Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Declan MacManus posted:

have you guys ever considered that maybe that’s what ben’s into

Getting rejected off the court doesn't stop you from getting rejected on the court believe me I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
euphronious, you're welcome to come back to the bandwagon when the Sixers are in the finals in a few months

go root for the grizzlies to make the 8th seed

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

trying to figure out who was the last good/great player who was useless from the perimeter but also did not get to the FT line at a high level (<6 FTA)?

e: just going through all NBA teams the first player who fits both parameters is Al Jefferson.

I will keep a running list of other players who qualify:
David Lee
Andrew Bogut
Carlos Boozer
Ben Wallace
Dikembe (altho he was consistently hovering above 5FTA)
John Stockton (98/99 only took 1 3 per game)
Anthony Mason
Juwan Howard
Rodman

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 4, 2020

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

trying to figure out who was the last good/great player who was useless from the perimeter but also did not get to the FT line at a high level (<6 FTA)?

e: just going through all NBA teams the first player who fits both parameters is Al Jefferson.

David Lee
Andrew Bogut
Carlos Boozer
Ben Wallace
Anthony Mason

Z-Bo only took 4 fta per game over his career

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

BWV posted:

David Lee
Andrew Bogut
Carlos Boozer
Ben Wallace
Anthony Mason

Gobert, Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol until he just randomly decided to start shooting and hitting threes in his 30s

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Z-Bo only took 4 fta per game over his career

yea im starting just by going through all NBA teams and cross checking against FTAs (as its easy to remember what players were perimeter threats). Once I get to 1990 I'll go back and look for other comparisons. the Z-Bo one is great though.

Dutchy posted:

Gobert, Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol until he just randomly decided to start shooting and hitting threes in his 30s

Chandler is a good one. Gobert was over 6 FTA last year, but yeah, the all-world defensive centre is a place where im finding the most of these type of guys

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 4, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What do you determine by perimeter, because almost all these guys have a jumper. The issue isn't that Ben doesn't shoot 3's, he literally does not shoot jumpers period outside of weird turmarounds.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Tae posted:

What do you determine by perimeter, because almost all these guys have a jumper. The issue isn't that Ben doesn't shoot 3's, he literally does not shoot jumpers period outside of weird turmarounds.

for this quick comparison i was just looking at guys who took a few 3s per game. Obviously as I go further back it falls apart a bit (as Stockton was clearly a perimeter player who just didn't take many 3s) but I was just trying to see if we've ever had a player who managed to make an all-nba team who did neither of those things well, and it seems we have in the form of an all-world defensive center or a 90s power forward.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

for this quick comparison i was just looking at guys who took a few 3s per game. Obviously as I go further back it falls apart a bit (as Stockton was clearly a perimeter player who just didn't take many 3s) but I was just trying to see if we've ever had a player who managed to make an all-nba team who did neither of those things well, and it seems we have in the form of an all-world defensive center or a 90s power forward.

In his only all-star year, Dragic averaged more 3pa than FTA, that's a cool one

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

BWV posted:

yea im starting just by going through all NBA teams and cross checking against FTAs (as its easy to remember what players were perimeter threats). Once I get to 1990 I'll go back and look for other comparisons. the Z-Bo one is great though.

Chandler is a good one. Gobert was over 6 FTA last year, but yeah, the all-world defensive centre is a place where im finding the most of these type of guys

He's under 5 per game for his career so I'm counting him!!

From skimming a b-r search it appears the best guard seasons to meet the <6 FTA and <1 3PA criteria this century belong to Rondo and Tony Parker

Also while skimming that search I saw 08 Monta Ellis. Monta played 3000 minutes that year and took 52 threes

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Evan Turner remains the funniest guy in the NBA

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/1213239245122473985?s=19

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dutchy posted:

Also while skimming that search I saw 08 Monta Ellis. Monta played 3000 minutes that year and took 52 threes

That's wild. Would you believe that Joe Dumars took six times that (300) in 1992/1993? Maybe I just forgot all about this but between 90/91 and 92/93 Dumars went from taking 45 total 3s to 300!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Kanter is awesome and I'm glad other fans are starting realize to this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

That's wild. Would you believe that Joe Dumars took six times that (300) in 1992/1993? Maybe I just forgot all about this but between 90/91 and 92/93 Dumars went from taking 45 total 3s to 300!

Isn't that around when the line moved in?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
DeMar only averaged 5.7 FTA last season, by PTS/G (guards only) he's up there.
LaMarcus Aldridge has several seasons fitting those stats and has the second best season by points with <=1 3PA/G and <=6 FTA/G behind KG 16 years ago, who by WS/48 is at the tippy top.
The best avatars make you really think.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
I think drawing fouls is underrated as a skill, especially on moves where you don't commit to a shot. Taking a shot ends a possession, but if you are good enough then you can get two or three chances to score beforehand that are essentially free. It's just not a lot of fun to watch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jim Harden is averaging nearly 40 points a game

holy loving poo poo

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Wait, is Ben Simmons considered good/great? I need to update my Excel sheet

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Pchopz_/status/1213507759951556608

this is good right, a smiling face?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Kanter is awesome and I'm glad other fans are starting realize to this

I honestly believe if he played in the 80s/90s he’d be considered a top 10ish center all time (though it’s a very crowded position). He’d be something like Kevin McHale or a healthy Brad Daugherty . Maybe even an Ewing, because it’s really hard to tell whether a lot of the great defensive centers of the past could defend under modern rules. Kanter might have been able to guard the rim more consistently back then

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Kanter would be beloved by all if he played in 2003

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

nikosoft posted:

Wait, is Ben Simmons considered good/great? I need to update my Excel sheet

only by those of us with smoothbrains

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ben simmons is fine but he should probably add a midrange shot to his game

he plays like a 2k MyPlayer that’s afraid of lowering their player grade but maybe someday he can be josh smith with better handles

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I was thinking about this the other day but remember when Danny Ainge almost gave up the Nets picks for Frank Kaminsky

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wasn't the pick supposed to for Justice Winslow, but then the Hornets picked frank

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I honestly believe if he played in the 80s/90s he’d be considered a top 10ish center all time (though it’s a very crowded position). He’d be something like Kevin McHale or a healthy Brad Daugherty . Maybe even an Ewing, because it’s really hard to tell whether a lot of the great defensive centers of the past could defend under modern rules. Kanter might have been able to guard the rim more consistently back then

As far as classic comparisons, Kanter's career per 36 numbers are pretty similar to Walt Bellamy's. Another guy who showed up in my search was thread favorite Jeff Ruland. That range feels about right for Kanter Klassic: both guys made multiple AS games but weren't quite at that elite level.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Metapod posted:

Kanter would be beloved by all if he played in 2003

Interesting avatar choice

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

chunkles posted:

For whatever reason, the AFC South thread has co-opted confederate imagery

I hate it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Intruder posted:

For whatever reason, the AFC South thread has co-opted confederate imagery

I hate it

i mean it makes sense, the afc south has noted confederate stronghold indianapolis in it

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

chunkles posted:

it's good to see that whole inclusiveness and no bigotry thing lasted a whole 5 days this time before the """""ironic""""" racist stuff came back. ofc racism is like the lowest thing on the totem pole anymore in terms of social justice so w/e.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

euphronius posted:

Looking for a team to root for rest of the season.

Thinking Lakers ? West coast schedule is rough tho

Everybody get up, it's time to slam now
We got a real jam goin' down
Welcome to the Cavs Fan
Here's your chance, do your dance
With the cavs fans
Alright...

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Ben Simmons would probably shoot 35% from wide open 15 footers. He should probably be letting fly from three, though, if only to get better at it.

It's probably more concerning that he can't shoot free throws and also isn't interested in trying to get to the line because of it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

I did not choose this

E: this is the 2nd worst av I've ever had number 1 being the Kyle singler av

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just don't understand how the Sixers FO hasn't just mandated that Ben take X number of jumpers per game. Do they really have that little influence?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mrnoun posted:

As far as classic comparisons, Kanter's career per 36 numbers are pretty similar to Walt Bellamy's. Another guy who showed up in my search was thread favorite Jeff Ruland. That range feels about right for Kanter Klassic: both guys made multiple AS games but weren't quite at that elite level.

I think the problem with this is that Kanter has a lot of post moves he just doesn’t get to use not as a function of minutes/raw usage, but because his teams simply aren’t running as many post isos for him as they would have back then. It’s not enough to compare per minute or per possession numbers, I think the key is to see what his elite skills are (rebounding, post isos, touch at the rim, bulk and strength) and consider how much more valuable those attributes used to be, and how much less so his weaknesses (lateral movement, pnr defense, switching) were

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I think the problem with this is that Kanter has a lot of post moves he just doesn’t get to use not as a function of minutes/raw usage, but because his teams simply aren’t running as many post isos for him as they would have back then. It’s not enough to compare per minute or per possession numbers, I think the key is to see what his elite skills are (rebounding, post isos, touch at the rim, bulk and strength) and consider how much more valuable those attributes used to be, and how much less so his weaknesses (lateral movement, pnr defense, switching) were

That's kind of true, yeah. There's always that moment of "Oh, hey, they passed it to Kanter?" whenever he gets a non-Oreb touch inside the arc. A lot of times he misses that first touch and they never go back to him. But when they do, he seems to settle down and find his rhythm really well.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how his skillset would translate to, say, 80s ball. It's true that his skills in those areas are elite by modern standards, but how much of that is because everyone else has de-emphasized teaching/developing those skills? Would he still stand out as elite if he was going up against McHale, Moses, Gilmore, etc? I think his rebounding would stand up, at least. The way he positions himself for the offensive rebound even before the ball has left the shooter's hand is a thing of pure instinctive beauty that can't really be taught. I think his post game doesn't quite match up to those elite guys, but maybe battling with them down low every night for 82 games a year would help him get even better.

Either way, I think he's a good player and he comes across as a genuinely good person, and it's a pleasure to get to root for a guy like that in a world where so many top athletes turn out to be scumbags/abusers.

Finally, because I really enjoy this "comparing modern players to old ones" thing, I'd just like to say that Marcus Smart is the modern evolution of Paul Pressey.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/KellanOlson/status/1213324052825169921?s=19

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1213578661758148608?s=21

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The commentary is great, too:

https://twitter.com/memgrizz/status/1213569169637163014?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Would TO be willing to license the "Getcha Popcorn Ready" trademark?