Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Thanks for the input y’all.

The biggest reason I just didn’t pick up a journeyman when we got hers is I primarily ride mtb and have set aside about 2-2.5k total for my bikes, which was all going to go towards a new mtb until she re-found a passion for riding, just not the gnarlier stuff with me. So now I’m splitting that between a gravel-adjacent bike and probably a fun hardtail or maybe a used FS if I’m lucky. Since I’d like the majority of the budget to go towards that, I’m trying to keep the gravel bike cost down as much as I can without going *too* cheap.

I can ride my old budget 29er with her now, but I’d like something a little more suited to keeping up with her.

Edit: Lame rear end page snipe. Here's pictures of her old ride and new hotness.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Re: earlier discussion, these are the kind of people who buy Enves

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
ENVE, Zipp and Reynolds are the only brands with lifetime free crash/damage replacement.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a puncture and fixed it with a plug but should i bother doing anything further to repair it at home? it held pressure fine for like 60km and all i've done now is cut it down a bit so it's sticking out a little less. I'll put more sealant in when i can be bothered of course.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Newbie question. I got back into cycling recently but I'm using a "Diamondback Apex" that I bought from a department store nine years ago which has barely left the garage since I last moved. It probably isn't worth spending any money improving it.

I don't really want a secondhand bike, as good value as that may be, since I can't judge value or quality or safety. I don't want to risk buying something online unseen. And as much as I'd like one, e-bikes are out of my price range. Oh, and I'm in Australia, if that makes any difference.

Talking to the guy at the local bike shop, who currently has no useful stock due to coronavirus, he suggested I wanted a 'hybrid' bike (which this megathread's OP says are terrible) and recommended the Specialized Sirrus 2. Or maybe the X, but I'm loving poo poo at hills so I figure the one with more gears is probably better. The US site has that for $650. It's 50% more than I was thinking about spending, but it's affordable.

So

Are hybrids really that bad? I don't want an actual mountain bike, and a pure road bike doesn't seem great either - both due to my fitness level and where I'd like to use it.

Should I be looking for something cheaper to start with or is that a reasonable entry level? (I hadn't realised how expensive even 'normal-looking' bikes get.)

Any opinions on that specific bike recommendation?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hybrids are fine, it's just important to know their limitations. If you're planning on doing lots of cycling for exercise (in chunks of more than, say, 90 minutes at a time) I'd suggest trying out a road bike to see if you get on with it if you can get a test ride.

Bottom line is if you enjoy riding the bike and get what you want out of it and it's not injuring you or otherwise putting you in danger, then it doesn't matter what you ride.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

hemale in pain posted:

I got a puncture and fixed it with a plug but should i bother doing anything further to repair it at home? it held pressure fine for like 60km and all i've done now is cut it down a bit so it's sticking out a little less. I'll put more sealant in when i can be bothered of course.

Not unless it becomes dislodged somehow. The cut-off end will squash down pretty well over time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilJoven posted:

Sometimes the combination of chainstay length and chainline means a trim position is essentially vestigial. Seen it a few times where one of the trim positions of a perfectly set up drivetrain has little to no real effect. You should still see some movement in the mech though, even if it isn't needed.

This is my drive train right now. 48/32 front and 11-34 rear, front FD shifts perfectly without chain rub, no trim required even in big/big and small/small. I know it can't last forever so I'm making an effort to notice and enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm considering dropping to 46/32 front and 11-36 rear to enable some more loaded touring/bikepacking type stuff. I'm too scared to spin out at 48/11 any more so it doesn't feel like I'd be giving up anything on the top end. Haven't decided if I'd hate having a little wider spacing in the middle of the cassette. You can still get 11 speed 110 BCD 46t chainrings right?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
46/36 is still the most common CX double and a lot of 'adventure bikes' now with doubles are 46/30 so I don't think 46t ring availability is going anywhere for a while.

Also during the gravel event I did last weekend a ton of people running 1x were extremely envious of my 2x setup, especially on the last few climbs. I'm pretty happy I didn't go with a 1x setup on my bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Re: earlier discussion, these are the kind of people who buy Enves

You seem to really care how other people spend money on bikes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

Not unless it becomes dislodged somehow. The cut-off end will squash down pretty well over time.

Cool, last few times i've had to use plugs the tyres been a write off because the rip was so big but this one was just a chunk of glass on the verge so the tear wasn't so massive. Quite glad it worked!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quite A Tool posted:

Thanks for the input y’all.

The biggest reason I just didn’t pick up a journeyman when we got hers is I primarily ride mtb and have set aside about 2-2.5k total for my bikes, which was all going to go towards a new mtb until she re-found a passion for riding, just not the gnarlier stuff with me. So now I’m splitting that between a gravel-adjacent bike and probably a fun hardtail or maybe a used FS if I’m lucky. Since I’d like the majority of the budget to go towards that, I’m trying to keep the gravel bike cost down as much as I can without going *too* cheap.

I can ride my old budget 29er with her now, but I’d like something a little more suited to keeping up with her.

Edit: Lame rear end page snipe. Here's pictures of her old ride and new hotness.

wtf that Grand Record owns, bikes with Vitus tubes don't show up that often

if it fits slap some Paselas on and you're good to go :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 29, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

TobinHatesYou posted:

ENVE, Zipp and Reynolds are the only brands with lifetime free crash/damage replacement.

For road wheels. Santa Cruz, We Are One, and Nobl offer similar policies for mountain rims. Ibis has a seven-year warranty for rims damaged during riding. I went through the process with Reynolds, and it was easy. I wouldn’t buy carbon wheels without a similar policy.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 29, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

a foolish pianist posted:

Pretty close to new:

Birthday present kit from my partner. It looks like a background matte painting from a 70s scifi film.

Ooo, which path is this? Is this Arabia Mountain bike trail?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Coredump posted:

Ooo, which path is this? Is this Arabia Mountain bike trail?

Yep! This is South Rockdale Community Park, about five miles south of Panola mountain. The stretch between Arabia and Panola has been super crowded for the last couple of months, so I've been sticking to the less-traveled southern half of the trail.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 29, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

a foolish pianist posted:

Yep! This is South Rockdale Community Park, about five miles south of Panola mountain.

I need to get back over there. I didn’t make it that far south as I started at Stonecrest Library. Pro tip: don’t start at Stonecrest Library as it’s all downhill from the start so that means it’s a climb all the way back.

Carrolton has a 16 mile path around the city that is really nice. Only 30 feet where you’re on road. I say it worth the drive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are there any good-performing tanwalls like the Vitorria Corsa that won't puncture as often as the Corsa, or will most puncture-resisting training tires come with blackwall? In 23mm/25mm, since I don't think my bike will fit anything wider.

The Corsa Control seems nice but $$$

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 29, 2020

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Are there any good-performing tanwalls like the Vitorria Corsa that won't puncture as often as the Corsa, or will most puncture-resisting training tires come with blackwall? In 23mm/25mm, since I don't think my bike will fit anything wider.

The Corsa Control seems nice but $$$

You are in luck, Continental GP5000 has a limited edition tanwall. https://www.bikeradar.com/news/tan-wall-gp5000/

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

My road bike recently started creaking when I turn the handlebars too far off-axis. The creaking sound seems to be coming from the fork/headset. Googling around looks like greasing everything in the headset is a good starting point, but I haven't messed with my headset before.

This video makes it look pretty easy to disassemble everything, lube it up, and put it back together. I don't have a torque wrench, and I don't have the grease right now either. I have a threadless stem like in the video, so that's not a concern.

My questions for the thread:

- Is disassembling the headset and greasing everything a reasonable starting point? Is there something I should check beforehand?
- Is there anything I need to be specifically careful not to gently caress up if I try to take this apart?
- What grease do you recommend/what do I ask for at my LBS? I should probably get something on hand if I want to try to do my bike maintenance myself.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

man in the eyeball hat posted:

Is disassembling the headset and greasing everything a reasonable starting point? Is there something I should check beforehand?

One thing you can do is to loosen off the stem and the cap, wiggle everything around a bit, then tighten down the cap and tighten down the stem again (in that order). It might be that things have just loosened up a bit.

- Is there anything I need to be specifically careful not to gently caress up if I try to take this apart?

Make sure you are very careful to note the order that everything comes off in and not to lose anything. This may sound obvious, but it's one of those things to be super mindful of.

- What grease do you recommend/what do I ask for at my LBS? I should probably get something on hand if I want to try to do my bike maintenance myself.

Get whatever, as long as it's suitable for your frame type (some aren't suitable for carbon). I've used Park Tool polylube. It's fine. I've used Shimano grease. It's fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

My road bike recently started creaking when I turn the handlebars too far off-axis. The creaking sound seems to be coming from the fork/headset. Googling around looks like greasing everything in the headset is a good starting point, but I haven't messed with my headset before.

My questions for the thread:

- Is disassembling the headset and greasing everything a reasonable starting point? Is there something I should check beforehand?

