Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kashuno posted:

Hum who's scummy to you that isn't KK

I know you didn't ask me, but it's too good an opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kashuno posted:

These suspicions on Dex are extremely bad. Just because 'other players bad too' doesn't mean you shouldn't call out someone who caught your attention and it's weird to imply otherwise.

I hadn't viewed it this way but...I like it a lot. I'm still not feeling great about KK but I'm feeling much worse about xopods than I was before.
Then why are you voting him?????

Kashuno posted:

That’s a really good catch on KK ##vote KK

E+ I see a lot of commentary on right now I’ll try and reread after breakfast and put some thoughts together

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I like the case on KK, the tone merk points out, of him sounding like a mafia dad while not saying anything to actively pursue scum, struck me yesterday too. The Jen X post reminds me of posts I’ve made as scum where I think “poo poo this needs to start saying more.” I’d vote KK.

I don’t really see the case on xopods, I’m getting strong town vibes on xopods, but not particularly scummy vibes from anyone pushing him.

Kloaked seems alright to me, DBD is acting differently IMO than the last time they were town (didn’t love the post of someone saying DBD is like that because I honestly disagree).

I would vote E+, though I don’t think it’s necessarily a slam dunk, but I was also struck by them being around the CapnAndy thing sniping while not actually sticking out their neck.

Kash’s posting also feels pretty white noise-y despite them consistently being around posting

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Pussy Quipped posted:

!!! I’d vote kash too

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

As scum with PQ in that game I can say this is true, PQ so far is being similar.

PQ just made an alright case on kingcobweb though, what did you think of that merk?

I glanced at it and thought that maybe PQ felt compelled to do something after my callout. I will look into it further now.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mikujin posted:

I suppose that's a fair point. Do you know when you investigated PQ and started running him down? If I can find some spare time I might try to do some extra reading. No promises on timeline, though, this afternoon is gonna be a pretty busy one.

Start of day 3 if I remember right. I don't think it's really helpful to put time into another game when there's hundreds tens of pages of content right here.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

WOW do I hate this post.

When someone gets voted, it's not a mystery who voted for them, or who went and made a case. You can go see the votes! You can see who made the first case on them! It's not a unique situation that one or two people laid the groundwork for everyone else to hop on board the bandwagon, that always happens.

What this post seems like it's trying to do is lay the intellectual groundwork for killing town day one, then when the scrutiny goes to xopods after it happens, he can point to this post and go "well hey I made an argument that it was the right thing to do anyway." It's in the genre of "day one is a crapshoot am I right so don't look too closely.

And if xopods is town...what's the purpose of making that post, exactly? Who here needs it explained to them that sometimes townies get lynched on d1 and you should nonetheless continue to play mafia on d2?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

merk posted:

I glanced at it and thought that maybe PQ felt compelled to do something after my callout. I will look into it further now.

Or....I just woke up.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pussy Quipped posted:

Followed by an unvote on Andy. He immediately backed off his vote with only like, 2 posts questioning him. Now, I'm not saying that everyone has to defend their votes to the death and aren't allowed to change their opinions, but the timing of this makes me think its deliberate backpedaling instead of a town player coming to a different conclusion.

This doesn't really jive with what happened in thread:

kingcobweb posted:

CapnAndy not only seems scummy for that post but he wrote the wikipedia article about his own gambit. Cmon man.

I'll contribute more seriously to the game once I've eaten

##vote capnandy
--later--

kingcobweb posted:

This post reads really town, the thought process of going through the case of someone that thinks he's scum and getting mad at it so he votes for the guy seems genuine.

KCW half joke voted Andy and then came off of it in reaction to a post KCW thought looked townie. I'm not sure of KCW's alignment at all, but PQ is misrepresenting what happened.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

kingcobweb posted:

WOW do I hate this post.

When someone gets voted, it's not a mystery who voted for them, or who went and made a case. You can go see the votes! You can see who made the first case on them! It's not a unique situation that one or two people laid the groundwork for everyone else to hop on board the bandwagon, that always happens.

What this post seems like it's trying to do is lay the intellectual groundwork for killing town day one, then when the scrutiny goes to xopods after it happens, he can point to this post and go "well hey I made an argument that it was the right thing to do anyway." It's in the genre of "day one is a crapshoot am I right so don't look too closely.

