Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sandwolf posted:

So Andy you’re really voting me because I asked you to finally respond to not just the case on you but some of the casing being done on you? You could have given many answers I would have been fine with, the hyper-aware, “let me explain how any way I answer this will make me scummy,” is what I didn’t like. You seem overly concerned with being thought of as scummy and not very interested in catching scum.

For example, it really feels like you’re trying to cast shade on Amni, but you vote me?
I think Amni's wrong, but town, and therefore persuadable, and you, as scum, are not.

Also it's not the first time I've seen that "town have nothing to fear from the lynch" thing but it's still so obviously wrong that I got a bit cheesed off, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Votecount for Day 1

merk (3): Jose Valasquez, merk, merk, ASAPRockySituation, Jose Valasquez, Hal Incandenza, bowmore
Scientastic (3): Mikujin, Leith Maclaine, Mikujin, Jose Valasquez, Kashuno
Kashuno (3): Jen X, Jen X, Jen X, merk, xopods
CapnAndy (3): merk, Kashuno, merk, Kashuno, Amnistar, kingcobweb, Sandwolf, Epsilon Plus, kingcobweb
OFFICER LIGER (2): Scientastic, merk, Tom Tucker, merk
Jen X (1): Khris Kruel
Sandwolf (1): CapnAndy
xopods (1): Scientastic, Scientastic, Mikujin
Dexanth (1): zzyzx, Leith Maclaine, Leith Maclaine, merk, merk
Leith Maclaine (1): Scientastic, Dexanth, Scientastic
Jose Valasquez (0): Scientastic, Scientastic, Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza
Pussy Quipped (0): Mikujin, Mikujin
bowmore (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf
Spoonsy (0): zzyzx, zzyzx
Mikujin (0): Scientastic, kingcobweb, xopods, Scientastic, kingcobweb, xopods

Not Voting (8): Deadbeat Dad, kingcobweb, Kloaked00, Mr. Humalong, OFFICER LIGER, Pussy Quipped, Spoonsy, yuming

With 27 alive, it's 14 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Token Female posted:

Deadline question:

Which time do you prefer for a deadline: (these are all EDT)
Friday Night ~8-9 pm
Saturday Afternoon ~2-3 pm
Saturday Night ~8-9 pm

Please answer this if you haven't already. Otherwise I will assume that all three times work well for you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

kingcobweb posted:

I did!!

is "lynch all liars" still the meta
Okay I would like to know if we're looking at the same wiki or what

I made an edit, look: http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/w/index.php?title=CapnAndy_Gambit&diff=1298&oldid=1161

It said it was named after me because it was used on me and I saw that page and was like "wait, that's not right, and I know because I was there" so I fixed it!

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

The current one from the discussion thread is samafia.net, so it probably got changed at some point.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Folks I have learned tonight that I am not 21 anymore. Now to catch up

Amnistar posted:

Notice how scum Cap does not actually provide any reads, instead presenting an arguement where any read given makes them look like scum.

This is the mindset of scum, as they are intrinsically more worried about coming across as scummy.

This is really tunneling on your case Amni. Do you have reads on anyone else at the moment? town or scum?

Sandwolf posted:

Yeah like do you think my pursuit of you is legitimate? Zzyzx said he thought I was propping up a case, do you agree with that? Do you disagree with that? What about the other votes on you?

This is a bizarre post. I really hate posts that are like 'do you believe me finding you scummy is legit?!' because like, what does that gain? it's the most fruitless read you can gather. The rest is fine I guess.

merk posted:

##vote Kashuno

You got soul read. Sorry.

hey merk you wanna play?

CapnAndy posted:

I don't have a read on Epsilon Plus.

kingcobweb made an egregiously bad drive-by vote.

You're being obdurate; you originally voted me for "being self-aware", and after I made a lengthy post explaining that yes, it was self-aware, because I've lost my temper and become a disruptive presence in previous mafia games and I don't want to do that any more and am carefully monitoring myself against it, you haven't even acknowledged that, let alone gotten off my case. You saw one thing you didn't like and now everything else I say is proof, no matter what. Your mind is made up. Case in point:
Yes, why would I be worried about coming across as scummy with people who think I'm coming across as scummy, especially when I'm trying to change their minds? This is some nonsense, man. I'm asked to defend myself and then accused of defensiveness.

Sandwolf's case against me is entirely wrong, but at least he's made one, and scum don't have a monopoly on being wrong. That said, the more time passes, the more I dislike his "is my case on you scummy" question. It is some "have you stopped beating your wife yet"-level bullshit. I'd like to point out that what you asked is not at all what he did. "Is my case on you scummy" and "give your reads on the people voting you" aren't the same question. I'd like to further point out that he has not yet answered my question of "what response to that would you have accepted as townie" -- he just waited for you to defend him and then went "yeah that". It's deflection. I maintain that the question had no acceptable answer by design. I think he laid a very, very good trap for me and is upset that I looked at it, said "that's a trap", and handed it back.

Y'know what? I've convinced myself.

##vote Sandwolf

This reads to me as an omgus. Sandwolf's line of questioning is some dumb stuff for sure, but I don't think that makes sandwolf scum necessarily. TYhis post also has me pretty solidly convinced Andy is town.

I was gonna post more on Amni's subsequent posting, but honestly it just feels a lot like tunneling and not super worth commenting on. Amni is feeling empowered in their read and going to follow it.

It feels like there is a pretty big town slapfight going on here

xopods posted:

Yeah, merk's right about this guy... I was reading a bunch of random people earlier trying to see what my gut was telling me and he was on the short list.

##vote Kashuno

I'm not a fan of 'gut read', at this point, since we've had a good amount of posting thus far to comment on, but if this moves the discussion past where it currently seems stymied I'd be happy to argue my own cases

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

OFFICER LIGER posted:

i want to say first of all the way segmented quotes work on sa is stupid and wish that we had nesting quote trees when quoting posts with quotes in them

i just wanna say i appreciate how in the first paragraph you got annoyed at someone putting words in your mouth and in the last paragraph you go ahead and put words in their mouth

i've missed mafia

Hey folks I know we've all had a lot of fun today but it's time to come back to the guy who has been trying to be dismissive of things all day and wanders back into the thread just to make a few low-content posts to keep his posting up and then kicks up a ton of dust on Capn Andy without actually saying anything.

I also still get a scum vibe from Capn Andy based on that first post, but he has seemed pretty genuine since.

Come back to Liger folks he's literally pretending not to care while also digging into peoples profiles (and now trying to make a joke out of it to redirect from how scummy this is as a guy who "doesn't care lol") and he's just in here throwing spaghetti at Capn Andy without directly saying he's scummy or voting for him.

It's scum 101 redirect but don't look like you're redirecting, it's day 1 so without the vote no one will remember he was pushing the bandwagon onto Andy without actually saying it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Okay I would like to know if we're looking at the same wiki or what

I made an edit, look: http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/w/index.php?title=CapnAndy_Gambit&diff=1298&oldid=1161

It said it was named after me because it was used on me and I saw that page and was like "wait, that's not right, and I know because I was there" so I fixed it!

Different wiki https://www.samafia.net/index.php?title=CapnAndy_Gambit&action=history

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey folks I know we've all had a lot of fun today but it's time to come back to the guy who has been trying to be dismissive of things all day and wanders back into the thread just to make a few low-content posts to keep his posting up and then kicks up a ton of dust on Capn Andy without actually saying anything.

I also still get a scum vibe from Capn Andy based on that first post, but he has seemed pretty genuine since.

Come back to Liger folks he's literally pretending not to care while also digging into peoples profiles (and now trying to make a joke out of it to redirect from how scummy this is as a guy who "doesn't care lol") and he's just in here throwing spaghetti at Capn Andy without directly saying he's scummy or voting for him.

It's scum 101 redirect but don't look like you're redirecting, it's day 1 so without the vote no one will remember he was pushing the bandwagon onto Andy without actually saying it.

I really like this post, feeling good about Tom right now.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Amnistar, you are now doubling down on your vote for capn andy. That's nice and all, but who else acting around you do you suspect?

