Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

A figure skater gave me the advice "don't think about crossing over your feet, think about crossing over your thighs," which helped me get the motion better.

Wow I tried this last night and it does actually feel way better, it gets you to bring your outside foot right up high and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The advice in those videos isn't bad, but a big problem with most youtube tutorials is they make too many assumptions.. that you're already good on your edges, have decent hockey conditioning, you're already doing crossovers to some extent, or are worried getting more speed. That's hard to make use of for people that may not be able to glide on one edge yet because all the building blocks are missing.

So very specific baby steps that incrementally work towards the end goal are wayyyy more valuable, and those are pretty scarce on youtube.

That's why the best advice is going to be to take classes/lessons because without someone seeing you skate it's going to be hard to know what to recommend.

It's probably not impossible to self train yourself to skate better from books/videos/etc but having a live teacher is probably going to be way easier on you.

bewbies posted:

one of the refs in our game last night was a no poo poo tripod skater, and was also grossly overweight. like his ankles bent inwards and you could hear his edges complaining about it. we ended up losing to our Main Rival on a late goal that only went in because he missed a very blatant penalty in front of our net...because he was still on the other end of the ice.

i dont expect much from beer league refs, but holy hell if you are literally unable to keep up with the speed of the game

a couple of our guys are also refs, and were chirping this guy so mercilessly that i kind of started to feel bad for him. like, he was clearly only there to fill in for someone and i assume knew perfectly well he shouldn't be reffing an A league game. still though, what the gently caress

My league is the same way. We have refs who are players in the lower level leagues that ref our games. They do their best, but they can't keep up with the speed of the games they're reffing.

I try not to chirp them. It's not their fault really that they have to ref our games. There just aren't enough people that want to ref. And there especially aren't enough people who want to ref who have the skating/knowledge to ref our games.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 29, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
:stare:

This wasn't my game but our goalie watched this unfold. (Div 3 GSHL). Our periods are 2 x 18 minute run clocks with 3rd period being 18 minutes stop time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

High-scoring games rule, but woof, that’s some terrible D.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I swear the scorekeepers at the Everett community rink count every shot attempt as a shot on goal. Every one of our games up there ends up with wildly inflated totals.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm convinced someone spilled some of their vape juice in the shot button and it sticks. One of my last games was 60 something to 60 something. I know we dont play the best defense but I highly doubt it was that high.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

drat, are they just counting shots from the whole day or what

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Just looked that game up and am thankful I declined it. Didn't want to play in Everett. Judging by the previous games between those teams, those totals might not be too inflated.

E: :stare:

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 31, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Get to the gym, work on flexibility and strength. Core, glutes, legs. Deadlifts, kettlebell swings, squats, lunges, all of it.

Use sliders and practice your stride length.

Back when I gave a poo poo that stuff helped much more that YouTube video or private on ice lessons.

I need to start doing this again. I was doing one of those 5x5 programs a couple years ago and I noticed a huge difference. Once the weights started getting heavy I started getting concerned about loving my knee or back up with poor form though and slowly gave it up, and now I'm back to being the guy getting sand kicked in his face in that charles atlas comic.

Anyone done any dumbbell/bodyweight stuff for hockey? I'm thinking I could probably get into a good routine in my basement. I'm feeling especially slow and lovely lately even though I'm playing a ton and taking two classes/week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, my routine for the past year has been in the basement. It's basically the same scheme sellouts suggested, but I add some pushups, planks and rows to help with upper body. I don't have much of a weight selection, heaviest I got is a 35lb dumbbell but I make it work.

Since my shooting pad is right next to the bench I also work my hands with a stickhandling ball and maybe take a few shots.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My weekly workout routine is sitting on the couch playing video games for 4 days and playing hockey for the other 3.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

Anyone done any dumbbell/bodyweight stuff for hockey? I'm thinking I could probably get into a good routine in my basement. I'm feeling especially slow and lovely lately even though I'm playing a ton and taking two classes/week.

Find a personal trainer in your area and take a handful of kettlebell classes to learn proper form. I did CrossFit, and like your fears hurt myself pretty badly.

So then I found a guy locally who did strength training for colleges in Michigan (rare in LA to find anyone with real hockey experience) and now he’s an official in our games. A handful of lessons to do it safely helped me. Kettlebells and deadlifts are the free weights I use and it’s a pretty good deal. I still can’t do a Turkish getup but I’m also out of my routine now.

For core stuff between sets I’d do Animal Flow for core work. Basically just variations of the beast so I’m not looking like an idiot flailing around taking up a bunch of floor space.

Pushups own (and are super hard to do correctly if you have never done it before. It took me weeks to learn because I suck!). Pull-ups, also hard!

Sliders are cheap. Trx if your gym has it, great for body weight. Medicine ball work, if you have access, great. Resistance treadmill for sled pushes as a burnout at the end is also great.

You also don’t need a set of kbs for that. You just need one and you can make any workout as difficult as you want.

Edit: for non hockey specific this isn’t bad: https://furthermore.equinox.com/hawaii#/training-plan. The renegade rows only hold the plank and move left and right across another set of dumbbells was another regular workout.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 31, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Anything you do will help. I lean toward less heavy weights and more body weight HIIT stuff now. I can play harder for longer doing the interval training than just weights.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
You can do a surprising amount with body weight exercises. Most of hockey is plyometrics which is all HIIT. Have fun vomiting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yes, my routine for the past year has been in the basement. It's basically the same scheme sellouts suggested, but I add some pushups, planks and rows to help with upper body. I don't have much of a weight selection, heaviest I got is a 35lb dumbbell but I make it work.

Since my shooting pad is right next to the bench I also work my hands with a stickhandling ball and maybe take a few shots.

Add a slickdeals alert for the Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells. They rule if you're looking for multiple dumbbell weights.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ginette Reno posted:

It's probably not impossible to self train yourself to skate better from books/videos/etc but having a live teacher is probably going to be way easier on you.

...otherwise you end up with a weird old-man-tries-to-skate-fast stride like me. I need to take another power skating course and have 'em try and fix my poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

...otherwise you end up with a weird old-man-tries-to-skate-fast stride like me. I need to take another power skating course and have 'em try and fix my poo poo.

BEND YOUR KNEES

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Duke Chin posted:

This is basically me and 90% of adult learners I've seen. I'm faster than most people in my lower league because I have strong legs from years of lifting, but my stride is utter garbage unless I'm super aware of getting as low as I can, and even then it looks stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if the current topic is hulking out in the gym, if your hip mobility sucks it's going to limit your speed too. You might have the world's beefiest glutes but if the smaller muscles can't help out, your ability to apply technique is gonna suffer. Look up how to work your hip adductors. And isometrics.

Or just do lunges, you can get the "isometric" part of it by doing the lunge but not letting your knee hit the ground then hold it for a few seconds.

None of us get as low as we should, but it's not the only issue to look in to. :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lets not talk about hip flexors. Mine hurt purely from the mention.

Also, don't hurt your psoas. It sucks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Edit: for non hockey specific this isn’t bad: https://furthermore.equinox.com/hawaii#/training-plan. The renegade rows only hold the plank and move left and right across another set of dumbbells was another regular workout.

This looks like a good place to start, thanks. I hate going to the gym but I can do all this at home and then incorporate some shooting pad stuff as well. Anybody doing yoga regularly? I'm taking this power skating class with my wife and after it's over we're talking about finding a weekly yoga class. My flexibility is garbage.

I guess it should be no surprise that I'm dogging it on the ice because I keep getting older and not working out. I always think I'm doing okay because I play hockey and a lot of my friends don't play any sports or exercise at all but that's a pretty low bar. Plus those aren't the guys I'm competing against.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t get shooting pad stuff tbh.

Get a $10 pair of sliders and just do 20 of those in a row on each leg then 20 cross strides then some pushups and repeat until burned out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because shooting pucks is fun?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

prom candy posted:

Anybody doing yoga regularly? I'm taking this power skating class exwith my wife and after it's over we're talking about finding a weekly yoga class. My flexibility is garbage.

I do yoga or Pilates twice a week and it's helped my flexibility quite a bit. Good stuff.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Verman posted:

Lets not talk about hip flexors. Mine hurt purely from the mention.

I needed 6 weeks of physical therapy to get over my hip flexor injury. I tweaked it again about a year later, but not as badly as the first time and after just a week of doing all the exercises I was taught at PT from the previous injury, it got better.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

At a critical junction: kid needs new shinguards. Trying to convince him tongue-under-shins is the weak sauce route, and tongue out is the way of champions.

Update to follow.

Edit: he has chosen to let the tongue be free!

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 2, 2020

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

a mysterious cloak posted:

At a critical junction: kid needs new shinguards. Trying to convince him tongue-under-shins is the weak sauce route, and tongue out is the way of champions.

Update to follow.

Edit: he has chosen to let the tongue be free!
You made him choose wrong you bastard!

In other news, had a game last night and in the dying seconds 1-goal down I was chasing after a puck that went behind the boards. A guy from the other team was pressuring me and eventually we went awkwardly into the boards. He was behind me and kinda gave me a shove so I was a bit miffed that once we landed on the ground he was pissed at me and tried to punch me in the head for, well I don't quite know. So I punched him right back once or twice before both got up and no penalties were called.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Guy on my team had a freak accident during our game last night and had to be carried off the ice then taken to the hospital by ambulance. He caught an edge too hard, went over wrong, and broke his leg in two places along with likely getting his ankle too. He sent us a picture of the x-rays, it’s bad and he’ll be off the ice for at least a few months.

Refs didn’t really help the situation. The opposing team had the puck but actually handed over possession once they saw the man down and the refs still wouldn’t blow the whistle. Took everyone yelling at them and one guy finally physically turning a ref for them to stop the play.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We had that two years ago. Same thing, guy caught to much of an edge, collapsed an his weight into that leg but the edge kept holding place. He twist-snapped his tibia and fibula? Near his shin and down by his ankle. I don't think he skated for a solid year. Had rods and screws put in. When we helped him off the ice his foot was pointed a solid 90° outward.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen three shattered ankles from stuff like that, turn funny and something pops and congratulations you're out for a year and you got metal in your leg.

Two of them were relatively new skaters, not sure if it's possible to draw conclusions from three data points but it does suggest a pattern!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Verman posted:

We had that two years ago. Same thing, guy caught to much of an edge, collapsed an his weight into that leg but the edge kept holding place. He twist-snapped his tibia and fibula? Near his shin and down by his ankle. I don't think he skated for a solid year. Had rods and screws put in. When we helped him off the ice his foot was pointed a solid 90° outward.

His foot wasn’t that bad, but from looking at the x-ray that’s exactly where everything broke. He and his wife actually posted the photo to social media already. Surgery is tomorrow.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Did a reduced round 1 of this today, turns out I'm badly out of shape! This should keep me busy for a while.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

Did a reduced round 1 of this today, turns out I'm badly out of shape! This should keep me busy for a while.

Yeah it’s really hard and you don’t have to do super heavy weights!

A woman on our team had a tib/fib fracture on Friday night. Still gonna come hang at pond hockey which is loving dope and so hardcore.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Played 2-on-2 outdoor half rink hockey on Friday night with some pals. Weather was awesome, 30f degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Never held a stick in my life, only been on ice skates twice (been skating roller derby for ~5 years), but I wasn't a complete liability and even scored a goal by shooting the puck at an empty beer can in the net. I'm completely hooked on hockey. Now to hit up the zillion or so stores around me for some used gear.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
one of us, one of us

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't neglect starting your spreadsheet of ice time, start it now so you know the records are accurate.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

one of us, one of us
glad to be here! :buddy:

xzzy posted:

Don't neglect starting your spreadsheet of ice time, start it now so you know the records are accurate.
Wait, for real? I plan on skating at like public parks (there are 3 within 10 minutes of my house) and that kinda stuff to start out with. Who's gonna be asking for ice time from me?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Whatever you do, don't record expenses of any kind (medical, league fees, gear, ice time, beer) or you might want to stop if your significant other doesn't already force you to.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

Whatever you do, don't record expenses of any kind (medical, league fees, gear, ice time, beer) or you might want to stop if your significant other doesn't already force you to.
We both play roller derby and are very comfortable keeping ourselves in the dark regarding how much money we've sunk into it, so no sweat there! She also used to play hockey in high school (her team won the Minnesota state tournament!) so she's on board with more skate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

:getin:

Definitely don't track expenses (equipment, medical, or otherwise). Other than that, have fun, don't worry about sucking (we all suck), and the answer to all disputes is to break the other guy's stick. Or take a dump in his glove.