Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

yeah I mean I'm more hopeful (after playing it) that this delivers more of what I was expecting from a pvp/player-driven-economy mmo

that said, god drat it has some rough edges

but as far as game content goes, I was already a huge fan of the shadowbane rune system (which are disciplines here) and the fact that characters can be leveled up super fast is also really nice

tonight I'll take my level 30 rage-hamster out for some pvp and see how it feels but so far I mean, I have long-term hope for the game and look forward to jumping in at various campaigns

teeeeensy bit worried about the whole "at 9PM MST last night there was less than 100 people online for both the starter area and the campaign area" thing given the numbers they toss out about backers but uhhhh we'll see I guess

e: yeeeeeeeeeeah bad game. game has promise, but uh... just as easily could've not played it. as it stands, I'll log in every few weeks to spend my passive skill points, maybe mess around with a build here and there.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

teeeeensy bit worried about the whole "at 9PM MST last night there was less than 100 people online for both the starter area and the campaign area" thing given the numbers they toss out about backers but uhhhh we'll see I guess

I mean, backers are only going to assemble in game when BIG NEWS is announced, see nothing is really that good yet, and become jaded about the next BIG NEWS.

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
I hope this works out. I was a really great concept.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Is the game actually in beta now?

Also this is a serious question: Is 5 years from concept to beta good for something like this?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Kinda?

Like it's certainly on the longer end of development cycles. But given the funding model and the impact it has on project scope the two get balanced out. It's not like in traditional dev-publisher funding model where you start with a larger scope, cut it down to fit the publisher budget, and then if you're going over-budget ask for additional funds from the publisher or simply cut the scope even more to release on time. Rather the reverse: the more people buy into the game, the more runway they have, the more features they can develop, the larger scope becomes. But 5 years from concept to beta isn't strictly a black mark for an MMO.

That being said, I haven't actually played the game. At the end of the day, "beta" doesn't mean anything anymore in gaming aside from being synonymous with "unfinished".

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SweetBro posted:

Kinda?

Like it's certainly on the longer end of development cycles. But given the funding model and the impact it has on project scope the two get balanced out. It's not like in traditional dev-publisher funding model where you start with a larger scope, cut it down to fit the publisher budget, and then if you're going over-budget ask for additional funds from the publisher or simply cut the scope even more to release on time. Rather the reverse: the more people buy into the game, the more runway they have, the more features they can develop, the larger scope becomes. But 5 years from concept to beta isn't strictly a black mark for an MMO.

That being said, I haven't actually played the game. At the end of the day, "beta" doesn't mean anything anymore in gaming aside from being synonymous with "unfinished".

I've backed thousands of various things, I have worked in the games, and I like sandboxes so much I'm happily willing to be scammed for them and throw money at every single (non-obvious scam) ones that come out. I play literal garbage games and have plenty of experience with them.

The black mark here isn't 5 years from concept to beta, I would argue that there's a ton more things in play:

- Unity, while AFAIK there is no reasonably large MMO built with this so it's all lesson learning and reinventing the wheel, wasting more time
- They keep doing weird stuff like moving from building a mmo to licencing out their "new game engine toolchain to save you time when building your own MMO"
- They keep pausing development to go write crap articles for making another round of "ultra super ruby diamond supporter founder's children but still founder pack" every other week
- "ultra super ruby diamond supporter founder's children but still founder pack"
- It took something like 3 years to have a blank, featureless world you can walk in, complete with bad netcode
- It's not even a crowdfunded game anymore, they've gone and taken traditional dev-publisher money, which outnumbers pledged crowdfunding money significantly
- A lot of odd things they've "unlocked" or "promised" haven't materialised, like translating the site into additional languages being two separate stretch goals, neither of which were done
- It's not beta yet

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 27, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Verbose posted:

Is the game actually in beta now?

Also this is a serious question: Is 5 years from concept to beta good for something like this?

No it is not in beta. It is definitely still in an alpha state.

Time wise I think they basically wasted their first 3 years, but I do think they have made progress in the last two years and especially recently the game has definitely started to come together. For a PVP MMO It is definitely further along than Camelot Unchained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQTYHjT4nVs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I wish Crowfall wasn't a PvP MMORPG, all of the different races and classes you can play as reminds me a lot of Everquest 1 & 2, but PvP is really not my thing.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Is that FPS counter impacted by recording software or is that game actually running at 12 FPS in some instances? I hate to be a tech snob, but that is absolutely unacceptable in 2020.

How are they going to resolve this issue before release? I have seen games increase by 10 FPS on average from beta to release, but I've never seen a game go from 12 FPS to 40+ FPS.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I wish Crowfall wasn't a PvP MMORPG, all of the different races and classes you can play as reminds me a lot of Everquest 1 & 2, but PvP is really not my thing.

That was the mentality that ruined New World

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is that FPS counter impacted by recording software or is that game actually running at 12 FPS in some instances? I hate to be a tech snob, but that is absolutely unacceptable in 2020.

How are they going to resolve this issue before release? I have seen games increase by 10 FPS on average from beta to release, but I've never seen a game go from 12 FPS to 40+ FPS.

I had a fairly difficult time getting above 25 FPS on an empty map on a 5700XT and Quadro P5000.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I said come in! posted:

There are many many PvE MMORPGs that are out there and most of them will be 10 times better than Crowfall.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cardboard Fox posted:

It's like we are in Shadowbane beta all over again. Large battles will be slideshows and I doubt they will be able to fix it.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

daslog posted:

It's like we are in Shadowbane beta all over again. Large battles will be slideshows and I doubt they will be able to fix it.

also like shadowbane, battles are just going to be stacks of ranged dps vs other stacks of ranged dps with a sprinkling of healers.

playing a melee class feels really bad when an archer can out dps you from 65m away with 0 risk.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

It is accurate. However, as of the 24th they just pushed patch that was supposed to improve FPS somewhat. Up until now they haven't done much optimizing as far as I understand. It used to be a lag fest AND an garbage FPS, so now its just garbage FPS!

Hope I'm not sounding like a fanboy or something because I'm really not and the game could completely fail still, but from the videos I've seen and my guild members comments it seems more like a real game than most kickstarted MMOs when you compare it to CU, SC, etc.

insider fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 29, 2020

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

insider posted:

It is accurate. However, as of the 24th they just pushed patch that was supposed to improve FPS somewhat. Up until now they haven't done much optimizing as far as I understand. It used to be a lag fest AND an garbage FPS, so now its just garbage FPS!

Hope I'm not sounding like a fanboy or something because I'm really not and the game could completely fail still, but from the videos I've seen and my guild members comments it seems more like a real game than most kickstarted MMOs when you compare it to CU, SC, etc.

It's ok to like things that aren't that great, we all do it. gently caress, I installed and played DC Universe Online yesterday.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

insider posted:

No, it's cool to be hyped for a game, especially one that looks relatively unique. I just really hope they can get the engine working in large battles.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

From a guildie who plays a lot about the melee vs. ranged balance:

they are working on melee ranged balance as we speak
since that siege there was a significant change to how crowd control and dodge work
both of which dramatically improved melee to the point where in our scrims we are now running melee trains

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I bought this like a month ago, it runs like a sack of poo poo, even on potato mode. I made it to like level 10 before I gave up.

On the note of Shadowbane, the chinese company that bought it in 2012? I think, is now actively developing it and its in beta. They C&D'd the emulator(s) about 8 months ago.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

PriNGLeS posted:

I bought this like a month ago, it runs like a sack of poo poo, even on potato mode. I made it to like level 10 before I gave up.

On the note of Shadowbane, the chinese company that bought it in 2012? I think, is now actively developing it and its in beta. They C&D'd the emulator(s) about 8 months ago.

seeing as how movement in SB was click based, I'm going to place my money on they're making it into a pay to win mobile game.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Mjolnerd posted:

seeing as how movement in SB was click based, I'm going to place my money on they're making it into a pay to win mobile game.

It's an open beta type of situation, and it's still the same game. I'm sure there will be plenty of pay to win mechanics, because China. It's the same studio that handles Warframe in China, and a handful of other titles I've never heard of.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

PriNGLeS posted:

I have kinda mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the emulators ran better than live ever did. On the other hand, it would be nice for the servers to be run by a group that actually makes sane changes to the game.

Not that i'm likely to play again with how bigoted the community is...

insider
Feb 22, 2007

So.... game is officially in beta as of August 11: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/2916823

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

loving finally, this is officially the furthest along in development of all of the sketchy next-gen MMORPGs out there. Camelot Unchained, Pantheon, Star Citizen, Ashes of Creation, have all been stuck in pre-alpha for almost a decade now.

Arawn
Jul 5, 2020
Yeah if Camelot Unchained could loving keep up, it would be great.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
i'm actually surprised this is going to make it to a beta.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

i'm actually surprised this is going to make it to a beta.

I think the key is that they haven't switched to working on some other 2nd game that no one asked for like most other kickstarted MMO did (CU, AOC, SC, etc)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I think as well they have a clear vision and are not changing course constantly. Also no big egos are working on this. Star Citizen, and Patheon, has people who want to relive their glory days but realized they dont know how to do it on their own without a publisher to help.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Early access games I purchased due to goon threads:
- Tree of Life: dead game
- Worlds Adrift: dead game
- Crowfall: Death comes in threes, but I have a shred of hope.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
So anyone playing this im tempted to try it?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Themoor posted:

So anyone playing this im tempted to try it?

I mean if you already backed it give it a go but if you haven't I really don't recommend buying it yet. It is still super rough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

insider posted:

I mean if you already backed it give it a go but if you haven't I really don't recommend buying it yet. It is still super rough.

Beta isn't expected to make much of an improvement?

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Hasselblad posted:

Early access games I purchased due to goon threads:
- Tree of Life: dead game
- Worlds Adrift: dead game
- Crowfall: Death comes in threes, but I have a shred of hope.

the death of Worlds Adrift was terribly sad

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Did tree of life really die if it was never alive in the first place

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Biowarfare posted:

Did tree of life really die if it was never alive in the first place

It was actually in active development until pretty recently, but then the devs posted on Steam that the game is dead. They did not outright say that, but it's dead.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Blackdog420 posted:

the death of Worlds Adrift was terribly sad

Such potential wasted on devs with zero vision.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I said come in! posted:

If you are already a founder you can play the "beta" right now. I leveled a guy to 30 in just a couple hours and there seems to have been progress made in the direction of making it an actual game, but while systems exist everything still seems super bare bones and missing lots of content. If it was going to be in beta another year then probably all is fine but I imagine that are try to "soft release" be end of year or something.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No. Honestly them moving it to 'beta' stage is just for marketing and to get more testers in as far as I can tell. Game is not even close to feature complete which what a real beta would be. There is going to be no difference between last week and tomorrow in regards to how the game is other than a wipe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Thank you for the heads up. This is a pretty common tactic of kickstarter games to just move to major milestones in order to manipulate more people into buying into the game. Release in alpha, once the sales dry up, move to Beta, once the sales dry up move to version 1.0 whether it really qualifies for that or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I am stupid and want to play in the beta. Here goes nothing!!!