Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
just started 3 and I'm so happy to be back in the Yakuza world

it's a bit jarring to go back to these graphics after playing other games (Destiny 2!) in glorious 4K HDR, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1166926680767815680?s=20

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

curried lamb of God posted:

just started 3 and I'm so happy to be back in the Yakuza world

it's a bit jarring to go back to these graphics after playing other games (Destiny 2!) in glorious 4K HDR, though

You'll get used to it. I just finished 3 as well as every single one of its substories and it was an absolute joy beginning to end. gently caress I love this series.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Uhh the turn based rpg yakuza april fools turned out to be real apparently? Hopefully its just a side story or something else

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1166931904903254022

https://twitter.com/game_watch/status/1166932295015518208

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Uhh the turn based rpg yakuza april fools turned out to be real apparently? Hopefully its just a side story or something else

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1166931904903254022

I'm betting a side thing like Clan Builder.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1166930307486035968

Yokohama???

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
It very much sounds like its how the new game plays since the main character is "a huge Dragon Quest fanboy" to the point where they are able to name drop the series in game. The characters have job classes and everything apparently that they can change.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think this may be the actual video game y'all

it'd be a weird choice to officially announce this game and then only show a side mode for gameplay

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I remember it being awkward how in Yakuza 0 they mentioned a game that was "Not Dragon Quest".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, sure, gently caress it why not

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I see this as a way to further emphasize heat moves.

Not too into it but im curious to see it play out.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what a crazy choice

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9_L2TA0IEY

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Honestly, I think the design team has hit a brick wall with the brawler gameplay. It's always been functional, but never the first thing you want to tell other people about (Beyond the heat moves.)

Leaning harder into the "rpg" part of "action-rpg" could be really cool.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I would have wanted something in between this and the usual format, like with a party you can build and tactics to choose but you're still doing direct inputs. That said I'll follow this dev team into hell.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

TheLoser posted:

Honestly, I think the design team has hit a brick wall with the brawler gameplay. It's always been functional, but never the first thing you want to tell other people about (Beyond the heat moves.)

Leaning harder into the "rpg" part of "action-rpg" could be really cool.

Unless I'm mistaken this is just an RPG

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

an actual dog posted:

That said I'll follow this dev team into hell.

This is basically where I'm at.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Sure, I'm game. If it sucks and everyone hates it, it'll just go back the way it was anyway so why not try something new?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

an actual dog posted:

Unless I'm mistaken this is just an RPG

"Turn-based action?" Regardless, I'm just glad they're trying something new. The cutscenes in the trailer have got a pretty wacky tone going on -- like they wanted to make a game about Kiryu and Majima again without doing another prequel.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

TheLoser posted:

"Turn-based action?" Regardless, I'm just glad they're trying something new. The cutscenes in the trailer have got a pretty wacky tone going on -- like they wanted to make a game about Kiryu and Majima again without doing another prequel.

I think it was meant to be more along the lines a Criminal Dramedy rather than Criminal Drama. Given Ichiban's lack of respect in the Tojo, he expects the worst case scenario and just rolls with the beatings, humiliation and having to put up with whatever poo poo the Arakawa must endure for the sake of the Tojo

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'm kind of already digging the big old mechanic looking too tired for all of this poo poo as one of Ichiban's buddies, specially the scene where they're doing the buddy cop jumping out of a tall building from an explosion scene

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I welcome this because why the gently caress not and Nagoshi even straight up says if people hate it they'll just change it back for the next game.

I do hope they do some side games again though like Judgment with the series' regular combat though - the new engine is cool and it'd be nice to have just one more game that goes all out with the brawler combat.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
what the heck

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll tell you guys an ill-kept secret about me: I'll play any and all turn-based RPGs you put in front of me

but especially Yakuza

e: although with the usual Yakuza design it'll be like "the boss gets twice the actions per turn you do cause gently caress you specifically"; eh whatever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is weird as hell but I already play a ton of jrpgs and now yakuza is one so

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, sure, gently caress it why not

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have no idea what to expect from Yakuza 7, but I'll play it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They could sell actual poo poo and I'd still preorder the digital version to get my turds a week early then double dip for the special physical crap with a little flag in it calling me an rear end in a top hat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man this sucks. I really don’t wanna play ankther turn based party focused JRPG, it just really shuts my brain off. DQ11 is what I play when I have insomnia, it makes black out almost instantly.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think this is cool as poo poo and am real interested to see how it turns out, and I also have a kind of vague fear the relatively new western fanbase will immediately stop caring about it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
just gently caress me up nagoshi

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
If this was a spin off I'd get it but changing the mainline series into a jrpg is insane.

e: I really like jrpgs, just prefer Yakuza to be really high tech River City Ransom games

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CarlCX posted:

I think this is cool as poo poo and am real interested to see how it turns out, and I also have a kind of vague fear the relatively new western fanbase will immediately stop caring about it.

its okay, they got 3 more games dropped on them to finish before 6 and then 7. not counting FotNS and Judgement

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KungFu Grip posted:

its okay, they got 3 more games dropped on them to finish before 6 and then 7. not counting FotNS and Judgement

Unless you already went out of your way to beat Yakuza 3-5 after finishing Kiwami 1 like me :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm sure I'll see Ichiban in his own eventually but for now hearing Nishiki's VA do the Nishiki voice makes me miss Nishiki immeasurably. :smith:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

mycot posted:

I'm sure I'll see Ichiban in his own eventually but for now hearing Nishiki's VA do the Nishiki voice makes me miss Nishiki immeasurably. :smith:

Bakamitai

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Bakamitai

ichiban morosely thinking about his first copy of dragon quest that no longer works

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Oh, they found a way to make me turned off from a Yakuza announcement the first time since Dead Souls...

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I mean the heat/ex actions are basically turn based skills already, position yourself, use the skill points (heat bar/segment) to do a special move, it's not like you're the one actually doing all the cool poo poo, and then replenish your skill points(heat bar/segment) with alcohol/tauriner. I think at this point RGG has early earned our trust to make something cool and fun.

That said, I don't really like the look of the new guy very much

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Although what I'd really have loved for them to do would have been hand the gameplay design over to Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/1166983826439954432