Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Is your mall an upscale Shopping Experience™ mall? Because those are doing well. These malls aren't a place where you get deals or do normal shopping, they're for smaller brands with niche offerings to cater to a middle class that can get basic needs online.

I don't know what the gently caress Shopping Experience™ is, we have a Canadian Tire, and, like, sports equipment and novelty t-shirts. Too many jewelry stores and phone kiosks, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mandatory lesbian posted:

my local mall is doing good but its the mall of america so kinda cheating

MoA might be doing well but they're certainly not doing good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

YggiDee posted:

I don't know what the gently caress Shopping Experience™ is, we have a Canadian Tire, and, like, sports equipment and novelty t-shirts. Too many jewelry stores and phone kiosks, maybe.

where I am, Canadian Tire is never part of a mall, but a strip, or on its own across a street. BB too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm always baffled that clothing retail is dying until I look at overall economic conditions. Buying clothes online is a miserable experience filled with utter bullshit, especially since Amazon opened the gates and stopped vetting knockoffs at all.

I will happily pay a modest premium to be able to try poo poo on before buying, but I get that the working and middle classes are still effectively going into year 12 of the great recession so most of that market.goes to WalMart.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I definitely just buy clothes every couple of years when my t shirts and jeans need replacing. Even then, my wife is typically on the hunt for companies that don't abuse their factory workers so when it comes time to order new clothes I just let her know what I need and then it magically shows up and I see if it fits.

This is the future I always wanted but i understand that it isn't widespread.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Amazon is pretty much the worst place to shop for clothes on or offline, for price or quality.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

This thing has been a dying ghost mall since day one, yet a mile down the road is one of the most successful malls in the NYC area.

What's even more fun about The Source mall is that the one down the road (Roosevelt Field) was owned by the same goddamned property group. Even in Nassau, I don't know how they thought they could sustain two 'competing' malls within like 3 miles of each other.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 3, 2019

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

my local mall is doing good but its the West Edmonton mall so kinda cheating

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Smiling Jack posted:

That place was a ghost mall from the day it opened.
google streetview is a timemachine in some parts of the country

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7463,-73.5938483,3a,75y,188.53h,92.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snuzWuEM4UWyC2VYOhXWxVQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

hey I can see cars in the reflection, lets just take one step forward...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

my personal opinion is that only about a third of malls are dying or dead, a third are kind of shabby but sustainable, and a third are still doing the kind of business they were doing during peak mall. the mall near where i grew up is pretty busy most of the time, and the mall closest to where i live is filled with barely surviving local shops but it has at least a 75% occupancy rate even if the food court is totally empty

I'm trying to guess what malls these are. 75% occupancy isn't N Dekalb, is it?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Proud Christian Mom posted:

one of my clients has purchased a few failing malls and gave up attempting to cater to the dwindling middle class and instead went full bore discount and lo they're actually 100% occupied

Yep, the death of the fabled middle class will do that for ya. So you either aim low (Dollar Tree and Dollar General are hoovering up those sweet working class pennies) or aim high (hello Phipps Plaza and The Mall at Green Hills).

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Yep, the death of the fabled middle class will do that for ya. So you either aim low (Dollar Tree and Dollar General are hoovering up those sweet working class pennies) or aim high (hello Phipps Plaza and The Mall at Green Hills).

i mean, basically anything i ever bought at cvs or walgreens i can get from dollar general for a few bucks less and it's the exact same thing. i remember when my son was very little buying gripe water or whatever and it was like $12 at walgreens but $4 at dollar general

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

YggiDee posted:

You might be in a Shopping Experience™ if:

- There is a Tesla dealership in the mall proper

- You don't recognize any of the restaurants in the food court, but they use the word "bowl" a lot

- Kids actually have real things to do in the mall

- The anchor department stores are still there and don't look like they were bombed right before you got there

- There isn't a used video game store, or at least, not one full of nothing but OG Game Boy games for $1 per cart and staffed by a 60-year old man

- There isn't a massage parlor

- The mall's centerpiece isn't a forlorn food cart in the middle of an empty square

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

What you have a bunch of Tesla Superchargers out in front of the mall? Does having valet service and/or a dedicated Uber/Lyft dropoff/pickup area count as part of the Shopping Experience™?

big trivia FAIL posted:

i mean, basically anything i ever bought at cvs or walgreens i can get from dollar general for a few bucks less and it's the exact same thing. i remember when my son was very little buying gripe water or whatever and it was like $12 at walgreens but $4 at dollar general

Drug store pricing is based on the assumption that you need that particular item right now and have no where else to go. The drug store gets its rear end handed to it in everything except prescription refills whenever there's a dollar store nearby.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm always baffled that clothing retail is dying until I look at overall economic conditions. Buying clothes online is a miserable experience filled with utter bullshit, especially since Amazon opened the gates and stopped vetting knockoffs at all.

I will happily pay a modest premium to be able to try poo poo on before buying, but I get that the working and middle classes are still effectively going into year 12 of the great recession so most of that market.goes to WalMart.

I've shopped almost exclusively at JC Penney. If I want ultra cheap jeans I get Lee's at Wal-Mart.

I don't like clothes shopping on Amazon but I've found some awesome underwear there that I can't find a good equivalent in B&M. I also tend to buy tennis shoes on Amazon.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

I've shopped almost exclusively at JC Penney. If I want ultra cheap jeans I get Lee's at Wal-Mart.

I buy all my jeans at Goodwill et al and never pay more than $5-8, but if you have a weird fit that may not be an option.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

What you have a bunch of Tesla Superchargers out in front of the mall? Does having valet service and/or a dedicated Uber/Lyft dropoff/pickup area count as part of the Shopping Experience™?

No, you go inside the mall to the Tesla showroom, many of which are in malls.

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/stores/United%20States

Seth Galifianakis
Dec 29, 2012
Perhaps in a misguided attempt to replicate the Shopping Experience of a Tesla store, a few years ago my local dying mall started leasing out empty storefronts to a car dealer to fill with a car or two and some marketing posters. Now like 1/3 of the interior storefronts are Kia showrooms and the only remaining anchors are a TJ Maxx and a discount sporting goods store stocked with all the early-90s era mesh shorts and out of date t-shirt jerseys you could ever need.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You might be in a Shopping Experience™ if:

- There is a Tesla dealership in the mall proper

- You don't recognize any of the restaurants in the food court, but they use the word "bowl" a lot

- Kids actually have real things to do in the mall

- The anchor department stores are still there and don't look like they were bombed right before you got there

- There isn't a used video game store, or at least, not one full of nothing but OG Game Boy games for $1 per cart and staffed by a 60-year old man

- There isn't a massage parlor

- The mall's centerpiece isn't a forlorn food cart in the middle of an empty square

Hey, it turns out I have a Shopping Experience instead of a mall here too!

Sadly, the experience is awful, the access is poor and the parking is perennially hosed. But it's very popular, judging by the way it fucks up traffic in an 8-block radius!

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Seth Galifianakis posted:

Perhaps in a misguided attempt to replicate the Shopping Experience of a Tesla store, a few years ago my local dying mall started leasing out empty storefronts to a car dealer to fill with a car or two and some marketing posters. Now like 1/3 of the interior storefronts are Kia showrooms and the only remaining anchors are a TJ Maxx and a discount sporting goods store stocked with all the early-90s era mesh shorts and out of date t-shirt jerseys you could ever need.

To be honest, I'd go to a mall that promised the Auto Show experience. At least every 10 years or so.

The current auto buying experience sucks. I've gone one of the local dealers to buy a new car (internet research, etc), and then gotten so irritated that I decided to keep my existing clunker for another year.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Seth Galifianakis posted:

The Dimond Center in Anchorage did this years ago and it worked out great. Cal Worthington Ford leased out a huge storefront PLUS he filled the parking lot with cars. Win win.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

gaj70 posted:

To be honest, I'd go to a mall that promised the Auto Show experience. At least every 10 years or so.

The current auto buying experience sucks. I've gone one of the local dealers to buy a new car (internet research, etc), and then gotten so irritated that I decided to keep my existing clunker for another year.

I remember a German that moved to the US (well, temporarily at least) that complained about how bad the car-buying experience is in the US.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Buying a car loving sucks rear end but it's a fun exercise in telling salespeople to gently caress off.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

celewign posted:

Brake calipers get replaced in singles all the time. If a caliper fails I'm not replacing both sides of the other side is fine. Not sure why you would waste money like that.

I work on equipment for a living. Vehicles, heavy machinery, stationary plants ect. This is such a wrongheaded example of being cheap that I literally did a double take and had to reread the post. It reminds me of when the GM of our multi-million dollar company had a meeting with the department heads because he thought the company spent too much on toilet paper.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Buying a car loving sucks rear end but it's a fun exercise in telling salespeople to gently caress off.

The guy who sold me my new car used to be a flight instructor. He brought it up a few times while we were out doing test drives, even had a few pictures on his desk.

I was very curious how he went from that to car salesman but I knew better than to say that out loud.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The guy who sold me my new car used to be a flight instructor. He brought it up a few times while we were out doing test drives, even had a few pictures on his desk.

I was very curious how he went from that to car salesman but I knew better than to say that out loud.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Solely. I mean sales is just more instant cash.

Or 2009 recessiom killed his business.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or eyes started going. Or all of the above.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

karthun posted:

MoA survives on redeye flights from Japan, Korea and China.

I'm from the US but can attest to this because we had a similar "only went there because we had to kill a few hours before a flight" experience. I think every single other person in there was in the same situation.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lmao I can't transfer to a different store because I have too many absences and no manager wants to risk me being an issue.

Does it matter that all four of those are from the same 3 week period that I was having falling down issues due to a really bad ear infection, that I couldn't afford to go to the doctor for because the company doesn't pay poo poo? No, of course not. gently caress I hate retail

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Flight instructors qualify for food stamps. They're doing it because it's free hours. Precisely why I stopped flying and changed my major to Aviation Management and Airport Planning.

Edit: Not only that but they likely have over 100k in loans. You don't make big bucks as a pilot until you've got thousands of hours flying with a premier airline, and by that time you could have spent up to a million getting all the certs.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 4, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Beastie posted:

Flight instructors qualify for food stamps. They're doing it because it's free hours. Precisely why I stopped flying and changed my major to Aviation Management and Airport Planning.

Edit: Not only that but they likely have over 100k in loans. You don't make big bucks as a pilot until you've got thousands of hours flying with a premier airline, and by that time you could have spent up to a million getting all the certs.

Meanwhile, as has been the case for probably 20 years now, starting commercial pilots live like paupers, four to a single bedroom apartment as each pilot gets up and takes a shift after the other.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It doesn't help that the Air Force has made flying so painful that officers are passing up massive signing bonuses to take a chance with Timbuktu Air

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It doesn't help that the Air Force has made flying so painful that officers are passing up massive signing bonuses to take a chance with Timbuktu Air

Happens in all military service with all jobs. Snipers passing up renelistment to go work as an instructor for Academi. Truck drivers go run semis for 70k a yr. Military Brain drain is real

An e6 makes like 1500 a checkish. Go from that to 6k a week. Why wouldnt you?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

How's that? Lack of comfort features in the newer planes or something?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gort posted:

Its a long process. Go to GIP and read the "so you want to be a pilot" thread.

Like LONG process.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Gort posted:

morale.

short of it is, the Air Force has basically been at war since Desert Storm while simultaneously downsizing. this leads to more and longer deployments(not fun) and more non-flying related tasks when not deployed that cut into flying hours(really not fun). so you've got a bunch of well paid officers, some of who get to fly really cool things, giving all that up and passing on an additional $35k a year retention bonus because flying a 30 year old 737 domestically involves far less bullshit and also you might get to see your family more often.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

morale.

short of it is, the Air Force has basically been at war since Desert Storm while simultaneously downsizing. this leads to more and longer deployments(not fun) and more non-flying related tasks when not deployed that cut into flying hours(really not fun). so you've got a bunch of well paid officers, some of who get to fly really cool things, giving all that up and passing on an additional $35k a year retention bonus because flying a 30 year old 737 domestically involves far less bullshit and also you might get to see your family more often.

you'd think with a budget of several hundred billion dollars that they could offer even higher pay

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Don't they get a lot of people who want to be pilots? I assume that the pay & working conditions are that way because of that. Being a pilot is like one of the most desired military jobs, I thought.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

silence_kit posted:

Don't they get a lot of people who want to be pilots? I assume that the pay & working conditions are that way because of that. Being a pilot is like one of the most desired military jobs, I thought.

you don't get to fly very often, you're a glorified admin guy like 90% of the time, yet you are constantly deploying.

basically "ok you aren't going to do any cool poo poo and we are gonna work you into the ground lol what's family life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

you don't get to fly very often, you're a glorified admin guy like 90% of the time, yet you are constantly deploying.

basically "ok you aren't going to do any cool poo poo and we are gonna work you into the ground lol what's family life"

Ok, that might be how the job actually is, but is it the case that there are a tonne of people who don't understand that who are lining up to be military pilots?