Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

Kloaked00 posted:

The missing players made their own individual choices to go missing today. I don’t know that 100% but pretty close to it. I believe PQ didn’t cause that but rather is speaking from personal knowledge of what can happen. We all know that the Harry Potter games have items/item-like game mechanics. This is just one of those

They made a choice to go missing?

PQ - does this jive with whatever info you have on your end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

I do think his xopods case earlier felt forced though as I said

Why do you think it felt forced?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Why do you think it felt forced?

A lot of it was reiterating things that have been said already and so it feels like you felt you had to have some content to appear like you were hunting before you could vote but you could have basically said "I agree with most of the points on xopods" and amounted to the same thing

Also I'm just biased against cases that seem to be founded in "well the person who was the NK said they found so and so suspicious" because I just don't think scum use that as motivation especially early in a huge game like this and it's a crutch scum use as a jumping off point.

You aren't high on my scum list but like I said you've been fairly safe so far and that puts you on the radar.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Spoonsy posted:

You sure are fishing a lot around this, what are you hoping to discover here.

I think if you are patient a lot of this will be answered naturally

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Spoonsy posted:

No, I missed that while looking at the vote count mechanism stuff.

Where did they go?

Spoonsy posted:

This fishing feels ill advised at best and scummy at worst

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You’ve got one player being mysterious and another trying to be a detective on it, both talking about knowing more than they’re saying. It’s annoying. Either share with the class your hunch or stop.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Amnistar posted:

Probably getting killed today, that's fine. I really do recomend looking at Spponsy.

Their play D2:

1.) Intro post bemoaning the lack of any actionable information.
2.) Bitching about me thinking I caught them in a scumslip, but leaving my vote because of 1. Then voting me
3.) Fishing for more information.

Notice what they aren't doing? Scumhunting.

this feels like scum bussing to me. Not likely you die today considering all the xopods talk and that they are vote leader

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Spoonsy posted:

You’ve got one player being mysterious and another trying to be a detective on it, both talking about knowing more than they’re saying. It’s annoying. Either share with the class your hunch or stop.

You ahve 1 player telling the thread "Don't worry they're not dead." And then another player going "Hey, what happened? Huh? What's going on? Tell me about this ability? How does it work!?!?"

And that player is also not posting anything about scum reads and their opening post for the day was to excuse themselves from making scum reads.

I really hope town turns around and looks at you tommorrow.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Kashuno posted:

this feels like scum bussing to me. Not likely you die today considering all the xopods talk and that they are vote leader

I'm 1 vote behind Xopods Kash. Don't pretend like my death isn't possible.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amnistar posted:

I'm 1 vote behind Xopods Kash. Don't pretend like my death isn't possible.

A lot more people have talked about being willing to vote xopods over you, it's not close.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

A lot of it was reiterating things that have been said already and so it feels like you felt you had to have some content to appear like you were hunting before you could vote but you could have basically said "I agree with most of the points on xopods" and amounted to the same thing
I honestly hadn't read the other posts on xopods before I posted mine (at least not the D2 posts), I knew he was under some suspicion but I wanted a clean read. It was the result of a couple hours of digging and taking notes. There's no reason to believe me about that, but it's true!

quote:

Also I'm just biased against cases that seem to be founded in "well the person who was the NK said they found so and so suspicious" because I just don't think scum use that as motivation especially early in a huge game like this and it's a crutch scum use as a jumping off point.
I've done this as scum early because people dismiss it for these reasons. If "they found so and so suspicious" was the only piece of evidence I would agree with you, otherwise Kashuno (suspected by Jen), OFFICER LIGER, and Epsilon (suspected by Scientastic) would be equally likely. It's the suspicious NK combined with what I think is inauthentic posting leading up to the KK launch that convinces me xopods is scum.

Hal Incandenza posted:

You sure are fishing a lot around this, what are you hoping to discover here.

I think if you are patient a lot of this will be answered naturally

Dang it don't post stuff right before me

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Actuall;y wait.

Are you saying you think Spoonsy is scum then? Like...if this is scum bussing I'm throwing spoonsy under the bus and spoonsy and I are scum buds?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

This is pretty much my exact feeling on xopods. I think people casing him today are generally doing so in good faith (maybe Jose is a little suss for feeling like he had to create another whole case on xopods) especially TT, but my read on xopods from yesterday was that he was doing exactly what I have seen him do in town games recently, try to be very vocal and also do some mafia-dadding. I don't think I have seen him be scum on his return so maybe he can engage in the exact same style regardless of alignment, but right now I would not want to vote him.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I would however be happy with ##vote Amnistar

His 3 "cases" earlier today were all very weak, especially the TT one where it looks like he legit got caught responding to something he didn't read and doubled down on trying to spin it, then stuck around for some mechanics chit chat then ducked out. I get the feel of someone who came in to make sure they had some opinions down and then hopped out as soon as the attention turned from them

I just want to highlight these two posts for everyone's future reference.

I know some people are going to hate that I'm saying this... but when you're Scum and there's a very vocal and polarizing Townie, the natural play is to leave them alive, try to encourage their worse reads and discourage their good ones, and buddy up to the people who want to lunch that person.

Then, later in the game, you kill off that person's non-Scum supporters, let the angry mob take them, and probably pretend to defend that person as they're getting lunched so you can play the Voice of Reason after the mob has lost confidence and degenerated into in-fighting.

Now, everyone who thinks I'm Scum is going to be even more convinced I'm Scum for preemptively bringing up this conspiracy theory, because you'll think I'm just doing it to try to talk down said mob later on. But whatever, in my mind at this point it's going to happen eventually. I don't think I'll get lunched today, but I don't think Scum will kill me and I think I'll get lunched eventually. I just want to point this out so that when I do flip, you'll look back and ask yourselves whether that's maybe what Hal's doing here, because I think that might be what he's doing here.

Will this make me unvote Amni? I'm not sure. I have to think about how confident I am in this, cause Hal is correct that I'm just playing like I always do, and Amni is acting scummy. But it does give me serious heebie-jeebies and make me feel like getting off of Amni for now and voting Kashuno. Cause that's how things often go for me... an early gut read turns out to be correct but that person manages to stay my #2 priority through several days while I get sidetracked by other cases (probably egged on by Scum who know I'm easily manipulated due to my ego.)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

The Ultimate WIFOM Post

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

The Ultimate WIFOM Post

This isn't doing anything to mitigate my ~~Bad Feeling~~ about you, Hal.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It doesn't convince me he's not scum but this

xopods posted:

I just want to highlight these two posts for everyone's future reference.

I know some people are going to hate that I'm saying this... but when you're Scum and there's a very vocal and polarizing Townie, the natural play is to leave them alive, try to encourage their worse reads and discourage their good ones, and buddy up to the people who want to lunch that person.

Then, later in the game, you kill off that person's non-Scum supporters, let the angry mob take them, and probably pretend to defend that person as they're getting lunched so you can play the Voice of Reason after the mob has lost confidence and degenerated into in-fighting.
is true.

quote:

... Hal is correct that I'm just playing like I always do...
You've said this a few times, what is a recent game you've played where you've been scum and where you've been town?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I also think PQ is town simply based in the fact that I don’t feel scum would want to relay any extra information to the town if they can help it, even if it’s information that some town may already likely have. And the way he said it doesn’t read as a scum gambit, it reads honest to me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amnistar posted:

Actuall;y wait.

Are you saying you think Spoonsy is scum then? Like...if this is scum bussing I'm throwing spoonsy under the bus and spoonsy and I are scum buds?

yes

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

excellent! pleease maintain that belief when I flip town.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

I also think PQ is town simply based in the fact that I don’t feel scum would want to relay any extra information to the town if they can help it, even if it’s information that some town may already likely have. And the way he said it doesn’t read as a scum gambit, it reads honest to me

On the other hand if I was scum and I had information that I thought might make me look vaguely townie I'd want to share it to look like a helpful townie. Assuming the information is accurate it will become public knowledge on D3 so if you've got that information and you're scum you may as well use it while you can

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amnistar posted:

I don't know if your strat of 'continue to post like scum to convince people I'm town' is gonna work out

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I don't know if your strat of 'continue to post like scum to convince people I'm town' is gonna work out

No strat. I reacted from the heart without reading a post and I'm getting poo poo for it. My 3 big reads I posted, though with jokes simplifying the case to 1 line. Spoonsy, Cap'n Andy and TT are my scum picks.

With spoonsy at the top of the list.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

xopods posted:

This isn't doing anything to mitigate my ~~Bad Feeling~~ about you, Hal.

Sorry, I couldn't help but see you as Wallace Shawn pondering over that post, or the dude with the pipe in your old avatar and it amused me

I don't really think there is a rebuttal I can make to that though, if that is what you are looking for

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

No strat. I reacted from the heart without reading a post and I'm getting poo poo for it. My 3 big reads I posted, though with jokes simplifying the case to 1 line. Spoonsy, Cap'n Andy and TT are my scum picks.

And then Hal threw you a softball asking why you wouldn't go back and review it with some more time to think, and instead of doing that, you said this:

Amnistar posted:

Because I legit find it weird to have someone cased as scum based off 2 posts and then ignore everything else they did following the 2nd of those posts. It feels like they stopped thinking about me as scum when they were collecting quotes.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

For the people who think Epsilon is scum, what is your read of this post?

Epsilon Plus posted:

I want you out of the game just for lovely posts like these tbh

do you know this because you were given a fakeclaim as scum, or

It feels authentic to me. I don't think scum would say this about fakeclaims in this way.

It's not a free pass where I think Epsilon is confirmed town or anything, but it is more compelling to me than the cases against him at this point.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've said this a few times, what is a recent game you've played where you've been scum and where you've been town?

Of the games I've played since I got back, only two have finished and can be discussed.

I was Town in both, so you'd have to go back many years to find a game in which I was Scum.

So, I don't think it's possible to have a Town meta-read on me here, because you'd need a Scumpods counterexample, and in any case, most of the things people are pointing to are just part of my mafia persona, not alignment tells either way. Most of the people who know me well, especially those that played in one or both of those finished games (FF8 and Cookfia) have said that I'm always like this, and they're correct.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

zzyzx posted:

And then Hal threw you a softball asking why you wouldn't go back and review it with some more time to think, and instead of doing that, you said this:

I mean....the phrasing of that makes it clear that you would have found either response to hal's question scummy. "Oh, you backtracked your opinion when pressed." "Oh, you didn't change your opinion".

I think it's a scummy thing, re-reading the post didn't change my view.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Amnistar posted:

How could he maintain the belief that you're bussing Spoonsy if you flip Town?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Amnistar posted:

I could see spoonsy, he's focused on setup all day today and not really talking about scum

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

xopods posted:

How could he maintain the belief that you're bussing Spoonsy if you flip Town?

...don't be obtuse xopods. I am clearly talking about the beleif that Spoonsy is scum.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hal Incandenza posted:

I could see spoonsy, he's focused on setup all day today and not really talking about scum

Because we have two players actively withholding

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Spoonsy posted:

Because we have two players actively withholding

They told us enough for today Spoonsy. They'll be back, it's not 3 janitored deaths.

Does anything else really matter right now? No. But you need to post about SOMETHING so you're gonna ask questions about roles instead of trying to find people that are scummy.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Amnistar posted:

...don't be obtuse xopods. I am clearly talking about the beleif that Spoonsy is scum.

Yeah... This xopods who is suddenly looking to throw shade everywhere is not good

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Jose Valasquez posted:

For the people who think Epsilon is scum, what is your read of this post?

It feels authentic to me. I don't think scum would say this about fakeclaims in this way.

It's not a free pass where I think Epsilon is confirmed town or anything, but it is more compelling to me than the cases against him at this point.

Eh, with this being a Token HP game, it’s strong precedent and clearly stated here that scum all have fake claims, so I don’t think that really has any part in helping my read

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

I mean....the phrasing of that makes it clear that you would have found either response to hal's question scummy. "Oh, you backtracked your opinion when pressed." "Oh, you didn't change your opinion".

I think it's a scummy thing, re-reading the post didn't change my view.

What do you think about Tom's analysis of xopods, aside from his switching targets?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
xopods please stop making me feel weird for defending you

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

Eh, with this being a Token HP game, it’s strong precedent and clearly stated here that scum all have fake claims, so I don’t think that really has any part in helping my read

Right, but scum would know they have fake claims so I don't think they would make that comment. Only a townie who wasn't paying attention wouldn't know that scum have fake claims.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

xopods posted:

Of the games I've played since I got back, only two have finished and can be discussed.

I was Town in both, so you'd have to go back many years to find a game in which I was Scum.

So, I don't think it's possible to have a Town meta-read on me here, because you'd need a Scumpods counterexample, and in any case, most of the things people are pointing to are just part of my mafia persona, not alignment tells either way. Most of the people who know me well, especially those that played in one or both of those finished games (FF8 and Cookfia) have said that I'm always like this, and they're correct.

To be clear, I wouldn't say my game has changed much in the five years I didn't play. But I imagine anyone trying to meta-read me would want more recent examples.

I just looked at my games list in Votefinder and jesus, I barely remember any of the last 20ish games on there. The ones I do remember a little, I remember being Town. Last one I see there that I can definitely remember that I was Scum is Brave Little Toaster which I remember just because it was a super satisfying Scum victory with massive :smuggo: factor. With winvirus as my buddy IIRC and us jointly faking night actions to get the win.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Amnistar posted:

I know what you meant, it was just a weird thing to say. Like, if his belief is that your alignments are connected, he's obviously going to revisit that when you flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My reads on their alignments are not connected. That is why is was scummy for Amni to say