Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Again, merk is manipulating the narrative here to present me in a certain light that suits his ends. He is not being honest and presenting his arguments around what I have said and its context, but trying to warp reality to present what he thinks is his best defence, which is to attack me with every rhetorical tool he has, regardless of whether it is actually real or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Mods can we have a double lunch today please

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Humalong posted:

Mods can we have a double lunch today please

I am in a conference call, so I can't shop merk into this

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Town merk is too good at scum hunting. It's a curse, really

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I like the Sal vote. In my experience he lurks more as scum and he popped in to defend himself pretty quickly once mentioned

Maigius is weird but also the play is just awful scum play and didn't he already coast to a scum victory as a newbie?

Spoonsy hasn't really contributed all that much today. Id think he'd want to come in and relieve the pressure but instead he looks like he's hoping to slide by on everyone forgetting about the existence of d1. If he is scum though it's on an unconfirmed second team because he would've gone down over steak I'd think

I do not like how CapnAndy is trying to insert himself as a town leader and directing others on how to use their actions. I would prefer if Spoonsy indicated who he wants to vote for and then we can test his power instead

Xopods types a lot of words. Normally it's pretty townie because effort but something feels off. Gut read

DGM came across townie on d1 but today his vote on Maigius looks kinda scummy like it would have been unnoticed in a scum slip bandwagon but no one really piled on

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

Squiggly posted:

This is a true statement.

Also I'm still willing to lunch Maigius and yes, Andy, I will echo your vote if you really want me to

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

xopods posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to resist the urge to criticize you for making voting decisions based on out-of-game sentiment again, but if you could at least make it clear when that's what you're doing, it'd go a long way towards not getting cased for having defended Scum that way later on.

I'm shocked this how you feel. This is my shocked face.

xopods posted:

It does bring me back to a question that I wanted to ask D1 though, which is why you're okay with coming down so hard on Maigius this game - even from D1 - when in Bastard you said you defended Angelwolf (on D2) because you felt bad for them getting cased so hard. Is it just that Maigius seems to be taking it better than Angelwolf?

Because in this game I feel like Maigius is actively being scummy whereas with Angelwolf I didn't feel the same and I felt like he was getting dog piled on. Maigius doesn't have that same thing going on. Plus the stuff with Angelwolf happened towards the end of the day where they didn't have much time to defend themselves. The situations are totally different.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Scientastic posted:

I think this post from merk basically sums up what I am trying to say. I agree wholeheartedly with merk, that if he thinks someone is town, he will defend them. What I see, and what I hope everyone else sees, is that that is not what he did.

He barely mentioned that he thought Steak was town, he said a lot of stuff about how you couldn't really draw an alignment call from Steak's scummy posting, because that's just how he is.

Merk is trying to rewrite history here and present his D1 posting as an honest mistake of thinking Steak was town and defending him. What he actually did was say that he shouldn't be executed, not that he was town.

:magemage:

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Lots of options open for me here because lots of people doing scummy poo poo. I think that's all my thoughts. No major town reads right now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I see what you’re trying to do here, but in my post I point out that merk barely did what he says he did, which is vociferously defending him, and then characterise that as not actually defending Steak properly but doing something else.

Gotcha, I guess?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Scientastic posted:

I see what you’re trying to do here, but in my post I point out that merk barely did what he says he did, which is vociferously defending him, and then characterise that as not actually defending Steak properly but doing something else.

Gotcha, I guess?

The context Scientastic is purposely ignoring is that I barely did anything yesterday.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squiggly posted:

I this saying that merk is scum or town? I might be being dense, but I can’t tell.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

merk posted:

The context Scientastic is purposely ignoring is that I barely did anything yesterday.

Wait, what? You claim you “strongly” did something:

merk posted:

I strongly advocated that Steak was town.

You barely did anything and what you did do was try to move the thread away from a Steak lynch for bad reasons.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This misrepresentation is loving surreal. In the small amount of anything yesterday, I strongly defended Steak.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I was kind of blustering before, but I really won't unvote Scientastic ever now.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Scientastic posted:

I this saying that merk is scum or town? I might be being dense, but I can’t tell.

He looks scummy because he hadn't come up with a rock solid case yet. I think there are more egregious scummy things than a meta case currently

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Scientastic posted:

Gotcha, I guess?

I think your own words did not say that even if it's what you meant

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

merk posted:

This misrepresentation is loving surreal. In the small amount of anything yesterday, I strongly defended Steak.

This is just nonsensical, there is nothing in your D1 posting that can possibly be accurately characterised as “strongly defending” Steak. You argued against him being lynched, which is not the same as defending him, for bad reasons, and barely actually commented on his alignment.

And when did, your post was equivocating about how he was using self meta.

I guess my analysis here has evolved. At first, my case against merk was that he tried to move us off Steak and cast doubt on Tom Tucker’s case.

Since then, he tried to bluster his way past my case with a mea culpa to look town, but inadvertently overstated his defence of Steak in his attempts to show how townie he was.

This backfired horrendously and his only defence now is to try to make me look bad for pointing out these discrepancies in his story.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I know my last second vote change to Spoonsy was a bit weird, but I had lost track of the vote count. Shortly afterwards Spoonsy did the vote echo thing that still feels weird to me, so I didn't switch back. I claim was in a moment of brain fart, where I thought it was a good idea. Looking back, I don't know why I did it. Currently, merk is pinging as scum right now.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Scientastic posted:

This is just nonsensical, there is nothing in your D1 posting that can possibly be accurately characterised as “strongly defending” Steak. You argued against him being lynched, which is not the same as defending him, for bad reasons, and barely actually commented on his alignment.

I find this wrong and disingenuous. He very clearly said he thought steak was town due to meta

You're making a semantics argument and it's bad

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No, he absolutely did not. That may be what it looks like on the surface, but what he actually did was say that you shouldn’t make an alignment call from Steak’s posting. That’s not the same thing, and it’s mega loving scummy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

He tried to stop Steak being executed, but stopped short of making any serious effort to say he was town.

It’s scummy because he gives himself plenty of wiggle room around Steak’a alignment while also advocating against executing his scum buddy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

xopods posted:

Either way the flavor doesn't change much. Either Maigius is lying and is an item-retriever himself, or he's the counter to that role, but both of them visited the same target since there was nowhere else for them to have gone.
Agh, you're so close to seeing it! If Maigius is telling the truth about everything, then he's built specifically to counter a single role, he and the role he counters interacted, and the role he's meant to counter... countered him instead. Following the chain of his logic all the way to the end leads to a blatant contradiction.

And I'm going to keep harping on this because it's utterly damning:

Maigius posted:

Like I said my role is interesting. We do know for sure that someone took PQ's tech items though.
If he's telling the truth, how does he know PQ's items were gone? And why does he seem to think it's public knowledge when all the rest of us saw was a disturbed grave?

Spoonsy posted:

This is a true statement.

Also I'm still willing to lunch Maigius and yes, Andy, I will echo your vote if you really want me to
Pretty please, yes. I would also appreciate answers to my questions.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squiggly posted:

He very clearly said he thought steak was town due to meta

I think I've got all his posts where he explicitly talks about Steak. I've ignored him casting shade at Tom Tucker's case, because there's not alignment comment in any of those posts, just negatives about Tom's case. If I've missed any, let me know.

Let's see how townie merk thought he was, compared to how you just couldn't possibly make an alignment call. Bolding mine.

merk posted:

You’ve played enough games with Steak to know that Steak posts ridiculously and scummy as any alignment on d1. I don’t understand how you can find that case compelling.

Nope

merk posted:

Mr. Steak posted:

but anyway, trying to figure out my alignment from *tone* of all things.... i just feel like sandwolf should know better. for half of this game, probably not cuz theres a lot of people i haven't played with much (including you tbh, tho u skirt the edge), but sandwolf has played with me more than enough to know that. and i mean, he's certainly leaning into that fact by talking about his familiarity with me and how i'm posting "different". but i'd be surprised if that's his genuinely held view, since that's a lofty claim he's making. the ability to notice my posting being different based on alignment is something many others have tried and failed to do
Ha, yes. Exactly.

Nope

merk posted:

I think this is steaks town game for what it’s worth. That post I just quoted sounds like genuine scum hunting from him even though it’s clouded in a self provided meta defense.

OK, but not exactly mega vociferous

merk posted:

Mafia dad moment: There are people you won’t catch as scum by any early game tells. You have to look at voting patterns, claims, and cases.

I think many people in this game fall into that bucket, Steak being one in my experience.

Nope

merk posted:

Steak dying is a net positive to town regardless of alignment. I’ll agree there.

What is the spoonsy case? If someone made one please link if you know where it is.

Nope

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I did think it was odd how merk agreed with my pq “case” so strongly. My cases usually suck and that one was no different. I’m not sure if he’s scum though. Tbh I’ve only skimmed the posts between sci and merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

b-minus1 posted:

I did think it was odd how merk agreed with my pq “case” so strongly. My cases usually suck and that one was no different. I’m not sure if he’s scum though. Tbh I’ve only skimmed the posts between sci and merk

I thought it was odd that you made such a good case. It, and I'm not exaggerating here, the best case I've ever seen from you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Scientastic has dug himself into a misrepresentation hole that he cannot get out of no matter how many times he hits the "Submit Reply" button. This is caught scum. Let's move on with this lynch.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

merk posted:

You’ve played enough games with Steak to know that Steak posts ridiculously and scummy as any alignment on d1. I don’t understand how you can find that case compelling.

Defense of steak

merk posted:

I think this is steaks town game for what it’s worth. That post I just quoted sounds like genuine scum hunting from him even though it’s clouded in a self provided meta defense.

Calls him town

This is a dumb argument you're making man. Was it merk super defending him? No. But you're trying to make this look like a 9/10 and really it's like a 1/10

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

merk posted:

Scientastic has dug himself into a misrepresentation hole that he cannot get out of no matter how many times he hits the "Submit Reply" button. This is caught scum. Let's move on with this lynch.

This is a scum merk move though

Are you guys both scum bussing here or what

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Agh, you're so close to seeing it! If Maigius is telling the truth about everything, then he's built specifically to counter a single role, he and the role he counters interacted, and the role he's meant to counter... countered him instead. Following the chain of his logic all the way to the end leads to a blatant contradiction.

And I'm going to keep harping on this because it's utterly damning:
If he's telling the truth, how does he know PQ's items were gone? And why does he seem to think it's public knowledge when all the rest of us saw was a disturbed grave?

Yeah, I missed the bit where he said "for sure" the items are missing. That's pretty weird.

It'd be one thing to assume that they were missing because of the disturbed grave flavor or because he infers the existence of the other role and assumes (or got clarification from the mods) that his action comes after the item-getter's or something. But you're right that he shouldn't be so certain of that unless he got the item himself, in which case he's lying.

##vote Maigius

But I also want to see Spoonsy do the thing you asked him to do with his power, for all the reasons I said before.

I'll have to take a closer look at this merk/Sci fight later too but this is a kinda hellish day so I don't know if I'll have time this evening. Good thing deadline's tomorrow anyway.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, sorry, I thought my cherrypicking of your words was my answer.

Self preservation, realization that neither of my preferred lunch options were going to be picked on end of day, and a bit of "look at me! I'm important" by showing that I had a power (which of course I went and misspelled while doing so).

Basically, my fear was that in the end of day rush to avoid a no lunch, I would be chosen. So I figured why not simultaneously move two votes to the other guy while also demonstrating I could do something. Of course, accidentally typing steal instead of steak did not help my case at all, but thankfully there was mod clarification since we all know me editing would kill me on the spot.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Y'know what, let's kill two birds with one stone.

##vote maigius

##echo

(I just pinged the mods on Discord, they're both idle at the moment, this may take a second to work)

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Is there a reason we can't have spoonsy declare who he wants to vote and then test it artificially instead of forcing him to vote for someone else's lynch choice

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
MOOT POINT I GUESS

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Squiggly posted:

Is there a reason we can't have spoonsy declare who he wants to vote and then test it artificially instead of forcing him to vote for someone else's lynch choice

I've actually been cool with lunching maigius since yesterday

Spoonsy posted:

So remember when I was dumb this morning about someone wondering about multiple scum groups (which I still think merits discussion) and a fake N0 cop? (Yes I know my bad)

This is even dumber!

##vote Maigus

His actions today don't change my mind at all

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

I don't understand this vote at all. What is "out of character" in me defending Steak from my town game? If I think someone is town, I will defend them from lynch.

This vote feels fake. It doesn't make sense. You think you can get me lynched today and are trying to do it.

still catching up but this is mad OMGUS-y

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

merk posted:

I’ll even ##vote Sandwolf

These obviously stuck out to me but I took this as merk trying to pressure me off Steak extremely hardly. The kind of pressure a scumbuddy applies, with non concrete evidence, so after the fact he could say “ey, guess I was wrong!” Which is what he’s done.

We should absolutely be lunching Maigius today though. No doubt.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Squiggly posted:

This is a scum merk move though

Are you guys both scum bussing here or what

My galaxy brain had a similar thought.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Please note Andy's vote has been moved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Spoonsy posted:

Please note Andy's vote has been moved
So it has.

## vote b- it worked super well for me last time!!!!