Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's insanely annoying if you use uBlock in "3rd-party scripts blocked unless whitelisted" mode, because now even resources that used to count as first-party are now revealed to be on some CDN edge network and thus blocked.

I use ublock for adblocking first, page loading speed and resource use second, and privacy a distant third. So just personally it way exceeds how much I might care about stealth tracker scripts spying on me vs hassle to make the internet work.

edit: also the other potential pitfall that I've seen is where adspamcdn.com (which I don't have whitelisted) is actually CNAME'd to normal AWS or Akami or Cloudflare (which I do have whitelisted because the internet runs on those). I haven't experimented to see exactly what happens there, I think adspamcdn's scripts are still blocked unless both are whitelisted. But it definitely makes things harder to disentangle when you just want to make a website work.
There's not a way to turn it off and restore the old behaviour, is there? Because I'm bothered by it too.
At the very least it helps to set a shortcut to the 'relax blocking mode' option in the uBlock Origin dashboard, since you can then try a key combination which automatically reloads the page and might make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's not a way to turn it off and restore the old behaviour, is there? Because I'm bothered by it too.

poo poo, I probably should have mentioned that while I was posting huh? :downs:

On the main settings page, on the line "I am an advanced user" there's a little gears icon. Click that.
Then find cnameUncloak in that list and set it to false.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

poo poo, I probably should have mentioned that while I was posting huh? :downs:

On the main settings page, on the line "I am an advanced user" there's a little gears icon. Click that.
Then find cnameUncloak in that list and set it to false.
Advanced user options is also required for dynamic filtering, so of course I have it on. :)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Is there something wrong with the "Autoplay" setting in Firefox? I have it set to "Block Audio" as a default and I have nobody whitelisted. Yet, when I visited this news site and I scrolled a bit down on the page, some stupid video started playing with audio on. Firefox says I didn't give any special permissions to the website and I don't think I clicked play on the video. Did people find a way to break it? I'm only running ublock origin.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

Did people find a way to break it?

Yeah there's a lot of stuff getting through it now. I'm not sure someone's broken it on purpose as it's pretty niche and autoplaying videos are everywhere. More likely that blocker is not maintained actively enough.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's not a blocker, the FF component that plays video is supposed to just not play anything. But as soon as you interact with the page with clicks or keys it allows video to play. FF doesn't know what stuff on the page might be controls for the video player, so they just enable video after anything.

So:

Volguus posted:

Yet, when I visited this news site and I scrolled a bit down on the page

1. Load page, click on the page, scroll down

2. Load page, don't click anything or use keyboard, scroll down with mousewheel only

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Klyith posted:

It's not a blocker, the FF component that plays video is supposed to just not play anything. But as soon as you interact with the page with clicks or keys it allows video to play. FF doesn't know what stuff on the page might be controls for the video player, so they just enable video after anything.

So:

2. Load page, don't click anything or use keyboard, scroll down with mousewheel only

And of course they give you a "we'd like to send you push notifications" popup that any sane person will immediately click "gently caress no" on to trick you into interacting with the page first thing :tinfoil:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

And of course they give you a "we'd like to send you push notifications" popup that any sane person will immediately click "gently caress no" on to trick you into interacting with the page first thing :tinfoil:

The new "can we send you notifications" thing is so much worse than the old box that'd just pop up. Now there's an obnoxious shaking icon in the bar even though I've disabled notifications from anywhere and set it to not allow sites to request them in both normal settings and about :config.
I loving hate it so much.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

So:

drat. That's it. I do like to click/highlight poo poo as I'm reading, so that's what makes the videos play. Hmm, ok, is there a solution for this? To only record media player interactions as actual actions to let it play? Or do I have to just walk on glass with any website?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Geemer posted:

The new "can we send you notifications" thing is so much worse than the old box that'd just pop up. Now there's an obnoxious shaking icon in the bar even though I've disabled notifications from anywhere and set it to not allow sites to request them in both normal settings and about :config.
I loving hate it so much.

What version?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

drat. That's it. I do like to click/highlight poo poo as I'm reading, so that's what makes the videos play. Hmm, ok, is there a solution for this? To only record media player interactions as actual actions to let it play? Or do I have to just walk on glass with any website?

Whole lotta these random sites use jwplayer to provide their video. You could block jwplayer universally by setting this stuff:

to blocked global, then allowed local for sites you want to play video.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

astral posted:

What version?

73.0.1 or whichever is current.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I would love to see videos only playing due to interacting with protected controls.
I don't know what they were thinking allowing sites to bind it to page-scrolling keys.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I’d love an extension that just disables video and audio entirely until you press a button in the address bar or whitelist the site.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

I’d love an extension that just disables video and audio entirely until you press a button in the address bar or whitelist the site.

