Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The introduction of double heat sinks ruined battletech, quiaff.

Armor and structure advanced, it's twice as tough as it used to be. Weapons advanced, they do twice the damage (so armor values are unchanged and damage numbers don't change) at twice the heat. Everyone's using one-ton compact double heat sinks now to deal with the extra heat, they're so ubiquitous we just call them "Heat Sinks."

And that's how you get rid of DHS without a "we forgot" :cry: handwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The introduction of double heat sinks ruined battletech, quiaff.

neg, the inexorable march of time ruined battletech

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Armor and structure advanced, it's twice as tough as it used to be. Weapons advanced, they do twice the damage (so armor values are unchanged and damage numbers don't change) at twice the heat. Everyone's using one-ton compact double heat sinks now to deal with the extra heat, they're so ubiquitous we just call them "Heat Sinks."

And that's how you get rid of DHS without a "we forgot" :cry: handwave.

Perfect until somebody inevitably wants to run old Brian Cache tech against ‘modern’ mechs.

Maybe invent a plasma weapon that attacks heat sinks by exploiting their own efficiency, so it works dramatically better against DHS mechs. I guess that feels a little silver bullet. Add some kind of ‘dissipation budget’ that your sinks burn through, and DHS uses it up twice as fast? Or more than twice?

e: retcon DHS to burn out over the course of battle; still superior to single heat sinks tactically, but over the course of long campaigns (Tukayyid) it’s a crippling disadvantage if you can’t get replacements. Fits perfectly into the Clan vs. IS doctrine difference too. drat this is actually a great idea!

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 4, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

Perfect until somebody inevitably wants to run old Brian Cache tech against ‘modern’ mechs.

Flag them as primitive, they take double-damage from modern weapons until they're upgraded.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

neg, the inexorable march of time ruined battletech

drat, can't deny it

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Actually, if you look at TRO Succession Wars, they hint at much the same thing (IlKhan, restricted warfare, etcetera)

edit:
lKhan,
You hold in your hands the requested compilation of BattleMechs in operation across the Inner Sphere, beginning in the Age of War, continuing through the time of the First Star League and the Succession Wars, and up to the eve of Operation REVIVAL.

Reviewing the histories of these BattleMechs brings home the wasteful destruction the Inner Sphere barbarians visited upon the Star League as they fought over its carcass. Truly, the Great Kerensky was wise to foresee the tragic fate of the realm he spent his life protecting and securing. Only his dreadfully accurate predictions of the future provided the foundation for our eventual return, and the restoration of the grandeur of the Star League. His insights were not the product of mystical visions or even intelligence gathering. Rather, the Great Father had closely studied humanity’s history, and knew all too well the horrors it could achieve when fueled by ambition. Just as he employed his grasp of history to set us on our path, we too must study the past, so that we can secure the progress of our League over these past decades.

Of course, we must discount the so-called Second Star League as the sham it was. That abomination rightfully fell of its own accord, as the petty members drive to dominate their ancient foes prevented any true reconciliation that would enable the establishment of a League worthy of the name. That this sham League was assembled specifically to fend off we Clans, the only true guardians of the Star League’s legacy, revealed it as a farce. It also ensured its ultimate fate, dead due to apathy of voluntary member-states—lighting the match to the conflagration which became known as the Jihad.

The Word of Blake—a blighted and corrupt organization with foundations in invented mysticism and worship of technology—further delayed our ascension with their vile machinations and wastefulness. The ultimate defeat of that cult caused a malaise and stagnation within our ranks. It took another seven decades for us to complete Kerensky’s quest: To reclaim Terra and re-establish the Star League.

Understanding the future of the League, of course, requires studying the past to prevent errors and tragedies from being repeating. This compilation aids that study. Told in blood and myomer, endo-steel and coherent light, the Inner Sphere’s history is etched into the chassis and cockpits of BattleMechs. From the vacuum of space to the depths of the seas, from mountaintops to the warrens of underground complexes, the BattleMech has reigned supreme on every battlefield humans have created.

The selection of Operation REVIVAL as an end point for this review is intentional. Many new BattleMechs have been introduced since that time, but our analysts have been able to evaluate them as they developed, and their reports are superior to those of questionable Inner Sphere historians and two-century old Wolfnet databases. They are certainly superior to the earliest ComStar-penned treatises, which favored obfuscation and deliberate disinformation.
Reviewing the BattleMechs herein, I was struck once more by the wisdom of retaining their designations, outward appearance, and combat role among the ’Mechs employed by the ilClan today. Honoring the legacy of the Star League required adherence to some of its traditions, making these machines the ancestors to our current ’Mechs, just as the original League is the ancestor to our own.

Moreover, the re-employment of these older BattleMechs in the arena system has helped quell the inherent hostility and intransigence of the freebirth masses of the Inner Sphere. The enormous change they have experienced has been eased both by these gladiatorial contests and by the sight of familiar ’Mechs competing in them. Such machines also provide an effective baseline for the evaluation of potential MechWarriors in the contests, given the prohibition against the use of modern technology by the faux warriors. Finally, the familiarity of these ’Mechs provides a bridge for Spheroid citizens between the past and the present. One wonders, for example, whether the feats of Gunslinger Jázon Marik became so legendary across the Inner Sphere in part because they came at the controls of a Thunderbolt.

In this way, these ancient BattleMechs have come full circle. Once, they were used to tear down the First League and carry out some of the worst atrocities ever committed by mankind. Now, they tie us to the glories of the past while achieving new triumphs in the League’s name, and help vent the ancient animosities of the Inner Sphere.

Rather than view this document as evidence of the barbarism of those you now rule, perhaps consider it an epitaph of that barbarism.
—Star League Loremaster Stephan Roshak
9 July 3250

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 4, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So the clans win

:smugdog::pipe:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Clan Sea Fox eventually buys Terra.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My guess is that Stone arranges to lose Terra to one of the Clans to keep it from capture by House Liao. That or he thinks he's going to sucker one of the Clans into acting as his military arm while he retains political control, but he dies in battle with Alaric/Malvina/whoever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I would love it if they captured Terra but nothing else and they just got to pretend like they had a Star League.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Someone donate $80000 so we can get to $1.5 mil thanks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrPop posted:

Someone donate $80000 so we can get to $1.5 mil thanks

Yes please. Please make BLOODNAMED! worth it

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm donating $100,000 and they're going to retcon the game so CJF never existed

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So I am painting half of the box set (battle master, thunderbolt, shadow hawk and commando) as donegal guard and I am trying to figure the other half. Any suggestions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

So I am painting half of the box set (battle master, thunderbolt, shadow hawk and commando) as donegal guard and I am trying to figure the other half. Any suggestions?

Marik Militia

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Marik Militia

Regulan Hussars would be a good contrast, too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hustlin Floh posted:

same except clan wolf

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hustlin Floh posted:

My last Battletech game I played as Clan Jade Falcon, actually

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

CJF is fun to play as because most all of their regular frontline Omnis have pretty glaring weaknesses, while their secondline mechs are insane (though this is true for a lot of Clan designs, to be fair).

Night Gyr Prime at 3,900 BV with a 3/4 pilot, what up!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Jade Falcons are a perfect bad guy army and I love them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I believe we covered this last page: clans are the good guys

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being in a Clan means you get to get rowdy with your boys and do cool Clanner stuff like lay waste to planets. Being an Inner Sphere pilot means doing boring stuff like reporting to your lovely boss and rescuing useless civilians.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Taintrunner posted:

Being in a Clan means you get to get rowdy with your boys and do cool Clanner stuff like lay waste to planets. Being an Inner Sphere pilot means doing boring stuff like reporting to your lovely boss and rescuing useless civilians.

Hell yeah, boys. The best part of that good Clan Life is constantly ploughing your genetic clone siblings and then getting ourfoxed by some honorless Inner Sphere dogs who dare punch you with their mechs.

jk the best part of clan life is being a huge bitch that everyone clowns on. Clan Ice Hellion forever!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Man I hate how they arranged the boxes, almost every one of them has a mech I really like, 1-2 are ok, and the remainders I dont care for. I am sort of thinking about just getting the first 2-4 boxes on the thought that they will be the first out and just get the others as they come. My biggest concern with that being I have no idea how well I trust them to have the stock for the others and what shipping will be on the piecemeal releases.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R0ckfish posted:

Man I hate how they arranged the boxes, almost every one of them has a mech I really like, 1-2 are ok, and the remainders I dont care for. I am sort of thinking about just getting the first 2-4 boxes on the thought that they will be the first out and just get the others as they come. My biggest concern with that being I have no idea how well I trust them to have the stock for the others and what shipping will be on the piecemeal releases.

Well, I just got an update that they're adding some of the mechs they cut (like the Kodiak) into it's own pack, so that'll be cool.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

Embrace the designs you don't like. Play them as throwaways in your Stars/Lances and come to love them when they somehow headcap or triple-engine TAC a machine twice their size.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A lot of bad 'Mechs are surprisingly viable in Alpha Strike.

Edit: Compare everyone's good buddy the Warhammer to notable 3025 bad joke the JagerMech

Or notable bad and fragile 55 tonner the Shadow Hawk to notable good and durable 55 tonner the Griffin

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 9, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Shadow Hawk is an incredibly reliable trooper and excels in multiple roles.

Truly a thing of beauty (In Alpha Strike)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey we hit $1.5 million woo hoo

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Upgraded to Star Colonel. Gonna have so many new mechs I'll never actually use! :woop:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’ve been reading battletech books for 20-something years now and I just today realized that I had the location of the federated suns and lyran commonwealth reversed the whole time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I’ve been reading battletech books for 20-something years now and I just today realized that I had the location of the federated suns and lyran commonwealth reversed the whole time.

Naturally one expects not-Germany to be east of sorta-not-Britain.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I dunno how lore accurate the scheme is but I did some Donegal Guards:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Those look great, dude! Nice job. Nice to see a lance all painted up. I really like the (amber-ish?) cockpits in particular. What colors did you use for that?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

DrPop posted:

Those look great, dude! Nice job. Nice to see a lance all painted up. I really like the (amber-ish?) cockpits in particular. What colors did you use for that?

Thanks! Its GWs mournfang brown, skrag brown, tau light ochre and ungor flesh.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Cool, thanks for the recipe. Will try it out.

For easy reference, here are all the mechs in the various packs.

Clan:

Inner Sphere:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Does BT still have LAMs?

I remember that they were caught up in some kind of rights struggle but this was 96 or last I paid attention to it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nystral posted:

Does BT still have LAMs?

I remember that they were caught up in some kind of rights struggle but this was 96 or last I paid attention to it.

Yes but they're rare and a mixed bag. The last time they came up was during the Word of Blake Jihad and there was an Iron Wind Metals kickstarter for the WoB ones. Players will swear up and down they're broken but they aren't, it's mostly hearsay based on testimony they heard before.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They're not broken (now) but they are definitely lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
What I like about those graphics is that lot of the design in progress mechs are silhouettes of the MWO version with a fake base added.

and that the Stalker has its legs directly facing the camera as to not hedge any bets on which way its knees face.