Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm thinking it's Myst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

..It wasn't Pyst, was it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One of the Zeddas games?

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/zeddas-horror-tour-series

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
This is a pretty close guess as the gameplay seems similar, but based on youtube videos it's not any of those.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This is an old free indie game. It was top down, pixely, you were some person and there was another person on screen. If you tried moving towards the other person they'd run away from you, and the longer you chased them the faster you'd get, and music would start playing and various particle effects would go off, you'd both start leaving after-images, etc etc, until something caused you to stop the chase (don't remember if it was obstacles or the other person managing to throw you off).

I don't think you could ever catch the other person. If you kept on their trail crazy-long you'd reach them, but nothing would happen.

On the other hand (spoilers if anyone cares), you could just... walk some other direction, and leave the other person behind. I think then after walking enough you'd find some third person who I think doesn't run away? And I guess the game ends there, though I forget what actually happens.

Any ideas?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is an old free indie game. It was top down, pixely, you were some person and there was another person on screen. If you tried moving towards the other person they'd run away from you, and the longer you chased them the faster you'd get, and music would start playing and various particle effects would go off, you'd both start leaving after-images, etc etc, until something caused you to stop the chase (don't remember if it was obstacles or the other person managing to throw you off).

I don't think you could ever catch the other person. If you kept on their trail crazy-long you'd reach them, but nothing would happen.

On the other hand (spoilers if anyone cares), you could just... walk some other direction, and leave the other person behind. I think then after walking enough you'd find some third person who I think doesn't run away? And I guess the game ends there, though I forget what actually happens.

Any ideas?

Reminds me of Passage by Jason Rohrer.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

Reminds me of Passage by Jason Rohrer.

No, it's not very similar at all gameplay-wise. But IIRC it did come out around then.

e: thanks to giving me a more definite timeframe I found it! It's called 'chaser' and apparently it's by someone called Shadestorm that doesn't appear to be active anymore, at least by that name

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 26, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

No, it's not very similar at all gameplay-wise. But IIRC it did come out around then.

e: thanks to giving me a more definite timeframe I found it! It's called 'chaser' and apparently it's by someone called Shadestorm that doesn't appear to be active anymore, at least by that name

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6476.0

https://gamejolt.com/games/chaser/368

Yeah it looks like he went into other fields not long after, it was just a student project at USC.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 26, 2020

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Looking for a Diablo 2 clone, Japanese themed, it had seven classes and four clans, for a total of 28 playable named samurai. They each had a cute little two sentence background in the instruction manual, which is the only part I interacted with much.

vvvvv: Yeah, that! Thanks. These character descriptions are a lot wordier and less charming than I remember.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 27, 2020

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Looking for a Diablo 2 clone, Japanese themed, it had seven classes and four clans, for a total of 28 playable named samurai. They each had a cute little two sentence background in the instruction manual, which is the only part I interacted with much.

Throne of Darkness! God, I haven't played that since the demo came out, I was just thinking about it the other day wondering if it's any good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's not completely terrible for its day. It doesn't stick in my mind like Diablo 2 does (and I've not really had the urge to go replay it), but it wasn't a purchase I regretted back in the day so it must have been alright.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This has been bugging me for a while - there is a game area that I remember, but not which game:

Basically an island with a cove - there's a (paved?) road coming from the other side of the island, and a pretty big tavern by the base of the mountain. And I think there was some secret path from the back of the tavern up the mountain or something? Also, you could travel to other smaller islands (seem to remember by air, but might have been by sea) but I seem to remember it was hard to navigate due to fog.

I think it was a 3D platformer of some kind, but it might have been a RPG too. (It's not Booty Bay from WoW)

edit:

CYBEReris posted:

not so much a game as an application but hopefully close enough

an art program from around the mid 90s that had a stylized UI with drawers and such, lots of wood. IIRC it had a sort of time lapse feature, but I don't remember whether it was accessible to the user or just used for demonstrating example art. this would have been for the mac.

Didn't see if this got answered, maybe it was Kai Power Tools?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 28, 2020

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ymgve posted:

This has been bugging me for a while - there is a game area that I remember, but not which game:

Basically an island with a cove - there's a (paved?) road coming from the other side of the island, and a pretty big tavern by the base of the mountain. And I think there was some secret path from the back of the tavern up the mountain or something? Also, you could travel to other smaller islands (seem to remember by air, but might have been by sea) but I seem to remember it was hard to navigate due to fog.

I think it was a 3D platformer of some kind, but it might have been a RPG too. (It's not Booty Bay from WoW)
Long shot, but is this Outset Island from Wind Waker?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Golbez posted:

Long shot, but is this Outset Island from Wind Waker?

