Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

To a lesser degree Freddy Got Fingered?

Netflix has probably funded something that went off the rails at some point. If not multiple times.

You're absolutely right, Freddy Got Fingered is another great example on a smaller scale.

I don't really count Netflix because they throw money at everything and rarely give a poo poo how it turns out. They already have your subscription, it's not as big of a gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So when is Netflix making Gremlins 3?

Holy poo poo, I just looked it up and there actually is a Gremlins 3 in development. Its got Chris Columbus writing the script and it’s supposed to be a dark reboot with minimal CGI. How has Netflix not grabbed this yet.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Surely the greatest example of 'giving a relatively unknown weirdo a pile of money and the keys to a huge franchise' remains Peter 'Dead Alive' Jackson being given the Lord of the Rings trilogy and about 300 million dollars to do it.

Dead Alive > Heavenly Creatures > The Frighteners (which flopped hard) > The Lord of the Motherfucking Rings

The formula does usually work out, though. Tim Burton doing Batman. Sam Raimi doing Spider-Man. Let actual nerds do the nerd movies.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Sep 3, 2019

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Mediocre!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Imagined posted:

Dead Alive > Heavenly Creatures > The Frighteners (which flopped hard) > The Lord of the Motherfucking Rings

And before Dead Alive/Braindead, he had Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’d say Bound (a goddamn masterpiece) -> The Matrix (another goddamn masterpiece) was a pretty big jump.

Allegedly they intentionally spent the entire Matrix budget making the first 30 minutes of the movie then used that as a demo reel to get more, so this may not have been as dramatic as Jackson, who had multiple great on time & budget flicks to his name.

By the way, Matrix re-release in Dolby Cinema this week is astonishing. I really had forgotten what a *perfect* movie that is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jackson got LOTR for two main reasons. First, he had his own small special effects company(WETA) which was a big part of the pitch he made to the producer. Of course, for LOTR the company had to be hugely expanded and the work they did before really was not relevant to what LOTR became, but still the idea of a director that came with is own sfx people was very attractive.

Secondly, LOTR was regarded as a gamble anyway. It's not like they hired Jackson to do The Force Awakens or an Avengers movie or something that was known to be bankable, the entire project was thought of as a huge risk. And the initial plan was to do a single LOTR film for a reasonable budget, then the thing kinda snowballed as they went along and eventually Jackson was able to sell the idea of a trilogy but that wasn't his initial pitch.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Also irritating, how on earth is that movie so honest-to-God boring.

I started watching it last night, couldn't finish, gave up after 40 minutes.

The other thing that was really impressive was how lovely the production values were. It looked like a network television production. I like that they just gave up and put Jennifer Lawrence in a yellow jumpsuit at one point, which makes me wonder why they bothered with the terrible blue makeup at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Gremlins 2 is so meta that the Gremlins are actively watching Gremlins 2 in the movie.

Which only proves that they have seen Gremlins. They wouldn't have wanted to see the sequel otherwise.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Phanatic posted:

The other thing that was really impressive was how lovely the production values were. It looked like a network television production. I like that they just gave up and put Jennifer Lawrence in a yellow jumpsuit at one point, which makes me wonder why they bothered with the terrible blue makeup at all.

If you do a side-by-side of all 4 movies you can see how the rise of stardom led to the downfall of the makeup. I don't blame her. Not everybody has the patience of Jim Carrey doing The Grinch, especially if it's for something you signed up long ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

If you do a side-by-side of all 4 movies you can see how the rise of stardom led to the downfall of the makeup. I don't blame her. Not everybody has the patience of Jim Carrey doing The Grinch, especially if it's for something you signed up long ago.

And also if the character is poo poo. It's not like she could tell herself she was sacrificing for a really great role. Carrey at least could say "hey I'm The Grinch here, kids have been waiting for this for decades, we have to do it right!"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Frighteners was dope as hell tho

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
My wife’s a Howard Stern fan, and when Jennifer Lawrence did an interview a while back for Red Sparrow, Howard brought up his love of the X-Men franchise and you can tell by the tone shift in her voice that it left a sour taste in her mouth. But earlier in the interview she brought up how these producers were body shaming her on a movie shoot. And Howard even was like come on tell me who did that, that’s awful I want to loving call them out and whatnot. It took me a second listen, but I put two and two together and figured it had to be the producers on the X-Men franchise, most likely on Days of Future Past. It made sense, she was locked in a contract back on First Class and was forcibly obligated to put on the blues scales. So hearing that she got to stay out of make up makes me think someone important heard that interview as well and told those producers they’re loving rear end in a top hat morons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Jennifer Lawrence's time as the "It" girl in Hollywood was really not kind to her and I wouldn't be shocked at all if she kinda just faded away into early retirement(by her own choice). The lovely X-Men contract that she was trapped in, the situation with the nude pictures that leaked online, recently a high-profile flop with Red Sparrow, she's just had a rough go of it for the past few years.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Saw this tweet somewhere else and thought of this thread.
https://twitter.com/robertpicardo/status/1168064831074648065

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gremlins consume media at an astounding rate and that influences how they dress, act, and behave. So the answer is they watched the original Gremlins movie.

That's how meta Gremlins 2 is.

And they figured that out by watching Spaceballs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I was curious, so I've just watched it.

Good god it's boring. The whole plot is a constant string of "and then they go here, and then they leave, and then someone else goes there, and then this and then that" with no tension or threat. The only way you can tell that the final fight is the finale is because you're getting near the end.

The spaceship rescue is bland and nonsensical (lets send our shapeshifter, she'll be useful in space!) it's full of random lines about "emotions are your weakness" that don;t have any set-up so it's clear they're dropped in just so we can pretend there's some meaning to our punch-mans punching each other. There's no reason behind anything Jean Gray does - sometimes she's angry, sometimes she's scared, sometimes she's totally in control and happy to torture people with her powers. At least in X3 it made sense that she was angrily lashing out at a world that tried to control her.

Yeah, I'm saying it - X-Men 3 is a better movie than this crap.

The highlight of the movie was going to the wikipedia page, and seeing the heading "Cancelled Sequel and Upcoming Reboot", which the most Comic Book Movie thing ever.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The only part of that film that I truly felt was worth my time is when Quicksilver started revving up for another speedster scene and Jean just sort of casually glances in his direction and it punks him. And even that only worked because the prior two films had demonstrated his incredible depth of ability.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Saw this tweet somewhere else and thought of this thread.
https://twitter.com/robertpicardo/status/1168064831074648065

Star Trek Voyager did not deserve Robert Picardo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The rest of us didn't deserve Star Trek Voyager.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Voyager only benefits by comparison with the absolute dregs that came afterward. It wasn't good, but at least it was Actual Star Trek.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Young me was a big fan of seven of Nine

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah this is the best example to me. "I'm taking $160 million to the deserts of Namibia, don't disturb me for six months because at the end of it I'm going to give you pure magic".

Also, Voyager did give us Obama, so it's got that going for it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Memento posted:

Also, Voyager did give us Obama, so it's got that going for it.
I've not seen a Star Trek since I was a kid, can you elaborate?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's some wild chain of events where Voyager caused Jeri Ryan's divorce, which caused her husband to quit his re-election campaign which let Obama run unopposed to become a senator or something like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I've not seen a Star Trek since I was a kid, can you elaborate?

Jeri Ryan was married to a real creep who took her to sex clubs and tried to make her have sex with randos. They divorced while living in LA when she was working on Voyager. Then her ex husband ran for state Senate in Illinois and the divorce records were made public causing him to drop out of the race. Which let his opponent, Barack Obama, run unopposed. Obama parlayed the win into a speaking gig at the DNC in 04 and the rest is history.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

muscles like this! posted:

Jeri Ryan was married to a real creep who took her to sex clubs and tried to make her have sex with randos. They divorced while living in LA when she was working on Voyager. Then her ex husband ran for state Senate in Illinois and the divorce records were made public causing him to drop out of the race. Which let his opponent, Barack Obama, run unopposed. Obama parlayed the win into a speaking gig at the DNC in 04 and the rest is history.

Excellent retelling and I appreciate it, cheers!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Old me (also known as present me) likes 7 of 9 as well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there ever been another bad show but with great characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8oe-GYhECg

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Phanatic posted:

My favorite scene is when Magneto and Jean Grey are battling over control of a helicopter but neither of their powers are visualized on screen so it just looks like the scene from south park of Cartman having a psychic battle with the other psychics

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Watching Gotham and enjoying the madness, though hear that Fish Mooney is kinda clearly a writer's favourite who gets a lot of subplots that don't really go anywhere. But I'm not complaining because she's just so drat fun to watch.

Something similar with Barbara, though more because I find it amusing she comes home to find a couple of street kids squatting at her place and is like 'yeah, sure, what the hell'.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching Gotham and enjoying the madness, though hear that Fish Mooney is kinda clearly a writer's favourite who gets a lot of subplots that don't really go anywhere. But I'm not complaining because she's just so drat fun to watch.

Something similar with Barbara, though more because I find it amusing she comes home to find a couple of street kids squatting at her place and is like 'yeah, sure, what the hell'.

Jada Pinkett-Smith being given an excuse to climb the walls and eat all the scenery is the best thing about Gotham.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Some people hated Fish but I thought she was fine. Barbara starts boring but I love where they take her character as the show goes on. I guess my IIM is that there's not more of the show even though it ended well and it made sense to end it there. It was just so fun to watch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pilchenstein posted:

It's some wild chain of events where Voyager caused Jeri Ryan's divorce, which caused her husband to quit his re-election campaign which let Obama run unopposed to become a senator or something like that.

This still doesn't beat Babylon 5 causing the death of Princess Diana.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has there ever been another bad show but with great characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8oe-GYhECg

My favourite scene was when a crewman (Kim or Paris) was in medbay, asleep after an injury.

The captain asked the doctor if he can wake him up, so he leans in close and just shouts "Wake up!" in his ear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not even out of the first season and they're already making Florida jokes about Gotham. I wonder the equivalent of 'Florida Man' would be.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My favourite scene was when a crewman (Kim or Paris) was in medbay, asleep after an injury.

The captain asked the doctor if he can wake him up, so he leans in close and just shouts "Wake up!" in his ear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNldsEX9pF0&t=13s

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

This still doesn't beat Babylon 5 causing the death of Princess Diana.

lolwut

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Yeah I'm going to need that explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Blast Fantasto posted:

In terms of an actual great movie with absurd brown face, hard to top Charlton Heston as a Mexican federale in Touch of Evil.
I've always been amazed at Fisher Stevens playing an Indian programmer, complete with absurdly stereotypical accent, in Short Circuit.