Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just got an Android Tablet, but it doesn't come with any default apps for drawing or writing text files, so are there any recommended apps for that (preferably free, as long as they don't come with mal/spyware)?

I can't speak to drawing, as I would imagine trying to draw on a tablet that's not designed for it would be a painful experience, but for text files, the Google Drive app has Docs/Sheets/Slides built-in, so you probably already have all the Google counterparts to the MS Office sweet installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I can't speak to drawing, as I would imagine trying to draw on a tablet that's not designed for it would be a painful experience, but for text files, the Google Drive app has Docs/Sheets/Slides built-in, so you probably already have all the Google counterparts to the MS Office sweet installed.

Fair enough about the drawing, the tablet probably isn't designed for it judging by the round-tipped pen which came with it (and I was unaware that was a thing).

Does the Google Drive app have local saving capability, or it is only to the cloud? I'm likely to be using it in places where there is either no wifi around, or with various local passwords I'm not going to be bothered to learn, so I need to be able to save to the tablet itself.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, if you want to do "real" drawing on Android, the Note series is about the only game in town. The stylus on the Shield tablet was pretty good, but Samsung still works better.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Fair enough about the drawing, the tablet probably isn't designed for it judging by the round-tipped pen which came with it (and I was unaware that was a thing).

Does the Google Drive app have local saving capability, or it is only to the cloud? I'm likely to be using it in places where there is either no wifi around, or with various local passwords I'm not going to be bothered to learn, so I need to be able to save to the tablet itself.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375012?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

You can create new files offline, and you can set existing files to be available offline as long as you do so while you have internet access.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:cripes: Every app has a rating in the 4 to 5 range with positive reviews which go "5 stars, best app ever", and the critical review goes "this app will delete your data and kick your puppy dog", and I have no idea who to trust. I'm paralyzed with indecision.

I might as well just stick with the simplest answer, Google Docs in offline mode.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 31, 2019

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My daughter has a Fire HD 10 (2018? Whatever the previous generation was) and it's just gotten so godawful slow. I'm considering upgrading to something with some more power. Is there a sweet spot in the 10 inch screen market where it won't lag really bad, but preferably under $250? I have no problem buying used off Swappa; I just don't know what's good and what's not.

edit: how's the 2019 Samsung Tab A?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My daughter has a Fire HD 10 (2018? Whatever the previous generation was) and it's just gotten so godawful slow. I'm considering upgrading to something with some more power. Is there a sweet spot in the 10 inch screen market where it won't lag really bad, but preferably under $250? I have no problem buying used off Swappa; I just don't know what's good and what's not.

Bought a 2019 Tab A for kiddo. Its not exactly super fast, but workable for Angry Birds, Monument Valley, Disney+, etc.

EDIT: The amount of RAM varies with the size of storage you buy, so make an informed purchase. I went low since I knew kiddo wasn't going to be on the web.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FunOne posted:

Bought a 2019 Tab A for kiddo. Its not exactly super fast, but workable for Angry Birds, Monument Valley, Disney+, etc.

EDIT: The amount of RAM varies with the size of storage you buy, so make an informed purchase. I went low since I knew kiddo wasn't going to be on the web.

I ended up snagging a used 128gb model on ebay for $180. I'm hoping the 3gb of ram will be helpful, but if it ends up being no better than the Fire HD 10, I'll just sell it.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Speaking of the Fire 10, is there any difference at all with the newer USB-C model with regards to installing the Play store?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fawf posted:

Speaking of the Fire 10, is there any difference at all with the newer USB-C model with regards to installing the Play store?

It's a lot easier to do compared to the last time I installed the play store on a Fire tablet back in like 2014-2015. You just install a four APK files now and that's it. https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/12/26/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Fawf posted:

Having installed the play store on both the.current and prior generations of the HD10, it's basically the same process. I think two of the apks are different because it's a newer processor though.

On a related note the new version is far snappier handheld one, which was dog slow. Battery life is noticeably improved as well but that might be just the new vs. old. Posting from a current gen HD10. Screen is similar, case is the same, speakers are the same.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Got myself and the gf the 8" Tab A. It's still got the Cortex A53 cores in there, but it's clocked faster than the Fire 8 she had. She says it's way better. In my opinion, it's not very fast at web browsing, but I mostly watch YouTube on it, and it does that perfectly fine. It lasts a really long time on battery, too.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

azurite posted:

Got myself and the gf the 8" Tab A. It's still got the Cortex A53 cores in there, but it's clocked faster than the Fire 8 she had. She says it's way better. In my opinion, it's not very fast at web browsing, but I mostly watch YouTube on it, and it does that perfectly fine. It lasts a really long time on battery, too.

I was thinking about picking up a Tab A mostly for remotely streaming games from my PC. I heard (from Reddit, so you know how that advice goes) that it worked pretty well with the Steam Link. Do you think that there would be any issues for something like that? If so, do you have any recommendations for something that can do game streaming via wifi ok (I'm not looking to play COD or anything twitchy so some lag is fine) that runs less than 300$? The only other things I'd really be using the tablet for is reading and maybe an android game or two that I don't want to play on my phone.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 11, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Samsung has announced the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite to succeed the S5e in the midrange:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s6_lite_wifi_variant_to_start_at_399-news-42357.php

What's disappointing is that, at 399 Euros, it still uses the same Exynos 9611 SoC that also powers their budget phones like the M30s, which is a 249 Euro phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have no idea why you would get that when you can get a Tab S5e for the same price (or less after sales) which has an OLED screen and a qualcomm processor.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
S-pen support would be my guess but yes, it doesn't seem compelling in the slightest.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It has an extra S

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

I just got an Android Tablet, but it doesn't come with any default apps for drawing or writing text files, so are there any recommended apps for that (preferably free, as long as they don't come with mal/spyware)?

Infinite painter is my go to free app for drawing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brakefield.painter

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm looking to buy a tablet that I can mount to the headrest of my car, so my toddler can watch some kids show while we're on a long drive.
My first idea was to buy an iPad, but they are pretty expensive. Especially for something that we won't use that often (I imagine). Also, we don't own any other Apple products, so I think an Android tablet would better fit our needs. I imagine it's also easier to just throw some avi files on an android tablet than on the iPad.
Does this thread have any suggestions? I don't need anything top end obviously, but I also don't want to buy a cheap piece of junk that will fill me with rage when trying to use it :tipshat:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Amazon Fire HD 10 goes on sale for ~$110 a few times a year, but probably won't again until Prime Day in late July or August. Still, even at $150, it's probably the best bang for your buck. It's not an overall great tablet, but it's a pretty good media machine with pretty good speakers and an SD card slot.

If you don't care about screen size and resolution, the Fire 7 is only $40.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I picked up a used Fire HD 8 (2018) today and it wont stop rebooting when on AC, with battery changed or not.

Tried 2 different AC Adaptors(2.1 and 2.4 Amp) and 2 different cables. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this ?

Place I bought it from has returns/warranty if that is needed..

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mfny posted:

So I picked up a used Fire HD 8 (2018) today and it wont stop rebooting when on AC, with battery changed or not.

Tried 2 different AC Adaptors(2.1 and 2.4 Amp) and 2 different cables. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this ?

Place I bought it from has returns/warranty if that is needed..

I'd just return it if you haven't already. Why screw with something used that's messed up and cheap to begin with?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I'd just return it if you haven't already. Why screw with something used that's messed up and cheap to begin with?

So I fixed this issue with a factory reset.

However just now this HD8 started playing some 60s compilation album by itself. I was not even in the room.. i heard the music from outside the room the tablet was in.

Is my HD8 possessed ? :thunk:

EDIT: Seems Alexa may have been involved ? as I was on the phone in the hallway talking when this happened.

mfny fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 5, 2020

smr
Dec 18, 2002

mfny posted:

So I fixed this issue with a factory reset.

However just now this HD8 started playing some 60s compilation album by itself. I was not even in the room.. i heard the music from outside the room the tablet was in.

Is my HD8 possessed ? :thunk:

EDIT: Seems Alexa may have been involved ? as I was on the phone in the hallway talking when this happened.

Return it, dude. It shouldn’t be doing any of this poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Reason For Return: Ghost

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone giving the Tab S7 a go? I preordered the 12” S7+ 128gb/4G. Will be head to head with a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 while I decide which to keep.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I need to find a good cheap tablet for reading and some mobile gaming\plex watching. I feel like a $500 tablet is a bit overkill for me. Is the Fire OK? I remember reading somewhere it doesn't allow Google's App store?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Irritated Goat posted:

I need to find a good cheap tablet for reading and some mobile gaming\plex watching. I feel like a $500 tablet is a bit overkill for me. Is the Fire OK? I remember reading somewhere it doesn't allow Google's App store?

You can sideload the Google Play Store onto any of the Fire tablets - it's really easy and you can Google the instructions

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Yeah the Fire would be perfect for that.

We should be getting an updated Fire10 sometime soon though so you might want to wait for that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the Fire would be perfect for that.

We should be getting an updated Fire10 sometime soon though so you might want to wait for that.
They always put the Fires on hella sale for Black Friday, too, which is coming up pretty soon. I think I paid under $100 for my Fire HD10.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

They always put the Fires on hella sale for Black Friday, too, which is coming up pretty soon. I think I paid under $100 for my Fire HD10.

Yeah that too.

I’m waiting for the 2020 version to come out before I get one. The 19 is ok but the 20 should see some good gains for the price.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that too.

I’m waiting for the 2020 version to come out before I get one. The 19 is ok but the 20 should see some good gains for the price.

Where did you see they're coming out with a 2020 version?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

Where did you see they're coming out with a 2020 version?

Well they updated the 8 with a 2020 version and the 10 is still on the 19 so it’s only a matter of time.

Probably before thanksgiving I’d say.

It’s not 100% guaranteed but I’d be shocked if they didn’t do it since that’s been the trend so far.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Fire 7" and Fire HD 10" are released every two years. Don't expect one this year.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

10" Android tablet chat:

The current Fire HD 10, when on sale, is probably the best of the current cheap Android 10" tablet options. The SoC is actually more performant than similar devices, and as long as you can deal with not having stock Android, you can still get the Play Store on the device, as mentioned in this thread. The "Fire OS" thing is its biggest downside, but other than that it's perfect for streaming video and browsing.

The Lenovo Tab M10 Plus is probably the best all-around option if you do want stock Android, and there are options from 2/32 GB at $150 to 4/128 GB for $250, meaning there's a Fire HD competitor around the same price point but a respectably-equipped model for a modest increase in price. Other than that, build quality is nice, and it has rather thin-for-a-tablet bezels, which comes with both upsides and downsides (namely, portability, and grip-ability, respectably.)

Finally, Walmart's current house-brand, "onn.," has a 10" Tablet Pro, a buffed version of last year's entry-level tablet options, which is comparable to the above options at a $130 price. The downsides are the lack of an oleophobic screen coating and seemingly limited availability, and the requirement to find them in-store rather than have one shipped (at least in my experience.)

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

They have those crazy sales all year, it's not just Black Friday. Usually they have the same deal on prime day and at least one other time per year. I suggest watching slickdeals if you care about deals.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm unable to add my account to my 2013 Nexus 7 after returning it to stock. I have advanced protection turned on and have two hardware keys plus my Pixel 3. The tablet just endlessly hangs after I enter my password, and if I plug in the usb key with an otg cable or the other one via Bluetooth, or tap my phone against the back, it gives me an error somehow related to the key not working. Never get any prompt to insert it, just the error.

Is Android 6.0.whatever just too old to know how to handle this? Should I try a more up to date custom rom?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm unable to add my account to my 2013 Nexus 7 after returning it to stock. I have advanced protection turned on and have two hardware keys plus my Pixel 3. The tablet just endlessly hangs after I enter my password, and if I plug in the usb key with an otg cable or the other one via Bluetooth, or tap my phone against the back, it gives me an error somehow related to the key not working. Never get any prompt to insert it, just the error.

Is Android 6.0.whatever just too old to know how to handle this? Should I try a more up to date custom rom?

My guess is that yeah, probably. I tried looking but couldn't find exactly what might be the issue but I wouldn't be optimistic about getting it to work.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picked up a Tab S7 WiFi 128gb. Seems pretty nice so far but havent played with DeX yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Are samsungs tablets still oled? Honestly the small ones are the absolute best for reading in bed. I prefer them quite a bit to an e-reader in the dark because they put out almost no light whatsoever. It's awesome (I get there are fatty oled phones now, but still).