Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At that age, do you even have an offspeed pitch to shake off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The LLWS kids apparently throw curveballs, which is almost certainly terrible for their arms lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
did they get a closeup of his expression after the pitch he chose got absolutely smoked over the fence

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

did they get a closeup of his expression after the pitch he chose got absolutely smoked over the fence

He did the "oh poo poo" lean back and watch how far it goes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BTW that's from the 2016 LLWS and that team, Maine-Endwell, won the whole fuckin thing

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The exact moment when someone realizes they aren't actually good enough at something they love to do it for a living.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
mlb.com going for that big jinx

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Is <team that is currently tied with another for the best record in the majors> the new <team that walked away with the best record by ~20 games in a shorter season>???

e: oh and also the team that they are tied with in the first one is the same team as the second one of course

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When Yordan was white hot and Correa was healthy it did feel a little Murderer's Rowy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

GalacticAcid posted:

The LLWS kids apparently throw curveballs, which is almost certainly terrible for their arms lol

at that age they're throwing with like a slider grip and not a ton of arm snap. they don't really throw hard enough to have any serious aerodynamic action on the ball so the result is something more like a changeup.

I dunno how it is now, but back in the day coaches didn't start teaching proper breaking stuff until you'd gone through a bit of puberty and you were more filled out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

On the plus side, Yuli is supposed to be back this week and Correa... well, Yuli is supposed to be back this week

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

On the plus side, Yuli is supposed to be back this week and Correa... well, Yuli is supposed to be back this week

There as an At Bat article last week with a headline that read something like “Correa feels happy, healthy, and at ease” and all I could think was “yeah no poo poo, he’s spent most of the season doing BP, back stretches, and rehab starts”.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I’d guess he throws a 4 seam and a change or sinker, something that can come from the same arm slot. I started tinkering around with/ was taught those before I learned a real breaking ball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There as an At Bat article last week with a headline that read something like “Correa feels happy, healthy, and at ease” and all I could think was “yeah no poo poo, he’s spent most of the season doing BP, back stretches, and rehab starts”.

He's a 2.8 bWAR player with half a season worth of PAs, if he can be healthy for the playoffs that's enough

Despite the time missed he's only 5 HR short of his career high

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It's going to own when the Astros get swept in the ALDS

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently he does an hour long back treatment regimen after ever game which sounds line no long-term issue at all, to me

quote:

Correa was out from June 29-Aug. 10 last year because of his back and struggled to get comfortable at the plate in the second half and playoffs. He hit the winter determined to be better conditioned, taking up yoga and vowing to work smarter this year on his conditioning.

Earlier this season, Correa detailed his new postgame workout regimen for his back, which takes him an hour to complete. He does foam-roll therapy and alternates between dunks in hot-water and cold-water tanks. The routine paid off because Correa was having a terrific season before he broke a rib getting a massage at his home May 28, landing him on the injured list again.

I assume the combat massages are part of his back treatment too

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Papi :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1171202537573273600

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I thought the “Torrano Beisbol Bird” was lonely, so I made it a friend

My only regret is that I don’t know how to make gifs so its eyes rotate too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Every evil team has one person you can't bring yourself to hate.

Papi is that dude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

Every evil team has one person you can't bring yourself to hate.

Papi is that dude.

Nah, for the Red Sox it's Pedro or Tim Wakefield.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

Nah, for the Red Sox it's Pedro or Tim Wakefield.

Papi is post-Pedro to me. Wakefield I accept your argument.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Javy out for the regular season, which means the season

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/1171214968630501376

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's going to own when the Astros get swept in the ALDS
:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Granderson: HoF or no?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Yeah that's the season for the Cubs, getting knocked out in the WC is about their ceiling.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm curious if Yordan is the first player to ever hit two 400+ foot bombs in the first two innings

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

:rip:

That said 2020 could legitimately be a really good season if we make decent offseason moves. Fingers crossed we don't throw a $200M contract at Castellanos and watch him turn into a pumpkin.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

iospace posted:

he's a great guy but sadly as a player he's not even close

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

I love him and he's an awesome guy, but Hall of Fame? Hell no.

Poque posted:

gently caress, condolences.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That looks like it for the Cubs World Series hopes, but it seems like the Cardinals could fall apart for any non-Flaherty start still, they've been playing too well lately for it to last at this level.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

iospace posted:

Hall of Really Nice Guys Who Could Probably be a Good Manager.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

As someone that has hated the Red Sox for years and years, its great to see Papi healthy and happy, walking around well. Its a blessing he is OK after what happened.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Honored him by being shut out at home by the Yankees

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zapplez posted:

As someone that has hated the Red Sox for years and years, its great to see Papi healthy and happy, walking around well. Its a blessing he is OK after what happened.

Seeing him run up the dugout steps is fantastic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Seeing him run up the dugout steps is fantastic.

Yeah, everyone I've watched that with tonight has lit up when they saw how well he was moving and how good he looked.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nico hoerner rules

it's going to be javy, nico, bote, robel next year, dunk addison russell into the nearest toilet

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miz Kriss posted:

I thought the “Torrano Beisbol Bird” was lonely, so I made it a friend

My only regret is that I don’t know how to make gifs so its eyes rotate too

Very nice work!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Hed posted:

Very nice work!

Thanks! One of my friends wants it on a shirt, so I spent more time than I should making sure it looks nice enough to print. :v:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Hi baseball goons,

I have a passing interest in baseball and I'm going to be in Houston next week for work from the UK. I figured I might try and catch a game whilst I'm out there and it looks like I've got a choice between watching them play the Rangers or Angels.

Firstly, which of the 2 would be the better matchup? Presumably, Trout returns from day to day in time and it's a good chance to watch him hit dingers – I know literally nothing about the Rangers.

Secondly, whats the ballpark like? How easy is it to get to from north Houston (The Woodlands/Spring)? Decent food or bars there/around the park? My benchmark is Marlins park which was pretty nice.

Lastly, as a pasty Englishman who likes sub 80s temperatures am I going to die in the heat or is it a relatively comfortable park?

Cheers!

Zip! fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

Honored him by being shut out at home by the Yankees

Lame, but still beats your last dumbass Ortiz post :shrug: