Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scientastic posted:

To be clear, the problem with the last quote is the word "people", I'm not trying to take that quote out of context, here it is in full:

Do you disagree with that? The lurker who shits a vote out on someone is not the same as the person who suddenly makes a case viable or persuasive or productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

Not a single player has come to KK's defense in the slightest. This is a lynch of scum, folks.

themselves included

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't disagree with the sentiment, what I don't like is the "I am making myself personally accountable" coupled with "don't forget all these other people who want to lynch KK"

It's like he knows the alignment of KK, and either doesn't want to make it too obvious that he's bussing, or doesn't want to be held solely responsible for lycnhing town.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

Not a single player has come to KK's defense in the slightest. This is a lynch of scum, folks.

QFT.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

merk posted:

I think the cases against KK are weak

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

People are acting like it's a big gotcha, it's really not

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And xopods is trying to simultaneously act like he's leading the charge and being an aggressive scum hunter AND he's trying to say that the effort is being shared

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok. Make a persuasive xopods case if you want the vote to move.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

merk posted:

Ok. Make a persuasive xopods case if you want the vote to move.

I will have to do so tomorrow, I'm afraid. I am literally off to bed now.

See you tomorrow, muggles!

Remember:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Xopods definitely setting up for lynching KK then lynching merk off the back of whatever the flip is

Yeah no, I'm definitely not voting merk in the near future regardless. Barring night action claims or whatever.

But I feel like he's probably Town cause the case is good... only likely merk Scum scenario is a bus because he felt KK messed up badly enough that I'd end up getting him lunched with or without help. I can't imagine merk joins me in this case if he knows KK is Town, for the reason I said before... he could just say my case is dumb and go off and make his own case and ignore me and it'd be like every other game in history with me and merk in it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I love the archetypes of the four hogwarts houses:

gryffindor: good guys
slytherin: bad guys
hufflepuff: they don’t care
ravenclaw: smart???

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Xopods definitely setting up for lynching KK then lynching merk off the back of whatever the flip is

This is an incredibly scummy post. Possibly the scummiest the entire game thus far.

Xopods incredibly weird 'this is how mafia works!' attitude is weird and this just...really strange mafia parenting I haven't seen in a long time, but in no way has any of their posting indicated they would be interested in merk going after KK. You're trying to set it up like xopods is going for a chain lynch but there's no support to back that up, because the case is not good enough to stand on its own so it needs hypothetical to make xopods sound worse

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

https://twitter.com/tvscarlkinsella/status/762038953721597953?lang=en

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Sandwolf posted:

Grifs: Main Characters
Slyths: Antagonists
Ravenclaw: Plot chraacters.
Hufflepuffs: People to die.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kashuno posted:

You're trying to set it up like xopods is going for a chain lynch but there's no support to back that up, because the case is not good enough to stand on its own so it needs hypothetical to make xopods sound worse
This is whats happening, kashuno nailed it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
KK: lynched
merk: hero

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Hal Incandenza posted:

Liger is John Cena!?

##vote Liger

You know why...
That's what DBD said!

OFFICER LIGER posted:

##vote epsilon plus hang mother fucker
Why do you wanna kill EP? Do you agree with my case?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
What am I missing about KK, they've barely posted

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

merk posted:

I kind of flipped on this too. Kloaked jumping in to discredit my case against him by trying to highlight some hypocrisy and then fading off into nothingland without giving any new read is scummy.

I worked overnight so have been sleeping all day. I don’t necessarily disagree with your case, since I’m voting Absalon for similar reasons, I just was having difficulty understanding what I felt was hypocrisy on your part

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

What am I missing about KK, they've barely posted

He posted plenty up until DBD, me and merk all cased him in rapid succession and the votes started coming in. If you read the three of us you'll see why we all think he's scum... we all focused on different aspects of his history but FWIW I also agree with the points both of them made.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

yuming posted:

EP, tell me who is scum.

hello I just woke up, let me warm up the Posting Engine and bring the Casing Turbine up to speed

going to do a quick re-read of everything I just read, but while I'm here I want to point out something:

yuming posted:

##vote Epsilon Plus

I already said I agree with Sci and Kloaked, but I wanna put this case in my own words as well.

I don't like this vote because (1) it's easy and (2) ambiguously half-joking. It doesn't read like EP thinks Andy is scum.

Epsilon was around and posting during ~serious discussion~ but he didn't meaningfully engage in the content.

He mentions Andy but says nothing useful. This post makes me think, "Why isn't EP analyzing Andy's responses for alignment/or pushing the case against him??"

This is EP's response to Kloaked's vote. merk mentioned he thinks EP's tone reads genuine here.

For me, I continue to hate Epsilon's perspective: "Andy himself said his wording was poor."

Okay, EP thinks Andy is scum, why is he not digging into Andy for his self-consciousness about his wording instead of using it in defense against his own vote? Eplison's perspective doesn't make sense as town. He isn't reassessing or pushing his opinion on Andy even with plenty of content. EP uses a point about Andy in defense of himself, showing me defending himself is >> greater priority than who EP thinks is scum.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

##vote epsilon plus hang mother fucker

yuming, if you think I'm not ~engaging with the content~, does OFFICER LIGER (this will always be all-capsed btw) get a free pass?

also I'd like to note that the three votes on me are from people I've barely (if ever) played with, who maybe don't understand my most excellent Posting Art. still can't believe that Kloaked doesn't think I'm taking a strong stance on CapnAndy after my posts. a post can be funny and jokey and also convey Scumhunter Sentiment. biggest possible lmao from my corner

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

xopods posted:

I'm kinda being guilty of what I just accused KCW of here, but it's what I see as a solid D1 plan for Scum: push really hard on a case you don't think is quite persuasive enough to get others to follow you on it, while less directly fanning the flames on other likely lunches. It's a way of appearing to behave as Town while avoiding accountability.

Like, the best thing that can possibly happen to you as Scum is to build a plausible case on someone that you can push on for as many days as possible without them actually flipping.

I mean I can kind of see this, it's one of the things I don't like that Liger did - he threw some passive attention at Capn Andy right as he was gaining votes without actually saying he was scummy or accusing him. In this case I'm pushing my favored candidate but also addressing the conversations of the day. The more everyone goes on record on various topics the better for everyone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hello I'm back from doing other stuff, sleeping, and then doing my actual job which I'm very lucky to have, and must keep reminding myself of that! Chaff first:

xopods posted:

Probably we'd conclude that "we" lunched him because "we" couldn't agree on someone else who seemed scummier. That's a bad lunch.
Please tell me why you keep saying "lunch", man, it's not a typo, it's consistent. Browser plugin? Inside joke?

Actual important thoughts:

Dexanth posted:

Okay this person has gotten no scrutiny so ##Vote Mr. Humalong
I really, really like this case. It's gotten no traction in the face of the KK thing, but it's a good one and I would've voted it in support if not for KK. Also, this merk post replying to that quote:

merk posted:

Yeah, I saw this too. I thought it was weird Humalong voted Kashuno after me when I made no case. Part of me thought I might be right and that's a scum buddy distancing thinking I might have would up to making a claim, but then I thought I was overthinking it.
This twinged my antenna so hard. If you like the case -- and for all the qualifiers sprinkled all over it, you're saying you do, I don't see any disagreement -- why not vote? And it just swerves so oddly. "I saw this", "I thought it was weird", "Part of me thought", "I might have", "then I thought", "overthinking it".

The KK thing:

I wanted to do a reread for myself, so I checked KK's post history, and... god, look for yourselves. Take away the pre-game and joke stuff and you're left with five votes. Five! And he hasn't posted at all in the last literal 24 hours.

KK's one decently meaty post, the one with the immediate "nothing blew my skirt up/this screams scum" contradiction that drew the votes in the first place, is perhaps defensible. I'd like to see the defense. I'd like to see any KK posts. I think the silence is much more damning.

##vote KK

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Mafia edit: Five posts, not votes.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Please tell me why you keep saying "lunch", man, it's not a typo, it's consistent. Browser plugin? Inside joke?

as a community we've decided that "lynch" has some real unfortunate connotations

also "lunch" enables a lot of puns and good, clean, funny jokes that can also distantly evoke cannibalism, which I'm always down for

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Hello I'm back from doing other stuff, sleeping, and then doing my actual job which I'm very lucky to have, and must keep reminding myself of that! Chaff first:

To avoid the negative connectations associated with Lynch we have adopted other words, lunch, cuddle, execute.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oh that's very fair. I'll try to use other words too.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I'd like to see any KK posts. I think the silence is much more damning.

:irony:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Spoonsy posted:

Hi everyone. I forgot how quick large games move.

I am glad to see that people have moved on from Andy. I'd be interested to look into how that sprung into being should things go south in later days, but I don't feel it's worth looking into too much right now (mind you this could be completely wrong).

The KK Case - I too do not like the anmi bus, and as others have said, the immediate latching onto Jen is suspicious, as is the "interrogation lamp" bit, as that really feels like he's trying to actively deflect people from looking into him by passing it to someone else.

I am going to ##vote KK for the time being.

What's the "amni bus" in reference to?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

I mean I can kind of see this, it's one of the things I don't like that Liger did - he threw some passive attention at Capn Andy right as he was gaining votes without actually saying he was scummy or accusing him. In this case I'm pushing my favored candidate but also addressing the conversations of the day. The more everyone goes on record on various topics the better for everyone.

Can you answer the question I posed to you in my last post? Still curious.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

zzyzx posted:

is that a scumslip?!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Oh that's very fair. I'll try to use other words too.

I think lunch is stupid but it's one fewer letter than "launch" which is only slightly less stupid. I started using "David" as a verb for a bit, as in to "David Lynch" someone, but ultimately decided to just follow the herd.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

zzyzx posted:

Might be my initial post on KK where I said he looked like he was manufacturing questions for Amni to answer/weird scumbros interaction between them.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Might be my initial post on KK where I said he looked like he was manufacturing questions for Amni to answer/weird scumbros interaction between them.

That's not "bussing," though. Nor would be saying you think Amni and Andy are both town.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

xopods is doing a lot of Mafia Dadding, talking about how things are and should be, bringing up The Meta, etc. etc. - it feels a lot like someone setting themselves up to be viewed as the arbiter of discussion for future days, especially when there's so many people who wouldn't have played with him ever or have no real knowledge of his existance

(related: this game has a shitton of creaky old farts that I don't recognize and there's going to be a lot of horseshit clashing about How To Play Mafia from older players vs. newer ones that I'm already preemptively sick of. none of us are good at mafia, no living human being is good at mafia)

xopods also barely interacts with CapnAndy. there's some horseshit about how Andy has a gambit named after him because he's such a ~good player~ or w/e, and then there's this:

xopods posted:

Like, I don't particularly think CapnAndy is Scum, but he wouldn't be a terrible lunch cause that movement's got clear origins in Amni and Sandwolf.

just touching on CapnAndy just enough to not seem like he's been totally blanked, but putting all the responsibility for the lunch on two people. setting up to case Amni or Sandwolf as scum if Andy flips town, setting up to case Amni or Sandwolf as gently, tenderly bussing Andy if Andy flips scum.

that being said I do think there's a real legit case on KK. the posting is low even by D1 standards, and has completely dried up.

since yuming placed a geas on me to say who I think is scum, I definitely think there's scum in the xopods/CapnAndy/Khris Kruel set. possibilities:

A. CapnAndy is scum, xopods and KK are town. xopods has found what he believes to be a more compelling case and it's gained traction; with 27 players it's hard for everyone to consider all possibilities and it's probably better to make a case you believe is strongest.
B. CapnAndy and xopods are both scum and purposefully using the game size to maintain distance.
C. CapnAndy is town with KK, xopods is scum - I've made my statement earlier in this post about how xopods may be posturing/setting up for future game days
D1. KK and xopods are scum. KK has to check out of the game, but doesn't have a strong/interesting enough scum power to be worth getting a replacement for when xopods can get a slam dunk D1 bus and set himself up as being God-Emperor of Mafia.
D2. KK and xopods are scum. xopods has made a strong case on KK, but KK will be back later to refute and post up enough content to stop the momentum. day ends in a no-lunch or traction is built on one of the lesser cases present.
E. KK is scum, xopods and CapnAndy are town. xopods made a good catch and I will owe him my fealty forevermore for disrespecting him

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

also I hate to be the guy who does this because I think it's a lovely way to pad your postcount but: bowmore and ASAPRockySituation are in this game?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

bowmore, at least, suffers from an untreatable affliction: he’s Australian

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Curious about this. Is being busy/lurking/anxious to reply (whatever the reason being of not posting) a town tell? :question:

In only the vaguest sense that I find people who come out of the woodwork when they get accused or voted to be suspicious for two possible reasons: either they are lurking in the thread and not posting (scummy) or they have communications avenues with other people (part of a scum team) who then AIM / SA PM them saying "dude you're getting bandwagoned". The fact that KK hasn't come in to do anything as the bandwagon has grown suggests to me he is more likely to be town, but again it's not a strong read. I'd say returning in quickly after a case is scummy (and one of the first things that made me look at Liger, by the way!) but not being around could have a lot of reasons so it's just a tiny bit townie.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I think "you're not gonna have much to go on D1" is a universally true statement, is the thing. I've been in games that hit scum on D1 too, but it's rare and usually happened by purely random chance. I do not have much faith in D1, I think all the cases today will be bad, and I have not wavered in what I want to do, which is to just let the day play out and then lynch a lurker.

And as for that second question: I don't like how you've been pursuing me, of course, because you've been pursuing me. But if I say "no", I'm condoning your case, if I say "yes" it's OMGUS, and if I say "I'm not sure" then I'm being wishy-washy again and as that's exactly what I'm being cased on in the first place, I've just validated it by repeating the behavior. This feels like a rhetorical trap and I refuse to answer.

Hey, this guy seems really really interested in how other people perceive him. Why weigh your response? Is that a town perspective? I posit that it is the perspective of someone with something to hide.

Amni's post directly after confirms my belief that he is probably town. Amni is the most obvious scum player that I can recall and that post mirrors my gut read.

Merk is just posting aggro baseless bs like he always does and then line-in-the-sanding everybody until he decides he's satisfied with what he's found. I don't feel he's doing so from a place of righteousness, however, but rather see a merk that is throwing poo poo against a wall. "Soul Read"? Later, this weak rear end post:

merk posted:

KK's tone reads pretty scummy. He's acting like town leader in posts but hasn't done anything to really advance discussion.

followed up by a vote and a half-hearted request for people to look back on his dogshit miku case that he opens with "none of these cases are sexy, but..." I truly did not expect to actually be voting merk after joke voting him and then going afk for two days, but here we are.

Next post for more reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

In only the vaguest sense that I find people who come out of the woodwork when they get accused or voted to be suspicious for two possible reasons: either they are lurking in the thread and not posting (scummy) or they have communications avenues with other people (part of a scum team) who then AIM / SA PM them saying "dude you're getting bandwagoned".

I get what you're saying, but I have also been on scum teams where someone is absolutely getting railroaded/heat is headed their way and they don't really answer the calls/warnings/pleadings of their scumbuddies, so all of that stuff could still be very well happening in theory.