Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cardinals lost. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Christian Yelich owns

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

This page is already off to a good start, IMO.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

I have this vague recollection that could be a fever dream I had or something that the forkball is an absolute elbow destroyer

Both the forkball and splitter are considered to be hell on elbows nowadays.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Timby posted:

Screwball, too, IIRC

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought the slider was the elbow killer

In the pre-TJ era, who are some names that had career ending ucl tears

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Screwball, too, IIRC

The screwball isn't an elbow-killer, it's just incredibly rare because it's ridiculously difficult to throw on a consistent basis. I remember Yu Darvish used to throw one in Texas and eventually ditched it.

zoux posted:

Slurves are what ended Kerry Wood and Mark Prior's careers.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

The screwball isn't an elbow-killer, it's just incredibly rare because it's ridiculously difficult to throw on a consistent basis. I remember Yu Darvish used to throw one in Texas and eventually ditched it.

Slurves are what ended Kerry Wood and Mark Prior's careers.

Well, that and Dusty Baker.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Of course all the cool pitches my guy throws in RTTS are the ones that are hell on elbows IRL.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

I've seen this a few times now but is there anything out there that conclusively proves it?

zoux posted:

I think the issue with sliders and UCLs is when you throw them wrong and supinate to generate the spin. Apparently pronation doesn't actually put too much strain on your ligaments (comparatively, at least) whereas supination is really, really stressful.

The main corollary to UCL injuries is still just velo though, as far as I know.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 28, 2019

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Inspector_666 posted:

I've seen this a few times now but is there anything out there that conclusively proves it?

I think the issue with sliders and UCLs is when you throw them wrong and supinate to generate the spin. Apparently pronation doesn't actually put too much strain on your ligaments (comparatively, at least) whereas supination is really, really stressful.

The main corollary to UCL injuries is still just velo though, as far as I know.

As far as I know there is just anecdotes on splitters (or any other pitch) causing more UCL damage than other pitches. It would be really interesting to look at Tommy John rates in the MLB compared to the NPB, since they throw all the supposedly bad for your arm pitches way more commonly in Japan than in the states.They also don't really do pitch count limits. Based on that you would expect their surgery rate to be much higher.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't NPB starters only pitch every sixth day though?

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Don't NPB starters only pitch every sixth day though?

Yeah that's true, I forgot about that. I am not sure if that necessarily counteracts the higher pitch counts, but its definitely worth noting.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Next time a pitcher throws at a dude, they should do this:

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1166815802303090689

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ammat The Ankh posted:

...ok sometimes bunt

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This owns

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just another point in the "bunting rules" column

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I definitely thought they meant verbally blast, nope, lit him the gently caress up.

Amazing.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I get plays at the plate being banned for safety but baseball needs an instance where you can just truck a motherfucker once in a while

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Who was that Phillies fan goon who was training under Mike Marshal, speaking of pronation

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just learned a hosed up stat: the White Sox have never played an opponent in a post-season series more than once. Every other team in MLB has.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I love how Bob Johnson, after his massive clocking, holds the ball up momentarily, with a certain pride, before he realizes gently caress the ball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm the first baseman who's all "yeah nah you ain't touching the bag" and drags the runner into foul territory as he tries to run past me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The same two teams were in the infamous 10-cent beer night game five days later.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

I just learned a hosed up stat: the White Sox have never played an opponent in a post-season series more than once. Every other team in MLB has.

drat, they've only played 11 postseason series (in 9 postseason trips) in the span of 119 seasons.

The Red Sox have had 11 in the last 11 seasons (if my counting is correct).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Everyone should just throw the gyro ball forever. It's definitely a thing, going to dominate the majors.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I had read about the 10 cent beer night but I guess not in depth. Fans were literally tearing the seats apart and using pieces of them as weapons. The home team had to fight their own fans off with bats because the visiting team’s lives were in danger as hundreds of fans stormed the field with knives, chains, and other weapons.

Makes the Malice in the Palace seem like a pillow fight.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Aristides Aquino has a higher SLG% through 100 PAs than Jeff Francoeur, but fell short of Francoeur in SLG% thru 25 Games. I'm sure this is what every Reds fan was waiting on: Jeff Francoeur comparisons.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sab0921 posted:

Everyone should just throw the gyro ball forever. It's definitely a thing, going to dominate the majors.

Passan made an entire career on that lol

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

New Concept Hole posted:

Aristides Aquino has a higher SLG% through 100 PAs than Jeff Francoeur, but fell short of Francoeur in SLG% thru 25 Games. I'm sure this is what every Reds fan was waiting on: Jeff Francoeur comparisons.

every rookie slugger is frenchy until proven otherwise

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/historiancole/status/1166716954146742272

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Very important words from Charlie Manuel

https://twitter.com/CMBaseball41/status/1166684141301239809?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

hosed up if true

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Yeah sure, but have you considered:

https://twitter.com/CMBaseball41/status/1162593274311454722

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs have won their first asterisk-less road series since May.

Although you can also say that the Cubs have won their second* road series in a row :v:

*You could argue the Pirates series was a split on the road next to a win in neutral territory, but eh

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

not enjoying the Kimbrel Experience tbh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Agreed personally I pine for the days of closing duties being handled by Stro-... oh wait, I mean Cish-... oh...

Like :lol: if you think this shitshow of a pen is better without Kimbrel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Morrow was a solid as hell closer for like the 20 innings he wasn't dead I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Yeah that's true, I forgot about that. I am not sure if that necessarily counteracts the higher pitch counts, but its definitely worth noting.

NPB rosters 6 starters, and generally other then a few times a year all teams have an off day every Monday. So a NPB starter will pitch about once a week. And some teams ride their starters harder then others. And their season is 142 games.