Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I woke up late this morning, so you're not getting BedPostingTM: instead, it's straight into computer posts while I am supposed to be listening to corporate.

Happy to summarise the case against me as I see it (which is probably not that useful, but I will try to be objective):

Merk disagreed with my characterisation of his defending Steak as scummy and said I was fake for saying it was out of character for him to defend Steak in the way that he did

He used (I would say misrepresented) the argument I used against him to vote for me

As my case evolved as he posted more content to analyse, he accused me of moving the goalposts

He selectively quoted some posts from me, out of order, to make it look like my point of view was internally inconsistent

I think that's it, but as I say, I am not a reliable narrator of the case against me, because I know it's horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How anyone can possibly read merk's behaviour today and not think he's scum, I don't know.

This is not town merk play.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because I'm feeling generous, I'm going to go ahead and summarise my initial case against merk, before all of the subsequent behaviour.

Merk's posting around Steak just looks bad

I feel that merk's posting around Steak is out of character, for reasons which I didn't really articulate properly at the time

Merk's claim that he "strongly advocated" that Steak was town is not accurate: what merk did was stronly advocate against making an alignment call on Steak, which is not the same thing. He ONCE said Steak was playing his town game, but even that post was equivocal, saying that Steak appeared to be doing genuine scumhunting, but that it had some self-meta defence in there. No-one can possibly read merk's D1 posts around Steak and say that he was "strongly advocating" that Steak was TOWN. What he did was advocate that Steak shouldn't be lynched, while going out of his way to avoid a concrete statement that Steak was definitely town for good reasons.

I think what happened was that I called merk out, and he realised he had to say something: he hoped that he could say "I defended Steak, my bad, it happens, let's move on", but he overegged it, and when I called this out, he thought that the best way to get out of it was to discredit me.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Scientastic posted:

How anyone can possibly read merk's behaviour today and not think he's scum, I don't know.

This is not town merk play.

Have you considered that you're really tunneling here?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Voodoofly posted:

I don't think merk was trying to softpeddle his defense of steak, it was pretty blatant and about the only thing he did on Day 1.

This is what merk wants people to think my case is, but it's not: my case is that he defended Steak and tried to stop him being executed, BUT that he did so without making serious alignment calls. Read his posts defending Steak: he only actually calls him town once, and even that is wooly. The rest of the time he goes with the "Steak posts like this, we can't make an alignment call". That is not that same as saying he's town and we shouldn't execute him, and gives him a very easy out when Steak later flips scum.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DGK2000 posted:

Have you considered that you're really tunneling here?

Yep, I am aware of it: I am just posting my views on posts as I read them, I am pretty much done on merk and hopefully I can move on to other people.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's also harder for me to gauge other players, simply because my interaction with merk, and his subsequent behaviour, is a large part of what has happened so far today

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am about to have a call that I actually need to pay attention to: who should I look at and why?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

This seems like the Merk I'm used to in big games, so I don't think it's particularly damning. I think that merk even slightly defending someone on D1 is strong for him, and I don't get why you've got such a hardon about it. And to your last point, merk is a jerk so

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Scientastic posted:

I am about to have a call that I actually need to pay attention to: who should I look at and why?

Andy, because of this case right here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3922476&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post505403004

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can absolutely see it. Voodoo makes some good points, reading Andy's posts it feel like he's sort of testing the waters on whether he can push Spoonsy.

Prefer my vote on merk OBVIOUSLY, but based on this, I will try and properly read Andy today.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And I agree with Voodoo, Andy isn't scumhunting.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i like my point on andy not testing all of spoonsy's claim because it makes the whole thing seem a) performative and b) i like it really because i made it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CapnAndy posted:

This is bad logic in several ways. First off, since as you say people have been putting forth alternate candidates all day, that means one of two things -- either most people don't like the spoonsy case, or everyone who's proposed another target (which again, as you've said, is a lot of people!) are all scum. I think the former is a lot more likely.

As for the votes plateauing, are you seriously arguing that there's no possible scum behavior than to find a likely townie and all pile on to the bandwagon right in the middle of it, when there's plenty of time for the town to notice that behavior and pull their votes? When they can just hold on to their votes for another two hours so they can then pile on in a blameless bandwagon because any execution is better than a no-vote?

I haven't liked your defenses before now, and there's a level of desperation in this one that I really don't like. You're frantic to save yourself and want spoonsy to get some more votes so he looks inevitable. I know that town will try to save themselves too, but I think town also have a level of fatalism about it, because if nothing else, they'll be vindicated by the flip. I'm not seeing that in you.

##vote steak

And this is a bus. At this point, Steak has 4 votes, and looks like a potential execution candidate. Andy is the 5th vote, and doesn't want to just say "yeah, me too" so generates this post focusing on a single Steak post that he calls out as scummy.

What I find interesting is the phrase "I haven't liked your defenses before now", but this is literally the first post in which Andy casts any aspersions about Steak's alignment. AND, I find the equivocation quite telling, where in the instant of saying that he sees self-preservation as Steak's motivator, he gives himself an out saying that town players also do that, so that if he needs to back out of the vote, he can.

Would vote Andy too, thanks DGK.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

There are good reasons to vote merk rn and these aren't them, but this helped me wrt you and seeing it from your pov. Your interaction with DGK makes me feel better about you fwiw

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

This is something I had open last night before I passed out and wanted to look into. Face value I liked it & going to try to read before I start work

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

cheese sandwich posted:

There are good reasons to vote merk rn and these aren't them, but this helped me wrt you and seeing it from your pov. Your interaction with DGK makes me feel better about you fwiw

I kind of agree, I just wanted to sum up my thoughts yesterday because some players seem to want not to read pages of back and forth. I find merk's reaction to the case extremely strange and non-town, and his interactions around Maigius' claim are suspect as well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

I kind of agree, I just wanted to sum up my thoughts yesterday because some players seem to want not to read pages of back and forth. I find merk's reaction to the case extremely strange and non-town, and his interactions around Maigius' claim are suspect as well.

To clarify, I agree that there are other good reasons not to vote merk, not that these aren't good reasons in and of themselves.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

merk (8): Scientastic, xopods, Squiggly, hambeet, Jose Valasquez, Sub Rosa, b-minus1, Nep-Nep, Sandwolf, Nep-Nep
Maigius (5): CapnAndy, CapnAndy, LordNad, Sandwolf, DGK2000, dmboogie, xopods, CapnAndy, xopods, Spoonsy, b-minus1, b-minus1, Sandwolf
Scientastic (2): merk, merk, merk, Nep-Nep
CapnAndy (1): Voodoofly
Sandwolf (0): merk, merk
SalTheBard (0): Scientastic, Scientastic
b-minus1 (0): CapnAndy, CapnAndy
Spoonsy (0): xopods, xopods
Nep-Nep (0): Scientastic, Scientastic

Not Voting (6): CapitalistPig, cheese sandwich, Maigius, MisterJed, Mr. Humalong, SalTheBard

With 22 alive, it's 12 votes to execute. The current deadline is June 04th, 2020 at 6 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 9 hours, 42 minutes.

Days will be 48 hours, nights are 24 hours.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

I tried to put you in my masonry cheese but it failed.

Do people read this as a serious claim of being a mason recruiter? I thought it was a joke between cheese and pig on D1 but can't tell if this is still a joke or an actual role claim.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i took it to be a joke, personally.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

in line with pigs d1 posting

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

hambeet posted:

in line with pigs d1 posting

D1?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

Do people read this as a serious claim of being a mason recruiter? I thought it was a joke between cheese and pig on D1 but can't tell if this is still a joke or an actual role claim.

A serious claim would require cpig to do something of value in this game, so it is definitely a joke

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Sub Rosa posted:

FWIW I took it as a serious claim of a mason recruiter that failed to recruit

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

A serious claim would require cpig to do something of value in this game, so it is definitely a joke

Rekt

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Now that I’ve cooled off, I can look for scum again. Sleeping on the Sandwolf case made me think it is not all that great. I still feel good about scientastic.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

I had hopes that he was serious but now I'm just mad at the tease

Objectively probably in line with his d1 as others have said

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Mostly reiterating what's been said already, but Maigius has an interesting role that isn't very useful to the town. He buried PQ and his stuff so that nobody could take it but then someone took it anyway. Also he can tell who takes the stuff for some reason, which seems very useful to the town!

He hasn't done any scum hunting this game and he had a sketchy vote change near the deadline.

I'm fully down with a Maigius launch too

Imo after thinking & sleeping on it idk if we can really say whether his role is inherently scummy or not without knowing more about the setup and whether access to flipped players or knowledge about who has that access benefits scum more or less than town

I probably said something similar last night but rn I'm still pretty neutral on the role and leaning town on him for how he's played it

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Looking at Steaks posting he does a bit of dancing around CapnAndy that pinged me a bit

Shading voodoo for posting about Andy;

Mr. Steak@Voodoofly posted:

dude, what are you even trying to get at here? you think andy is legit scum and so is pq...?

Mr. Steak posted:

LordNad posted:

The whole CapnAndy debacle is giving me strong deja vu from Good Place D1.

Scientastic, Pussy Quipped, CapitalistPig, Sub Rosa

Bet one of them is scum for sure.

##unvote
hey, not to completely spam about this, but i'd add voodoofly to that list for shading andy, even if he never dropped a vote

towncalling Sci for dragging Andy, there were a few subsequent town calls on Sci from Steak

Mr. Steak posted:

Scientastic posted:

Who’s backpedaling? I still think CapnAndy’s post was scummy, I just think that other posts that were provoked by the interaction are scummier. I’m glad to say my views can evolve and that I am capable of viewing multiple players on a spectrum of scumminess. I think you’re reaching a bit here.
lol good to know you're town this game

Mr. Steak@Andy posted:

thats a surprising amount of words for such a nothing vote-reason. u just trying to plump up your vote post so it looks serious?

Just from these interactions & my gut one of Sci & Andy is probably scum. Leaning towards the latter atm

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

cheese sandwich posted:

Just from these interactions & my gut one of Sci & Andy is probably scum. Leaning towards the latter atm

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about how Steak's flip affects the Sci/Andy fight. You do have a point that calling everyone Town who voted for Andy, without voting Andy himself seems like the sort of clumsy plan Steak would come up with if he were Scum with Andy.

Thing is though, in all other regards I find Sci way scummier than Andy... the effort he's putting into the merk case seems particularly weird today given how likely a merk lunch looks already. I think someone suggested that this whole fight has been merk and Sci hard bussing each other, and that's really what it looks like to me.

Andy's been mostly alright, except for playing Sci's probably-not-joking case off as if it was a joke from the start.

I do agree that Sci's probably not on Steak's team, but in this game that doesn't necessarily mean Sci isn't scum. Two kills, two Town factions at least one of which matches a Scum faction, etc. looks like two Scum teams to me.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

with how the rest of the day's gone I still think merk is objectively the better lunch for info, I don't really have much to add. Other scum reads I'll probably look harder at tomorrow: xopods, Andy, maybe Sci? I've been feeling a little better on Sci. I really want to spend more time looking at Andy but I've spent the last hour and a bit not working and that's going to bite me.

I also want to look closer at the votes on Maigius tomorrow when I have more time because a lot of those votes felt lazy and opportunistic

##vote merk

work time. I'll still be at work for deadline but I'll be in and out during the day

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

cheese sandwich posted:

objectively the better lunch for info

uhhh what

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Jose Valasquez posted:

This isn't merk's town game. He's spent the entire day defensive instead of scum hunting. Town merk would vote for this merk

##vote merk

This vote is not correct and a lazy excuse to jump on a bandwagon. I've cased Scientastic aggressively, cased Sandwolf (which I think isn't that strong now), and am actively looking for scum. This is the scummiest vote on me right now.

##vote Jose

Nep-Nep's vote was really scummy as well as I pointed out. However, I don't really know how to parse the re-evaluation and unvote. I think that's a townie move but am not sure.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I really want merk to be scum but some of these votes on him are pretty bad

Unfortunately all of merks votes are on people voting him which is not a good look either

I think, hesitantly, I'm going to vote Maigius who has pretty much disappeared from the convo since merk appeared as a prime target and a lot of bandwagon votes popped up

##vote maigius

Getting cold feet. I liked sandwolfs reasons but sandwolf wasn't even voting him while stoking the fire

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

lol merk just told Squiggly to stop bussing him

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Seriously, look at this waffling

Defend

Squiggly posted:

Town merk is too good at scum hunting. It's a curse, really

Attack and defend

Squiggly posted:

He looks scummy because he hadn't come up with a rock solid case yet. I think there are more egregious scummy things than a meta case currently

Hard defend

Squiggly posted:

I think your own words did not say that even if it's what you meant

Squiggly posted:

I find this wrong and disingenuous. He very clearly said he thought steak was town due to meta

You're making a semantics argument and it's bad

Squiggly posted:

Defense of steak

Calls him town

This is a dumb argument you're making man. Was it merk super defending him? No. But you're trying to make this look like a 9/10 and really it's like a 1/10

Attack with a hint of defend

Squiggly posted:

This is a scum merk move though

Are you guys both scum bussing here or what

Squiggly posted:

If maigius had come out with all of this at once this day would look a lot different

At this point I'm already slightly suspect of merk but have to doubt the complete veracity of information trickling in

Defend

Squiggly posted:

I actually think merks refusal to claim is the towniest thing he's done today and I can't really explain why

Attack

Squiggly posted:

Sandwolf is so fuego

##vote merk

Bummer man. Town merk carries hard but scum merk flails with some bad OMGUS

Defend

Squiggly posted:

I really want merk to be scum but some of these votes on him are pretty bad

Unfortunately all of merks votes are on people voting him which is not a good look either

I think, hesitantly, I'm going to vote Maigius who has pretty much disappeared from the convo since merk appeared as a prime target and a lot of bandwagon votes popped up

##vote maigius

Getting cold feet. I liked sandwolfs reasons but sandwolf wasn't even voting him while stoking the fire

Dude definitely doesn't want to launch his scum buddy but doesn't want to look too buddy buddy with him

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I never claimed to have followed you and I think my only post since your full claim was to ask if anyone could do me a favor and and summarize sci.

My bad on what you were doing last night. I still don't have the best feeling about you. I have this vague feeling you and Spoonsy were staging an argument earlier in the day.

Merk honestly has been pinging more as town, but it's hard to say why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

The first quote is an attack actually, because he wasn't scum hunting

I also called merk out yesterday for not participating like I expect town merk to

It's unfortunate that I don't know anyone's alignment and thus have to change my mind when new info is presented

Your vote actually pushed me to consider him as town, interestingly enough