Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

V for Vegas posted:

Thanks for posting that. I really like Strategic Command 3 so I've been looking at WaRpLaN, but other than the recent Twitch stream there is very little about it. But that 44% Matrix anniversary voucher is burning a hole in my pocket...

The things about it that most appeal to me are that they're a lot less strict about stacking for naval/air units which gets rid of a lot of the oddness of SC3 with things like one-hex islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

18,000', I assume that's deep enough it's not going to be looted.

People actually loot stuff like that? Isn't it considered a war grave? Man, that's so disrespectful on a level I can't even fathom that I hadn't considered the possibility.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Most shallow wrecks get salvaged, legally or otherwise.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dramicus posted:

People actually loot stuff like that? Isn't it considered a war grave? Man, that's so disrespectful on a level I can't even fathom that I hadn't considered the possibility.

They’re big piles of scrap metal and that’s worth money.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

They’re big piles of scrap metal and that’s worth money.

Big piles of low-background steel so they're worth even more money.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Big piles of low-background steel so they're worth even more money.

I have heard of some U-boat wrecks being authorized for salvage because of them being sunk prior to nuclear testing. I guess it just seems different with a carrier, because there were a couple thousand onboard.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dramicus posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/worlds-biggest-grave-robbery-asias-disappearing-ww2-shipwrecks

Most of the shallow water wrecks in Indonesia have been plundered. Even PoW & Repulse.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 21, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I dunno, maybe just think of it as cleaning up after ourselves?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I imagine for people in that part of the world the war was seen quiet differently. A bunch of foreign super powers fighting it out in their backyard and thus the cultural significance of these wrecks isn't quite the same.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nah, I’m sure there would be dozens of American and European salvage companies ripping up wrecks across the globe if it wasn’t illegal for them to do so. Graves, anyone’s graves, mean nothing next to :10bux:.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I bought Field of Glory II Empires and it’s fun enough, but boy do I have some complaints:

1. No I do not want to watch the tutorial videos, but I did and I still have no clue what’s going on half the time;

2. This game is the most map painty game I think I have ever played, started as Rome and I just have ate everything around me in around 40 turns. None of the other powers seem to give a poo poo about trying to stop me;

3. There is something seriously wrong with the battle calculations in game. I walk onto a mountain and my 200 combat power army will get routinely beaten by a tiny 25 power defender. So instead of using the auto-fight function I find myself actually having to fight the hugely 1 sided wastes of time in Fields of Glory II.

Dramicus posted:

People have been ninja salvaging whole wrecks from the bottom of the Pacific Ocean for years, it’s usually some Indonesians, but even a Danish company got in on some of the Jutland wrecks recently.

It’s all about the price of low-background steel; which Is way cheaper to steal from pre-atomic bomb explosion war wrecks than it is to make, and highly profitable when it’s stolen and sold.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 21, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wasn't the fleet the Germans scuttled in Scapa Flow after WWI the best supply of low background steel for a long time?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah and those were (arguably) fair game for salvage (and many were salvaged even before WW2) because they were not wargraves (IIRC only a single German sailor was killed during the skirmishes that broke out when Royal Marines attempted to prevent the scuttling of some of the ships).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah and those were (arguably) fair game for salvage (and many were salvaged even before WW2) because they were not wargraves (IIRC only a single German sailor was killed during the skirmishes that broke out when Royal Marines attempted to prevent the scuttling of some of the ships).

It's funny, because you are correct. They weren't war graves, and most of the wrecks were salvaged during the 20s and 30s. They were a huge boon to the people of Scotland during the depression as far as work goes; however, the four wrecks that remain, are now official 'war monuments,' meaning they cannot be salvaged. In fact, they recently went up for sale on ebay if anyone is interested in buying four ships of the German High Seas Fleet that you can never do anything with, except maybe dive.

Which in and of itself is kind of weird, because warships and the wrecks of those warships belong forever to their flag state--this is why Spain always attempts to get part of gold found on Spanish ships in the Caribbean. In this case, however, the ships were scuttled in Scottish territorial waters (and I think they were surrendered in treaty anyway), meaning that their ownership defaulted to the British Admiralty.

EDIT

Which makes it even weirder a Danish salvage company got away with pulling stuff off of British Jutland wrecks, which are both official war graves and still the property of the United Kingdom.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 21, 2019

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Stairmaster posted:

twillight struggle

Twilight Struggle feels just so very boardgamey

I would be here for a very indepth political situation that was grognard level complex, but that probably won't ever exist.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I would be here for a very indepth political situation that was grognard level complex, but that probably won't ever exist.

oh man, a million times this.

this incorporated into a vietnam military simulation is my Questing Beast.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UifoQX-fnoY

Warplan part 2 -the phony war begins.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ZombieLenin posted:

Which makes it even weirder a Danish salvage company got away with pulling stuff off of British Jutland wrecks, which are both official war graves and still the property of the United Kingdom.

Only if you ignore the fact that every Danish government in the last 30 years have been xenophobic dicks that think they own the world.. Or, wait, when did it happen?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So a while ago, (a year maybe?), during pre RTW2 discussion, I remember someone posting about a similar game that was announced on steam. This is about all I can remember of it, there were a few screenshots showing RTWesc engagements with 2d graphics. Can anyone remember what it was called?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ZombieLenin posted:

1. No I do not want to watch the tutorial videos, but I did and I still have no clue what’s going on half the time;

Fair enough, i didn't find it particularly difficult to understand, but I can see how it's not trivial.

ZombieLenin posted:

2. This game is the most map painty game I think I have ever played, started as Rome and I just have ate everything around me in around 40 turns. None of the other powers seem to give a poo poo about trying to stop me;

This is the age of map painting and huge blobs. The big thing limiting expansion is the CDR, but if you expand into good areas, it's not that big a deal.

ZombieLenin posted:

3. There is something seriously wrong with the battle calculations in game. I walk onto a mountain and my 200 combat power army will get routinely beaten by a tiny 25 power defender. So instead of using the auto-fight function I find myself actually having to fight the hugely 1 sided wastes of time in Fields of Glory II.

The battles in FOGE have frontage, which limits how many units can be engaged. Mountains also debuff the Roman heavy infantry(there's a trait on the unit for that). You may also not be using enough skirmishers/cavalry. Terrain is really, really important in FOGE- skirmishers, are too. To cope with that, you can try to get a provincial unit for that or try to get a superior leader, but 'combat power' isn't the be all and end all.

In FOGII the effect of terrain on the overall battle is a lot lower, just because it will always generate an 'interesting' map to fight on, so heavy infantry will always have a place to be.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Command: Modern Operations – The new simulation & editor features: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4990

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Panzeh posted:

Fair enough, i didn't find it particularly difficult to understand, but I can see how it's not trivial.

This is the age of map painting and huge blobs. The big thing limiting expansion is the CDR, but if you expand into good areas, it's not that big a deal.

The battles in FOGE have frontage, which limits how many units can be engaged. Mountains also debuff the Roman heavy infantry(there's a trait on the unit for that). You may also not be using enough skirmishers/cavalry. Terrain is really, really important in FOGE- skirmishers, are too. To cope with that, you can try to get a provincial unit for that or try to get a superior leader, but 'combat power' isn't the be all and end all.

In FOGII the effect of terrain on the overall battle is a lot lower, just because it will always generate an 'interesting' map to fight on, so heavy infantry will always have a place to be.

I read through the manual, so I am a bit better off though I still really don’t understand how decadence works.

I also wish it was easier to fight wars and not take territory. I fought a war against an usurper on the behest of an ally and ended up owning half of that allies territory, I have also ended with a bunch of provinces in Germany on the other side of the Alps I didn’t really want.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ZombieLenin posted:

I read through the manual, so I am a bit better off though I still really don’t understand how decadence works.

I also wish it was easier to fight wars and not take territory. I fought a war against an usurper on the behest of an ally and ended up owning half of that allies territory, I have also ended with a bunch of provinces in Germany on the other side of the Alps I didn’t really want.

If you still have the army on a territory, you're allowed to abandon it simply by using the 'abandon' button which is one of the army commands. There's also a command that lets you attack a neighboring territory without staying there. The problem is, once your army moves, you no longer have the option to abandon the territory.

