Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

They should make Nakayama play Tokimeki Memorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
https://twitch.tv/cardfrek

You can watch a live stream of the the 300 episode celebration live challenge on this twitch stream.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

https://twitch.tv/cardfrek

You can watch a live stream of the the 300 episode celebration live challenge on this twitch stream.

Arino is never going to grasp the implications of the screen wrapping, is he? So many of the things he has trouble with would be resolved by just walking off the side of the screen and appearing on the other.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Happy that Twitch recommended the GCCX stream to me the other day. I never watched any of it, and now I love it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Is there a discord or something for this thread? Given the potential for a forum collapse, I'd like to know where I can talk about the kacho.

Aside from with everyone I meet.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

Is there a discord or something for this thread? Given the potential for a forum collapse, I'd like to know where I can talk about the kacho.

Aside from with everyone I meet.

Seconding this request, hoping no-one says Reddit :ohdear:

Remember when we bought flowers for Arino? And when that goon bought him whisky? I don't want to lose any potential future adventures just because the founder of this web sight is a lovely person.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey folks, most people here don't know me, but I'm the hoster for the SA-GCCX site. If the forums go down before things are settled either way, I or Mister Chief will post a message there on where the community can reunite. Don't worry, our community is too great to break apart because of one bad egg. We'll always have Kacho to unite us.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Not sure who to talk to about it but I know there's a retro games goon discord, might just be worth adding a Game Center CX channel to that

edit: this one

Fawf fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 24, 2020

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Fawf posted:

Not sure who to talk to about it but I know there's a retro games goon discord, might just be worth adding a Game Center CX channel to that

edit: this one

Joined. Man, I had no idea about Lowtax. What a freakin dingus.

Can't wait for the new Dragon Quest episode. Been going through the backlog and watching old episodes to keep me at bay. I might have to start watching the raws.

A couple that I really enjoyed:
S14 108 Smart ball aka "Jerry Boy"
S17 173 Oishinbo the ultimate menu

Any suggestions that I should watch RIGHT NOW?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ganty posted:

Joined. Man, I had no idea about Lowtax. What a freakin dingus.

Can't wait for the new Dragon Quest episode. Been going through the backlog and watching old episodes to keep me at bay. I might have to start watching the raws.

A couple that I really enjoyed:
S14 108 Smart ball aka "Jerry Boy"
S17 173 Oishinbo the ultimate menu

Any suggestions that I should watch RIGHT NOW?

Fun fact about Oishinbo. It was an adventure game so that was about 60-80 hours of timing work. Whiling doing that I marathoned every episode of Iron Chef. I was one episode into IC America when I finished (Shatner version).

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Derby Stallion!

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Fun fact about Oishinbo. It was an adventure game so that was about 60-80 hours of timing work. Whiling doing that I marathoned every episode of Iron Chef. I was one episode into IC America when I finished (Shatner version).

I really appreciated the timing work. Thank you so much. It shone through the most I think at this part:

The adventure episodes are generally the ones I enjoy the most, Princess Tomato was brilliant. And the Hokkaido one (though that was a bit harder to follow).

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
SA-GCCX and their successors have done great work that I really appreciate, and wherever you go, I will attempt to follow. Thank you.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Pentaro posted:

Derby Stallion!

I'M WATCHIN IT NOW BRO.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

geri_khan posted:

SA-GCCX and their successors have done great work that I really appreciate, and wherever you go, I will attempt to follow. Thank you.

Seconded. I literally joined this forum for SA-GCCX. I can't begin to guess at how many hours of pure happiness your work has given me over the years.

Thank you all so much - and thanks, too, to the GooseCanyon geese for picking up the torch. Kacho forever.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching closely to see where I may have to follow. Here's hoping for the best though

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Howdy, someone already posted a link a little bit ago. But just wanted to pop in that we (the retro goons in the Retro Gaming Megathread) have set up a bit of refugee zone for SA-GCCX posters in case the forums go poof.

https://discord.gg/RPBTe9 - Invite link good for the day.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 24, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
When they do, I'll be right behind you

Lead me to the GCCX estate where we will rebuild a new community, starting with the crawfish wranglers. I don't fit in anywhere else.

E: I own retro game master on DVD let me in LET ME IN!!

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 24, 2020

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Hey folks, most people here don't know me, but I'm the hoster for the SA-GCCX site. If the forums go down before things are settled either way, I or Mister Chief will post a message there on where the community can reunite. Don't worry, our community is too great to break apart because of one bad egg. We'll always have Kacho to unite us.

People are gonna be looking for GCCX content now that the stream is running. Many of the MEGA links on the SA-GCCX site seem to be dead. Since apparently some people cannot access the torrents on other sites, is there a chance for a re-upload or hosting a big torrent on SA-GCCX that would have everything?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

People are gonna be looking for GCCX content now that the stream is running. Many of the MEGA links on the SA-GCCX site seem to be dead. Since apparently some people cannot access the torrents on other sites, is there a chance for a re-upload or hosting a big torrent on SA-GCCX that would have everything?

I'd need your (as in, the thread) help as I don't have most episodes in my hard drives, so we'd need to coordinate this somehow. I've seen a few big torrents before but not entirely sure how complete those are -- I assume, not much.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I'd need your (as in, the thread) help as I don't have most episodes in my hard drives, so we'd need to coordinate this somehow. I've seen a few big torrents before but not entirely sure how complete those are -- I assume, not much.

Well, there are plenty of season torrents on Nyaa including one that's 155 GB and should have at least the majority of subbed content (updated 04-2020).

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's great to hear!
I've been wondering, what the ADs have been up to.

Apologies for the wall of text, but just for clarification, all AD/APs are GasCoin Company employees. The Continue 15th Anniversary Special had an interesting fact – new GasCoin Company ADs are sent to GCCX for training, because it’s usually filmed in their offices, where all the bosses are to watch and advise, and they can see how the do on camera (other shows trot ADs out sometimes too, but I don’t remember that much before GCCX, huh…).
So “left the show” means they were either transferred to a different show that GasCoin makes, or promoted to director, etc., and still pop up sometimes.

That said, according to what's online, was in the AD GCCX Museum videos, and the Continue 15th Anniversary Special:

1 - Toujima - father of three, bounced around several producer-type jobs, works for Arino's agency, Shochiku Geino

2 - Sasano – left to work in Osaka, works as a talent agent.

3 - Urakawa - married then divorced, returned to the show and left again, works as a TV director, remarried to actress Ryoku Yui.

4 - Inoue – quit (or forced out? It’s a mystery), came back, promoted to director of his own production team, left Gas Coin again, works as a free-lance director. The piece on him in the in the Continue 15th Anniversary Special really paints him as screw-up who was always in fights (the USA Vietnam trip almost fell apart because of fights between him and Mare Ishida) who drinks too much.

5 - Takahashi (Sachi) - currently an elementary school teacher on Amami Ōshima, has one son.

6 - Tsuruoka – Left Gas Coin, became a street musician, employed by J:Com, promoted from Chief to Section Chief, jokes that he beat Arino to getting a promotion.

7 - Nakayama – AP, not an AD, left Gas Coin, currently a medical assistant at a hospital, recently married.

8 - Enomoto - left Gas Coin, became a jewel appraiser, currently sells electronic health record equipment to hospitals, etc.
8* - Itou (Akane) - left Gas Coin, works at a shop in Shinjuku, mother of one.

9 - Katayama - left the show, promoted to director.

10 - Takahashi (Junpei) – left the show, promoted to director.

11 - Itou (Atsushi) – left Gas Coin, currently works sales for a printing company.

12 – Matsui – Left the show, came back again as an AD on the show, promoted to Director. First AD born in the 1990s.

13 – Yanai – Left Gas Coin, works in an advertising agency.

14 – Ootsuka – Assistant AD, promoted to AD, promoted to director.

15 – Watari - AD, left the show, promoted to director.

16 – Kaga – transferred to a different show.

17 – Iwahashi - transferred to a different show.

18 – Kobayashi – current AD

* - The fans in Japan consider them as the 8th AD together.

And while we’re talking ADs, Yamada appears in both DVD boxset 4 and rental DVD 15.0 episodes, but isn’t credited on the back of either.
The rumor that it was because he left Fuji TV for Asahi TV has been floated, but is unconfirmed.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 29, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Dunno if recent events chased the geese away but part 2 of Dragon Quest was released yesterday.

quote:

Translation: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Proofreading: Kuishinbou
Subtitles: Clov
Special Thanks: Bean

If the castle you wish to flee, go to staircase 7-B.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Dunno if recent events chased the geese away

Oh man, hope not. Things are sorted now, Goose people!

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Mucho thanks for the heads up, Kanfy . And another big thank ya to the Goose team! I just finished re-watching the first part of the Dragon Quest episode, so that's perfect timing on the release. Also, is this place about to collapse soon? I hear a bit of crumbling and creaking

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for letting us know.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Man, that's sad to hear about Inoko MAX. I guess somebody really liked him, because he kept being involved in the show and seem to have good rapport with Arino, but maybe they let him back because of pity.

But then again, I did rewatch an earlier episode with him and then a later episode, and yeah, he looks like he put more miles on during the years than the average person does.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm kinda surprised knowing that about Inoue. I thought he was pretty reliable since he's still in the show (I think) after all these years.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

Kanfy posted:

Dunno if recent events chased the geese away but part 2 of Dragon Quest was released yesterday.

yesssssss

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

Jakespeare posted:

Mucho thanks for the heads up, Kanfy . And another big thank ya to the Goose team! I just finished re-watching the first part of the Dragon Quest episode, so that's perfect timing on the release. Also, is this place about to collapse soon? I hear a bit of crumbling and creaking

Seems to have been stabilized since jeffrey took control from lowtax. guess we'll find out soon enough.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kakaricho posted:

And while we’re talking ADs, Yamada appears in both DVD boxset 4 and rental DVD 15.0 episodes, but isn’t credited on the back of either.
The rumor that it was because he left Fuji TV for Asahi TV has been floated, but is unconfirmed.

According to what I've read in Kachou On!, AD Yamada left BeWild/GasCoin four episodes into the first season after an argument with Producer Kan. Apparently the staff has tried to memory hole him since then; Abe certainly didn't have a high opinion of him, claiming that Yamada "failed as a human being".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I can't believe Arino hit the Dragonlord with Hurtmore not once, but twice.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thanks for the Dragon Quest conclusion!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

Man, that's sad to hear about Inoko MAX. I guess somebody really liked him, because he kept being involved in the show and seem to have good rapport with Arino, but maybe they let him back because of pity.

According to the Continue Special, actually, after his blow-out with Ishida during the Vietnam trip (I erroneously said the USA trip, that was when Kibe and Isihda got in a fight about going to Disneyland), Kan was on the verge of firing him. Instead, he decided to ask someone outside of GasCoin to talk to him, and that person was...Arino, you know, the famous comedian. Arino followed him on Twitter so they could DM, they setup a sit down where Arino told him that his being late wasn't funny anymore, gave him advice, and afterwards Inoue apologized to Ishida and gave her a cake.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

According to what I've read in Kachou On!, AD Yamada left BeWild/GasCoin four episodes into the first season after an argument with Producer Kan. Apparently the staff has tried to memory hole him since then; Abe certainly didn't have a high opinion of him, claiming that Yamada "failed as a human being".

I read that too, wouldn't be too strange to hate your coworkers and jump ship for the same job with a different company. We'll probably never know, libel laws and whatnot.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 30, 2020

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
In his GCCX memoir, Kibe wrote he didn't think it was possible to hate someone so much until he met Inoue (he's okay with him now, not so much in Inoue's early days)

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

In his GCCX memoir, Kibe wrote he didn't think it was possible to hate someone so much until he met Inoue (he's okay with him now, not so much in Inoue's early days)

A clean freak meets a frequently-late screw-up, color me shocked they didn't get along well!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

He now hates him a normal amount.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Inoko MAX and I share a birthday. I don't know if that actually means anything or not.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's kind of sad hearing that Inoko MAX was/is apparently kind of a dick, because I love that guy on GCCX. He's probably my favorite AD out of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The old favorites naturally get a lot of attention since many of them are great those episodes have been translated for years, but there have been a lot of good ADs in more recent times too. "Thief" Oosuka is amongst my personal favorites, guy always seems like he's having a good time and I'm glad he's stuck around as a director.