You could do that (and a lot more) with uMatrix.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I was wondering why the examples on this page don't work and disabling my extensions and hard reloading and everything.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/conic-gradient

Turns out firefox doesn't support conic gradients. :o:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wheany posted:

I was wondering why the examples on this page don't work and disabling my extensions and hard reloading and everything.

Good thing you scrolled down a little bit at some point!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there an extension that will search using multiple search engines whenever I search via that address bar? Doing this via 1 tab per selected search engine would be fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Splinter posted:

Is there an extension that will search using multiple search engines whenever I search via that address bar? Doing this via 1 tab per selected search engine would be fine.

Maybe this?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/contextual-search/

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Wheany posted:

I believe that's coming in 75.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Could possibly make that work, but ideally it would work via the address bar rather than the context menu. just trying to compare the results different engines give me for a few weeks without having to alter my workflow much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What's the current easiest way to set tabs below the toolbars?

I could have sworn that I had something that did that, but today when I booted firefox up the tabs were back on top.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Schwarzwald posted:

What's the current easiest way to set tabs below the toolbars?

I could have sworn that I had something that did that, but today when I booted firefox up the tabs were back on top.

It literally changed for me within the last five minutes. Restarted my computer for another program's setup, and bam, tabs are up top yet again.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I don't know about easiest, but https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/releases is what I use. You do need to flip through the code and turn stuff on/off though. But I only really bother to update it when something breaks, which works out to every couple of months.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It literally changed for me within the last five minutes. Restarted my computer for another program's setup, and bam, tabs are up top yet again.

That's about just what happened to me. I lost all my tabs, too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Zenostein posted:

I don't know about easiest, but https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/releases is what I use. You do need to flip through the code and turn stuff on/off though. But I only really bother to update it when something breaks, which works out to every couple of months.

Since the child designers at mozilla mostly just move buttons and css around this is the only reliable way. Having a more skilled unpaid volunteer do it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a plugin (or even standard included hotkey in FF/Windows) that can tell me where highlighted text from a <ctrl-f> find is?

For example, let's say I clicked on the smilies link when composing a post here.

and want to find a smiley that contains the phrase "duck"

So I <ctrl-f>, type "duck"

It says I get 4 matches, and I can select next/previous, and the screen shifts, but the highlighted text is not readily visible. I still have to painfully hunt for it.

Is there a way/toggle something, like a cursor or animation, that shows where it is?

Thanks

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 7, 2020

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

slidebite posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a plugin (or even standard included hotkey in FF/Windows) that can tell me where highlighted text from a <ctrl-f> find is?

For example, let's say I clicked on the smilies link when composing a post here.

It says I get 4 matches, and I can select next/previous, and the screen shifts, but the highlighted text is not readily visible. I still have to painfully hunt for it.

Is there a way/toggle something, like a cursor or animation, that shows where it is?

Thanks

I'd love something like that. Safari on MacOS has a great effect.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

Try out about :config -> findbar.modalHighlight set to true

that darkens the page to make highlights more visible and makes a "bounce" effect when you ctrl+g

OTOH it's buggy and not very well implemented, definitely a thing that moz got bored of and stopped working on before finishing

rip findbar tweak

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Newest Firefox Preview on Android now includes uBlock Origin, making the browser usable. Huzzah.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
You mean out of the box? Not having to install it as an add-on?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

qsvui posted:

You mean out of the box? Not having to install it as an add-on?

No but it's available under the new Add-ons option in Settings, very easy install

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 11, 2020

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No but it's available under the new Add-ons option in Settings, very easy install

That's been there for ages hasn't it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

turtleface posted:

I only became aware of it after yesterday's update.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

slidebite posted:

Thanks

There was, then Mozilla destroyed it.

https://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/16/findbar-tweaks-improves-firefoxs-on-page-search-significantly/

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Speaking of Firefox Preview, I was wondering if it was in a state to replace my current use cases for regular Firefox for Android and Firefox Focus:

1) Regular browser, remembering state. If opened fresh, show a home page (my home intranet page). The former works out of the box, but I can't figure out how to set a home page.

2) Focus-like mode, where all state from links opened externally is destroyed automatically. Not sure how to achieve this with the new focus.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

turtleface posted:

Nah, I'm still on the version before that new one and there's nothing about add-ons in the settings.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Great! My work’s scheduling software is on some obsolete garbage, so Firefox now refuses to connect.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Unless I'm gaslighted into oblivion, Ublock Origin has been working on mobile for quite a while but you couldn't see the icon or access its settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Unless I'm gaslighted into oblivion, Ublock Origin has been working on mobile for quite a while but you couldn't see the icon or access its settings.

Firefox Preview is a new completely rebuilt version of Firefox Mobile that hasn't supported extensions until now.