One of the basic goals of scum is to get town to attack each other, and then push that lynch while making you the fall guy. If you're town, who would you suspect doing this?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So because my version was the most current one, it marked that as the creation date when everything got imported over I guess. That's actually pretty neat.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

for the record, capnandy and amnistar are reading town to me. Looks like your normal day 1 egos clashing.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

By "digging into peoples' profiles" you mean clicking on the profile button and reading what's there?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

zzyzx posted:

By "digging into peoples' profiles" you mean clicking on the profile button and reading what's there?

wow ok creep

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

dismissive of things...the one thing. pointing out a cognitive dissonance in andy's post is kicking up a ton of dust? also how is clicking profiles scummy? please, write it out. tell me how its scummy. i want to know your thought process.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Two different people asked me for other views....

Amnistar posted:

I like this post, I like PQ right now. Agree with this read on Kingcobweb.

Cant you at least check if I've given some first?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amnistar posted:

Two different people asked me for other views....

Fair I missed that in the slap fight

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

OFFICER LIGER posted:

dismissive of things...the one thing. pointing out a cognitive dissonance in andy's post is kicking up a ton of dust? also how is clicking profiles scummy? please, write it out. tell me how its scummy. i want to know your thought process.

To understand the thought process of Thomas Tucker is akin to trying to understand why the mountains rise from the earth, why the fruits produce juice for our nourishment or why the child requires his mother. It is unknowable.

In these times where the Dementors are around us, the python dark oman appears in the sky above, and we fight for the heart of magic itself, one does not question he who hath brough Mafia to the forums.

(I'm was working overnight last night and again tonight so slept all day. Skimmed the thread but will actually read through shortly. Thank goodness work doesn't block the forums)

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Also, is there somewhere that shows a vote count that updates in real time, or do we still wait for the vote count to be posted by Tokes/Max as above?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kloaked00 posted:

Also, is there somewhere that shows a vote count that updates in real time, or do we still wait for the vote count to be posted by Tokes/Max as above?

The vote count image in the OP updates. You can also see the game on votefinder.org which updates

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Kashuno posted:

slap fight

##vote kashuno

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Leith Maclaine posted:

Looks like newest is me by a longshot.

Leith Maclaine posted:

That hasn't ever stopped other people.

Leith Maclaine posted:

True, but as Sandwolf pointed out, you did say that Liger was at best an "unhelpful townie" which means you do have an opinion already, but you are backing away from it.

These ping me as making a particular effort to make posts but not participate in much of anything. I would vote this guy, or merk, or sandwolf.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

xopods posted:

I always feel the same way when people actually listen to me early on, and for good reason.

However, in a game this size I expect a lot of people are just going to pick between early cases rather than doing any scum hunting of their own because there's just too many people to pick from otherwise, and then if you're not going with someone that's already got momentum for them, you have to somehow convince 13 other people to vote with you.

Like, I've actually been reading pretty carefully but I could probably only name half the people in the game at this point without looking at the OP and was kinda thinking about just going with CapnAndy or Liger or someone because it's just going to be chaos until we're down to a manageable number of players anyway.
This post irks me. You're rationalizing just putting a couple people in the lime-light and gunning for them until the game is "manageable."

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sandwolf posted:

I see several people have pointed out at this but I think it's a scumpost. It's a big long post rationalizing a vote against Liger and ending without a vote on liger. It feels like it's preparation for a real vote on liger but it feels forced.

The very last paragraph is the worst part though, if you think he's scummy, vote him. Don't plea to him to save himself? If you don't think he's scum, why write the big long post detailing why you think it's scummy?

