Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There is an Unreal Engine logo in the corner, who knows what version though. I still say it's fake. Not gonna believe in it until there's video of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jehde posted:

There is an Unreal Engine logo in the corner, who knows what version though. I still say it's fake. Not gonna believe in it until there's video of gameplay.

I think it must be Unreal 2

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Sininu posted:

I think it must be Unreal 2

Pretty sure it is confirmed Unreal 4

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I really, really, really hope this doesn't turn into vapourware.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Is there something buggy going on with the AI in Anomaly? I often come across enemies who have their backs to me and are completely unaware, even if I'm not being particularly sneaky.

Tried this and it didn't seem to help. I just want mutants to make the same level of sound as they did in the base game/CoC.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Army base in Agroprom is (I think) literally impossible to take. I have character spawns set to 1.5, and used the gausse rifle to one-shot 30 soldiers and ran out of ammo. I have two Ar-15s and a heap of ammo, but they end up breaking (from perfect condition) because I'm putting too many rounds through them. I think I killed 50 soldiers, and there seems to be no end to them since I can still see the base swarming with them after I am down to no weapons, no ammo (from over 1200 rounds), and I have to run away.

This is the Call of Chernobyl Mod.

Anyone else have this bug? I think in Vanilla there might have been at the most 12 soldiers in the base, but 50+ would seem to indicate that every time I kill one another one instantly spawns in his place. The main entrance had them piled up like firewood and bodies were rolling every which way when their living comrades were trying to push their way out through the gate over the pile.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Alright so after giving a shot to Escape from Tarkov I just realized I just want to play stalker again.
So I'll probably give a shot to Anomaly, last time I played was a couple years ago. Any recommended addons? I want to go full in here with maximum micromanagement

fakeedit: I indeed was a fan of misery - any way to recreate that dreaded painful experience?

RattiRatto fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 28, 2020

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I think Anomaly on its own on max difficulty would scratch that itch. With item animations if you really hate yourself. There are loads on options in the menu to tweak the difficulty further.

Public Service Notice - The "Predator" sunrise suit can be repaired using light armor repair kits, which can be bought from any friendly/neutral technician at the start of any run (no need to grind standings with a faction). If you loot one in hobo phase, keep it. It's not as good as a "Tigerstripe" sunrise suit (Rupture defense is king in anomaly), but is more than adequate to get you through the hobo phase.

Stats for all armor in anomaly.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think I got a good grasp of all the systems in Anomaly at this point and wanted to share my thoughts and see what other people think.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I feel like the the repair system is way too granular. I actually enjoy the maintenance items added to the game since it makes things more survival-y and balances out the economy somewhat, but the weapon system at the workbench isn't that great. Having stuff like certain repair kits being gated behind high rep with a faction means in practice you can't really engage with it early on when it would actually make a difference. For instance, when I first started, I picked up an okay AK-74, managed to find and repair the correct replacement parts, but then had to grind up a bunch of rep before small-bore rifle repair kits became available at sellers, at which point I already had enough quest reward money where it was just simpler to buy a better gun. The handgun and shotgun repair kits offered at the get-go have a similar problem in the early game, where it's just more cost effective to outright buy the gun at a shop rather than DIYing it. At the late game point I'm at right now, where I can scavenge high tier gear off Merc and Monolith squads, I'll probably get more mileage out of the workbench, but even that is kind of rendered moot by an issue I'll get into later.

Crafting is pretty strong and you can make a Veles/Svarog detector fairly easily through this method. One tip I'll give is to keep the recipe manuals rather than selling them early on, just so you can learn what components you want to keep. I'll echo the tip of someone else in the thread to keep multiple backpack stashes around your chosen workbench base, and also to remember to use the inventory sort categories and the keyboard commands (Ctrl-Click to move an entire stack of items, shift to move everything).

Upgrade kits being discrete items you can find in the world is nice but I can't say I made good use of them. At first I just kept all of them in my stash while waiting to find the appropriate level of tools to actually use them, but I just found it more practical to sell as loot when I was skint. One thing I hate though is that it pollutes the quest system with these items; the game adds a bunch of them and they're all fairly generically named, so it's a pain to remember if you actually have a particular one in your stash before accepting an NPC fetch quest for one.

Cooking is kind of pointless as far as I can tell. Selling cooked food isn't economical, even if you don't factor in the cooking stove and fuel material cost. Using cooked food yourself isn't cost effective either, since you have to add in purified water costs for the better recipes. Just seems you're better off saving meat for quests and money (Butcher in Garbage and Librarian in Great Swamp are reliable sources for these turn in quests), and then buying food and water at shops.

The biggest issue though is that all of these systems are rendered moot once you have crafted a good detector, bought an SSP suit, and start artifact hunting. Anomaly tries to balance things out by requiring lead lined containers and having artifacts being somewhat limited by requiring anomalies to be recharged by emissions or allowing NPC's to loot them first, but the economy is thrown out the window after clearing a map and turning in stuff to scientists a couple of times.

Overall, I still like Anomaly but I think it could use a balance pass. I'm going to wait for an update since the storyline quest is bugged for me (Doctor in the swamps won't talk to me because he's apparently stuck in a bugged animation) so hopefully the next version is a bit more fine-tuned.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think your analysis is pretty much spot-on. Most games with similar systems (Fallout games come to mind) start you out scrounging for parts where finding some mid-level crafting components feels like a huge win, and you're invested in your gear because you were the one to fix it up and keep it running. By lategame, the player is usually presented with the option to skip the work and just outright pay for the convenience of fully repaired equipment, or can buy new stuff. Again, this makes sense for when the appeal of keeping a single beat-up gun in working condition wears off and the player is more powerful.

Anomaly reverses that, and to bad effect. You're just incentivized to sell everything right away and not really engage with the crafting system at all. By the time you might be able to, there's no reason to do so anymore because you have lots of money already.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

Army base in Agroprom is (I think) literally impossible to take. I have character spawns set to 1.5, and used the gausse rifle to one-shot 30 soldiers and ran out of ammo. I have two Ar-15s and a heap of ammo, but they end up breaking (from perfect condition) because I'm putting too many rounds through them. I think I killed 50 soldiers, and there seems to be no end to them since I can still see the base swarming with them after I am down to no weapons, no ammo (from over 1200 rounds), and I have to run away.

This is the Call of Chernobyl Mod.

Anyone else have this bug? I think in Vanilla there might have been at the most 12 soldiers in the base, but 50+ would seem to indicate that every time I kill one another one instantly spawns in his place. The main entrance had them piled up like firewood and bodies were rolling every which way when their living comrades were trying to push their way out through the gate over the pile.

Personally I never liked the weapon degradation system in these games. 1200 rounds for some folks is a normal weekend at the range. It shouldn't degrade a gun to "jam every other round"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

anomaly is vexing the poo poo out of me. i'm still in the hobo phase of the game; i came out of the swamp near the military base in cordon, i followed some military dude to just outside the rookie village, i murdered the military dude, and now a billion military fellows have swept in to ethnically cleanse everyone. i can take down large numbers of them through ambushing with shotgun slugs, but i pretty much get nothing for it as all these military vets are running around with 10% condition weapons.

i may play with some settings and see if i can get stuff to drop at like 30% instead, as well as starting again in some slightly more interesting area

i like the granular weapon-fixing system, i like the idea of multiple toolkits being needed to make repairing a really knackered weapon into an actual project, but holy gently caress do i dislike the idea of tying available repair kits to your Has Done Enough Scutwork ranking. like, i've already got no resources, don't lock down what little i can squander my roubles on! i echo what people earlier in the thread have said re: it being backwards; by the time you can get all the necessary kits to repair guns from scratch, you're gonna have enough money to pay a technician to do it

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i may play with some settings and see if i can get stuff to drop at like 30% instead, as well as starting again in some slightly more interesting area

That part at least is doable- there are a lot of mods for the mod, like this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/better-weapon-outfit-condition-on-drop which do what you're suggesting. (I haven't used that one in particular, just the first that came up with the search).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SocketWrench posted:

Personally I never liked the weapon degradation system in these games. 1200 rounds for some folks is a normal weekend at the range. It shouldn't degrade a gun to "jam every other round"

Yes. If a rifle stopped working after 3000 rounds it wouldn't have made it to production in the first place. Now putting 300 rounds through one in 4 minutes is for sure going to ruin the barrel and possibly the receiver, but over the course of a few maps it should in no way degrade the thing more than a few percent.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i started again as a freedom stalker with a rifle and woo, this is way more fun

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Whats great is we all assume that a flying saucer is a shimmery round thing, and its impossible to be a big heavy squarish thing inhabited by an old guy with a strong interest in all the strange rubbish from say, a roadside picnic.
vast amounts of cash and advanced science stuff too, such a sweet ole guy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame/status/1251797685679484928?s=20

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
tbh if thats an ingame screenshot it looks like poo poo lol

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's the original with upped textures and a reshade mod on.

Original gun still on the right.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame/status/1261215412424974337?s=20

https://twitter.com/azariiix/status/1261220508705665024?s=20

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Installed CoC for the first time ever, drat this is fun and hard. Night time is terrifying in the early game. I started as a Merc for my first play through, hilarious. drat difficult just getting my rear end to the wild territory, then it got dark. Now I’m in the garbage in pitch blackness with no sleeping bag to just “ride jt out” til morning, monsters are everywhere and the bandits don’t like me. Then an emission.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Killswitch posted:

Installed CoC for the first time ever, drat this is fun and hard. Night time is terrifying in the early game. I started as a Merc for my first play through, hilarious. drat difficult just getting my rear end to the wild territory, then it got dark. Now I’m in the garbage in pitch blackness with no sleeping bag to just “ride jt out” til morning, monsters are everywhere and the bandits don’t like me. Then an emission.

Mercs would (IMO) be the second least favorable faction to spawn with. Do they even have a place to hide in Wild Territory during emissions that doesn't give them radiation poisoning or contain pissed off mutants?

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
Been playing a lot of DoctorX's Call of the Zone, which is built on CoC. adds a lot of dynamic tasks, factions, etc. If you want more missions in CoC. The weapon mod in the addons and some texture packs make it perfect for me.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/doctorx-call-of-the-zone

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
some of that good old stalker campfire music

https://borealheights.bandcamp.com/album/winds-windows

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
does Anomaly have some kind of crash logging? Just downloaded the game with a few mods my friend recommended and I keep having insta CTDs. Like, take five steps in babytown and CTD

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Robo Reagan posted:

does Anomaly have some kind of crash logging? Just downloaded the game with a few mods my friend recommended and I keep having insta CTDs. Like, take five steps in babytown and CTD

What are the mods? When you are playing a mod like anomoly that has its fingers in every aspect of gameplay, sometimes even little piddly mods don't play nice.

Also what version of the game (CD, Steam, warez)? I have the steam version of all of them, but had to dig out my CD a few years back to get Complete to run properly.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 3, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I figured out what the problem was. The weapon balancing mod I have broke tracers and turning them off fixed it

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

You don't need the game to play Anomaly; it's standalone. And yeah, use a mod organizer for your Anomaly mods, and roll them out one at a time.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Finally getting around to playing these games after watching Chernobyl. Doing them in the release order since that's what's recommended.

I went through the FAQ and tried to extract The Zone Reclamation Project, but I'm not sure I can tell whether it installed successfully? I'm playing the Steam version and when I installed it into the steamapps/common/STALKER pathway it didn't overwrite anything, but none of the folders it added existed there beforehand.

I tried the config change to adjust the actor height form 0.85 to 0.94 but I still seem quite short. That's made me skeptical as to whether the Reclamation Project worked properly, is there anything I can do to check in game to verify?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Riversideblues posted:

Finally getting around to playing these games after watching Chernobyl. Doing them in the release order since that's what's recommended.

I went through the FAQ and tried to extract The Zone Reclamation Project, but I'm not sure I can tell whether it installed successfully? I'm playing the Steam version and when I installed it into the steamapps/common/STALKER pathway it didn't overwrite anything, but none of the folders it added existed there beforehand.

I tried the config change to adjust the actor height form 0.85 to 0.94 but I still seem quite short. That's made me skeptical as to whether the Reclamation Project worked properly, is there anything I can do to check in game to verify?

The original Stalker game needs this cfg change in fsgame.ltx, which should be in the game install dir. Otherwise mods never get loaded

code:
$game_data$ = false| true| $fs_root$| gamedata
Change "false" to "true":

code:
$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

And if you want better textures for modern resolutions: http://www.absolute.crommcruac.com/shadow-of-chernobyl/

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

have any of you heard of, or tried the game Into The Radius?

Just popped up on my steam page and it is stalker in VR.. I think at this stage i'd buy a VR setup just to get more stalkin time

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Where can i buy 9x39 ammo in call of chernobyl? I finally got my hands on a groza but seems like no one sells the ammo... is there some level of progress i need to achieve to make it available?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Killswitch posted:

Where can i buy 9x39 ammo in call of chernobyl? I finally got my hands on a groza but seems like no one sells the ammo... is there some level of progress i need to achieve to make it available?

i dont think so.. i guess i would try the duty or freedom merchants. maybe the bar man? i dont think sidorovich is gonna have them

you can save scum (quick save and quick load) in front of a merchant to refresh his inventory. try that a few times, and if it doesn't work after a few times, visit someone else

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

slow_twitch posted:

have any of you heard of, or tried the game Into The Radius?

Just popped up on my steam page and it is stalker in VR.. I think at this stage i'd buy a VR setup just to get more stalkin time

didnt know about it

looks cool, but i dont have vr

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i dont think so.. i guess i would try the duty or freedom merchants. maybe the bar man? i dont think sidorovich is gonna have them

you can save scum (quick save and quick load) in front of a merchant to refresh his inventory. try that a few times, and if it doesn't work after a few times, visit someone else
this is in call of misery but i got vendor upgrades from everyone after getting my personal rep high enough, not sure if it's a thing in base CoC tho

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I did a long run through of base CoC and a mostly true observation is that all gear improves the further North you go, including weapons and the ammo types they use. The Duty/Freedom merchants, including the guy in Dead City, tend to have the more obscure and powerful ammos.

That was a fun run, starting in the Cordon and working my way up North while exploring each map along the way. Loadout was restricted to a pistol and a sniper instead of the ARs and shotguns I otherwise always land up using in these games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfxYKcazeBY

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Back to the Cordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So it said console launch exclusive -- does that mean STALKER 2 is a launch game for Xbone 2? That's not that far out, is it? late 2020, iirc.

Of course, it's also coming to PC, and apparently gamepass. Woop? :woop: