Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Hmm.. in regards to DFS.

Is there really any necessary reason to throw it in failover cluster manager? I noticed it's a role in that.

I just installed DFS on two of my file servers and they both share the same namespace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It all depends on how highly available within your maintenance windows you need your files to be. DFS by its nature is a persistent name space with capability of replicating the files for site availability, failover makes that namespace and replication highly available. DFS is also jet-based system and always has the possibility of corruption and fall into a resync hell. 2012 R2 and later do a lot to remediate this behavior, but if you could prevent it from the get-go i would.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I'm not too familiar with hosting Windows servers in the cloud but it's become a requirement for one of our servers. The problem is that this ancient service that will be on the server only works over telnet sessions. So those familiar with AWS or Azure, can you setup private networks that you can create a VPN connection to so they can continue using insecure telnet to the server? Is this a thing?

edit: nvm looks like it's called VPC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes, it's really simple to do. AWS, Azure, Google all support it. If the service is critical then you can have redundant tunnels and run BGP, or have a private link into your nearest region.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Looking for an application similar to Cacti but isn't cacti to monitor performance and keep a historical log to review performance trends for physical/virtual servers.

Any recommendations? I am hoping for it to be on-prem but I am open to cloud based as well.

I would like to have graph/performance data on CPU, Memory, Storage, Network. I am not really looking for an alerting system for up/down nodes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like PRTG

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

I like PRTG

Second this.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Solarwinds SAM

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I found an unfortunate bug with Office 365 today that appears to be reproducible every time.

We currently have ~300 mailboxes using the hosted Exchange 1 and 2 plan licensing.

We're in the process of upgrading these to E3 licenses and so what we did was add the E3 licenses to a subset of users. However, our mistake apparently was not removing the Exchange Plan licenses and therefore they had both licenses attached to their user. The web interface and powershell both let you do this without errors or warnings.

Anyway, a couple days later we cleaned up the licenses by removing the Exchange Plan licensing from this subset of users but still leaving the E3 licensing attached which resulted in their mailboxes being deleted.

We immediately added the Exchange Plan licenses back to the users which reattached to their soft-deleted mailboxes and so all was good, but unfortunately we can't remove that Exchange Plan licenses now without the mailbox deleting. So after a day of troubleshooting, no thanks to Microsoft support, the solution was to remove all licensing from the user, wait about 10 minutes, then only add the E3 license back which seems to be working.

I assume this isn't limited to these license types but to any license that includes a mailbox.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 10, 2019

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

kiwid posted:

I found an unfortunate bug with Office 365 today that appears to be reproducible every time.

We currently have ~300 mailboxes using the hosted Exchange 1 and 2 plan licensing.

We're in the process of upgrading these to E3 licenses and so what we did was add the E3 licenses to a subset of users. However, our mistake apparently was not removing the Exchange Plan licenses and therefore they had both licenses attached to their user. The web interface and powershell both let you do this without errors or warnings.

Anyway, a couple days later we cleaned up the licenses by removing the Exchange Plan licensing from this subset of users but still leaving the E3 licensing attached which resulted in their mailboxes being deleted.

We immediately added the Exchange Plan licenses back to the users which reattached to their soft-deleted mailboxes and so all was good, but unfortunately we can't remove that Exchange Plan licenses now without the mailbox deleting. So after a day of troubleshooting, no thanks to Microsoft support, the solution was to remove all licensing from the user, wait about 10 minutes, then only add the E3 license back which seems to be working.

I assume this isn't limited to these license types but to any license that includes a mailbox.

I just went through migrating my company of about 400 from Office365 E3 to Microsoft365 E3 using the same technique (overlapping licensing) and didn’t have any mailbox issues.

Well...other then discovering that Help Desk has been assigning O365 licenses to shared mailboxes which threw off our licensing requirements.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Whats the goto easy tool that will let me boot from a usb/cd and image a local drive to a smb/cifs share? I haven't done workstation support in ages and I need to take a cold copy of a drive in the event things don't go well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pretty sure that dd on a live Linux boot is still the best way to do that.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Clonezilla can do that. It's an open-source linux live cd/usb with a bunch of cloning tools.

If you're looking for Windows software Macrium Reflect has an option to create a bootable image.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Seconding Clonezilla. Between that and GParted I haven't found a single disk imaging scenario I haven't been able to handle. A bunch of live boot images have both of them.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Sacred Cow posted:

I just went through migrating my company of about 400 from Office365 E3 to Microsoft365 E3 using the same technique (overlapping licensing) and didn’t have any mailbox issues.

Well...other then discovering that Help Desk has been assigning O365 licenses to shared mailboxes which threw off our licensing requirements.

Weird. I'm able to reproduce this issue every time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Microsoft project managers are you okay

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wouldn’t be if I had to use sharepoint as my pm tool.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

kiwid posted:

Weird. I'm able to reproduce this issue every time.

I wonder if (and this is just me guessing here) it has to do with your company moving from non-E3 licensing to E3. It might have to migrate the mailboxes to a new environment since its offering additional services compared to a regular hosted Exchange. Again, just me guessing going by my past experience with them.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Sacred Cow posted:

I wonder if (and this is just me guessing here) it has to do with your company moving from non-E3 licensing to E3. It might have to migrate the mailboxes to a new environment since its offering additional services compared to a regular hosted Exchange. Again, just me guessing going by my past experience with them.

Yeah that sounds possible.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
What's the best way to deal with messed up user profiles/home directory folders?

Got a couple thousand user profiles\home drives and the permissions are totally messed randomly on a whole lot of them. When I need to access the profile as a domain admin, I'd have to take ownership, and sometimes it doesn't trickle down and I'd have to go down a couple levels into the folders\files and keep taking ownership.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

lol internet. posted:

What's the best way to deal with messed up user profiles/home directory folders?

Got a couple thousand user profiles\home drives and the permissions are totally messed randomly on a whole lot of them. When I need to access the profile as a domain admin, I'd have to take ownership, and sometimes it doesn't trickle down and I'd have to go down a couple levels into the folders\files and keep taking ownership.

Work in an elevated powershell, or disable UAC. The Administrator group is always stripped from your explorer session otherwise.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

What's a good way to assign GPO policies to users when item level filtering isn't an option? We decided to shut off Word/Excel/PowerPoint macros via GPO after a malicious .docm made it through our filters, but there are a few users who need to use Excel Macros from an outside organization to do their job, so we want to make Excel macros enabled for a few specific users.

My understanding is that you used to be able to use Security Filtering, but at some point MS decided that should apply to computer objects but not user objects. Ideally, I'd like to apply an explicit Excel macro-allowed GPO further down the AD tree (so it takes precedence), that applies only to users in a specific security group, but I'm unsure if that is still doable. What's the best way to have certain GPOs only apply to certain users without separating them by OU?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The computer account needs to have read rights now, but you can still do security filtering by setting read/apply delegation to a group of users and just plain read to authenticated users. Assuming this is a user-side policy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Quest software is pissing me off ever since Dell sold them to Private equity.

Any of you folks using a good AD Audit/Recovery tool in a larger environment? I've got like 65 locations with DC's and 35K enabled user objects.

StealthBits seems promising. NetWrix seems OK but I prefer something else, their stack seems limiting. Budget not really an issue.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 25, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DatAdvantage has an AD module that might fit your needs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Budget not really an issue*

*except Varonis

I'm not sure what that products pricing is like, but we're well funded and even we balked at the price tag of their data protection/classification

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The computer account needs to have read rights now, but you can still do security filtering by setting read/apply delegation to a group of users and just plain read to authenticated users. Assuming this is a user-side policy.

Awesome, thanks!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nitr0 posted:

Solarwinds SAM

Solarwinds exists only as a service where you give them the contact info of someone you don't like and they make your enemy's life miserable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skipdogg posted:

Quest software is pissing me off ever since Dell sold them to Private equity.

Really ? Uh oh, we just deployed about 1300 KACE clients.

Using PowerShell scripts I wrote :-)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

klosterdev posted:

Awesome, thanks!

This is exactly how I do my macro disable policy. It applies to everyone, but I have an AD group set up with deny apply for the exceptions.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Not sure how much of this is hyperbole but beware, East US2 Azure VM users. We haven’t hit any limits yet but we’ve only just started moving our apps to Azure. It’s also not clear if it’s purely full OS VMs or other services like App Service Plans or Kubernetes clusters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Loads of cool stuff coming out of Ignite, MS are going big on identity which is nice because Azure AD is a decent product.

This has made my life a lot easier: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/manage-apps/configure-admin-consent-workflow

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was in the identity preday yesterday, and yeah there is a lot good stuff coming.

Felt bad about adfs getting dumped on so much, but otherwise it is all good stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I read the thing about AD Connect cloud provisioning and assumed that meant not having to use Exchange servers to edit email aliases any more, but it doesn't seem to be quite there yet

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Identity is a big pain point for me. Looking forward to the improvements as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

I read the thing about AD Connect cloud provisioning and assumed that meant not having to use Exchange servers to edit email aliases any more, but it doesn't seem to be quite there yet

I don't know why this is such a challenging thing for them to fix.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I don't get it either. I assume for companies that are actually in a hybrid Exchange setup it's complicated, but for people who just have a synced AD surely just get on and write that stuff back.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SSO was pushed quite a bit yesterday and this bullshit makes me very angry.

Adobe, the vendor that makes me the most angry about this issue isn't even on the list. If I get drunk enough tonight I might make a pr.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve had a number of presenters this week tell me that azure mfa is now free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

I’ve had a number of presenters this week tell me that azure mfa is now free.

If that is true that is huge. They are basically conceding a metric poo poo ton in licensing fees to present a more secure product.