##vote xopods

I also first thought this xopods post was too on the nose, but it seems kind of on brand for xopods when I thought about it more.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

merk posted:

UPDATE: The Mikujin case is way stronger than the Kloaked case. I see where Kloaked is coming from now that I looked at E+ closer.

Ehh. I don't see it, and I'm fine with Mikujin's posting so far.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
~Catching up thoughts~
<<subtitle: every time I hit preview there are like 3 more posts>>

As I already said, I think Sci is town. I think Andy is town.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

A judgement call feeling good about someone is way different than casing someone for being scummy early on when there's nothing and willfully/ignorantly pointing people in directions you don't really believe if you're town yourself. Actually happy he didn't fake a case to appease a question you posed

Might do my defensive root em out town playstyle again this game but drat sure not calling anybody scummy until I actually ~feel it~
I like this post too. DBD I think is town.

Amni is doing exactly what he did last game, get stuck on an early idea that "scum do this" on Andy. Neutral read.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

##vote yuming for early lurking and ending every post so cheery that it's always impossible to tell if they're scum when every post reads like Mr. Rogers. :sun:
This is a fair call-out, but now I am here. Let's kill scum together. :sun:

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also LIGER is John Cena? ASAP is Diqnol? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Really? Oh, hi guys!

Scientastic posted:

Join me, friends, ##Vote Epsilon Plus
This is the same case I am seeing. Would vote EP.

Mikujin-- Agree that he sounds like he did in Cookfia. Neutral-town.

xopods-- first I was suspicious of him for ~tone reasons~ along with Miku. Now, I've dropped that and I really like the point he (and now others) are making about KK. I don't see whatever has come up in the past few pages. It more reads to me like the long paragraph posts spouting general mafia ~lore~ are contagious and xopods, who loves talking about that kind of thing, is adding more fuel to the fire.

I think the catches on EP and KK are great and I want to see updated reads from both of them.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

merk posted:

This doesn't really jive with what happened in thread:

--later--

KCW half joke voted Andy and then came off of it in reaction to a post KCW thought looked townie. I'm not sure of KCW's alignment at all, but PQ is misrepresenting what happened.

How am I misrepresenting what happened?

quote:

Now, I'm not saying that everyone has to defend their votes to the death and aren't allowed to change their opinions, but the timing of this makes me think its deliberate backpedaling instead of a town player coming to a different conclusion.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

yuming posted:

Amni is doing exactly what he did last game, get stuck on an early idea that "scum do this" on Andy. Neutral read.

I'm guessing you're refering to pantry? Because I definately didn't do it in Xopods game where I was scum...

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mikujin posted:

The posts you are quoting are about 5 hours and 100 posts apart; do you think it unreasonable for someone to change their tune over such a lengthy period? Much of the posting in this interim was specifically revolving around Amni/Andy, so I'm not sure if this particularly criticism is valid.

Someone can definitely change their mind, but KK's thing didn't feel genuine about it. I'm not really sure how to quantify it more intelligently than that. It's a lot of gut based on KK's tone.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pussy Quipped posted:

How am I misrepresenting what happened?

I don't think it jives because KCW's original vote is at least 50% joke, he pursues the joke further by pasting in a wikipedia history screenshot, and then he unvotes when he sees real content.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Amnistar posted:

I'm guessing you're refering to pantry? Because I definately didn't do it in Xopods game where I was scum...
Yes, Cookfia.

My reads of xopods' attitude and Amni's play in general are very influenced by their play in Cookfia. Mikujin too, tbqh.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

zzyzx posted:

Ehh. I don't see it, and I'm fine with Mikujin's posting so far.

I kind of flipped on this too. Kloaked jumping in to discredit my case against him by trying to highlight some hypocrisy and then fading off into nothingland without giving any new read is scummy.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

merk posted:

I don't think it jives because KCW's original vote is at least 50% joke, he pursues the joke further by pasting in a wikipedia history screenshot, and then he unvotes when he sees real content.
Hmm it's almost as if

"Someone can definitely change their mind, but [KCW]'s thing didn't feel genuine about it. "

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pussy Quipped posted:

Hmm it's almost as if

"Someone can definitely change their mind, but [KCW]'s thing didn't feel genuine about it. "

You've phrased it like KCW had a super serious case that he moved off of when he didn't get any traction in thread poking at it. That's not really what happened, even the premise is wrong.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This isn't really a helpful discussion though, so I'm going to drop it.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I'm not linking myself to merk or DBD guys, I was just happy to see merk come down so firmly in favor of a KK lunch, not only because it's the lunch I want too but because I think it's good when the lunch is someone that a few people feel very strongly about.