##vote Cap'n Andy

Jen X posted:

I don’t like this vote.
Any particular reason why? It seems to be parroting a lot of the other stuff being said about CapnAndy and I don't know if that's particularly damning.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kashuno posted:

Jen’s posting is coming across as way too self conscious right now. When she was presenting her case on me she was coming across much more confident and poignant, even if I don’t agree. Right now she seems to be stumbling as she tries to waffle between being able to go either way on the way the Capn vote leans.
This seems like a big ol' stretch. She commented on the case, discomfort about Andy, asked him a question, and then seemed satisfied with the answer. I'm not sure why what makes that seem like waffling at all; her play seems entirely reasonable. Making someone out to be the bad-guy like this, however, is unreasonable.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Amnistar posted:

Notice how scum Cap does not actually provide any reads, instead presenting an arguement where any read given makes them look like scum.

This is the mindset of scum, as they are intrinsically more worried about coming across as scummy.

I want to remind you that your 'case' was 5 words, and while others may have called CapnAndy out since, I feel like you're the only one coasting on the Andy vote. If Andy is scum for not being willing to make an explicit alignment call on D1, you're just as much scum for clutching so fiercely the first thing anyone agreed with you on.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

For reals that post just reads arrogant as all get out.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yea no way I'm voting this guy like ever

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Token Female posted:

Please answer this if you haven't already. Otherwise I will assume that all three times work well for you.
Friday evening > Saturday evening > Saturday afternoon

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Amnistar posted:

Town reads are extremely safe and you know who likes to do safe things right?

Haha got'em boys. :bustem:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alright so having caught up I feel it's reasonable to comment on two of our more prolific posters. Despite people giving him a hard time about the fact he cares are perception, Andy's posts seem genuine and I don't think he's got some sinister motives. Amnistar, on the other hand, seems like a dog with a bone and that feels pretty town all the same. Khris nailed it already:

Khris Kruel posted:

for the record, capnandy and amnistar are reading town to me. Looks like your normal day 1 egos clashing.

As I pointed out in my catch-ups, there's two post giving me pause right now:
  • this post from xopods. It feels like he's just rationalizing a bad lynch on D1 while patting Amnistar on the back in a "there-there" buddy manner. He's not said much else today, but basically saying "it's ok to be wrong D1" comes across as feel-good poo poo from someone who knows the other guy has it wrong.
  • this post from kashno. As stated above, I feel like he's misrepresenting the interaction in order to make Jen look worse for it.

I'm hoping to see some more from merk and dex tomorrow, since both have bye and large said little. Bed time.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I think CapnAndy is posting in good faith. This is purely based on what I remember of him as a player from 10 years ago, but that's what I've got right now. Scientastic also reads town to me since in my experience, it takes a select scum player to wantingly make the first effort for turning from the joke phase to real discussion.

I'm actually going to ##vote Epsilon Plus. Reading the thread through it stuck out to me that I saw multiple posts from him, but couldn't remember an actual stance he's taken on anytime. Clicking his ? confirmed this. He has posts, but it's all worthless filler. Even his vote for CapnAndy appears to be filler and the reasoning (if you can call it that) for the vote is mostly a joke. Reads to me as scum trying to appear to have substance without actually taking a stance on anything.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am awake! I haven’t had any tea yet, so I’m not able to quote people, but here are my quick takes on the last 131 posts I read:

* CapnAndy’s posts read like a normal town player to me, I don’t see scum in them, I just see careful equivocating which is null

* Someone said that scum are self-conscious and worry about how they portray themselves: town players absolutely should do that too, it is in towns interest to not think town players are scum

* Merk is conspicuously absent

* Liger is still scum, nothing I’ve read looks like town reacting

* A few people have seen CapnAndy getting some traction and piled on

* Mikujin seems way less poo poo than I remember

* Lots of lazy “me too” posts using the size of the game as an excuse to bandwagon

I will do proper things later, but it’s too early here for me to get my laptop out

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm actually going to ##vote Epsilon Plus. Reading the thread through it stuck out to me that I saw multiple posts from him, but couldn't remember an actual stance he's taken on anytime. Clicking his ? confirmed this. He has posts, but it's all worthless filler. Even his vote for CapnAndy appears to be filler and the reasoning (if you can call it that) for the vote is mostly a joke. Reads to me as scum trying to appear to have substance without actually taking a stance on anything.

while I'm definitely not above the occasional filler joke posts, I think describing every single post I've made as filler is a bit much. CapnAndy even agreed with me that some of his wording was non-ideal, and who's going to agree with filler?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Mikujin posted:

This post irks me. You're rationalizing just putting a couple people in the lime-light and gunning for them until the game is "manageable."

Why do people always mistake describing a thing for arguing for that thing?

I was telling Amni that I think in a normal-sized game it's correct to be paranoid when you make a case D1 and it gets a lot of immediate support. (Implicitly, because there's a good chance there are Scum trying to push an easy Town lunch).

Then I continued to say that being in a big game changes things, because the number of players is overwhelming and playing a normal D1 seems like too much effort to a lot of people. There's a much higher than normal chance that someone following another person's case is a lazy or overwhelmed Townie compared to a smaller game where there are going to be more people trying to put their hands on the game and lead it the way they want.

I did say I'd been tempted to do exactly that, but I meant that as evidence of the phenomenon. I wasn't saying I was going to do that or encouraging others to do it. Just saying it's an easy impulse to understand.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have enjoyed reading the thread. I have decided who is scum, and you should all agree with me. The number one candidate in my mind is...

Epsilon Plus!

He has done literally nothing except pop by to stir the pot in the most milquetoast way possible, without actually contributing substantively with an decisive opinion, and his vote on CapnAndy is carefully couched in language to make sure he can weasel out of it as a jokepost.

Stirring the pot:

Epsilon Plus posted:

false IMO - if I got accused of "white knighting", among other things on Day 1, my immediate response would be to post something like "hmmm yes a compelling case but hast thou considered *farts wetly*"

Epsilon Plus posted:

a followup: why would you need to clarify that you do this when you try to help? would you not do it as scum?

Epsilon Plus posted:

okay let's all sit in meditative silence, we'll off the lowest postcount today, let scum kill someone overnight, and tomorrow we can actually play the game

This all looks like contribution to conversation, but actually what does it add? Not much, except to make it seem like Epsilon is actively doing something constructive, without committing to anything.

Me too!

Amnistar posted:

I think this is a scum post.

##vote CapnAndy

It feels self-conscious and self-aware.

Epsilon Plus posted:

yeah this looks bad lmao

Note the lack of vote here: "this is bad, but if I vote, people might think I'm bandwagoning"

Pisspoor couched vote:

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm going to ##vote CapnAndy but in reality he should be replaced by the mod with one of the backups; this amount of self-inflicted backpatting has surely caused andy to tear several ligaments, taking him out of the season

Just look at this vote. What a bad vote. Really, just terrible and one of the scummiest bandwagon jumps I've seen in at least five years.

Join me, friends, ##Vote Epsilon Plus

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

Epsilon Plus!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Humalong posted:

##vote kashuno

I don’t get it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
##unvote Sci’s recent posting feels a lot better to me.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I have enjoyed reading the thread. I have decided who is scum, and you should all agree with me. The number one candidate in my mind is...

Epsilon Plus!

He was also on my short list. I hesitated about him because his posting also reads as disengaged and waiting for something to happen, which is usually a Town tell early in the game. However, that's more the case for less experienced players as veteran Scum tend to be pretty laidback.

Now that I check Votefinder and see that E+ has played like five million games, I'm more inclined to believe my initial gut reflect to his posting.

Would vote him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Once again finding it hard to case without being accused first. Give me something to sink my teeth into. I promise I will teach you guys how to D1 scum lunch.

Some small reads: merk's post suck D1 for being merk but I can't really talk since I'm just getting started too--just seems low effort until things pick up. Not leaning strongly either way at the moment. I can never read Kash but his posts are not popping out at me, Andy is throwing out some very old school "D1 sucks" argument stuff but I agree in essence with what he's saying (as well as what Jen X is saying too), a few of those EP posts I don't like and would consider that the best case at the moment but until they reply, I don't want to read too much into it. Everybody seems okay to me right now with slightly townie or slightly scummy readings at best/worst.

##vote yuming for early lurking and ending every post so cheery that it's always impossible to tell if they're scum when every post reads like Mr. Rogers. :sun: