Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

when i was in little league i was a very tiny person and my coach told me to crouch and i'm pretty sure i would've had like an .850 OBP if i never swung the bat, but you play little league ball to swing because that's what is fun and also most of the time i was afraid of the ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
A week ago the Astros had a shot at home field advantage throughout the playoffs, feels like pie in the sky thinking now

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Chris Sale to the IL with elbow inflammation

Unknown if he will pitch again this year..

quote:

Do the Red Sox expect Sale to pitch again this season?

“I don’t know. I don’t know one way or another at this point, before we have more information,” said Dombrowski. “The other doctors will look at his information, look at his MRIs and then he’ll determine if he wants to go see them or not. The first one will be Dr. [James] Andrews.”
...or next year

They've made him unavailable to media which doesn't seem good. Article also points out that this is an issue he hasn't been dealing with all season and came up after his last start on Tuesday.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I literally love Gio Urshela as if he was a member of my own family.

poo poo, same

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

Chris Sale to the IL with elbow inflammation

Unknown if he will pitch again this year..

...or next year

They've made him unavailable to media which doesn't seem good. Article also points out that this is an issue he hasn't been dealing with all season and came up after his last start on Tuesday.

the sorcerer's apprentice will have to conjure up another sale by enchanting a spare broom

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have a love/hate relationship with pitching because on the one hand nasty pitching might be my favorite aspect of the game and it's insane watching these dudes throw balls over 100MPH with crazy movement and I wonder how on earth there are human beings who can see that and go "why yes I can hit that with a loving wooden stick 400+ feet" and goddamn I love this sport.

On the other hand it's incredibly clear the human body was not designed to pitch and I find myself constantly loving gutted every year over the sheer number of incredibly talented pitchers who get catastrophically injured because their elbows just couldn't take it any more.

e. Like I'm legitimately still upset over Taillon because he seems like an incredibly cool dude and is an immense talent, and he's going to lose like the third full season of his career because of injury. gently caress PED's just let pitchers get adamantium joints.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao none of these dumb teams want to win the NL central

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Sydin posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with pitching because on the one hand nasty pitching might be my favorite aspect of the game and it's insane watching these dudes throw balls over 100MPH with crazy movement and I wonder how on earth there are human beings who can see that and go "why yes I can hit that with a loving wooden stick 400+ feet" and goddamn I love this sport.

On the other hand it's incredibly clear the human body was not designed to pitch and I find myself constantly loving gutted every year over the sheer number of incredibly talented pitchers who get catastrophically injured because their elbows just couldn't take it any more.

e. Like I'm legitimately still upset over Taillon because he seems like an incredibly cool dude and is an immense talent, and he's going to lose like the third full season of his career because of injury. gently caress PED's just let pitchers get adamantium joints.

:same: OP

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aaron Boone is a baby.

quote:

When Mike Ford climbed on the mound Thursday night, almost everyone at Yankee Stadium was laughing. Luis Severino had to cover his face with the front of his hoodie from getting caught on the TV cameras cracking up with the rest of the Yankees dugout. Even Ford was on the mound laughing after giving up one of two home runs.

About the only one not enjoying himself as Ford finished off a 19-5 Yankees loss was Aaron Boone. The Yankees manager said Friday he sees some merit to a regular-season “mercy rule,” where games could be called instead of going through the motions to finish a game that’s been over for innings.

“I think there would be a lot of benefits to that,” Boone said before Thursday’s game against Cleveland at the Stadium. “I think you’d probably eliminate a lot of unwritten rules; the people running and swinging at 3-0 pitches in the ‘wrong scores.’ If you get to this point after seven innings or whatever... there might be something to that, some merit to that and worth exploring.

“It’s not fun to have to put in a position player in that kind of situation. Even though for Ford and some of the guys, it’s fun and guys can have some fun with that,” Boone continued. “But sitting in my chair, you worry about hurting someone. Throwing up the flag like that and sitting there and getting kicked in the mouth is no fun."

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Bet he didnt want a mercy rule when he beat Baltimore 14-2

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Brett Gardner seems like a giant tool with anger issues, given how often he pops up on Cut4’s insta account for pounding his bat on the dugout roof.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

absolute bonkers game in DC

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

R.D. Mangles posted:

absolute bonkers game in DC

Thank you I just turned it on. They play again at 1:30 Eastern tomorrow so lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holy poo poo they've combined for 18 pitchers so far.

How.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Logan Webb is the first SF Giants starting pitcher to win his MLB debut since 2009, and the second since 2000.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

Holy poo poo they've combined for 18 pitchers so far.

How.

Look at the score.

Crew won though so that's good.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Somehow not a scheduled tweet:

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1162951051651289088?s=19

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Little chuckle in the Brewers-Nats that after all that time J. Guerra got the win and J. Guerra took the loss.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
I could have gone with my dad to that game, but instead I decided to go visit my sister who I don't get to see much. This was the right decision because I would have absolutely died at that game. It would have meant that my last 3 Nat games would have been Trea Turner's cycle, the Nats 10 run inning against the Reds and whatever the gently caress that was, which I guess would have been neat though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Tbh that was the ideal Braves game. They beat a better team, didnt gently caress up at the end and Luke Jackson still got booed. Perfect in all ways.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1162943697065062400

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

I love this very much

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

:five:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:drat:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:yeshaha:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:yeshaha:

e:fb.

The Mets actually scored 4 runs in a deGrom start! That raises the average number of runs scored in his starts to 3.88- only Alcantara on Miami (who has the worst offense in baseball) and Hendricks (who the Cubs hitters hate for some reason) have to deal with worse in the NL. This seems to be deGrom's cross to bear, other than 2017, when he was 35th from bottom in run support, he's gotten 2nd least support in 2016, 2nd least support in 2018, and now 3rd least in 2019.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 18, 2019

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here's a picture of me watching the end of that game

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mercy rule is actually a good idea but it should be dire, like ahead by 10 runs at the end of the 7th inning.

The better solution to all of this would be allow 3 more pitchers in the bullpen and you'd never really face this rest problem. But you know, that would cost the owners money.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It's felt like there have been a lot more of those unadvertised double headers than there were 10 years ago, but maybe I'm just becoming an old man who goes to bed before 10 on a Saturday

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think there are more off days so the season starts earlier, hence more March / April rainouts and more doubleheaders as a consequence

I’d need confirmation tho I’m kind of speculating

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:perfect:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

I think there are more off days so the season starts earlier, hence more March / April rainouts and more doubleheaders as a consequence

I’d need confirmation tho I’m kind of speculating

I meant the like 16-18 inning games

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Why exactly was Brett Gardner hitting the dugout with a bat? Also he looks like an angry white skinhead from an action movie.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I meant the like 16-18 inning games

God I’m an idiot and very hungover lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/IowaCubsGameDay/status/1162874137183969281

This tweet has broken my brain.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Mine is broken too :psyduck:

Unrelated
https://twitter.com/cut4/status/1163143978084159489?s=21

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:kingsley:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

oh my god, i love this

Other things I love: Anthony Rizzo

https://twitter.com/MBDChicago/status/1163133949629161473?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It was pointed out to me a little bit ago that starter ERA's this year are LOWER than reliever ERAs.

Not by much, 4.52 to 4.54, but that seems really wrong considering your average starter has had an ERA+ of 96 and your average reliever an ERA+ of like 108 in years past.