Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Oh boy I can’t wait to see pages of blah blah conference champs again like we do every loving year. I guess the cross isn’t coming down after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Oh boy I can’t wait to see pages of blah blah conference champs again like we do every loving year. I guess the cross isn’t coming down after all

lol you are the biggest baby

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TFW your team isn't good enough to win their own power 5 division but you think they should be invited to the playoffs.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Alabama is going to need some chaos the next couple of weeks. I think the committee will jump a one loss Utah or 1 loss Oklahoma over them. The way they moved Baylor up 5 spots tells me they are positioning themselves to make Oklahoma look better if they win out.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

MourningView posted:

lol you are the biggest baby

love having the same discussion for nearly a decade with the same 5 people. Ooh maybe we can hit how to expand the playoffs too!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Motion to change Alabama state motto to "Victus in Occidentem, primus in gentis"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fluffdaddy posted:

love having the same discussion for nearly a decade with the same 5 people. Ooh maybe we can hit how to expand the playoffs too!

Maybe if we had some variety in playoff teams we'd have different discussions.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Raku posted:

Because Houston and UCLA are a real challenge right?

By the way, SP+ has Kansas State ranked under Kentucky. Oklahoma lost to a team that according to the metrics is considerably worse than South Carolina or Tennessee

Oh yeah and Georgia shouldn't be ranked above Alabama because they lost to wil muschamp just so I'm being consistent

Houston and UCLA are still way better than that mess. Oklahoma lost a close one, but they beat some decent teams and will need to win a CCG. Same with Georgia, who has beaten Florida, Auburn, and Notre Dame.

If Alabama gets in, Clemson or someone else would just run a train on them like what happened last year. It wouldn't be a travesty if Bama gets in, but this is a national championship, not an SEC West do-over. They had their chance against LSU and looked outclassed, even at home.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fluffdaddy posted:

You're very brave for still putting up with us and trying to show us the light. Personally if I didn't like it I might try to suggest a new thing to talk about, but maybe throwing a giant fit is going to get it done, who knows?

I'm sure this is definitely not at all related to people thinking the team you root for should miss the playoff for literally the first time in it's existence.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 27, 2019

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

It wouldn't be a travesty if Bama gets in, but this is a national championship, not an SEC West do-over.

Evergreen tweet

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Maybe if we had some variety in playoff teams we'd have different discussions.

That’s just the nature of college football though. It’s been the same 10 or so teams in one configuration or another for like 4 decades. Playoffs expansion is not going to change that.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

With parity rising at the highest level of competition the only answer is either to get rid of the playoffs and let the computers decide again, or expand the playoffs to make them more encompassing. There's literally no better way to solve the root cause.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

MourningView posted:

You're very brave for still putting up with us and trying to show us the light. Personally if I didn't like it I might try to suggest a new thing to talk about, but maybe throwing a giant fit is going to get it done, who knows?

I'm sure this is definitely not at all related to people thinking the team you root for should miss the playoff for literally the first time in it's existence.

You must be mistaken me for someone else because I am not that passionate about the rankings ever. I just like watching my football team play football on Saturdays. If they win great, if they lose that sucks but it happens. If they make the playoffs this year it would be nice but it realistically isn’t going to happen, no matter how many weird scenarios people decide to come up with.

They could never make the playoffs again and I wouldn’t be that bummed about it because it’s a bunch of kids playing a sport for free for our amusement. I am mostly cheering for them boys to get paid.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

what about some kind of computer that measured the teams and took the human element out of the equati

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

what about some kind of computer that measured the teams and took the human element out of the equati

People poo poo on the BCS but it did just as good a job as any of the other systems. Better even.

This committee nonsense :rolleyes:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

People poo poo on the BCS but it did just as good a job as any of the other systems. Better even.

This committee nonsense :rolleyes:

The results from the committee have been pretty much just like the BCS I thought?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Honestly, with the advances in machine learning and AI i'd love to see the entire body of data from say the previous 20 seasonal performances (Player and team) of the entire FCS fed into the database, and then using historical data backed by real time performances in the present season to determine rankings.

(I tinker way too much with AWS as a hobby/work, forgive me)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

The results from the committee have been pretty much just like the BCS I thought?

Ish, but the week-in, week-out of WILL THEY WONT THEY is super annoying and then all the EYETEST bullshit.

A committee almost certainly would've rematched Michigan OSU in 06 and I've got a bit of pundit fatigue with their subjective nonsense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fluffdaddy posted:

That’s just the nature of college football though. It’s been the same 10 or so teams in one configuration or another for like 4 decades. Playoffs expansion is not going to change that.

Well yea, but if the same poo poo keeps happening you're gonna get the same conversations. And the same poo poo doesn't HAVE to keep happening.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Just let me pick the playoff teams every year. I’m definitely as smart as Condoleezza Rice.

Edit: institute a wealth tax on teams. Only so many 5* kids allowed per team. Spread the wealth around.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Players should play where they want to play. They should also get paid.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf posted:

Michigan straight up could beat osu. If they run the ball like they did against notre dame, then combine that with the multiple nfl receivers they will score points. Their defense is all about pressure on the qb, and that's what osu is weakest at. Honestly, I could see Justin Fields being sacked like 5 times by Michigan.

Can you stop Mesh/Snag yet? Because Ryan Day is still employed in Columbus.

Also, consider Shea's ability to perform, because Ohio State has 46 sacks on the season to Michigan's 32. Buckeyes have 105 TFL. You have 67. If I remove Chase Young from those numbers, it almost kind of closes the gap. Kind of hard to have a huge passing attack when your QB spends all the time running for his life off of 4/5 man pressure as opposed to gambling pressure on Cover 0/1 every down like Brown.

Also, I really don't understand why we're pretending 1-loss Oklahoma isn't immediately in the playoff over 1-loss Bama. The committee openly says they take injuries into account as both a positive and negative, so Bama would need Cardale-drops-50-on-Wisconsin types of beatdown on Auburn to beat that stigma since the committee will absolutely discount that, especially if Oklahoma goes and beats Okie Lite and then Baylor again. Regardless of whose schedule is more doo-doo rear end, they absolutely are going to consider Tua's absence as a negative against Bama, and that's just how it goes.

Comedy option: Saban gets Gus-ed again and loses forcing them into a NY6--half the starters sit the bowl game while getting rolled by Utah in a NY6 again. Georgia gets blown out by LSU and ends up getting rolled by Oregon/Minnesota in a bowl after similar levels of anger over getting left out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

Players should play where they want to play. They should also get paid.

Sir I think you will find this is an AMATEUR league for STUDENT athletes and they should in fact not be paid

no not really

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This isn't going to happen because the team isn't going to be good next year, but could the NCAA impose sanctions or whatever on Mizzou if they make it a point to poo poo talk the NCAA whenever possible next year?

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Bird in a Blender posted:

Just let me pick the playoff teams every year. I’m definitely as smart as Condoleezza Rice.

Edit: institute a wealth tax on teams. Only so many 5* kids allowed per team. Spread the wealth around.

Lmao I forgot Condoleezza is on the committee.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

It is extremely college sports that a war criminal is prominently involved in every important decision now because she offhandedly mentioned that she liked football in a couple puff pieces from over a decade ago

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

She hasn't been on the committee since 2016.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I thought the committee members serve like four year terms so they had to find a different war criminal to replace Condi

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

korrandark posted:

She hasn't been on the committee since 2016.

instead they put her on the panel in charge of fixing the "corruption" in college basketball, for some reason

Cthulu Carl posted:

I thought the committee members serve like four year terms so they had to find a different war criminal to replace Condi

Gary Barta, yes

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Eddie Gallagher next

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

instead they put her on the panel in charge of fixing the "corruption" in college basketball, for some reason

NCAA loves hypocrisy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

Agreed, can’t win the Natty without winning your conference. It’s also a good way to get people to stop trying to make mega conferences.

Edit: if the playoff moved to 8 teams then we can add non champs.

1 conference champ
2 conference champ
3 conference champ
4 conference champ
5 conference champ
6 reserved for Alabama if necessary
7 Notre Dame
8 Notre Dame

:thunk:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

Going to rule when they trot out Colin Powell to talk about the imminent threat John Calipari poses to amateur athletics at the NCAA with some bad google earth photoshops of John Calipari handing burlap sacks with $ signs to players leaving practice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Notre Dame can get their own special secondary playoff against the the three worst G5 champs and broadcast it on NBC.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think Condi Rice is legitimately a really hardcore football fan, in addition to being a horrible person responsible for death and suffering on an incomprehensible scale.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The wild thing is with the bcs around you would have had to leave out one of Ohio State, lsu or Clemson. It'd probably be Clemson which is nuts considering how dominant they've been for 5 years now

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I'm filled with dread thinking about how UVA will manage to lose this year.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yall gonna be begging for Condi once Eric Trump gets thrown into committee and starts arguing for the NE Patriots, Yale, and Trump University to be considered.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ungratek posted:

I'm filled with dread thinking about how UVA will manage to lose this year.

It's a lot less funny than it was going to be like a month ago when VT looked like they were circling the drain as a program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I don't know, I think Utah is a great team but they're horribly outmatched against any other potential playoff team. Their defense is great but I question whether they have the secondary depth to play a truly competitive game against a playoff team. Their defensive front is top tier though, and that'd likely give anyone fits in the playoffs at least. Their offense is good but not great, and while LSU's defense hasn't been spectacular it's been fine enough given how many points they score.

Which is wild, it's wild to see LSU running a modern offense.

Yeah I agree you're right. Ultimately neither their offense nor their secondary are elite which would be a pretty big problem.