Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Well, now I feel like a dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jade Empire is dead and probably never coming back. Ignoring that the initial release didn't sell all that well, Asian Stereotypes: The Game is not likely to be getting a remaster or a sequel in the current political climate. Maybe if they put together a team with a lot of Asian devs to "do it respectfully" or something, but even then the attempt seems like an invitation for a PR disaster.

El_Elegante posted:

Well, now I feel like a dumbass

And now you know how that typo made it past QA :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

Why wouldn’t it say Jade Empire?

Same reason the 3ds box spine for Resident Evil:Revelations instead says "Resident Evil: Revelaitons"?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i never got the hang of combat. seemed really bad to me. but not enough to dissuade me from finishing the game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just thought Jade Empire. for $4. I think everyone should do the same.
https://www.gog.com/game/jade_empire_special_edition

If the game was 10 hours longer, it could have been the best BW game I ever played. As is, it's still really damned good and I wish it had gotten a sequel. I love Dragon Age, I adore Mass Effect 2, and Jade Empire was rough in spots and a bit "primitive" compared to them, but the setting and tone was something special.

Somebody speculated Pillars of Eternity II didn't sell that well because the market is just kinda over-saturated with Medieval European Fantasy. True or not, I bring it up mainly because I wish we had mrore RPGs like Jade Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63HEV4xcmvQ

Also look into this mod for JE
http://jade-empire-in-style.com/

I have Jade Empire, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, probably because I feel like I should play KOTOR first.

I find Jade Empire interesting, because out of all of Bioware's original IPs, it feels the most unique. You look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and you get the impression that it was their attempt to make continuations of their previous games without the licenses.

Now that I think about, though, there's quite a few instances where devs made successors to their licensed games with their own original setting that ended up being super-popular.

Angry_Ed posted:

Same reason the 3ds box spine for Resident Evil:Revelations instead says "Resident Evil: Revelaitons"?

Dammit, I wanted to make that joke! :argh:

Still, it could be worse. There could have been a tiny IGN watermark somewhere on the cover.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I have Jade Empire, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, probably because I feel like I should play KOTOR first.

I find Jade Empire interesting, because out of all of Bioware's original IPs, it feels the most unique. You look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and you get the impression that it was their attempt to make continuations of their previous games without the licenses.

Now that I think about, though, there's quite a few instances where devs made successors to their licensed games with their own original setting that ended up being super-popular.

Dammit, I wanted to make that joke! :argh:

Still, it could be worse. There could have been a tiny IGN watermark somewhere on the cover.

If you play and like BioWare games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, I think KOTOR 1 really shows its age, It's not a bad game but let's just say everything ever was improved immensely in Dragon Age: Origins which is the peak of the KOTOR-Jade Empire-ME1 formula.. Mass Effect 1 is a bit different as it's somehow an inferior KOTOR 1 with an inferior Canderous and a vastly inferior Carth. Also inferior gameplay.

Jade Empire has a lot of the "BioWare staples" and is sort of in the upper middle in terms of quality. They're getting to their peak but not quite their yet.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

If you play and like BioWare games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, I think KOTOR 1 really shows its age, It's not a bad game but let's just say everything ever was improved immensely in Dragon Age: Origins which is the peak of the KOTOR-Jade Empire-ME1 formula.. Mass Effect 1 is a bit different as it's somehow an inferior KOTOR 1 with an inferior Canderous and a vastly inferior Carth. Also inferior gameplay.

Jade Empire has a lot of the "BioWare staples" and is sort of in the upper middle in terms of quality. They're getting to their peak but not quite their yet.

It's been a long time since I've played Mass Effect 1, but the biggest issue I had with it was the inventory system.

I've tried starting Dragon Age: Origins a couple of times, but I've never managed to make it that far. Both times I started as a mage, so I think if I ever get around to it again, I'll try a different class. I forget what it is that made me drop it. Once I think it was because I transferred computers, but I think it was also because of how it handled party member reactions.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Having never played Jade Empire I would have thought Mass Effect was when they really overhauled things, especially in terms of combat.

I find it difficult to get into the older bioware games because of their AD&D or D20 roots, whereas Mass Effect is third person shooter with rpg elements and Dragon Age is an arpg that ditches all the turns and initiative stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like me some D&D but I don't like playing them as video games, they've just never really clicked for me

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Playing Mass Effect before KOTOR, it's nuts to see how they cannibalized their own work to make ME.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of these games, anybody tried them with GemRB or Xoreos?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Going back to play ME1 sucks for me because the PC version doesn’t have controller support without mods. Actually, I don’t think any of them do, which is baffling.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
is this a place where you can talk about gog galaxy 2.0

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John Romero posted:

is this a place where you can talk about gog galaxy 2.0

No, absolutely no talk on GOG Galaxy on the GOG thread.

And on a completely unrelated note, why does Galaxy 2.0 not support Itch.io libraries yet?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

And on a completely unrelated note, why does Galaxy 2.0 not support Itch.io libraries yet?

they gave the responsibility to the community who are doing plugins that dont work very well and let me tell you when you ask questions in their discord they need to learn their manners

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

John Romero posted:

they gave the responsibility to the community who are doing plugins that dont work very well and let me tell you when you ask questions in their discord they need to learn their manners

???

On a completely unrelated topic, during this years Summer Sales event GOG created a sales promo that is exclusively full of FREE games and demos, which got updated to include Warwind 1, Ascendant, and Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure when they went free last week.
https://www.gog.com/partner/stay_at_home

Total Annihilation was a 48 free deal too, however I think everyone who regularly posts in this thread already got Total Annihilation from a previous sale/promo/purchase.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ascendant is a lot of fun, it seems forgettable and fairly "standard" for that kind of game but it grabbed me for some reason

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John Romero posted:

Wait, is that how the library integration works? Community plugins? Oh boy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Yes so as a consequence the Steam integration is super loving busted atm and you have to install an old version to get it working reliably again

The plugin crashes on me at least once a day and randomly disconnects; for a while I had to go through the log in process every other day and also it just straight up didn't work on my Mac

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really like 2.0 but yeah they should at least put a paid guy on maintaining the Steam integration since that is almost certainly the most important one.

Also my GOG name is Goetta if anyone wants to be Galaxy friends to see achievements and whatever it is friends on that clients does (I have no friends)

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

the xbox integration is official but I feel like that was part of some deal with cdpr related to witcher on game pass and the cyberpunk xbox one x.

no way sony ever does an official integration

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me thinks that Steam integration could actually be the least important one. People with Steam and lots of games on Steam are just going to use Steam. But people with a few games spread out across Origin, uplay, EGS, and whatever other stores there are or may come out could be something to try for.

Though I wonder if EA coming back to Steam (presumably because Valve is giving them more money) could be a sign that a “launcher for your launchers” could shortly - as in several years - not be needed.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Kibayasu posted:

Part of me thinks that Steam integration could actually be the least important one. People with Steam and lots of games on Steam are just going to use Steam. But people with a few games spread out across Origin, uplay, EGS, and whatever other stores there are or may come out could be something to try for.

Yeah I use the Steam client for games I got on Steam and GOG Galaxy for everything else, so I didn't even know there was an issue with Steam integration until reading this thread.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Discord/Galaxy integration when

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Also my GOG name is Goetta if anyone wants to be Galaxy friends to see achievements and whatever it is friends on that clients does (I have no friends)

Also no friends here, friend request sent from Semiru

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Though I wonder if EA coming back to Steam (presumably because Valve is giving them more money) could be a sign that a “launcher for your launchers” could shortly - as in several years - not be needed.

Yeah I guess this is true. Steam integration is essential if you want a true 'one app does it all' library thing but in reality most people use Steam in tandem.

Galaxy is an absolute godsend for GamePass for PC so I'm glad that they are cozy with Microsoft.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

invite sent from Ace5H1gh :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Friend invites sent from doctorfrog. I don't use Galaxy much but I don't object to seeing your video games achievements.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

doctorfrog posted:

Friend invites sent from doctorfrog. I don't use Galaxy much but I don't object to seeing your video games achievements.

I can’t find you as doctorfrog, but I can be added as El_Elegante

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was hidden, now I ain't. Sent you a friend request!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I've always wanted to ask.. Is that a Theme Hospital reference? That game's entire soundtrack is one of those that's always stuck on my mind, humming pieces of it daily.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My username? Nah, it was a character name I came up with in the days of AOL chatrooms, I'd very thinly roleplay a literal frog working on his doctoral thesis and using a special waterproof keyboard. It replaced an earlier username, "thelouisianapurchase."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That's not the same, not the same at all, but interesting!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks for the friend requests folks, it's good to see some other stats on the game screens

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It seems that the site is experiencing heavy load now. I can't even access their forums.

Is this because of the Hitman Absolution freebie?

(Hitman Absolution is on giveaway from the front page - scroll to see the banner to redeem it)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

AbstractNapper posted:

It seems that the site is experiencing heavy load now. I can't even access their forums.

(Hitman Absolution is on giveaway from the front page - scroll to see the banner to redeem it)

Must be. The whole site is down

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

It took me an hour to post my absolute zinger on their forums for their cyberpunk cpu comp and then I found it posted like 8 times, hope they don't hold it against me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

I refuse to believe that many people would want Hitman Absolution, even if it is free.

Then again, I also took the freebie (despite having bought it on Steam), so I'm not really in a place to complain.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shitman

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hitman 2016 is more deserving of the subtitle 'Absolution' than Hitman: Absolution, in that IOI addressed the issue people had with H:A, and sought to make something more like Blood Money to win people back.

To be fair, though, I think Absolution was handled by an outside studio, which is why it ended up the way it did.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 12, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I just grab all the freebies even if I know I'll never download them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cat Mattress posted:

I just grab all the freebies even if I know I'll never download them.

Gotta pad the library.