I'd double check that the creak isn't coming from any of the cable stops near the head tube. Decently easier check to grease those and see if the creak goes away / changes.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Wife has a Fuji Finest road bike and wants to put some "adventure" gearing on it. The bike has a 50/34 x 11-32 drivetrain right now. She isn't ever going to be spinning out at 30mph and would like a few more gears on the bottom end. I think the bike has a pressfit BB86 bottom bracket. Can someone recommend an inexpensive crankset we can put on with something like 46/30 rings?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^
I just bought an IRD Lobo that does that. The OE rings are a bit in short supply, but it is a 110/74, so lots of non-IRD options.
Its a 24mm axle, so you can use all shimano BBs. It is a 73mm crank, so there may be some chainline issues.

I bet andel has a square taper option that's even cheaper.

Imagine living somewhere where it rains for more than 60 days a year.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

nm posted:

Imagine living somewhere where it rains for more than 60 days a year.

109.6 :(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm a Bicycle newbie and i got two questions:

1) Anyone in here got any experience with dog trailers?
2) And with Bicycle Dog leashes?

No im not going to try to Bike cross country.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

kimbo305 posted:

I'd double check that the creak isn't coming from any of the cable stops near the head tube. Decently easier check to grease those and see if the creak goes away / changes.

Yeah this, I had a creak from where a cable entered the frame, I'd always notice it as I was carrying the bike and the handlebars turned fully one way

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

213 lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

37 :ca:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It can snow here from October to April. I hate the cold.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Coredump posted:

I need to get back over there. I didn’t make it that far south as I started at Stonecrest Library. Pro tip: don’t start at Stonecrest Library as it’s all downhill from the start so that means it’s a climb all the way back.

Carrolton has a 16 mile path around the city that is really nice. Only 30 feet where you’re on road. I say it worth the drive.

As a new ‘rona cyclist who’s still pretty out of shape and working on my range and ability to get up hills, any suggestions for easy sections of the Arabia trail? I only recently learned that it exists and is only a 15 min drive from my place and have been planning on going to check it out.

I have a couple friends in Carrollton who’ve said their greenway trail is great but it’s a bigger time commitment to go down there and I probably won’t until I feel confident in my ability to do the full loop.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wtf that Grand Record owns, bikes with Vitus tubes don't show up that often

if it fits slap some Paselas on and you're good to go :colbert:

Oh trust me if I could I would, I love that thing. She’s got a couple inches on me though and I’ve done some shorter rides (~10mi) on it in the past and it’s just a bit too big. It’s been awhile so I may give it another go but I suspect even with the seat slammed down it’s not gonna be great.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

rain actually owns because your bike gets cleaned and you get cooled off while riding

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lies. All lies. Filthy (literally) stinkin (especially when it doesn't rain long enough and actually makes it MORE humid) lies.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

kimbo305 posted:

I think this might be the culprit. I held onto one of the the cable stops/housing and felt the creak in addition to hearing it. The other cable stop I wasn't able to feel the creaking on, so it seems like an issue with the one cable stop. That seems much easier to fix, and also much less pressing than an internal problem with the headset.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lawen posted:

As a new ‘rona cyclist who’s still pretty out of shape and working on my range and ability to get up hills, any suggestions for easy sections of the Arabia trail? I only recently learned that it exists and is only a 15 min drive from my place and have been planning on going to check it out.

I have a couple friends in Carrollton who’ve said their greenway trail is great but it’s a bigger time commitment to go down there and I probably won’t until I feel confident in my ability to do the full loop.

I would suggest making the trip to the Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway if you can. Its 7.5 miles one way, shaded, and very flat. Very nice trail to bike on and build some stamina and legs. For Arabia Mountain I'm not so sure as it seemed to have decent elevation changes the whole route I rode, but nothing extremely steep. You could try to start out around Alexander lake and explore from there. Also there's the Silver Comet which is still a commitment to get over there as well. But Silver Comet is incredibly flat for the most part and will let you work on riding for longer time and getting experience with eating during a ride.

Edit: I might be making Arabia Mountain sound harder than it really is. Its definitely worth checking out and I've found that stamina from biking comes pretty quick.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Yes a good chance. My high and low limits are set correctly and I don't know what's happening in between there.

Ok that's sorted correctly now.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Lawen posted:

That trail is mostly up and down - there aren't really many flat spots. Here's the elevation from my ride from Rockdale Community Park to the Monastery to Panola mountain and back, about 1500 feet of climbing over about 18 miles:

The stretches immediately around South Rockdale Community Park and toward the monastery aren't too terrible, since they're mostly along the river, but you'll definitely be on some hills.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Your picture reminds me. Garmin being down almost a full week now is really putting a hamper on my life. If I can't record my rides and make numbers go up why bother?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Coredump posted:

Your picture reminds me. Garmin being down almost a full week now is really putting a hamper on my life. If I can't record my rides and make numbers go up why bother?!

As practice for when the numbers and kudos are back!