Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So, I've got a pot of oil on the stove, this morning over my oatmeal I inspired to make some donuts. Looked it up, holy poo poo, yeast-raised donuts is some work.
In the boy scouts, on camping trips we would make passable donuts by frying stretched out tube dough. Are there any quick bread recipes for donuts? I guess that's basically a funnel cake, so no..

Anyone got any donut recipes they like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Squashy Nipples posted:

One thing I learned at summer camp as a kid, potato chips can be a good addition to some sandwiches.

I’m a huge fan of adding potato or tortilla or corn chips to sandwiches.

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, I've got a pot of oil on the stove, this morning over my oatmeal I inspired to make some donuts. Looked it up, holy poo poo, yeast-raised donuts is some work.
In the boy scouts, on camping trips we would make passable donuts by frying stretched out tube dough. Are there any quick bread recipes for donuts? I guess that's basically a funnel cake, so no..

Anyone got any donut recipes they like?

Doughnuts are just leavened enriched bread doughs, imo. Fry up yeasted, or sourdough, or danish / puff dough, or quick bread dough (this is what cake doughnuts are). If you want specific recipes, check out ideas in food; they opened a doughnut shop.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to always fry up chunks of leftover pizza dough and toss in cinnamon and sugar.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I have another weird question. We bought the whole Serrano from Costco last year (which was awesome) but now we kind of have a bunch of dried out meat on a bone. Can we treat this like country ham and give it a braise to release the meat and use it in soup etc? I’m thinking yes. Has anyone dealt with this before?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to always fry up chunks of leftover pizza dough and toss in cinnamon and sugar.

This is what we did growing up with whomp’ems (canned biscuits, because the seal would often not open correctly and you’d have to whomp’em on the counter to open the tube).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So South Korea invented (popularized?) Dalgona coffee which is basically coffee meringue on top of cold or hot milk, and it owns

(if ASMR bothers you, Google a different video instead)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOiMXRxLRaM

I did it on hot milk and if you have instant coffee I suggest you do too!

1 Tbsp instant coffee
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp boiling water

Whisk until soft peaks, stir half into the milk and float the rest on top! Tomorrow I'll use glass instead of my normal mug so I can photo it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have another weird question. We bought the whole Serrano from Costco last year (which was awesome) but now we kind of have a bunch of dried out meat on a bone. Can we treat this like country ham and give it a braise to release the meat and use it in soup etc? I’m thinking yes. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Yes, and I had satisfactory results, though the meat texture got a little stringy, but the flavor is clutch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

Yes, and I had satisfactory results, though the meat texture got a little stringy, but the flavor is clutch.

Can also shave/grate it and treat it like bonito

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Fry Bread? Sopapillas?

Squashy Nipples posted:

One thing I learned at summer camp as a kid, potato chips can be a good addition to some sandwiches.
The other day I impulse-made some potato chips because I had potatoes and a sandwich and no potato chips. They were pretty good. Way too much work for the payoff, though. Did 'em shallow in a skillet because I didn't want to use enough oil to properly deep fry 'em, but sneaking up on the ideal oil temp from below works with potato chips (as it does not with e.g. frites) because you're basically just trying to replace all the water with oil anyway.
Didn't take photos, being too old to have the Instagram instinct, and it all got et.

I guess an ultrapurist would argue it was not cassoulet because I didn't use the right beans (no cannellini used Alubia blancas from RG), didn't have salt pork so I subbed bacon, and instead of using proper duck leg confit I just did the legs (and thighs) in the pressure cooker. But it was still good. Fuckin yay for the CSA meat place being completely out of chicken but still having duck.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Weird question, back in the day someone made a caprese salad martini for an iron chef here, does anyone remember which one it was, balsamic maybe?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So I finally got around to making Kenji's evaporated milk mac and cheese after he posted his video of it this week. I'm impressed. If you had fed it to me and told me it was a bechamel cheese sauce, I would have 100% believed you. It won't replace my sodium citrate sauce any time soon, but I don't think I'll ever make a bechamel sauce mac and cheese ever again. This was virtually indistinguishable, but faster, easier, and fewer dishes.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Wow, thank you for reminding me of that. I had one week like three years ago where I made that dish like four times and then I never touched it again for some reason.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wait, that stayed edible till NOW? Or has the bone been chilling in the freezer.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wait, that stayed edible till NOW? Or has the bone been chilling in the freezer.

Dude it’s dry cured ham. It lasts forever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Dude it’s dry cured ham. It lasts forever.

But like, uncovered? I was under the impression that it could get stale. If I knew they lasted so long, I would have gotten one.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

But like, uncovered? I was under the impression that it could get stale. If I knew they lasted so long, I would have gotten one.

You don’t just leave it out. You keep the cut part contact with it’s fat and covered in plastic and then under a cloth the keep light away. But yeah it lasts forever. It dried out over time though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You don’t just leave it out. You keep the cut part contact with it’s fat and covered in plastic and then under a cloth the keep light away. But yeah it lasts forever. It dried out over time though.

Do you have to really mummify it in plastic wrap, or a light coating?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If I may make a humble suggestion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0TTjjoZoN0

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you have to really mummify it in plastic wrap, or a light coating?

Just lay the plastic over the part you are cutting from so it is sealed. No mummification

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can I get a recommendation for salt (for a salt mill/grinder)? Normally just use kosher or table salt but now own a decent mill. Hopefully something I can order on Amazon here in Canada but all recommendations welcome.

e: The salt is for use with a grinder, to clarify

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 5, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You confused me, are you looking for salt or a grinder? If you want a new fun salt, try Maldon. It's weird at first but now I use it more often than not.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Croatoan posted:

You confused me, are you looking for salt or a grinder? If you want a new fun salt, try Maldon. It's weird at first but now I use it more often than not.

Yeah just looking for salt that specifically is for a mill and not already fine grain or w/e you call the consistency of typical table salt. I'll check out Maldon, thanks.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't use a grinder for Maldon, I use a salt cellar. You should check one out.

If you think it's weird just be reassured that by salt's nature a salt cellar is safe because salt kills viruses and bacteria.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 5, 2020

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I have a kinda crappy loaf of homemade bread and my first thought was to make stuffing. Now I know that normally stuffing goes IN the chicken, but I have some thighs that need using up soon and I was pondering just putting the chicken directly in the stuffing like some kind of mad scientist. If I chopped it and mixed it in do you think the general stuffing baking time would be enough to cook the chicken? Is this crazy?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Probably safer/more tasty to just cook it when you sweat the onions/celery/veg for the stuffing

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Don't use Maldon in a grinder, drat. You can use any coarse salt. I use La Baleine, but if you see a coarse Himalayan or whatever and you think it looks cool, go for it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I have a kinda crappy loaf of homemade bread and my first thought was to make stuffing. Now I know that normally stuffing goes IN the chicken, but I have some thighs that need using up soon and I was pondering just putting the chicken directly in the stuffing like some kind of mad scientist. If I chopped it and mixed it in do you think the general stuffing baking time would be enough to cook the chicken? Is this crazy?

I’d cook the chicken first personally, or else treat it like a casserole and cook it for a long time. I never put stuffing in a bird (so I guess it’s dressing?) since it can sometimes not get to proper temps for safety without preheating everything.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah cooking the chicken first prob a good idea. I was doing so good the first week and a half of this quarantine bullshit. Keeping on top of dishes, making interesting new things, having a healthy meal plan for the week, all sorts of home projects that had been put off, and the last week has been nothing. I want to just order pizza and give up but I did that yesterday. Guess I'll have some coffee and.........just sit around about it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Dalgona coffee

1 Tbsp instant coffee
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp boiling water

Whisk until soft peaks, stir half into the milk and float the rest on top! Tomorrow I'll use glass instead of my normal mug so I can photo it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Made this a few times for my wife. Instant coffee tastes like poo poo. This drink tastes like poo poo with a bunch of sugar and milk.

Shaving some chocolate and tonka bean on top made it a bit better as well as cutting back on the sugar. But it’s still instant coffee based.

I ended up going with 1:1.5:2 ratio coffee:sugar:water by weight. Which worked okay, but still.... not great.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doom Rooster posted:

So I finally got around to making Kenji's evaporated milk mac and cheese after he posted his video of it this week. I'm impressed. If you had fed it to me and told me it was a bechamel cheese sauce, I would have 100% believed you. It won't replace my sodium citrate sauce any time soon, but I don't think I'll ever make a bechamel sauce mac and cheese ever again. This was virtually indistinguishable, but faster, easier, and fewer dishes.

This is on my go-to list of quick dinners. It has never let me down. I only make the bechamel/mornay sauce if I need to use up the milk. But I always keep 2-3 cans of evaporated milk in my cupboard for this exact purpose. It makes decent queso too.

The 1 pot version works well too where you just dump equal parts evap milk and water into the pasta pot and then stir in cheese later but you need to basically stand over it and it doesn't save any time, just a pot.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Made this a few times for my wife. Instant coffee tastes like poo poo. This drink tastes like poo poo with a bunch of sugar and milk.

Shaving some chocolate and tonka bean on top made it a bit better as well as cutting back on the sugar. But it’s still instant coffee based.

I ended up going with 1:1.5:2 ratio coffee:sugar:water by weight. Which worked okay, but still.... not great.

I have instant occasionally. I think it helps to think of it not as coffee, but as coffee-flavoured beverage.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I have instant occasionally. I think it helps to think of it not as coffee, but as coffee-flavoured beverage.

We never run out of coffee, though I do keep a couple of vias on hand for like, going to the in-laws, or something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

We never run out of coffee, though I do keep a couple of vias on hand for like, going to the in-laws, or something.

Neither do we, but sometimes I’m at a place that only has instant. I quite like it, but I don’t regard it as coffee. It helps!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Fry Bread? Sopapillas?

Hmmmm, good suggestions. I also have a pound or so of left over corn tortillas drying out in the fridge, I should fry those fuckers up and hit em with sugar and cinnamon.

I guess if I'm making yeast raised, I want to bake Pineapple buns. I've been on a bun kick lately. But maybe I'll fry up some raised dough and see how it goes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fireball in instant isn't bad. The only good use of fireball

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm fridge pickling radishes and jalapenos, I've never pickled radishes, are they supposed to smell like feet this strong after only one day? Because holy gently caress this makes cauliflower and cabbage smell like flowers.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I'm fridge pickling radishes and jalapenos, I've never pickled radishes, are they supposed to smell like feet this strong after only one day? Because holy gently caress this makes cauliflower and cabbage smell like flowers.

I’m surprised you made it a day before you noticed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, I put radish in my kimchi sometimes and it absolutely ramps up the fart smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The subtle moment when you're color blind and have to ask a three year old if something is a lime or a lemon, and of course he thinks this is a quiz and gets all cagey. No, just tell me if it's yellow or green, I literally can't see the difference. Yes, buddy, we can play with dinosaurs in a second but you gotta tell Onkie what color things are when are you going to get theory of mind.