Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

V for Vegas posted:

After watching that CMO stream I went back and tried to play the North Pacific Shootout scenario in CMANO. The CMANO one is waaay different (you start off at war and your Tomcats already on predetermined patrols) and just all over seemed much harder to parse than the CMO one.

All standalone scenarios present in original CMANO have been remastered with various new features that were added to CMANO between 2013-2019. In addition some brand new scenarios have been added to the collection.

Overall there are now 57 standalone scenarios, plus 39 tutorials. (Leaving aside the DLC packs and the hundreds of community scenarios)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

mllaneza posted:

A large fleet battle is going to be tough without a map the old 3D Russo-Japanese and Jutland games suffered badly from control issues. By 1910 most major navies were making provisions for a flag plot so the admiral in charge can get a big picture view.

I just played a game this morning, another run at the defended convoy battle. I managed to squeeze a pair of twin turrets on each side by going down to 11" guns. That gave me 2 BC with 11" on belt and turret, which proved to be enough to just smash everything. I should have been more cautious about torpedoes, but a win is a win.

If you like boat games, put down the pre-order money now for the discount, you're going to want this.

I really really want this but Xsolla doesn't work with European banking/cards, and they haven't added a second way to pay yet, although they did say they would nearly a month ago. It sucks.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Pharnakes posted:

I really really want this but Xsolla doesn't work with European banking/cards, and they haven't added a second way to pay yet, although they did say they would nearly a month ago. It sucks.

I bought it with the credit card of my Dutch bank, no problem, payment used a phone text message security code procedure that took a few seconds.

If it doesn't work for your bank, then I guess that your bank didn't implement these procedures yet, that I only encountered pretty recently.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dimitris posted:

All standalone scenarios present in original CMANO have been remastered with various new features that were added to CMANO between 2013-2019. In addition some brand new scenarios have been added to the collection.

Overall there are now 57 standalone scenarios, plus 39 tutorials. (Leaving aside the DLC packs and the hundreds of community scenarios)

What’s happening with the DLCs? Any plans to convert them over time?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

What’s happening with the DLCs? Any plans to convert them over time?

They can still be used with CMO, if that's what you mean.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Magni posted:

Going back to OOB WW2, Sandstorm is really nice in how it works the Italians into the campaign. Unlike classic Panzer General campaigns, you actually have seperate german and italian army cores following you through the campaign, with seperate income and command point (basically pop limit for maps) pools. So you can't just load up on german units while ignoring the Italians, you actually have to figure out how to create two forces that complement each other with their different units and what jobs each of them can do better.

The outcome is actually kinda historical...

So you are saying the game models being nearly beaten by the powerful Ethiopian and Albanian armies, and being actually beaten by the Greeks... and having half of your units suck to the point they are an actual impediment to their German counterparts?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Dimitris posted:

I have a related question. If I have a bunch of CMANO crap already on my Steam account, will the new thing just detect all that, or do I have to install some OG CMANO stuff alongside it, or what?

Also, the new game will work properly with high DPI displays, right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm still curious about the pricing and how the updating-from-CMANO system will work out, cost-wise.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

So you are saying the game models being nearly beaten by the powerful Ethiopian and Albanian armies, and being actually beaten by the Greeks... and having half of your units suck to the point they are an actual impediment to their German counterparts?

Well, it is somewhat hard for the game to simulate laughably bad higher leadership unfortunately (what with that kinda being the player), other than potentially saddling you with bad initial situations in various scenarios. Outdated equipment outside specific niches is mostly just crappier unit stats, but those can be worked around. Making the Italians work is pretty much an exercise of finding out what of all this junk does actually work well enough in its respective roles, and then concentrating on that. Kinda similar to playing the Finns in Winter War, where until the late campaign your tank roster is limited to a Mad Max-esque mix of stolen old soviet tanks, your AT is mostly dinky little 37mm guns and your "tactical bomber" is a goddamn Fokker biplane.

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 11, 2019

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I have a related question. If I have a bunch of CMANO crap already on my Steam account, will the new thing just detect all that, or do I have to install some OG CMANO stuff alongside it, or what?

CMO will recognize your existing DLC purchases so you don't have to set those up. Any material you have created like scenarios, saves, .inst file etc. etc. you will have to copy them manually. (CMO installs on a completely separate folder so it leaves any existing CMANO installation intact)

quote:

Also, the new game will work properly with high DPI displays, right?

CMANO has worked well with 4K displays for years now. If you haven't played recently, give it a go now.

If the fix has not been applied to your installation automatically, you can replicate the steps manually: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4190908

CMO has been tested on multiple systems with high-DPI displays and has worked without issues on all of them.

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 11, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dimitris posted:

Yeah, I have no idea how the scenarios are structured, or whether there's a lot of conversion required.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not-Sure-If-Grognard but this just popped up on Steam, coming out soon. Seems pretty neato

https://twitter.com/wargamercom/status/1193938209190883329?s=21

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

loving lmao. The Armoured Brigade forums kept blocking me from making a post because "You need to wait until you've made ten posts before you're allowed to post links or phone numbers".

It loving thought "1950-1995" was a phone number and stopped me posting it what goddamn year is this?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

loving lmao. The Armoured Brigade forums kept blocking me from making a post because "You need to wait until you've made ten posts before you're allowed to post links or phone numbers".

It loving thought "1950-1995" was a phone number and stopped me posting it what goddamn year is this?

15 years ago maybe? Yah, the forum software is laughably bad.

31,000 guests, probably 30997 are trying to post links to penis pills. Someone said they were testing a new set of forums, but I have a feeling they'd have to deprecate the historical content and start from scratch. Or Xenforo 2.0. It worked for SA right?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
So Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts has a debug menu.

Why build a battleship when you can build 124 torpedo boats for the same cost?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sorry, but Rule the Waves is a different game.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

All right, it's time for that long promised "How to mod Armored Brigade" post. Prepare for a wall of text.

To start with, some general tips to keep in mind: If you ever want to merge your changes into the base DB when it updates, place your entries at the very end of the databse (i.e. make your first unit in ID# 5000). This goes for everything: weapons, ammunition, factions, new entries in existing factions, etc... There's no way to merge DBs other than copy and pasting across in Notepad++ but the devs stated on the official forums they'll probably add any new entries sequentially so if you put things at the end it's not likely to get overwritten in a future update. If you're doing a total conversion and don't care about merging, ignore all that.

So the best way to understand how to make a new unit is to look at an existing one. Hell, the best way to create a new unit is to use the copy/paste tool on an existing unit that seems close enough and just modify it from there (note: a unit based on a copied and pasted DLC unit will need that DLC, so it's best to just manually copy it's parameters if that's what you want to start from). Anyway, let's walk through a T-64A:

Starting on the left column moving down: The spriteIcon fields indicate what icon appears above an identified unit. Survivability is how survivable the unit is to penetrating hits. The higher this is, the more likely a unit will keep on trucking if something gets through its armour. Visibility is how well the crew can see out (not including sensors or optics). Open top vehicles have the highest visibility. Comment is the most important field in the editor because it's one of the fields searchable using the search bar at the top left. Put whatever notes here will help you differentiate things in the future. It's especially important for ammunition for reasons that'll become apparent real quick once we get to that section.

On to the second column. maxSpeed is the unit's speed in metres per second. Acceleration is in metres per second squared *I think*. Again not everything is documented well so there's some things here that are kind of guesswork. turnRate and turretTraverseRate are how quickly the hull and turret can rotate in degrees per second. offroadMobility is a modifier to speed in rough terrain (in this case we can go 70% of our max speed). It's higher for tracked vehicles, lower for trucks, etc... Don't change spriteScale. It's the unit's sprite's scale in pixels per metre. Your sprite needs to match this to scale with the rest of the world. Changing it to match an over or undersized sprite breaks things since it also scales all other sprites associated with that unit (unknown vehicle sprites, commanders, etc...). You might end up with the same situation I had where the unknown vehicle sprite for my first unit was the size of a navy destroyer because I thought I could use an undersized sprite and scale it up in the database.

Third column: menMax and menToMove are for infantry and crew-served weapons. The first is the number of men the unit starts with. You'll need sprites for every number of men a squad can have (i.e. for a three man squad you'll need still/moving/transition sprites for the unit with 3,2,and 1 man). The latter is the number of men that need to be alive for the unit to move (think for HMGs or AT guns). Lower than that, and it'll still fire, but it can't relocate. smokeScreens is the number of times a unit can pop smoke. radarMaxRange and radarMinAltitude are for radar guided SPAA and SAMs (in metres). I have no idea what infantryVulnerability does since it seems to be zero for infantry and non-infantry alike. value lets you override the game's auto-calculated cost for a unit and specify your own. This is key for balance because the game's calculations can be a bit screwy sometimes.

On to the checkboxes. This is basically how you define what your unit is. vehicle is checked if it's not infantry or a crew-served weapon. turret is if it has a turret (vehicles can only have one turret FYI). enableTurretScanning lets the unit swivel it's turret left and right while it's moving and searching for units but I'm not sure if it has any actual affect on a unit's spotting ability or if it's just cosmetic. twoPlaneStabilization lets the unit fire on the move. engineer doesn't seem to do anything right now, as no units currently come with it checked. Units marked isTransport can carry units marked isPassenger. tracked and wheeled indicate if the vehicle has tracks or wheels. Half-tracks, shockingly, have both checked. fortification is for pillboxes. gun is for AT-guns/recoilless rifles/SP guns and mortar is for mortars. smokeGenerator is whether your engine can dump a smokescreen. NBCProtection also doesn't currently do anything, although there is a sprite buried in the files marked "Chemical" so maybe that'll be a thing in the future? canCookOff is whether on a particularly catastrophic hit, the unit's ammo can blow and damage things close to it.

Oof...that's a lot. Next we have to define size and armour:

Size is in meters and affects how visible the unit will be at a distance. I think based on what the devs have said on the forums, hull and turret height also influence when a unit is in defilade. I'm not sure if it influences how likely a hit is to be to the turret or hull.

Armour can be defined for the front, side, and rear of the hull and turret. KE is the equivalent RHA value for AP/APDS/APFSDS projectiles. CE is for chemical (i.e. HEAT) projectiles. It'll be higher than KE if the unit has composite armor or ERA. Tandem is the equivalent RHA if the armor is hit by a tandem charge. If the unit has ERA, this will be lower than CE but probably a bit higher than KE. ERA is always considered to be there even after repeated hits. The devs thinking is that it was unlikely two shots would go to the exact same ERA brick at range, and the critical hit chance is there to account for the small probability it does. Hull Shape can be Simple or Complex, the latter making things a little bouncier to AP. If you've played War Thunder, think the bullshit Stalinium front hull of the IS-3.

Time for weapons and ammunition. A unit can have a maximum of six weapons and each can have five different ammunition types. amount is the number of that particular weapon in a unit. This really only comes into play for infantry squads. ReadyAmmo is the amount of ammo in the ready rack or box. Once it's empty it has to be refreshed from stored ammo which takes time. When taking casualties is only really critical for infantry squads and lets you decide if certain heavy weapons or their ammo can be lost when soldiers die. Location is whether the weapon is in the hull, turret, or controlled by the commander independantly (think a pintle mounted HMG). Fire buttoned-up lets you flag whether or not the weapon can be used when the unit is supressed. Limited elevation weapons cannot fire at helicopters or planes.

In Ammunition, the only real stat of note is Amount per weapon. This is pretty self expanatory, but for infantry squads be careful and make sure you only give the amount of ammo an individual soldier would have, not how much the squad has.

We'll skip Non-vehicle sprites for now (since this is a tank) but that's where you'd define the billion and a half moving/still sprites you need for an infantry unit.

A unit can have different sprites for summer (i.e. temperate), winter, or desert. All these sprites must be defined in the resources_custom.xml file in the database. If the unit has a mine-plow (as this one does) it expects a mine plow sprite.

turretSpriteX/Y are the offset (in pixels I think) that the turret is from the center of the hull sprite. This can be a real pain in the rear end to tweak since the only way to see it is to find the unit in the battle purchase screen. commSpriteX/Y is the same thing for the commander. commIgnoreTurret is whether or not the commander's rotation ignores the turret's rotation *I think*.

So that's how you define a unit. Next let's look at weapons and ammo. For an example, this is the T-64A's gun:

This is where things can get tricky. Defining a weapon is mostly just defining a fire control system. aimDelay is how long the target must be tracked before the first shot can be fired. The lower this value is, the fancier a rangefinder/FCS the unit has. fireDelay is the minimum delay in seconds between attacks (max ROF). I believe stressed/supressed units can take longer than this to fire. tracerDelay is the time between tracers if the weapon is firing multiple shots. emplaceDelay is how long the unit must remain stationary before firing. It'll be a few seconds for unstabilized tanks, but 60 seconds or longer for AT-guns or crew-served weapons representing the time it takes to unpack and set them up after moving. readyAmmoDelay is how long it takes to reload the ready rack once it's empty. The T-64A has an autoloader, so once the (very large) ready rack representing the carousel is empty it takes absolutely forever to reload a shell (by comparison for 120mm NATO tanks this is 10-12 seconds). fullReload is whether or not the weapon waits until the entire ready ammo bin is empty before refreshing the whole thing at once. Think slapping a brand new 100 round box into an AA mounted .50 cal.

maxHullAngle and maxTurretAngle is how far off the middle of the sprite the weapon can traverse in plus/minus degrees. I think the reason that for most weapons it's 5 so is so that the game doesn't freak out and not fire if everything it perfectly aligned to an exact degree. 0 is free traverse. nightVision is how far in metres the weapon can see in the dark. If it's greater than the thermalImagingminRange value defined in Eras, it's also a thermal imaging device. Xenon serachlights are usually 800m, passive NV 1000m, etc...

tracers is how many tracers are fired in each burst (separated by tracerDelay). ammoPerBurst is how many total shots are fired per burst. indirectFireOnly is for mortars and SP guns and indicates the unit cannot fire directly at another unit, only at a point.

Okay, we're on the home stretch now. For an example of an ammunition entry, let's look at the T-64A's APFSDS round:

Notice how everything is named HEAT, APFSDS, HE, etc... This is why the comment field is so critical. That's where you'll find what weapon the ammo is actually for. Technically, there's nothing stopping you from accidentally assigning 120mm APFSDS rounds to a 20mm gatling cannon and given the fact that things are assigned by manually entering ID numbers it's more likely to happen than you'd think.

Everything in the left column is pretty much self-explanatory until softDamageType. This is how much damage the shell does to infantry. APEffect is the type of AP damage the shell does. It can be Kinetic, Chemical, or Tandem and will hit the corresponding armour value of the target. In the second column minRange and maxRange indicates the engagement ranges of the particular ammo. accuracyBase is the percent chance to hit at point blank range. accuracyRange is where thigs get a bit confusing. It's the range at which accuracy is half of accuracyBase (so the higher the better). If you want accuracy to be the same at any distance (bombs, missiles, etc...) set this to 0. This can be higher than maxRange representing pinpoint accuracy at stupid high ranges. APDamage is penetration at point blank range (i.e. the value that gets compared against the target's corresponding armour value). Set this to -1 for bombs and indirect fire munitions for...reasons. APDamageRange is the range at which armor penetration reaches zero (again the higher the better). Tweak this value to make some sort of penetration curve. maxTargetSpeed is the max speed (in metres per second) a target can be going and still be engaged. Keep this at 50 for anything that isn't engaging air targets. tracerAvgSpeed is muzzle velocity in metres per second. muzzleSignature is how likely it is that firing this ammo type will help an enemy spot you (higher is worse).

metalImpact I'm not sure exactly what it does but it seems to be checked for cannon shells and missiles and not checked for autocannons and machine guns. guided is for any sort of guided missile (MCLOS, SACLOS, infrared, whatever). fireAndForget means the unit doesn't have to continuously aim at the target to get a hit. bomb is for anything dropped from above whether an iron bomb or a mortar shell. flame is for napalm and flamethrowers. The final three parameters are for indicating what this type of ammo can target (infantry, vehicles, or air).

And...that's what you need to know to create/edit a unit in Armoured Brigade. This doesn't cover aircraft and helicopters, flights/formations, or factions but I can do a part 2 with that if folks are interested.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

And...that's what you need to know to create/edit a unit in Armoured Brigade. This doesn't cover aircraft and helicopters, flights/formations, or factions but I can do a part 2 with that if folks are interested.

Thanks dude! That's good information. I'd like to see a 2nd post too.

Maybe drop this on the Matrix Forums too?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yooper posted:

Maybe drop this on the Matrix Forums too?

I plan to once I've made enough posts there that I'm allowed to post links lol.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I plan to once I've made enough posts there that I'm allowed to post links lol.

You could post in the #1trafficked thread on the Matrix Forums..

Or maybe you'd like to discuss Neville Chamberlain?

Or go complain about the new lovely web layout, and Steams changes too.

Or maybe some Gender studies?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Yooper posted:

You could post in the #1trafficked thread on the Matrix Forums..

Or maybe you'd like to discuss Neville Chamberlain?

Or go complain about the new lovely web layout, and Steams changes too.

Or maybe some Gender studies?

is this a syllogism

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Wrong hole!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Magni posted:

Well, it is somewhat hard for the game to simulate laughably bad higher leadership unfortunately (what with that kinda being the player), other than potentially saddling you with bad initial situations in various scenarios. Outdated equipment outside specific niches is mostly just crappier unit stats, but those can be worked around. Making the Italians work is pretty much an exercise of finding out what of all this junk does actually work well enough in its respective roles, and then concentrating on that. Kinda similar to playing the Finns in Winter War, where until the late campaign your tank roster is limited to a Mad Max-esque mix of stolen old soviet tanks, your AT is mostly dinky little 37mm guns and your "tactical bomber" is a goddamn Fokker biplane.

I don’t know. I am looking for a game that can give me the experience of what it must have been like for the German OKW.

Like the first thing I want to feel is annoyed that the Italians aren’t helping, then after I have clearly beaten France, I want to be kind of annoyed that the Italians are deciding to join the war now, but a little hopeful that maybe they will help convince the English to give up.

Then I want to have to draw off men and material, and be forced to delay major operations when the Italians start losing everywhere, including to the Greeks.

Next I want to to be in a position where I am thinking “gently caress, I actually need to bring some Italians along, but they are probably going to hurt me far more than they help me, because I literally cannot trust them to accomplish anything I ask of them.”

Finally, by the end of the game I want to have to be forced to bleed off a large amount of men and equipment I need to keep the Soviets from kicking my teeth in to fight in Italy, such that I literally “rue the day” the Italians joined the war on my side.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/809230/Unity_of_Command_II/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I swear there's some sort of global conspiracy that revolves around discovering games I want to play and making sure they get released exclusively on days where I work late.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Yo, so I've been slowly slogging through Unity of Command's Stalingrad Campaign (Soviet). I have decisive victories on 3/5, brilliant on Race for Rostov and Orel/Briansk. I can't progress though. Can someone explain wtf is going on?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Not-Sure-If-Grognard but this just popped up on Steam, coming out soon. Seems pretty neato