Nah, but I see the similarity. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall it's evening/night in the area, so a bit gloomier atmosphere

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ymgve posted:

Nah, but I see the similarity. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall it's evening/night in the area, so a bit gloomier atmosphere

Is it like a world map or a specific area? For some reason it's making me think of Legend of Legaia

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's been like a decade but to me it looks like one of the old starter areas for D&D Online.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

Didn't see if this got answered, maybe it was Kai Power Tools?

I got an answer, it turned out to be a version of Art Dabbler

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I found the game! It's Tearaway Unfolded, specifically, the Coggage Cove area. The mountain was more a mountain of houses, apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4d94RmhtM&t=549s

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ymgve posted:

Was it either Galleon or Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat. Those are the only two uncommon pirate games from that era I can think of.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think it was Myst, actually (they already found the answer)

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Two old PC games. The first one I remember playing at my Moms job in maybe 1995 or 1996, it was a tile based D&D style RPG where you outfit a party in the starting town. I thought that “dream” was in the name but couldn’t find anything on google. I think right after the town you enter a cave, and then outside the cave you end up fighting some guys on a plain. I always died there.

Second one I probably played in the late 90s or early 2000s, it was a freeware RPG with graphics similar to FF IV, I remember there was some plot point where you could decide to side with the red kingdom or the blue kingdom. I remember it being surprisingly good and deep, but I was also probably like 11.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JackBandit posted:

Second one I probably played in the late 90s or early 2000s, it was a freeware RPG with graphics similar to FF IV, I remember there was some plot point where you could decide to side with the red kingdom or the blue kingdom. I remember it being surprisingly good and deep, but I was also probably like 11.

Ends of the Earth 2

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Ends of the Earth 2

Hm, it looks like that’s it. It looks really bad, haha.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

This has bothered me for years so here goes. I'm looking for an online chatroom/rpg style game from the late 90s, no later than 2001. It was a fantasy theme and the only areas I remember it having were a main city where people could hang out and chat and a wilderness outside where you could fight enemies. You could see other players fighting as clouds of dust. There were several classes with levels of spells. I remember seeing a friend of mine playing it once; I'm all but positive it was on the PC. I think it may have been Java based? It had a very cartoon art style.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Marcade posted:

This has bothered me for years so here goes. I'm looking for an online chatroom/rpg style game from the late 90s, no later than 2001. It was a fantasy theme and the only areas I remember it having were a main city where people could hang out and chat and a wilderness outside where you could fight enemies. You could see other players fighting as clouds of dust. There were several classes with levels of spells. I remember seeing a friend of mine playing it once; I'm all but positive it was on the PC. I think it may have been Java based? It had a very cartoon art style.

The Realm. I put an embarassing amount of time into this game.

Apparently it's... still around?

https://realmserver.com/

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Son of a bitch! That has been bothering me for years, thank you.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Here's a tricky one I don't remember too much of. This was a flip-screen action (?) game for the Commodore 64 with, I think, pretty dark visuals (not necessarily "grim" dark, just "few bright colours" dark). I can't be sure what the overall theme was, although I want to say there was a generic Japanese/"ninja" sort of feel to the entire thing. Li'l me never got very far in this game; not too far to the east/right of the starting point, which might have been in a forest, there was a fortress of some sort I could not get past, while closer to the starting point there was an underground passage with a closed door I never could figure out a way past either.

What I do distinctly recall was an element of verticality – also close to wherever the game started, there was a huge tree several screens tall with a sort of village built among its branches, which likewise were several screens wide. I remember leaping off the topmost platform and falling through several screens containing nothing but thin air, though there notably was no falling damage.

It definitely was not Ninja; from what I remember, this game had considerably cruder graphics.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

MMAgCh posted:

Here's a tricky one I don't remember too much of. This was a flip-screen action (?) game for the Commodore 64 with, I think, pretty dark visuals (not necessarily "grim" dark, just "few bright colours" dark). I can't be sure what the overall theme was, although I want to say there was a generic Japanese/"ninja" sort of feel to the entire thing. Li'l me never got very far in this game; not too far to the east/right of the starting point, which might have been in a forest, there was a fortress of some sort I could not get past, while closer to the starting point there was an underground passage with a closed door I never could figure out a way past either.

What I do distinctly recall was an element of verticality – also close to wherever the game started, there was a huge tree several screens tall with a sort of village built among its branches, which likewise were several screens wide. I remember leaping off the topmost platform and falling through several screens containing nothing but thin air, though there notably was no falling damage.

It definitely was not Ninja; from what I remember, this game had considerably cruder graphics.

Could it be Legend of Kage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4D8u59afs4

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm afraid not – the game I'm trying to think of featured zero scrolling as far as I can recall.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Bruce Lee, maybe? https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/bruce-lee/screenshots

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I sort of have one, but I also sort of doubt that anyone's going to be able to give any insight.

Back in high school I would occasionally play on an online chatroom/game collection, somewhere around 2001 or 2002. The premise of the service was that it was a 'virtual space', sort of the awkward transition between the sort of 'virtual places' of the early internet and later social sites like Second Life. In effect I guess it was sort of a transitional virtual chatroom between programs like The Palace and sites like Club Penguin. In it, you would roam around a castle in faux 3d (think Wolfenstein in a browser window, or maybe the 3d maze windows screensaver) and you could chat in a sidebar or enter various doors into different games. The games included some standard two-player board games like chess, which I played occasionally, but my favorite game was some batshit tactical/strategy game.

I'm a little fuzzy on some of the mechanics of this game, but I believe you were offered a set of cards every turn and you accumulated energy every turn. Every card had an associated energy cost, so you could try to hold out to build up energy for more powerful cards, or you could play lots of little cards. I think at least some of the cards may have also contributed to your energy gain? In addition to this, your character and any creatures or machines you summoned would appear on a tactical grid and could be moved around to attack each other. Different units had different stats including movement speed, health, and attack. Of special note were vehicles, which were cards that could played as equipment for your commander, adding their stats to theirs, or played as independent units. One of the most powerful of these was pretty much literally just Robotnik's hovering escape vehicle from the early Sonic games, granting a ton of movement and some extra health allowing your commander to more effectively play keep-away. Other equipment cards included a personal shield that provided a ton of health, and various weapons that would add to your attack, including a light saber which added a ludicrous amount of damage and made your commander a one-unit army. Creature cards included weird tentacle monsters and mutants as well as a couple of generic killer robots and the aforementioned vehicles (which included a dune buggy, robotnik's hovering pod, and a giant mech). I believe there was also an acidic slime monster that was fairly potent. I'm pretty sure your commander could only have one vehicle at a time, and it would absorb damage first, granting you lots of protection at the cost of losing its extra stats once it was destroyed.

You could focus on kitting your commander out to wade into battle and assassinate the enemy commander, or simply try to drown them in summons, or something in-between, but I believe a lot of it was down to your luck on card draws.

The graphics were all scribbly MSPaint nonsense and clearly either made for the game or stolen from generic icon libraries and modified. The whole thing likely ran on Java. I believe there was some sort of ranking system based on your performance in each game in the larger virtual chatroom castle, complete with tiers you could climb up and possibly icons that could appear next to your name if you were a top-ranked player. I have a vague recollection that it had some incredibly generic name like 'gamescastle2002', but no idea on the specifics. My memory is that the various games and the service itself began to rapidly break down over time with updates to java and browser security, and that it was gone in a couple of years. If that part of my recollection is accurate, this fleeting half-rear end description might be all the memorial something so ephemeral gets, but I'd love to know if anyone could at least put a name to this half-remembered mess.

Edit:

Small twofer! I have refound and then reforgotten the name of this one at least once, so it might be easier to find. Old DOS game, a sidescrolling platformer where you were an Indiana Jones-esque adventurer looking to infiltrate a pyramid. You had to manage a limited supply of spears to kill...I think mummies and bats?...while going through level by level of platforming. There was treasure and extra lives to collect as well, and traps like false floors, crushers, arrow traps, and upright spikes. The game had INCREDIBLY simple graphics (spikes were just a few columns of vertical pixels that were red on the end, the background was black, pyramid tiles were primarily one shade of yellow, your adventure was a goofy-looking stick figure man in a hat), and completely bullshit hitboxes. I believe each level was a single screen with no scrolling. Pharoah masks were one of the big-ticket treasure items. I think it was a sequel, or at least pretended to be part of a series if it wasn't. Just something weird I remembered from my childhood after writing up the above.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 4, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Small twofer! I have refound and then reforgotten the name of this one at least once, so it might be easier to find. Old DOS game, a sidescrolling platformer where you were an Indiana Jones-esque adventurer looking to infiltrate a pyramid. You had to manage a limited supply of spears to kill...I think mummies and bats?...while going through level by level of platforming. There was treasure and extra lives to collect as well, and traps like false floors, crushers, arrow traps, and upright spikes. The game had INCREDIBLY simple graphics (spikes were just a few columns of vertical pixels that were red on the end, the background was black, pyramid tiles were primarily one shade of yellow, your adventure was a goofy-looking stick figure man in a hat), and completely bullshit hitboxes. I believe each level was a single screen with no scrolling. Pharoah masks were one of the big-ticket treasure items. I think it was a sequel, or at least pretended to be part of a series if it wasn't. Just something weird I remembered from my childhood after writing up the above.

Not sure if this is right because I sucked at it, but this sounds like Montezuma's Revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x3Ctidjh44

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Could also be Pharaoh's Tomb.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Wow, those two are...shockingly similar, but the one I played was Pharaoh's Tomb, yeah. Thanks! In hindsight I could have also mentioned the horrible struggle of lining up jumps and the fact that it's probably where I learned the word 'anteroom', but I'm happy to be able to find out what it was regardless.

...and looking it up, it got re-released on...Steam??? Wild.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There was a conceptually similar game that involved being an Indiana Jones look-alike that involved a lot of swinging on vines and that I remember being very greenish-yellow. The game later got an upgraded re-release in power SVGA and the first level was a jungle zone, jump'n'run style. I think the second area was a mine of some sort. I believe the name started with an R. Anyone got an idea? It was pretty fun.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I sort of have one, but I also sort of doubt that anyone's going to be able to give any insight.

Back in high school I would occasionally play on an online chatroom/game collection, somewhere around 2001 or 2002. The premise of the service was that it was a 'virtual space', sort of the awkward transition between the sort of 'virtual places' of the early internet and later social sites like Second Life. In effect I guess it was sort of a transitional virtual chatroom between programs like The Palace and sites like Club Penguin. In it, you would roam around a castle in faux 3d (think Wolfenstein in a browser window, or maybe the 3d maze windows screensaver) and you could chat in a sidebar or enter various doors into different games. The games included some standard two-player board games like chess, which I played occasionally, but my favorite game was some batshit tactical/strategy game.

I'm a little fuzzy on some of the mechanics of this game, but I believe you were offered a set of cards every turn and you accumulated energy every turn. Every card had an associated energy cost, so you could try to hold out to build up energy for more powerful cards, or you could play lots of little cards. I think at least some of the cards may have also contributed to your energy gain? In addition to this, your character and any creatures or machines you summoned would appear on a tactical grid and could be moved around to attack each other. Different units had different stats including movement speed, health, and attack. Of special note were vehicles, which were cards that could played as equipment for your commander, adding their stats to theirs, or played as independent units. One of the most powerful of these was pretty much literally just Robotnik's hovering escape vehicle from the early Sonic games, granting a ton of movement and some extra health allowing your commander to more effectively play keep-away. Other equipment cards included a personal shield that provided a ton of health, and various weapons that would add to your attack, including a light saber which added a ludicrous amount of damage and made your commander a one-unit army. Creature cards included weird tentacle monsters and mutants as well as a couple of generic killer robots and the aforementioned vehicles (which included a dune buggy, robotnik's hovering pod, and a giant mech). I believe there was also an acidic slime monster that was fairly potent. I'm pretty sure your commander could only have one vehicle at a time, and it would absorb damage first, granting you lots of protection at the cost of losing its extra stats once it was destroyed.

You could focus on kitting your commander out to wade into battle and assassinate the enemy commander, or simply try to drown them in summons, or something in-between, but I believe a lot of it was down to your luck on card draws.

The graphics were all scribbly MSPaint nonsense and clearly either made for the game or stolen from generic icon libraries and modified. The whole thing likely ran on Java. I believe there was some sort of ranking system based on your performance in each game in the larger virtual chatroom castle, complete with tiers you could climb up and possibly icons that could appear next to your name if you were a top-ranked player. I have a vague recollection that it had some incredibly generic name like 'gamescastle2002', but no idea on the specifics. My memory is that the various games and the service itself began to rapidly break down over time with updates to java and browser security, and that it was gone in a couple of years. If that part of my recollection is accurate, this fleeting half-rear end description might be all the memorial something so ephemeral gets, but I'd love to know if anyone could at least put a name to this half-remembered mess.

Jagex Games Castle/Pyramid was the online service and Cyber Wars was the game. I used to play it a lot around that time! Maybe we played against each other. I seem to remember it being the first and last time I was competitive in a multiplayer strategy game

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

...and looking it up, it got re-released on...Steam??? Wild.

If you want to play it, the whole series was declared freeware by the publisher many years ago. Searching for "tombfree.zip" will find it. It's really not that bad as far as early 90s PC platformers go.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Dip Viscous posted:

Could also be Pharaoh's Tomb.

I hate this loving game with a passion but I sunk SO MANY HOURS into it

Same with the California Raisins

and the muppet carnival game

don't judge me

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The reason that game was so fresh in my mind is that six months ago a did a complete flatten + reinstall on my PC and before I installed Windows 10 I decided to try installing DOS to see what would happen and it worked for some reason. So I played through Pharaoh's Tomb and Paganitzu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

For some reason this makes me think of two games. The first is a somewhat obscure adventure game called Below The Root. The other is Karateka. Probably both wrong, but what you describe sounds like a mashup of the two.

EDIT: Oh God, you aren't talking about Shadow of the Beast, are you? Don't do that to yourself.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 4, 2020