Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

xzzy posted:

I've seen three shattered ankles from stuff like that, turn funny and something pops and congratulations you're out for a year and you got metal in your leg.

Two of them were relatively new skaters, not sure if it's possible to draw conclusions from three data points but it does suggest a pattern!

4th data point. Probably 10-12 years ago, the guy wasn't a very strong skater, caught an edge pivoting from forward to backward and broke his tib and fib down near his ankle. He was in his early 40's I think at that point, maybe late 30's. Either way he ran his own masonry business and just gave up hockey after that because it wasn't worth it to him to be out of work like that for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
man these new fangled bauer sticks with the big hole in them just aren't worth it:

https://i.imgur.com/CaOpnFi.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Veteran play to throw back the head instead of stopping to go back and recover.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why would you not stop and go back and get the puck

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Quitting mid play because you made a mistake is a classic beer league maneuver

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
hah "stopping"

hahaha "going back"

NEVER! :argh:

And from later in that same shift: https://i.imgur.com/Tx4kkik.mp4
And then a mere few moments later, a big ol :doink: https://i.imgur.com/RP1RkeP.mp4 (audio included if ya right-click, view video btw)

Ginette Reno posted:

Quitting mid play because you made a mistake is a classic beer league maneuver
^^^ this guy gets it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bewbies posted:

it was all friends on the other team and this was a big ol for-fun game that Bradf0rd tried to kneecap me in

edit: also I'm "old" and "lazy" and and and

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 4, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MORE KNEE BEND

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
NO.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

scuz posted:

glad to be here! :buddy:

Wait, for real? I plan on skating at like public parks (there are 3 within 10 minutes of my house) and that kinda stuff to start out with. Who's gonna be asking for ice time from me?

Welcome. This thread has a few... how do you say it so the text reads the way you mean it... spastics?!?

I once had an in thread tantrum about a guy flopping to draw a penalty when we were in overtime and they were already 8 seconds into a 4 on 3 power play.

Someone posted number of career goals, assists, penalties, and like a running total of money spent. All of this pay-to-play beer league hockey, mind you.

Additionally there have been arguments about :
  • whether it is appropriate to intentionally break someone's stick, if they've wronged you or your team.
  • whether it's appropriate to poop in someone's glove
  • whether it's appropriate to "healthy scratch" a dues paying teammate for being bad

All of these arguments have been extremely one sided and a lot of good arguments for "NO" have failed to convince the posters who started them.

Edit: We also periodically argue whether shoulder pads/face protection/neck guards/whatever are necessary. When it comes up we all state our opinion and no one is ever convinced.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 4, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cages cause concussions.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cages cause concussions.

This guy fucks.

But no they don't.

Also Bradford single handedly stole a championship from me. So there's that.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 4, 2020

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Poop glove still gets a chuckle out of me whenever I think about it.

I will say having the Sparx sharpener has been great. It's allowed me to play around with different hollows and see which one I prefer. Never would have thought that I feel the most comfortable on a 5/8 cut. Can actually turn "faster" than my previous cuts.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stitecin posted:

Welcome. This thread has a few... how do you say it so the text reads the way you mean it... spastics?!?

you realize this is you, right?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

that Bradf0rd tried to kneecap me in

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha this is great

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

sellouts posted:

you realize this is you, right?

I checked my post history. I had forgotten about my rant regarding the guy I have since learned is known as "Diving Bill". I'll add it to the list of spastic behavior.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Duke Chin posted:

hah "stopping"

hahaha "going back"

NEVER! :argh:

And from later in that same shift: https://i.imgur.com/Tx4kkik.mp4
And then a mere few moments later, a big ol :doink: https://i.imgur.com/RP1RkeP.mp4 (audio included if ya right-click, view video btw)

^^^ this guy gets it.

I love how your D man just leaves Red unmolested right in front of the crease.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't shove people around the crease either, that's a lot of energy getting burned for no benefit.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

That's no fun, I always feel a little let down when I screen and don't get abused at least a little.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I play out I just park myself in front of the crease and try and draw penalties. Not like I'm a good screen or anything, I'm only 5'8".

