ‘build a super star destroyer and directly cause the mass genocide of the homeworld clans.’ The worst clan is Snow Raven because their gimmick (warship fleets) is inherently setting-breaking so all they get to do is gradually lose their fleet. The clans are at their best, story-wise, when pushed to absolute insanity.

Integrating the clans into IS politics so they can do more than occasionally threaten to invade and be stymied by protagonists was one of the setting’s best developments.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

General Battuta posted:

The best clan is Steel Viper for their arc from ‘sane Warden politics and well trained soldiers’ to ‘build a super star destroyer and directly cause the mass genocide of the homeworld clans.’ The worst clan is Snow Raven because their gimmick (warship fleets) is inherently setting-breaking so all they get to do is gradually lose their fleet. The clans are at their best, story-wise, when pushed to absolute insanity.

Integrating the clans into IS politics so they can do more than occasionally threaten to invade and be stymied by protagonists was one of the setting’s best developments.

This is why the Nova Cats are my favorite

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
*were :(

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There's still a few of them around, in the FWL of all places.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

General Battuta posted:

The Vipers death was the most ironic. It's like a man turning on a steamroller and running over everyone.. and then getting off to gloat and not realizing they were now in the path of the steamroller

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Paint 'em all, let Carcosa sort 'em out.

I'm in the middle of hosting a Battletech Royale, which if you're in/near NYC is a large format battle royale for new/curious Battletech players willing to fight to the death. There are absolutely, certainly prizes for those willing to bear their teeth, although not everyone entering is aware of the surprises in store for them.

This will absolutely be one hell of a scenario to bear. PM me for details.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Heavy metal? Obviously clan Hell's Horses:
  • Name has hell in it
  • Hot rod flame color scheme
  • One of their units is the 666th death battalion
  • Fabulous uniforms
  • Its canon that they listen to death metal before battle

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

BULBASAUR posted:

• Its canon that they listen to death metal before battle
Which clan caste does music? Are there five elementals out there jamming as the metal band "Death Point"?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ardlen posted:

Which clan caste does music? Are there five elementals out there jamming as the metal band "Death Point"?

The scientist caste creates a lot of Prog.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I picked up a PDF copy of TRO: Clan Invasion and the introduction is written by a "Star League Loremaster Stephan Roshak", addressed to an ilKhan, and dated to October 24, 3250. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a joke or what

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DrPop posted:

I picked up a PDF copy of TRO: Clan Invasion and the introduction is written by a "Star League Loremaster Stephan Roshak", addressed to an ilKhan, and dated to October 24, 3250. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a joke or what

Not a joke, more a teaser.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

DrPop posted:

I’ve read there was going to be a hundred year time skip but possibly the fan reaction led to them scrapping it. That said, we are set up for a possible ilClan seizing Terra, so...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In general I love the stories Catalyst has told during and after the Jihad. The status quo actually changes, old ‘protagonist’ factions face real adversity, and long-foreshadowed conflicts actually pay off (often catastrophically). But I don’t think I like the *way* these stories are told very much, even in great books like Wars of Reaving. There’s too much focus on detailing every wave of an invasion and every world changing hands. I know this is probably done to inspire Battletech games, but the high-level story gets lost in the sheer granularity of it all.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I’ve read there was going to be a hundred year time skip but possibly the fan reaction led to them scrapping it. That said, we are set up for a possible ilClan seizing Terra, so...

They are releasing a book called 'Ilclan' which is moving the timeline forward to 3250 in 2020, it looks like they might be using it to try and reset tech or something as there is stuff about restricted tech for rebels/gladiators(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The introduction of double heat sinks ruined battletech, quiaff.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 4, 2019