Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst there are probably others, my go to guy for a big famous wrestler that never won the big Championship is Mr. Perfect.

But this is not my question. I was thinking that there must be tonnes of big famous wrestlers that never won any championships. Career jobbers, if you will. Wrestlers that were famous, over, and had long careers etc. but were never booked to win a title.

So who would be the most famous/best wrestler never to win a title?

Hennig held the AWA World title and won it off of Bockwinkel so it wasn't exactly a nothing belt yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when did it become a nothing belt? CWA leaving?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cody was ROH World champ for like six months in 2017, so he’s disqualified from this

Ted DiBiase held top belts but never won a “world” singles title, only top national belts in territory promotions. The highest he ever got was winning a third of All Japan’s Triple Crown before the Triple Crown existed (the NWA United National Championship, so not even the international title or the PWF world belt, lol), unless you want to count Andre giving the WWF belt over to him after the twin Hebner cheat on SNME as an actual reign; he did defend the belt on a house show against Bam Bam a few days later, and wasn’t officially stripped until the next week’s Superstars, so... grey area, really. But I feel like nobody’s ever considered that a real title reign. WWE doesn’t list him on the website under the title holders, which I suppose would be the most official source.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vandar posted:

As far as women go, it still surprises me when I remember that Torrie Wilson never held the women's title.

She wasn't the best in the ring at all (as if that actually matters in the WWE), but she had a seven year long career with the 'E and she was always pushed hard and over as heck.
In that time she had under 100 televised matches total, and only one of them was for the women's title (she lost to Molly Holly on a July 2002 Smackdown in just over two minutes).

She did, however, retire undefeated in the following match types:

Lingerie Match
Egg Nog Match
Valentine's Day Bra & Panties Match
Playboy Evening Gown Tag Match
Playboy Pillow Fight Match
Kimono Match
Cheerleader Tag Match
Wet and Wild Water Contest

Her real curse was going a shocking 1-3 in Paddle on a Pole Spanking Matches.

For the time Torrie was in the company the only people who held the Women's Title were Trish Stratus, Jazz, Molly Holly, Victoria, Gail Kim, Lita, Mickie James, and right at the very end of her tenure, Melina. It wasn't a workrate belt per se, but there was a pretty clear division between (for lack of better terms) Divas and Women Wrestlers.

They'd interact/overlap sometimes, but Torrie was spending a lot more time in mixed tags with whoever she was managing or in matches/feuds with Stacey Kiebler, Dawn Marie, Nidia, Candice Michelle, Ashley, and other people who also never really went got title matches either.

Immediately before Torrie came in the belt was being traded around to people like The Kat and Debra and defended in Snow Bunny and Gravy Bowl and Bra and Panties matches and etc. but from 2002-2007 they kind of sort of kept the women's belt 'serious', if an utter afterthought.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 2, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

when did it become a nothing belt? CWA leaving?

Probably while Lawler was champion. Things were really bad when Hennig won it, but by the time he was gone and PPV bombed it was just a shell of a company.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Giant Gonzales
Hillbilly Jim

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Hacksaw Jim Duggan won the very first Royal Rumble and is a WWE Hall of Famer, yet never won a title in WWE.

Yeah he won the US and TV titles once each in WCW but we don't talk about that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan won the very first Royal Rumble and is a WWE Hall of Famer, yet never won a title in WWE.

somewhere in the afterlife, The Brain is still sideways laughing at Duggan.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dell_Zincht posted:

what, you didn't love his barn-burners against the likes of Fidel Sierra?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I think the Mask stuff might have been a weird accident. Like he would always say stuff like "Its showtime!" but then when you say it while acting like that you've accidently become Jim Carrey.
Does anybody have a link to that embarrassing promo where he appears sitting in the ring throwing playing cards around? Because I'm pretty sure I remember "Somebody stop me" and some bits from The Mask that could not have been accidental.

quote:

And for the record if a big bird is let loose in my office I too "sell for the bird."
I'm a bird guy so that scene is even funnier for me. African crows are way less scary than African Grey parrots.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Her real curse was going a shocking 1-3 in Paddle on a Pole Spanking Matches.

Whose idea was that and why did they do at least four of them?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Maigius posted:

A) Vince Russo.

B) Because it's Vince Russo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

A) Vince Russo.

B) Because it's Vince Russo.

Torrie Wilson didn't join WWE until after WCW folded, so no it wasn't Russo

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Maigius posted:

I want to apologize, she was only in three Paddle on a Pole Spanking matches. I was conflating a fourth one featuring Terri, not Torrie.

As for why, the answer every time appears to be Vince backstage, but in kayfabe:

July 23, 2001 (Raw): (Torrie Wilson d. Trish Stratus) Heel WCW Invader Wilson is mad that Stratus ripped off her clothes during a Bra & Panties tag match at the Invasion PPV, challenges her to a Paddle on a Pole match to prove which company's women are "more dominant". Also possibly to flirt Jeff Hardy over to the WCW side? Wilson retrieves the paddle in 2:26 and spanks Stratus with it.

April 1, 2002 (Raw): (Trish Stratus d. Terri Runnels) Ric Flair is the new co-owner of WWE and the (first) brand split is a week old. Runnels confronts Stratus backstage for having an ego about appearing on the cover of a WWE swimsuit issue and attacks her. Ric Flair tells them both to put on bikinis and since they're acting like children, one of them will get a spanking. Stratus wins in under two minutes, but there is no spanking, because Molly Holly runs in and breaks the paddle over Stratus's head.

October 7, 2002 (Raw): (Trish Stratus d. Stacey Kiebler) Eric Bischoff is now the GM of Raw and doing Raw Roulette. He tells Stratus she will be in another paddle on a pole match. She rolls her eyes, so he spins the wheel again and lands on "Bra & Panties". She's further upset, so he makes it a title match. This is the first time the WWE Universe suggests perhaps this match is undignified for the competitors. Stratus removes Kiebler's hot pants and is declared a winner, and briefly paddles Kielber before Victoria runs in and does an extended beatdown, without the paddle.

February 20, 2003 (Smackdown) (Nidia d. Torrie Wilson) Wilson has been getting courted by both Hugh Hefner and the Girls Gone Wild producers to appear nude in their products. Both Dawn Marie and Nidia are upset at not being given the same opportunity, and attack her on previous Smackdowns. This leads implicitly to a Paddle on a Pole match, which features interference from both Jamie Noble and Dawn Marie, giving Wilson another loss. Noble Smackdown Reporter Funaki saves Wilson from being spanked after the match. The payoff to the angle is that Wilson appears in Playboy, and Dawn Marie fucks her father to death in retaliation.

August 28, 2006 (Raw) (Candace Michelle d. Torrie Wilson) No real set-up for this one either. Wilson looks to have the match won when she goes for a "Stinkface" in the corner and Michelle counters by "biting her in the butt". This takes out Wilson, allowing Michelle to retrieve the paddle and win. In a twist, Michelle reveals she is wearing "SPANK ME" underwear, and the two competitors take turns spanking each other. They then embrace. I believe Wilson and Michelle eventually feud over who gets to appear in Playboy.

So anyway, very little justification for most of the matches other than Vince or someone else backstage believing it to be a good idea. It also shows that even in low-stakes titillation matches, WWE is not afraid to completely ignore stipulations the majority of the time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Julio Cruz posted:

Torrie Wilson didn't join WWE until after WCW folded, so no it wasn't Russo

But she did wrestle in WCW when Russo was booker, including a match against Tygress on an Australian tour billed as a "Down Underwear" match.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Dell_Zincht posted:

How dare you forget about King Duggan

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I stopped watching TNA pretty shortly after Hogan got here, but Sting was cool in TNA from the time between his arrival and Hogan's. The top of the card was like, Sting, Jarrett, Angle, and Christian. Jarrett kinda sucks but the rest made for a decently fun alternative product. Then Hogan showed up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Julio Cruz posted:

Jake Roberts is another one

Yeah, it's really strange that Jake never got ANY title at all in any of his runs in major promotions. He got a few midcard titles in like, Smoky Mountain and Mid-South, but I think the closest he ever got to a recognizable title run was the NWA TV title, and even that was just whatever version they had of it in Georgia at the time.

MorrisBae posted:

How dare you forget about King Duggan
Kinda surprised they missed the opportunity to make Jake Roberts into "King Cobra".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, it's really strange that Jake never got ANY title at all in any of his runs in major promotions. He got a few midcard titles in like, Smoky Mountain and Mid-South, but I think the closest he ever got to a recognizable title run was the NWA TV title, and even that was just whatever version they had of it in Georgia at the time.

Kinda surprised they missed the opportunity to make Jake Roberts into "King Cobra".

Except he did. Georgia and Mid South were major promotions and he held the National Title in Mid South briefly. He held the TV title in Georgia. He didn't win titles in the WWF where titles rarely changed hands and it didn't really make sense for him to be World Champion and there was no real need for him to hold the IC title.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Georgia and Mid-South being minor promotions is WWE revisionist bullshit at it's finest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, Georgia and Mid-South being minor promotions is WWE revisionist bullshit at it's finest.

Yeah, when you held the TV Title in Georgia there was no TV title "higher" than that. It was the TV title. Yes there was one in Mid Atlantic, but it's the same deal, it was their TV title. It'd be no different than holding the TNT title in AEW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, when you held the TV Title in Georgia there was no TV title "higher" than that. It was the TV title. Yes there was one in Mid Atlantic, but it's the same deal, it was their TV title. It'd be no different than holding the TNT title in AEW.

He was also the heavyweight champ in SMW, they may have been regional but it's still the top belt

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was also the heavyweight champ in SMW, they may have been regional but it's still the top belt

Hell, it was outdrawing WCW sometimes

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
What episode/PPV of TNA was the one that the "Sting takes off Sting mask" On? (The RVD one)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Did Scot Hall ever hold aworld title?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Did Scot Hall ever hold aworld title?

He held the USWA World Heavyweight Championship for 28 days if that counts, but WCW/WWF/E? No.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
For a guy who's been around as long as he has, it's super weird that Scott Hall has fewer Royal Rumble appearances than Fake Razor Ramon

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Benne posted:

For a guy who's been around as long as he has, it's super weird that Scott Hall has fewer Royal Rumble appearances than Fake Razor Ramon

Honestly the fact that the nWo were basically booking WCW i'm surprised he didn't get a few World Title runs out of it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how could someone get a world title reign out from under hulk hogan and kevin nash within just a few years? you'd have to be some kind of golden god. like an iceberg to the titanic

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Honestly the fact that the nWo were basically booking WCW i'm surprised he didn't get a few World Title runs out of it

Till Starrcade 97 Hogan was the best choice to have the belt so no room for Hall to have the strap and after that it was pretty clear that Scott's problem with alcohol were so bad that you really couldn't trust him even with a short vanity run

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Till Starrcade 97 Hogan was the best choice to have the belt so no room for Hall to have the strap and after that it was pretty clear that Scott's problem with alcohol were so bad that you really couldn't trust him even with a short vanity run

One of my favorite WCW incompetence stories is they wanted to fire Hall for all the no shows and problems in 2000, but wanted to wait until after a world title match he was in. But before they could fire him he got badly injured so they had to wait 6 months to avoid a lawsuit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't that around the time his (ex?) wife Dana wrote an open letter begging management to stop booking Scott until he could at least get sober?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Thea Vidale claimed in an interview that she was often sexually harassed while working in WWE (as Shelton Benjamin's mom). Did anything ever come of this, or was it ever clarified who this was?

Link: https://www.inquisitr.com/1571041/wwe-news-shelton-benjamins-mom-claims-she-was-sexually-harassed-while-working-in-wwe/

The article's page is ad-crammed and awful, so here are the important quotes:

quote:

I genuinely hated that place. While I was there I was sexually harassed everyday by a perverted middle aged man that didn’t understand what no meant.

It was disgusting, I’ll never forget the day he came into my changing area with his private parts hanging out of his pants. I made up my mind at that point I was done with that company.

It and many other articles online reference an interview with Neal Morgan, which is nowhere to be found.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On some basic level I've always appreciated that thing where like when indie (or WCW or TNA) wrestlers get to WWE and they're like "Woah, its so organized and professional" and then when people from outside the industry get into WWE and they're like "Oh my loving god, its such a toxic incompetent cesspool." It really sums up the wrestling business and its place in society.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Who has it better (not including $money-wise$), real carnies or wrestling carnies?

https://www.urbo.com/content/carnies-reveal-their-lives-not-all-fun-and-games/

I've always said someone should make a movie/series called the Last Carny about Vince McMahon

Carnies: Don't have to pay for travel, arranged for them, No Healthcare, Lots of addicts, Wellness Checks, Dangerous Workplace, Prolly make more than NXT/PC Performers

Wrestlers: Pay for travel (but reimbursed), usually arranged yourself, Lots of addicts, No Healthcare, Wellness Checks, Dangerous Workplace, working for a crazy man

Hirez fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 3, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Putting aside that no one outside wrestling gives Vince a second of thought, I think anyone who tried to do an accurate biopic or something would get sued up the rear end by WWE. They're saving it all for that absurd biopic they release after Vince dies that pains him as such a hero and great man (all leading up to Steph's political run). And the counter is gonna be a 2 part episode of that Vice series, maybe a 30 for 30, and probably another recurring lawsuit gag for John Oliver.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The day after Vince dies, Dave Meltzer's book will be released and he'll disappear forever to a castle made out of gold bricks

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

The day after Vince dies, Dave Meltzer's book will be released and he'll disappear forever to a castle made out of gold bricks

Can it be accessed via gold boat

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In the first episode of Lucha Underground, they show Dario Cueto at Triplemania XXII offering a briefcase full of money to a bunch of the wrestlers on their roster if they'd jump ship to his new promotion. But I went back and watched that Triplemania and that segment was nowhere to be found. Was that a dark segment filmed just for the LU pilot episode, or did that actually air during the live broadcast and was cut out later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kane should have won at WM14, or am I just dumb