Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So during work break I was going through the forums and I saw someone mention that there's a stickman (I think?) fighting game that's free and is also picking up steam in the tournament scene.

The thing is, I don't remember which topic it was from so I can't check it myself. Was it the free games (that used to be not free) thread? The other free games (that has always been free) thread? Was it this thread? Was it one of the General threads? The fighting game thread? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Or maybe I'm looking at it and my eyes are glazing over it somehow?I just wanted to learn a new fighting game and it's driving me nuts! Did I imagine it somehow?

Turns out I remembered the wrong keyword! It wasn't stickman, it was MS Paint! And I found it in Free Games Always Free thread!

Doctor Goat posted:

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize why there was confusion there. Whoops!

Here's another game! Ultra Fight da Kyanta 2 is a chaotic, fast paced, MS Paint level fighting game with a surprising number of fun gimmicks. It's starting to get some traction at fighting game tournaments!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone know of recommended couples games for OS-X, for people who aren't seasoned gamers? Some friends need a recommendation for getting through the quarantine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

double nine posted:

does anyone know of recommended couples games for OS-X, for people who aren't seasoned gamers? Some friends need a recommendation for getting through the quarantine.

Knights and Bikes

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Don't know if it's on OS-X but Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes will either cement their relationship or torpedo it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crossy Road. Find out how much your significant other wants to push you in front of a car.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I've been playing Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book lately which has a bunch of features I really like: It's a story-light, procedurally generated, open ended RPG, has quick JRPG combat, has NPC adventurers that act autonomously, and is generally just a casual experience. The fatal flaw is the dungeon designs absolutely suck rear end to the point they spoil the game for me. I'm curious of anyone can think of a game with a similar vibe.

There's games like Battle Brothers and Starsector that have the high level quest and party management, but have tactical battles and extremely granular options that take a long time and a lot of thinking.

There's the Soldak ARPGs, which are some of the few games with autonomous NPCs I can think of. Those are real time ARPGs but scratch a similar itch.

Caves of Qud with permadeath turned off is another one that sort of appeals, since it has lots of procedural towns and quests to go do.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What are some nice relatively easy RPG's that involve more strategy/tactics vs lots and lots of story. I already have and have played and enjoyed Skyrim and Witcher, and I specifically don't want games where the whole game comes to a stop unless you figure out some puzzle. Suggestions welcome :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Check out the Avernum games by Spiderweb Software. You might also look into roguelikes; Dungeonmans has good tactical gameplay and absolutely no story to concern yourself with. :v:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mayveena posted:

What are some nice relatively easy RPG's that involve more strategy/tactics vs lots and lots of story. I already have and have played and enjoyed Skyrim and Witcher, and I specifically don't want games where the whole game comes to a stop unless you figure out some puzzle. Suggestions welcome :)

Voidspire Tactics or Alvora Tactics. The former features good exploration and there's a lot of hidden loot everywhere. The latter is pure dungeon crawler, with random-ish room layouts and encounters. The rooms are pretty simple in Alvora Tactics, but occasionally you get some premade side areas which have more interesting terrain. Occasionally some optional puzzles will spawn that you can do for loot, but they're pretty easy.

A third game by the dev was released recently called Horizon's Gate, which is a sailing/tactics hybrid where you sail from location to location and either trade goods or explore the wilderness for loot and exp. You can fight other fleets and board ships for tactical combat too. It's a slower pace than the other games due to the sailing aspect though.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 17, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

McFrugal posted:

Voidspire Tactics or Alvora Tactics. The former features good exploration and there's a lot of hidden loot everywhere. The latter is pure dungeon crawler, with random-ish room layouts and encounters. The rooms are pretty simple in Alvora Tactics, but occasionally you get some premade side areas which have more interesting terrain. Occasionally some optional puzzles will spawn that you can do for loot, but they're pretty easy.

A third game by the dev was released recently called Horizon's Gate, which is a sailing/tactics hybrid where you sail from location to location and either trade goods or explore the wilderness for loot and exp. You can fight other fleets and board ships for tactical combat too. It's a slower pace than the other games due to the sailing aspect though.

Thanks, those sound perfect!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I’m looking for a game like freelancer or mount and blade. Something where you putter around a mostly open world doing economic/military stuff and getting stronger. Controlling one unit is probably preferable, but down for squad ones as well. 2D vs 3D doesn’t really matter to me. Any suggestions would be great!

Things I’ve tried and dumped so far:
Freemen (the mount and blade with guns clone)
Starcom: Nexus

E: endless sky seems close, but a bit content lite maybe?

E2: Starsector is another good example of what I’m trying to describe here, though I’ve played that a bunch already.

tildes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 19, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

tildes posted:

I’m looking for a game like freelancer or mount and blade. Something where you putter around a mostly open world doing economic/military stuff and getting stronger. Controlling one unit is probably preferable, but down for squad ones as well. 2D vs 3D doesn’t really matter to me. Any suggestions would be great!

E2: Starsector is another good example of what I’m trying to describe here, though I’ve played that a bunch already.

Some oldies:
Space Rangers
Sid Meier's Pirates! (kind of)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Last Federation is a big one, although I could never get into it. You're just one alien going around in your spaceship trying to manipulate the galaxy into uniting (and killing those who refuse to unite).

There's also Star Control 2, although there's no economics in that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tildes posted:

Drox Operative, maybe?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tildes posted:

Kenshi. Battle Brothers

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

tildes posted:

I’m looking for a game like freelancer or mount and blade.

I assume you’re aware of m&b 2 coming out in ea in two weeks?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

double nine posted:

An Apple Arcade subscription. It’s got a big pile of adventure games, fun puzzle games, and other casual games to try out.

Cat Quest 2, Cricket Through the Ages, More here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleArcade/comments/dh6rz3/list_of_online_and_local_multiplayer_apple_arcade/

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 19, 2020

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ToxicFrog posted:

In that case I'm pretty surprised you're having so much trouble with Ground Control! I cleared both the original game and Dark Conspiracy but Myth utterly defeated me even on easier difficulties.

Well I actually went back to ground control, and used a cheat to get past the mission that had stumped me.... I also found out that easy difficulty didn't have any friendly fire, and it became a much better game after that (the pathfinding AI is just pants on head retarded making FF a just a huge frustration, not a fun gameplay mechanic.). Cleared the main game and now I'm working my way through dark conspiracy! :D

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Use better language please.

To not just be a stick in the mud I’ve picked up Fell Seal again and it’s good! A bunch of difficultly sliders makes this a pretty enjoyable experience.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

tildes posted:

If you liked freelancer then Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will probably be your thing.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for all the suggestions! I’ll be working through these until:

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I assume you’re aware of m&b 2 coming out in ea in two weeks?

(Didn’t know about this!)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love realistic sound design in games, especially when it modulates or cuts off the sounds being used. I noticed in the new Call of Duty that it simulates the speed of sound and the Doppler effect. The ending of Portal where GLaDOS's voice changes with each piece of damage was also great. What are some other games with this kind of attention to detail in their sound?

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
Need recommendations for multiplayer games while me and my friends are all stuck at home. We're a bunch of broke students, so bonus points for free/<$5.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Sea of thieves? On xbox pass for $1.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Grey Face posted:

Need recommendations for multiplayer games while me and my friends are all stuck at home. We're a bunch of broke students, so bonus points for free/<$5.

Path of Exile is free! The current league is a bit sketchy at the moment but you can just avoid the delirium mirrors and have a fun time. In a week or so they're fixing some balance issues.

Warframe is also free.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Hwurmp posted:

Drox Operative, maybe?

The pitch for Drox Operative sounds amazing, but I got it and I found the actual gameplay to be pretty boring. Like a worse version of Escape Velocity.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Awesomenauts is pretty easy to get into,

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Chamale posted:

I love realistic sound design in games, especially when it modulates or cuts off the sounds being used. I noticed in the new Call of Duty that it simulates the speed of sound and the Doppler effect. The ending of Portal where GLaDOS's voice changes with each piece of damage was also great. What are some other games with this kind of attention to detail in their sound?

I don't know if it will exactly fit, but Battle Brothers has some really well done sound effects. Someone going to town on a bandit with a mace will get some really heavy thuds. And a real juicy one if it's a head hit.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I recently purchased Pictionary and brought it to a family gathering, and everyone had a blast playing it.

Now that we're all trying to be responsible and maintain social distance, I'd like to find something similar online. Can anyone recommend an online drawing game, similar to Pictionary, where I can send out the links to family members and we can all join a room to play? I'll also take any recommendations for similar games that are approachable for older folks who aren't great with computers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Check out the Jackbox games, especially stuff like Drawful.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

I recently purchased Pictionary and brought it to a family gathering, and everyone had a blast playing it.

Now that we're all trying to be responsible and maintain social distance, I'd like to find something similar online. Can anyone recommend an online drawing game, similar to Pictionary, where I can send out the links to family members and we can all join a room to play? I'll also take any recommendations for similar games that are approachable for older folks who aren't great with computers.

Skribbl.io is like this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gohuskies posted:

The pitch for Drox Operative sounds amazing, but I got it and I found the actual gameplay to be pretty boring. Like a worse version of Escape Velocity.

All soldat games are exactly like this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What are some good PC games that can be played one-handed(get yer jokes in now, boys)

sometimes I want to splay out like a loaf in my easy chair and not have a keyboard in front of me, just using the mouse to play. some examples of games I do this with:

Magic the Gathering: Shandalar(requires the occasional key press but I can keep the keyboard on my couch cushion for those)
Stellaris(to a degree, at a certain point it can get overwhelming with just a mouse)
Dicey Dungeons
Poker Night at the Inventory 1 + 2
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

What are some good PC games that can be played one-handed(get yer jokes in now, boys)

sometimes I want to splay out like a loaf in my easy chair and not have a keyboard in front of me, just using the mouse to play. some examples of games I do this with:

Magic the Gathering: Shandalar(requires the occasional key press but I can keep the keyboard on my couch cushion for those)
Stellaris(to a degree, at a certain point it can get overwhelming with just a mouse)
Dicey Dungeons
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies
Most isometric RPGs, point and click adventures... Specific games off the top of my head, slay the spire and into the breach

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Captain Invictus posted:

Dicey Dungeons
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

Shadowrun Dragonfall (and or Hong Kong) can be played pretty much entirely with just a mouse other than maybe a couple of the interactable keypads

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Captain Invictus posted:

Dicey Dungeons
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

Crusader Kings 2?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Slay the spire (also great to stream to your phone), xcom 2

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Dicey Dungeons
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

One Finger Death Punch 2 (though I wouldn't consider it a relaxing, laid back time. Real good though.)

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Dicey Dungeons
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

I'm in the same boat, being a new parent. Age of Wonders: Planetfall has been my go-to game for one handed play. As mentioned above, Slay the Spire is great and Battletech could also suit your needs. You have dicey dungeons on your list as well, that'd be the game I've played the most while holding a small human in the other hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Dicey Dungeons
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

Voidspire Tactics, Alvora Tactics, Horizon's Gate.