You can say "well whoever you lunch you can go back and see who voted them and who thought they were Scum." Sure. But very often in my experience, the D1 lunch is someone who was everyone's second or third or fourth choice. And so no, in those cases when it's a compromise, groupthink, consensus kind of lunch, I don't think you get very much information about people based on the flip. Because everyone's going to claim credit if the person flips Scum, and if they flip Town, everyone's going to say "well I really wanted to lunch X, but no one else was excited about that so it seemed like Y was the best we could do."

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
##vote Epsilon Plus

I already said I agree with Sci and Kloaked, but I wanna put this case in my own words as well.

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm going to ##vote CapnAndy but in reality he should be replaced by the mod with one of the backups; this amount of self-inflicted backpatting has surely caused andy to tear several ligaments, taking him out of the season
I don't like this vote because (1) it's easy and (2) ambiguously half-joking. It doesn't read like EP thinks Andy is scum.

Epsilon Plus posted:

I don't think the Captain Andrew's Gambitte Discussion is actually part of any case, I think we just got off-topic for a bit
Epsilon was around and posting during ~serious discussion~ but he didn't meaningfully engage in the content.

He mentions Andy but says nothing useful. This post makes me think, "Why isn't EP analyzing Andy's responses for alignment/or pushing the case against him??"

Epsilon Plus posted:

while I'm definitely not above the occasional filler joke posts, I think describing every single post I've made as filler is a bit much. CapnAndy even agreed with me that some of his wording was non-ideal, and who's going to agree with filler?
This is EP's response to Kloaked's vote. merk mentioned he thinks EP's tone reads genuine here.

For me, I continue to hate Epsilon's perspective: "Andy himself said his wording was poor."

Okay, EP thinks Andy is scum, why is he not digging into Andy for his self-consciousness about his wording instead of using it in defense against his own vote? Eplison's perspective doesn't make sense as town. He isn't reassessing or pushing his opinion on Andy even with plenty of content. EP uses a point about Andy in defense of himself, showing me defending himself is >> greater priority than who EP thinks is scum.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Like, I don't particularly think CapnAndy is Scum, but he wouldn't be a terrible lunch cause that movement's got clear origins in Amni and Sandwolf.

Whereas for instance Liger's someone I could see getting lunched today (and who I think is scummier than Andy) but although a lot of people have talked about him as possibly scummy so far, no one's yet voted him. Hypothetically if we lunched him today, it's much less clear who made it happen. Would it be the first people who mentioned him before? The first to vote him close to deadline? Some inflection point voter who made it him and not someone else?

Probably we'd conclude that "we" lunched him because "we" couldn't agree on someone else who seemed scummier. That's a bad lunch.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pussy Quipped posted:

Or....I just woke up.

only scum ever sleeps

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Dear KK,

Remember the last Harry Potter game? :sparkles:

:h: yuming

re: the case on KK,

I agree with what xopods said about the disconnect between not seeing anything and BAM Gen is scum making the post sounds ~prescriptive~ (and with that word choice, I am an official adopter of the 2020 mafia lexicon. I suppose I have also been using kill instead of the l-word for a while now.)

At present, I would vote KK.

However, I want to see his response. I think the case on EP is better.

Dearest town friends, tell me what you think of EP.

EP, tell me who is scum.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

yuming posted:

EP, tell me who is scum.
KK, same request: who is scum.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

yuming posted:

Dearest town friends, tell me what you think of EP.

Null so far. I know Scientastic didn't, but I thought this post was pretty good, personally.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Pussy Quipped posted:

Because I don't feel great about them? what??

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

Hmm it's almost as if

I had serious reasons to vote for him, but was hungry and couldn't properly understand the thread because I was hungry. By the time I got back to the thread, Andy had made a post that I read as super-townie, so I dropped the vote.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Because I don't feel great about them? what??

Oh I'm stupid. I read it as " Im not feeling great about lunching them"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

I like the case on KK, the tone merk points out, of him sounding like a mafia dad while not saying anything to actively pursue scum, struck me yesterday too. The Jen X post reminds me of posts I’ve made as scum where I think “poo poo this needs to start saying more.” I’d vote KK.

I don’t really see the case on xopods, I’m getting strong town vibes on xopods, but not particularly scummy vibes from anyone pushing him.

Kloaked seems alright to me, DBD is acting differently IMO than the last time they were town (didn’t love the post of someone saying DBD is like that because I honestly disagree).

I would vote E+, though I don’t think it’s necessarily a slam dunk, but I was also struck by them being around the CapnAndy thing sniping while not actually sticking out their neck.

Kash’s posting also feels pretty white noise-y despite them consistently being around posting

I've put forth reads on several people in this game, agreed and disagreed with various cases, engaged people directly. How does it feel white noise-y? Is it because they're shorter posts?

Sandwolf posted:

!!! I’d vote kash too

Sincerely hope this was sarcastic and not that bad a bandwagon

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone. I forgot how quick large games move.

I am glad to see that people have moved on from Andy. I'd be interested to look into how that sprung into being should things go south in later days, but I don't feel it's worth looking into too much right now (mind you this could be completely wrong).

The KK Case - I too do not like the anmi bus, and as others have said, the immediate latching onto Jen is suspicious, as is the "interrogation lamp" bit, as that really feels like he's trying to actively deflect people from looking into him by passing it to someone else.

I am going to ##vote KK for the time being.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I had serious reasons to vote for him, but was hungry and couldn't properly understand the thread because I was hungry. By the time I got back to the thread, Andy had made a post that I read as super-townie, so I dropped the vote.

This doesn't really change my mind, sorry.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just to quickly circle back on Andy: I really don’t like how many people seemed to come in and defend his statements declaring he has no reads D1, would have no reads D1, and how dare you ask him for reads on D1. He provided really weak excuses that a lot of you accepted on what I feel are tonal or meta based reasons.

“Sure he’s flagrantly admitted he won’t try to find scum D1, but he sure seems like he means it.”

It’s a bad defense and I don’t like it going forward.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel really dumb but I don't get the case on E+

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
That was an exhausting read to catch up.

With that in mind, I am going to revise my thoughts from recent games and give lower post-count players a break this D1. I don't think lurking in this D1 landscape is going to line up with scum POV. This game is going to be hard for anyone to get into. Obv I want opinions but I am not going to stick on post counts.

zzyzx posted:

Null so far. I know Scientastic didn't, but I thought this post was pretty good, personally.
This also colors my read of the EP post zzy linked. I actually think leaning too hard on calling out lurkers here is an easy stance for scum to take.

Jose

Which leads me to a post that gave me bad ~vibes~

Jose Valasquez posted:

I generally agree with everyone who says D1 sucks always and if you execute scum you usually got lucky.

Out of everything posted so far Scientastic's posts bug me the most, the out of the gate liger case felt uninspiring and forced but I lean "bad townie d1 case" more than "bad scum d1 case"

bowmore and yuming and ASAPRockySituation should post more
Full of light and easy opinions. In context, this post reminds me of my own scum play in the recent Cookfia game.

There are plenty of topics to get actual reads on. JV is sitting on his vote and not trying to figure things out.

Dex

I also have a slight negative ~feeling~ read on Dex for going after Humalong. I understand wanting to come up with unique content as town, but something about the flippancy of Dex's case fits with what I imagine as scum wanting to contribute something new and safe to the thread.

Players yuming thinks are scummy: Eplison Plus, Jose Valasquez, Dexanth and Khris Khruel

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

This looks like a Town yuming to me.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Kashuno posted:

I feel really dumb but I don't get the case on E+
For me it is mostly reading EP in context that stood out.

I never believed EP thought Andy was scum or that EP cares if he is voting scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I also was pinged by JoseV’s posts yuming but it struck me way more as someone genuinely struggling to get invested in the game, which I imagine will be a theme amongst the new old crowd.