Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I attempted to make pastry. I foolishly assumed when they said “up to 1.5 cups of cold water” one could reasonably add, say, half of that to start.

Not so!

I have only the most introductory and long-ago experience with making pastry. What happened? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ExecuDork posted:

I have only the most introductory and long-ago experience with making pastry. What happened? :ohdear:

Pastry is a cold fickle bitch from hell.

Making a soup? Just chuck in whatever.

Making choux paste? If you deviate even slightly from the accepted measurements adjusted to your air pressure and microclimate, the devil will crawl out of your oven and stab you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ExecuDork posted:

Well, they might just as well have said “up to a gallon of water,” as the required amount of water is still technically less than a gallon. Starting with two to three tablespoons of water, as I saw recommended in pastry recipes I consulted after the fact, in retrospect, would’ve been just fine. It turned into a gross, soupy mess and I threw it out.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm making a pot roast, and browned the roast and aromatics, then browned the veggies. Pot roast and aromatics go in the oven, and I find myself about 45 min into this process realizing that there's no way the veggies are going to fit in this loving pot. Wish me luck! Changeover should be happening in about 15-20 min.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Grated my thumb yesterday :(

At hotspital, gratin fingat

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
My six year-old cut off her finger pad while cutting up kiwis unsupervised (without my knowledge). While I held pressure on it I told her every story I could remember about cutting myself while cooking and showed her all my scars. I told her she's a real cook now :kiddo:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

My six year-old cut off her finger pad while cutting up kiwis unsupervised (without my knowledge). While I held pressure on it I told her every story I could remember about cutting myself while cooking and showed her all my scars. I told her she's a real cook now :kiddo:

Now show her a mandoline.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shooting Blanks posted:

My fairly recently converted to veganism mother keeps mentioning getting a mandoline to chop up carrots to make carrot cake.

I have told her several times that

a. a grater is the tool to use for that, we have several graters of varying fineness and

b. she will absolutely, definitely do herself a serious injury if she uses a mandoline. I've used one a few times and cut myself more than once even while being very careful and aware of the dangers. Not to be unkind but she could probably cut herself with a teaspoon.

I think the message has sunk in (mandolines are evil and thirst for our blood and fingertips) , but I'm still a little worried I'm going to hear she's been whisked off to hospital with three severed fingers, two missing toes and entirely covered with carrot cake batter :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

gaddam edit not quote

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Shooting Blanks posted:

We don't condone child murder on these forums

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not a dinner disaster yet, but I was dicing a mango for a mango salsa and at one point the mango took the knife and tried to cut me with it. Tricky little bastard.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I put rice in my Instant Pot- but I forgot the whole "pot" part! :downs: so then I had a fun time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I put rice in my Instant Pot- but I forgot the whole "pot" part! :downs: so then I had a fun time.

I've done that, and the water too. Very annoying to clean x.x

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Pookah posted:

My fairly recently converted to veganism mother keeps mentioning getting a mandoline to chop up carrots to make carrot cake.

I have told her several times that

a. a grater is the tool to use for that, we have several graters of varying fineness and

b. she will absolutely, definitely do herself a serious injury if she uses a mandoline. I've used one a few times and cut myself more than once even while being very careful and aware of the dangers. Not to be unkind but she could probably cut herself with a teaspoon.

I think the message has sunk in (mandolines are evil and thirst for our blood and fingertips) , but I'm still a little worried I'm going to hear she's been whisked off to hospital with three severed fingers, two missing toes and entirely covered with carrot cake batter :(

:stonk:

Can you get her a food processor with a grater attachment? Or would she figure out how to stick a fingat in it?

At one of my old jobs we used a mandoline to shred carrots and it was the most terrifying thing every time because it was impossible to use the blade guard with something like that. We did have cut-resistant gloves though, or I would have never touched that thing. The carrots also liked to get stuck in between the blades and suddenly snap off in weird ways, so if you really do have to mandoline something, pick an easier vegetable. Cucumbers were okay.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Grated my thumb yesterday :(

comrade!

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

:haw:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bees on Wheat posted:

:stonk:

Can you get her a food processor with a grater attachment? Or would she figure out how to stick a fingat in it?

At one of my old jobs we used a mandoline to shred carrots and it was the most terrifying thing every time because it was impossible to use the blade guard with something like that. We did have cut-resistant gloves though, or I would have never touched that thing. The carrots also liked to get stuck in between the blades and suddenly snap off in weird ways, so if you really do have to mandoline something, pick an easier vegetable. Cucumbers were okay.

Oh she has a food processor but it's hardly ever used because assembling the drat thing is like doing some kind of really boring 3-d jigsaw; I'll probably just end up making the cake for her, which was quite possibly the plan all along.
I hate and fear mandolines and hope never to use one ever again if I can avoid doing so. Argh, even writing about the drat things is making my fingers twitch.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Thankfully the bottom cover is held on with only one phillips screw, and after that the rice comes right out.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I did that with water. Stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out why my feet were suddenly wet. :downs:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Slate Slabrock posted:

I did that with water. Stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out why my feet were suddenly wet. :downs:

It's a different -kind- of pressure cooker, but I once managed to empty an autoclave onto myself at work. drat things have suction cup feet so I was shimmying and shawing and trying to get the drat thing off the mystery medical furniture it was adhered to. Maybe close the door or drain it before moving? Fortunately it wasn't hot.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

angerbeet posted:

It's a different -kind- of pressure cooker, but I once managed to empty an autoclave onto myself at work. drat things have suction cup feet so I was shimmying and shawing and trying to get the drat thing off the mystery medical furniture it was adhered to. Maybe close the door or drain it before moving? Fortunately it wasn't hot.

:stare: I think I would have poo poo myself

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Lab-cooking disiasters

I've never been able to use an autoclave without get a faceful of stinking steamy sterilized vapour when I take my stuff out. The least-nasty is, of course, when I autoclave lab solutions in their glass jars or in ependorf tubes. That's just mildly salty steam, with a vaguely-melted-plastic undertone. The worst, again of course, is when I had to autoclave the biohazard garbage, long ago at a job where we went through piles and piles of plastic petri dishes filled with agar growth media. This media was a lovely growth home for all sorts of horrid smelly bacteria and fungi, and those smells would persist right through the extra-long, extra-hot autoclave cycle we'd run for the garbage bags. After 45 minutes, the door slides open on what had been 30 kg of poo poo in bags, which was now 30 kg of melted poo poo in melted bags. But at least it wasn't infectious anymore!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've done that, and the water too. Very annoying to clean x.x

YEP!

So backstory, my dog is old---like 13, we think; she's a rescue so we don't know exactly---and has long since hosed up her teeth chewing bones and sticks as a puppy. So instead of hard kibbles she won't even try to chew, we've been giving her a cup of cooked rice mixed with wet food. She loves it, no tooth-pain, all is good. Until the other day when I went to feed the dogs around 5 am, as usual. In my half-asleep daze I forgot to put any water in with the rice. Was alerted to this by the increasingly-strong burnt popcorn smell and wisps of smoke from the microwave. I opened the door to find a nice bowl of carbon.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I used to do security on a college campus. I cant tell you how many times I've had to respond to a fire alarm because somebody went to make "easy mac" but neglected to put water in the container before microwaving it for 5 minutes or whatever. I could pick that smell out of a lineup

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
10 or 12 years ago I was cooking some rice in the microwave. 5 minutes on high, 30 on medium. Done it a thousand times. But when you forget the "medium" part, and you head out to the garage while it cooks, you come back to a smoke-filled house, a melted bowl, some black rice hotter than the surface of the sun, and a microwave that still works 10 years later in spite of the interior now being amber instead of white.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Eat This Glob posted:

I used to do security on a college campus. I cant tell you how many times I've had to respond to a fire alarm because somebody went to make "easy mac" but neglected to put water in the container before microwaving it for 5 minutes or whatever. I could pick that smell out of a lineup

One of my roommates in university managed to achieve the opposite. He put water on to boil to make basic mac&cheese from the old-school cardboard box. Then he sat down in front of the TV and 2 hours later I got home.
"What's that smell?"
*roommate's eyes bug out, he runs to the kitchen*

The water had completely boiled off, and the non-stick coating on the bottom of the pot had transformed into a thin layer of very fine light-blue powder. We threw the pot away (once it cooled off). The pot had been mine - a cheapo Walmart special - and he bought me a replacement. Which I was happy about.

I had a bit of a reputation at that time as a chronically unhappy and grumpy person. When he told his girlfriend that I had expressed my appreciation for his replacement pot, she said "You made the monster HAPPY?!"

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
Not my cockup, but my stepmother's. This was several years ago, and she was trying out a recipe for a whole, salt-baked fish (not the same recipe, but you get the idea).

An important part of baking a fish in salt is the skin. Without the skin, the salt will dissolve in the juices and absorb into the fish, making it salty enough to be inedible. She's ordinarily an excellent cook, so she was pretty distraught over that one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I made spätzle tonight, but I hosed up and made it too thin. Instead of starting over, I just decided to dump it in the pan that I was sautéing cabbage and onions in with butter. The texture was weird and gloopy, so I tossed it in the oven after deglazing with white wine. A while later, it came out nice and firm - like a giant egg noodle. Actually really good, and very well received. It almost had a similar texture to clafoutis, oddly enough.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I know a lot of people have time on their hands and are used to eating out - curious what inventive screw ups are going down....

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Arkhamina posted:

I know a lot of people have time on their hands and are used to eating out - curious what inventive screw ups are going down....

Last night I made pizza crust with expired almond flour and it had such a gnarly aftertaste that we broke down and ordered one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In my apartment building, I've been hearing different smoke alarms more nights than not. Not like actual fires, just people who aren't used to cooking.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ugh, rancid nut oils are so gross. It's a flavor that just lingers. I have learned the hard way to always nibble a sample nutmeat before dumping them into a recipe.

I am a stress cooking person, and normally have a dozen or so nerds to my house every weekend. Now I am more stressed than normal, can't work out, and our household is 2 isolated people. I am getting twitchy as I also hate wasting food...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

rancid nut oil

Mods, please.

Also, I'm taking a stab at making croissants for the first time. I'm sure I'll get a cockup out of my first batch.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Guess who just learned you can't just throw a bunch of corn starch into hot soup!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

Guess who just learned you can't just throw a bunch of corn starch into hot soup!

oooo she thiqq

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna go with clumpy.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I premix starches into a small amount of cold water first which so far has worked to avoid clumps.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

CrazySalamander posted:

I premix starches into a small amount of cold water first which so far has worked to avoid clumps.

Yeah I learned this after I Googled wtf had happened to create the giant gelatinous blobs in my soup

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Same, only with egg. Made the mistake once and ended up with scrambled eggs in soup. Now I know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Accidental Egg Drop Soup? drat. Now I want egg drop soup....

My sister and I used to argue about who got to make the Thanksgiving gravy. I won the argument after she put so much cornstarch it cooled into a gravy boat shaped lollipop with a spoon stick.