The biggest contributor to decadence is just having a bunch of territory, though some buildings give a small amount out, and as your government ages your decadence will increase. Decadence is always considered as a ratio with culture production, hence the game's use of CDR.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I give up, what's the trick to getting past the convoy mission in Radio Commander? Once I'm out of Foxtrot battery's range, I just get murdered.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Twilight Struggle feels just so very boardgamey

Y'all sleeping on Terminal Conflict?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/745970/Terminal_Conflict/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tell us more. ! It's on my list, but it's still Early Access... with DLC. How's it play ?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Maybe you've asked yourself, "How's Baloogan?"

Doing fine it appears.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
A new naval wargame called Task Force Admiral was recently announced - it looks incredible so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbqBpcG3EA

Set in the Pacific Theatre in 1942. It still looks very early stage, but they plan to have "a fully playable vertical slice by 2020".

More info in the giant dev log here: https://drydockdreams.games/2019/10/26/making-waves/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my heart skipped a beat at the seamless strategic map to 3D tactical transition

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Recieved the 2nd turn of my WITP:AE game with Baudin, don't wanna give anything away but I did manage to do this.

code:
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 07, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Tawi Tawi at 71,91, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
      CA Chokai, Shell hits 4
      DD Sagiri, Shell hits 7,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      APD Fuji, Shell hits 2
      TB Hiyodori
      PB Heiei Maru #7, Shell hits 6,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Syoka Maru, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
      xAK Rokko Maru, Shell hits 10,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Igasa Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage
      xAKL Ryoyu Maru #21, Shell hits 16,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAKL Sasago Maru, Shell hits 11,  heavy fires,  heavy damage

Allied Ships
      CL Marblehead, Shell hits 13,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      DD Barker, Shell hits 2,  on fire
      DD Bulmer, Shell hits 1
      DD Paul Jones
      DD Parrott
      DD Stewart, Shell hits 1

Japanese ground losses:
      1596 casualties reported
         Squads: 27 destroyed, 59 disabled
         Non Combat: 39 destroyed, 52 disabled
         Engineers: 5 destroyed, 3 disabled
      Guns lost 16 (6 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Geoff posted:

A new naval wargame called Task Force Admiral was recently announced - it looks incredible so far:

Set in the Pacific Theatre in 1942. It still looks very early stage, but they plan to have "a fully playable vertical slice by 2020".

More info in the giant dev log here: https://drydockdreams.games/2019/10/26/making-waves/

This looks legit amazing. Right now there is no plans for a campaign mode but they basically state they would want to do it as part of a second game in the engine.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

The Geoff posted:

I will believe the “Fighting Steel level simulation of surface combat” when I see it; however, since they are making the claim, I will absolutely be paying attention.

Btw Fighting Steel is so loving different than World of Warships, that they almost lost me when they mentioned the latter as an inspiration.

Edit

Why does a seamless tactical/strategic map matter at all if there is no campaign?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

World of Warships is an aesthetic inspiration, and they’re building their engine to support the full campaign scale, while using an iterated dev model over a number of games instead of feature creeping the one title.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

I will believe the “Fighting Steel level simulation of surface combat” when I see it; however, since they are making the claim, I will absolutely be paying attention.

Btw Fighting Steel is so loving different than World of Warships, that they almost lost me when they mentioned the latter as an inspiration.

Edit

Why does a seamless tactical/strategic map matter at all if there is no campaign?

Well there's large multi day, maybe even multi month scenarios planned as I understand it. Just no grand campaign.

This game with grand campaign and I will die happy.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm almost fine with no grand campaign. I don't think there's a way to get the AI to behave properly when the map is literally half the world, plus you end up spending most of your time scooting around divisions in Burma or setting up resupply convoys rather than living out your fantasy of being Frank Fletcher.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

sum posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm almost fine with no grand campaign. I don't think there's a way to get the AI to behave properly when the map is literally half the world, plus you end up spending most of your time scooting around divisions in Burma or setting up resupply convoys rather than living out your fantasy of being Frank Fletcher.

Umm... what’s the problem with that? I have been asking for WiTP2 for years, and then when CMNAO came out, CMNAO: WiTPE.

If either thing happened I know I would be spending the next decade of my life.

PPS. Grog developers: give me a Fighting Steel remakes, with a WiTP style naval campaign covering the Earth and I could probably die happy. Thanks.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
You have been warned:

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/command-modern-operations-starts-the-engines-out-on-november-14th

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you want some quality promotion give Yooper a Steam key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
That was fast.