https://twitter.com/wargamercom/status/1193938209190883329?s=21

It's sorta weird to me that we've got multiple wargame-y Afghanistan insurgency games now and not one of them has thought that maybe they would be more fun from the insurgent's perspective rather than the people responding to the insurgents. I guess it's the taboo against playing as the Official Bad Guys.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not sure it would be really that fun to get your poo poo pushed in 99% of the time though.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Well... how 'bout the same idea, but Vietnam? Play as the NVA or Viet Cong / Viet Minh in the '50ies? Achievement in the face of incredible odds would be the central game premise.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
There’s got to be an American revolution game to reskin

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yesss... #1 of this week's collection.

gazza
Oct 20, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

I'm not sure it would be really that fun to get your poo poo pushed in 99% of the time though.

Kind of a misconception about insurgencies. The casualty ratio of the taliban vs the coalition/national army is in favor of the taliban lol

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

sum posted:

It's sorta weird to me that we've got multiple wargame-y Afghanistan insurgency games now and not one of them has thought that maybe they would be more fun from the insurgent's perspective rather than the people responding to the insurgents. I guess it's the taboo against playing as the Official Bad Guys.

Yeah, they are still officially the bad guys. Give it 20 years assuming the war is over by then. Now if you want to make a game in Afghanistan with playable insurgents, the Soviet period is a-ok.

gazza posted:

Kind of a misconception about insurgencies. The casualty ratio of the taliban vs the coalition/national army is in favor of the taliban lol

Okay, maybe the Afghan national army, but I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the Taliban get anywhere near to parity when it comes to killing or wounding NATO/Coalition soldiers.

I think you can just look at air strike videos available publicly and count more Taliban killed than suffered by NATO/Coalition forces since 2001.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 13, 2019

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

dpf posted:

Yo, so I've been slowly slogging through Unity of Command's Stalingrad Campaign (Soviet). I have decisive victories on 3/5, brilliant on Race for Rostov and Orel/Briansk. I can't progress though. Can someone explain wtf is going on?

If you look at the bottom right of the screen while you have a scenario selected (near the reload scenario button) it will tell you what kind of victory you need to unlock the follow up scenarios (if any). One arrow next to the name means it unlocks on any victory, two arrows means you need a decisive, and 3 means you need a brilliant. For that campaign specifically, I think Gallop/Star only unlocks with a brilliant on the scenario that includes Voronezh (I think Don offensives might be the name?)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, they are still officially the bad guys. Give it 20 years assuming the war is over by then. Now if you want to make a game in Afghanistan with playable insurgents, the Soviet period is a-ok.

This is weird, because Insurgency: Sandstorm already exists, and if anything playing the game removed from frontline combat would be even more abstract/less potentially "offensive".

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Davin Valkri posted:

This is weird, because Insurgency: Sandstorm already exists, and if anything playing the game removed from frontline combat would be even more abstract/less potentially "offensive".

I remember when people flipped their poo poo that “terrorists” were playable in counterstrike.

I dunno, the typical demographic for grog PC games, most of the present company excepted, seems like they would have a really hard time playing as the Muslim bad guy in a currently active war the United States et al. are involved in.

Nazis though, they will play nazis all day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Taliboo

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

I remember when people flipped their poo poo that “terrorists” were playable in counterstrike.

I dunno, the typical demographic for grog PC games, most of the present company excepted, seems like they would have a really hard time playing as the Muslim bad guy in a currently active war the United States et al. are involved in.

Don't forget America's Army, where each side literally sees themselves as soldiers and the enemies as terrorists.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I no longer can recommend Steel Division 2 campaign. Jesus christ they ruined it by letting units regenerate 3 AP per turn (the amount needed to initiate an attack OR participate in phase A of combat.)

That and Eugens stupid loving obsession with making the actual fights extremely short. So you have barely any time to field units and minuscule icome.

Mod tools can't come soon enough, I'm mad at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
CMO in 2 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRHSIhQGI0