Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nwin posted:

I know knives are a personal thing but I decided to buy a shun premier 8” during Black Friday and used it the last few days. This thing seems so delicate like if I look at it the wrong way, the tips going to break off. It’s sharp and pretty and feels decent in the hand, but I’m not sure about the durability of it. I’m thinking I might try a wusthof classic since those seem to have a bit more heft.

I’m coming from using a global when I first got into cooking (all because of Anthony bourdain’s drat book!), which was way too slippery in my hands, to using a Misen knife for a while and realizing that thing sucks.

I got a set of Shuns way back when they used to be on Woot all the time, and the tips broke off of all of them. I don't even know how it happened on any of them. They're terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I have a Shun Sora that's nice, super easy to keep sharp, and perfect if I want to do delicate work. But 99% of the time I just grab my Chinese cleaver and do everything with it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

nwin posted:

I know knives are a personal thing but I decided to buy a shun premier 8” during Black Friday and used it the last few days. This thing seems so delicate like if I look at it the wrong way, the tips going to break off. It’s sharp and pretty and feels decent in the hand, but I’m not sure about the durability of it. I’m thinking I might try a wusthof classic since those seem to have a bit more heft.

I’m coming from using a global when I first got into cooking (all because of Anthony bourdain’s drat book!), which was way too slippery in my hands, to using a Misen knife for a while and realizing that thing sucks.
I love my 8" wusthof classic and it ought to last me the rest of my life, but I recently picked up a $30 Mercer from a restaurant supply store and it is the sharpest damned knife I've ever used. Made in Taiwan of German steel and it really feels like a real knife for $30.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mercer-culinary-m20608-genesis-8-forged-chef-knife-with-full-tang-blade/470M20608.html

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's hard to go wrong with anything from a restaurant supply store. its an easy way to cut out all the marketing and faux-premium horseshit that's out there for kitchenwares

it might have a cheap plastic handle but 90% of the time that's what actual working knives have so :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Always have a beater knife. One that will let you do dirty rough things that you can’t do with your delicate knife.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have had my Wusthof 10” professional S for 18 years and it’s a beast. Good heft, good sharpness, nice balance. It’s not quite as sharp as my Japanese santoku but it’s plenty sharp enough, and good for hard things like pumpkins as well as general cutting and chopping.

People speak highly of the Victorinox knives, particularly price:quality.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

People speak highly of the Victorinox knives, particularly price:quality.

Yup:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

t really feels like a real knife for $30.

This is totally how I feel about my Victorinox chef's knife! Granted, I take really good care of my knives, but it's stayed super sharp; with occasional honing, I haven't had to get it sharpened yet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I’ve used and have the victorinox and it works well enough-I’m just not a fan of the big plastic handle on it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like my chonky victorinox. It was a bit intimidating when I first got my 8in Chef, it's just such a beast in real life with that huge black handle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Scientastic posted:

I really hate this kind of thing. Beef fillet IS good, and when cooked correctly and served with proper sides, it’s loving delicious. The snobbery around fillet really confuses me, like it’s bad to have anything that’s subtle, because everything has to have BOLD FLAVOUR or it’s a waste.
agreed

If you cant enjoy lighter flavors perhaps your palette is the problem. You can try eating bland for a few weeks to reset it (I've done this)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Steve Yun posted:

Always have a beater knife. One that will let you do dirty rough things that you can’t do with your delicate knife.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I like the Victorinox's grippy rubber food service handle better than the smooth wood of the more fancy poo poo I have

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Victorinox Fibrox knives are my beaters. They're ~30 bucks, can take a pounding, and I never have to feel bad about using them for rough stuff. Although I do have a no-name chinese cleaver I got a the local asian food store for the really heavy work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

They're ~30 bucks, can take a pounding, and I never have to feel bad about using them for rough stuff.

Hey anyone hear from Pr0k's mom lately?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:perfect:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

:vince:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

:golfclap:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My work knife is one of these:
http://www.mundial-usa.com/shop/10-chefs-knife-2
But with a red handle.
I can spot if anyone ran off with it from across the kitchen, it was cheap, it holds a decent edge.

They also have a line of knives that have an eye forged on the back of the tang for attaching a chain or whatever too. I guess for if you're really worried about someone running off with it

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

:drat:

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Thumposaurus posted:

My work knife is one of these:
http://www.mundial-usa.com/shop/10-chefs-knife-2
But with a red handle.
I can spot if anyone ran off with it from across the kitchen, it was cheap, it holds a decent edge.

They also have a line of knives that have an eye forged on the back of the tang for attaching a chain or whatever too. I guess for if you're really worried about someone running off with it

Those are often used in institutional facilities with rounded tips etc so the knife can't wander too far from it's station when it isn't supposed to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Liquid is going to kill me for this, but gently caress it :jeb:
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1204408822653235200?s=19

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I would eat the can dinner.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hell thats a way more balanced meal than i eat most of the time

e: wait who the hell has scrambled eggs and bacon with christmas dinner

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Or mince? Must be British.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OMGVBFLOL posted:

That's breakfast, then a mid-morning snack of mince pies, then the dinner and pudding.

There should be some after eights and some stilton+crackers right at the bottom tho.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
This all seemed a little familiar to me. They did this last year, too.

And all the way back in 2013.

I still don't think it actually exists.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

prayer group posted:

This all seemed a little familiar to me. They did this last year, too.

And all the way back in 2013.

I still don't think it actually exists.

One can always hope.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/the-game-christmas-tinner-2704307

Might be real?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Christmas came early this year, assuming you're like me and love cookbook archaeology. Duke University has digitized a bunch of 19th and early 20th century advertising cookbooks. This is an incredible trove of crazy, fascinating, and occasionally even useful recipes. Take, for instance, a page from the Fruits and Candies Cookbook thoughtfully provided by the makers of Lydia E Pinkham's Vegetable Compound, a Helpful Product for assisting Those Persons stricken with Female Problems:

It's good candy making. It's fascinating anthropology. Reinforcing societal norms and selling snake oil make outstanding partners, don't they?

And how about this page from Sixty One Uses for Salt, With Some Comment on the Kind of Salt to Use:

It's not too difficult to guess who influenced the "Comment on the Kind of Salt to Use;" interesting that they're still a favorite brand today, though, isn't it?

This release (or at least my awareness of it) is well timed. I've been going through a 1907 candy recipe book from my collection and re-creating some of the recipes to give friends for Christmas this year. Maybe I'll resurrect a few more ancient recipes once the holidays are over.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Christmas came early this year, assuming you're like me and love cookbook archaeology. Duke University has digitized a bunch of 19th and early 20th century advertising cookbooks. This is an incredible trove of crazy, fascinating, and occasionally even useful recipes. Take, for instance, a page from the Fruits and Candies Cookbook thoughtfully provided by the makers of Lydia E Pinkham's Vegetable Compound, a Helpful Product for assisting Those Persons stricken with Female Problems:

It's good candy making. It's fascinating anthropology. Reinforcing societal norms and selling snake oil make outstanding partners, don't they?

And how about this page from Sixty One Uses for Salt, With Some Comment on the Kind of Salt to Use:

It's not too difficult to guess who influenced the "Comment on the Kind of Salt to Use;" interesting that they're still a favorite brand today, though, isn't it?

This release (or at least my awareness of it) is well timed. I've been going through a 1907 candy recipe book from my collection and re-creating some of the recipes to give friends for Christmas this year. Maybe I'll resurrect a few more ancient recipes once the holidays are over.

I don’t know what was in those bottles but I want some. Thanks for posting these.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Copying over from the industry thread;

Thanks y'all for being cool and chill where I could be open about being me. I've been on my own for a year now, and a year and a month ago I realized that I'm trans. And what with the whole, everything over the weekend. I appreciate y'all being cool and respectful. :3:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

❤️

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

trans

people: good

fats: bad (for your cholesterol)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

Copying over from the industry thread;

Thanks y'all for being cool and chill where I could be open about being me. I've been on my own for a year now, and a year and a month ago I realized that I'm trans. And what with the whole, everything over the weekend. I appreciate y'all being cool and respectful. :3:

I'm going to be updating our rules in the near future to be more explicit after recent forums-wide issues regarding FYAD, but I want to say this loudly for the people in the back :

Bigotry of any kind is not acceptable here. I don't care if you think you're being ironic or funny. This includes ableist, sexist, anti-trans, racist, homophobic, or any other kind of similar comments.

I'm really proud of the community we have here, and the ability you've all shown to treat each other with basic respect and decency, and I want to see that continue.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm going to be updating our rules in the near future to be more explicit after recent forums-wide issues regarding FYAD, but I want to say this loudly for the people in the back :

Bigotry of any kind is not acceptable here. I don't care if you think you're being ironic or funny. This includes ableist, sexist, anti-trans, racist, homophobic, or any other kind of similar comments.

I'm really proud of the community we have here, and the ability you've all shown to treat each other with basic respect and decency, and I want to see that continue.

What about people who cook steaks well done?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:kimchi: thanks LC, that's got me tearing up a tiny bit tbh. You're a good mod, as was bartolimu when they were our mod. I've never felt in danger here in GWS (except when y'all were being butts about me liking Mike's Hard Lemonade, which is still tolerable in a "it tastes better than Bud" way.) And I've been able to be open and be me. And thanks OMGVBFLOL & BrianBoitano, and consider this a preemptive "thank you" as well to everyone else, again, so I'm not thanking everybody individually.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

Subhuman

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

No mercy. :commissar:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doom Rooster posted:

Inhuman Monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hell yeah GWS is the bomb. It's why I stopped lurking.

That's right. It's your guys' fault.