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Verman posted:

Also Bradford dongle handedly

Well then

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Guy who Paul Bunyan'd my stick a couple weeks ago that told myself and 6 other teammates on his next shift that he was going to buy me a new stick status: he did not buy me a stick.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Yeah it’s really hard and you don’t have to do super heavy weights!

My legs are still dying from this two days later and I have power skating in like 3 hours. If any other out of shape idiots in this thread are thinking of starting this program start slow. I've started and stopped weightlifting lots of times so I'm used to DOMS but drat, this is next level.

Also I took a brutal fall during warm up on Saturday when I found a hole in the ice and now my stick is making a rattling noise. I should definitely replace it with a more expensive one, yes?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think I have poo poo rattling in the shaft of just about every stick I own.

Then again, I'm cheap and don't like to buy sticks, even if they get chopped in half.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

man you didn't deserve a chopped stick but you're not exactly an innocent party here either

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'll accept that.

I joke around with everyone on the ice: skaters, refs, and scorekeepers, even when I make terrible plays. Last season playoffs, we were in OT and I tipped one of their shots from the point right past my goalie to end our season. The other team asked if I wanted credit for the goal and I didn't chop anyone's stick in half. I laughed, said yes, then went and drank beer. I'm just out there to have fun and don't take it super seriously :shrug:

e: My goalie is now 78th out of 189 players in league scoring with 10 "assists" :lol:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 4, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Holy poo poo I was drunk posting again.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

prom candy posted:

Also I took a brutal fall during warm up on Saturday when I found a hole in the ice and now my stick is making a rattling noise. I should definitely replace it with a more expensive one, yes?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think I have poo poo rattling in the shaft of just about every stick I own.

Then again, I'm cheap and don't like to buy sticks, even if they get chopped in half.

The last stick I bought was one of the more expensive sticks I've bought, I think it was like $150 on sale from like $180? I don't remember exactly I just know I try not to break much more than the $100 mark and hunt for sales pretty regularly but was feeling like treating myself.

Anyway I don't think price has that much to do with rattle/not rattle because that stick almost immediately started having poo poo break off and rattle around the inside. To the point I actually took the plug out and emptied it and by the time I finished the next skate it was rattling again. I have dumped poo poo out of it like 3 times and I don't know how it hasn't shattered considering how much material has come out of it. It doesn't feel compromised and when empty it doesn't have the cracked stick sound, you know when you kind of bounce the stick on the ground a little bit and listen for vibrations? It still sounds solid. It is a mystery.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Vargatron posted:

I love how your D man just leaves Red unmolested right in front of the crease.

...i'm the idiot in red. :ssh: I live for being unmolested.

and missing redirects.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

This guy fucks.

But no they don't.

Also Bradford dongle handedly stole a championship from me. So there's that.

:smuggo:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’ve been playing with a broken stick for months.
So obvious when I go to load up a snapper but it isn’t broke in half and what do I care?

Being a smug rear end in a top hat isn’t being funny. Gotta know your audience and feel it out and if the dude is bummed he made a mistake it better be hilarious or it’s gonna come off wrong.

An official told me once “say whatever you want to me as long as it’s funny. When it stops being or isn’t funny you’re going to the box.” Now we’re bros.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nice broke rear end haiku, idiot

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
damnit i just wanted you guys to tell me to go buy a new stick

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you do make sure to take a lovely cell phone picture and put it on r/hockeyplayers with a NEW TWIG!!! subject like anyone in the world is going to give a poo poo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

If you do make sure to take a lovely cell phone picture and put it on r/hockeyplayers with a NEW TWIG!!! subject like anyone in the world is going to give a poo poo.

My favorite posts on r/hockeyplayers are the ones titled "is it too late for me to start playing hockey?" and then it's revealed in the text they're a teenager.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

“I played hockey for a while and then quit. I’d like to get back into it. Wondering if it’s too late. I’m 12.”

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Last night I pulled the 'controller disconnected' move and the other team tied the game and we lost in overtime.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had one of those a couple months back, was back checking and dude got a step on me so I started gliding and he ripped it past the goalie. The defense were all busy apologizing to the goalie thinking they'd messed up and on the bench I'm all "uhh nah, if I had taken one more stride I could have stick lifted and prevented the shot completely."

But instead I stared and had the best seat in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

bud i've been playing for 5 years now you think i don't know this hockey 101 poo poo, cmon