Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I’m really debating on wether I want to build a high end gaming PC, just for this game. I haven’t been interested in PC gaming for many years now. I don’t even have a monitor.

But I bought MSFS2000 in the year 2000. It just looked too ugly. I knew someday it would look realistic and it would have most, if not all the world in the game. 20 years later, it’s a reality. I just don’t know if any game is worth $1,500. There’s really no other PC exclusives that i’m interested in, unless an MMO is coming out that’s as good as WoW was when it came out.

Wait until it's on XCloud, play it there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Seems like my x52 Pro has no default bindings? Atleast my friend said his different stick showed up with bindings immediately.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ChocNitty posted:

I’m really debating on wether I want to build a high end gaming PC, just for this game. I haven’t been interested in PC gaming for many years now. I don’t even have a monitor.

But I bought MSFS2000 in the year 2000. It just looked too ugly. I knew someday it would look realistic and it would have most, if not all the world in the game. 20 years later, it’s a reality. I just don’t know if any game is worth $1,500. There’s really no other PC exclusives that i’m interested in, unless an MMO is coming out that’s as good as WoW was when it came out.

Look at it as building it so you can play this game in VR

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
OK, I did some playing around. Instructions for killing the publisher ads:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\logos
2. Click Download on this page: https://github.com/esc0rtd3w/blank-intro-videos/blob/master/blank-0.2-sec.m4v
3. Create three copies of that file which replace the existing videos in this folder. Remember to change the extension from .m4v to .mp4

This doesn't kill the WWise screen since that's just a texture but it gets you most of the way there. It's probably a loose DDS file that you can hunt down and replace with a black square if it really offends you (everything is a loose file in this game, probably a major contributing factor to the game's startup time since Windows itself is atrociously slow at opening lots of little files)

The start up time is really bad as it is, it didn't need a bunch of additional unskippable crap on top of that.

EDIT: Edit again because I might as well:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\html_ui\Pages\Logos\Logos.js

Change the msec timeout at the bottom of this file or replace the whole file with

code:
Coherent.on("StartLogos", function() { Coherent.trigger("END_LOGOS") });
I haven't tried either but at least one of those ought to work. The whole intro and menu UI is JavaScript and HTML because of course it is.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 18, 2020

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Can’t seem to fly level with my hotas x. I wonder if it’s fooked or I’m doing something stupid.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

saber45 posted:

Can’t seem to fly level with my hotas x. I wonder if it’s fooked or I’m doing something stupid.

Are you trimming, checked dead zone?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Training mission 6 "First Solo Flight", I can't pass it no matter what. Every time I land, she says "Hmm, not what I was looking for, let's go again". I can manage the first two left turns alright, but it's the third left turn that doesn't make any sense. I wait until I've passed the runway on my left a little, then initiate the turn, but the "turn left at base" objective stays on.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I had the same issue and fixed it by switching to the Windows Offline option in the sound settings. The default Azure option maybe uses The Cloud™ for speech synthesis, and The Cloud™ is maybe a little overworked today...

thanks this works but lol at how much worse these voices are, hopefully The Cloud™ will catch up soon

would be cool if you could use a second monitor for all the widgets

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Are you trimming, checked dead zone?

Yeah trimming seems to be a fight to stay level all the time and dead zone is 5%. It seems fine in the windows joystick settings so it’s strange.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gonna learn to fly a real plane so i can fly down and punch whichever motherfucker made their ridiculously slow install process play this grating looping music the entire loving time even when out of focus

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Qubee posted:

Training mission 6 "First Solo Flight", I can't pass it no matter what. Every time I land, she says "Hmm, not what I was looking for, let's go again". I can manage the first two left turns alright, but it's the third left turn that doesn't make any sense. I wait until I've passed the runway on my left a little, then initiate the turn, but the "turn left at base" objective stays on.

I had problems with this too, keep flying past the air strip further than you might think you'd have to before starting your turn. I don't even think I was turning when it marked that as complete and then changed to "Begin landing procedure" or something like that.

Wheeee posted:

gonna learn to fly a real plane so i can fly down and punch whichever motherfucker made their ridiculously slow install process play this grating looping music the entire loving time even when out of focus
:siren:

You guys don't have to listen to the music, right click your volume settings in Windows and go to the Volume Mixer, turn down the volume for the game/launcher.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

saber45 posted:

Yeah trimming seems to be a fight to stay level all the time and dead zone is 5%. It seems fine in the windows joystick settings so it’s strange.

Make sure there isn’t some extra widget on your controller that’s mapped to a redundant axis. Like, I used to always find in DCS that the toe brakes on my pedals would default to controlling my pitch and stuff, and the default position would just send me careening all over the place.

Does your controller have like a little wheel or slider that could be giving some extra, unwanted input?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

explosivo posted:

:siren:

You guys don't have to listen to the music, right click your volume settings in Windows and go to the Volume Mixer, turn down the volume for the game/launcher.

you know, given that i had to gently caress around assigning ownership and permissions to control the Windows Store install directory and get their piece of poo poo app to allow me to install to a different drive than my OS, this solution just feels very apt for a Microsoft product

thanks

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Qubee posted:

If you turn on the assistance that shows you the rings in the sky it might give a clue as to what it wants. Otherwise the tutorial missions are a bit half-baked, honestly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wheeee posted:

you know, given that i had to gently caress around assigning ownership and permissions to control the Windows Store install directory and get their piece of poo poo app to allow me to install to a different drive than my OS, this solution just feels very apt for a Microsoft product

thanks

yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't suck that they don't have a mute button on the installer like even the worst CD Key Generators had but at least there's a way to mute it through windows.

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

explosivo posted:

My system is taunting me by crashing MSFS every time I try to right click on the volume settings to mute this infernal looping music while downloading.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
so its downloading the 90gbs.... is it really 90gbs or only that when its uncompressed? Is there a way i can check how fast its going cos I dunno if it'll be done by tomorrow at this rate!

Its only done like 3gb in 30mins

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The good news is for me at least, it sped up a lot at about the 50% mark because it went from many small files to bigger 2gb files.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Arsonide posted:

I have to say, OnAir looks more detailed (and more up to date) than FSEconomy. What is the catch, other than money?

I used the trial a couple months ago, it worked well apart from the interface being a bit laggy. It automatically recognized every plane I had, even weird freeware stuff so you can buy/rent whatever plane you have in your sim instead of hoping some grognard put it in a database.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I don't know if my expectations for my system are too low or whatever, but I set it to "ultra" during the initial setup and it seems to perform really well. I may just be used to what a piece of poo poo DCS is.

Time to find the old Saitek yoke!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
My official Flight Simulator folder is still "Chucky" in Steam\common.

Is the folder supposed to be named that? The game works, btw.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
First training mission. The instructor has apparently decided that I am unfit to become a pilot, before even handing over the controls.
She keeps telling me to enjoy the view...every 10th second.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Qubee posted:

I made this so people can fly like Real Pilots

The pattern is the same for all aircraft, but the airspeeds and throttle settings will be different.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 18, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
how did they build the most beautiful game ever and not have a "hide ui" button

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

My official Flight Simulator folder is still "Chucky" in Steam\common.

Is the folder supposed to be named that? The game works, btw.

Same. Might be the engine code name or something.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
does anyone have a guide or something for how the hell to use my PS4 controller with flight sim 2020? I plugged it in and it was detected and worked immediately, but there is zero indication in the control settings which button is which and I have no idea how to do things like adjust my trim. that "basic controls" window you open with ctrl+c also just shows a big question mark over a joystick :shrug:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

punished milkman posted:

does anyone have a guide or something for how the hell to use my PS4 controller with flight sim 2020? I plugged it in and it was detected and worked immediately, but there is zero indication in the control settings which button is which and I have no idea how to do things like adjust my trim. that "basic controls" window you open with ctrl+c also just shows a big question mark over a joystick :shrug:

I’d recommend using something like DS4Windows that’ll make Windows think it’s an Xbox controller.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I installed this to my non-OS drive so it's in I:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulatorsomethingsomething but when I launch, it wants to download game content to AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages on my C: (Windows) drive. Why isn't this defaulting to the install path?

Well, when I check that LocalCache folder on C:, it appears to have a bunch of symlinked folders... which I assume are directing back to my I: drive.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
WOW. That is my assessment so far.

I took my 172 up from a small airport near me and did a tour of my house and then the Orlando parks. Then I flew back to the airport and nailed the landing.

I had a huge grin the whole time because of how real everything felt. I could recognize roads, stores, landmarks, builds, everything looked great.

It just feels super close to real flying.

Some screenshots:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

For those having problems with slow download speeds, you can try tweaking this:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/window-auto-tuning-in-windows-10

Friend had way downloads and it shot up to ISP limits after twiddling with these settings (don't ask me details, I didn't have a problem with it).

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cool game, automatically detected my old extreme 3D pro. Unfortunately the day has finally come when my venerable i5-3570 is inadequate to a task, I'm getting pretty frequent spikes of lag with 100% CPU usage and 0% GPU usage. Never thought my GTX970 would outlast my CPU.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zero One posted:

WOW. That is my assessment so far.

I took my 172 up from a small airport near me and did a tour of my house and then the Orlando parks. Then I flew back to the airport and nailed the landing.

I had a huge grin the whole time because of how real everything felt. I could recognize roads, stores, landmarks, builds, everything looked great.

It just feels super close to real flying.

Some screenshots:

Wow, these are awesome.

Does your overall graphics quality affect your ground texture quality or is it purely based on internet speed?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Enos Shenk posted:

Protip for anyone else with the Thrustmaster T16000 stick/throttle set. The game default maps the little analog stick on the throttle to look around and does a poor job of it. So I was going nuts trying to figure out why my cockpit camera would just slooowwwwly drift to point straight up. The control editing is...Special. You have to click an offending control, click clear, then click "Validate". Why the gently caress they didn't just go with "OK" or "Update" is beyond me.

Big difference after removing the dumb default controls like twist-rudder (I have pedals, game) and that look around analog stick. The default rudder pedals sensitivity is ludicrously high as well, like I dialed it down to -25% before it felt vaguely usable.

So far I've just tooled around my city. The generated scenery is impressive as gently caress. Easy to spot my house from the air, and the downtown buildings were even modelled correctly. Flew a short hop to a nearby town in the Bonanza, felt good once I got the controls defucked and TrackIR decided to work.

I haven't dared a flight around a big city yet, the game chugs a bit loading stuff now and then just flying around Indiana. I should probably consider an upgrade.

Thanks for this, I have the same setup so I appreciate knowing this before I start tweaking my controls tonight.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Re:fuel mixing

Sagebrush posted:

You adjust it to get the best engine power as the aircraft climbs. As the air gets thinner, you need to reduce the fuel flow to keep the air:fuel ratio optimized.

Thank you! Will refer back to this as I get comfier turning off assistances.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

No idea what’s going on but this stutters, freezes and crashes a lot and my joystick pitches up all the time. Kinda glad I didn’t pay for this.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

AndrewP posted:

Wow, these are awesome.

Does your overall graphics quality affect your ground texture quality or is it purely based on internet speed?

I'm not sure but for reference I'm using these recommendations from page 264:

quote:

Display Mode: Fullscreen
Full Screen Resolution: Native Monitor Resolution
HDR10: *As desired*
Global Rendering Quality: Custom

V-Sync: Off
Render Scaling: 100
Anti Aliasing: TAA
Terrain Level of Detail: 100
Tessellation Quality: See settings analysis
Buildings: Ultra, Medium if necessary
Trees: Medium
Grass and Bushes: High, Off if desired
Objects Level of Detail: As desired / Not benchmarked.
Volumetric Clouds: Ultra, High / Medium if necessary
Texture Resolution: Ultra, (VRAM Permitting)
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Texture Supersampling: 4x4
Texture Synthesis: As desired / Not benchmarked
Water Waves: Medium
Shadow Maps: 1536
Terrain Shadows: 512
Contact Shadows: Ultra
Windshield Effects: High
Ambient Occlusion: High, Medium / Low if necessary
Reflections: 1080p - Ultra, 1440p - Ultra, high if desired, 2160p - Ultra, high / medium if desired
Light Shafts: Ultra
Bloom: On
Depth of Field: Ultra
Lens Correction: Off
Lens Flare: On
Use Generic Plane Models: Off

AI Airliners Traffic Density: 50 (0 if required)

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

saber45 posted:

No idea what’s going on but this stutters, freezes and crashes a lot and my joystick pitches up all the time. Kinda glad I didn’t pay for this.

The former is likely the backend infrastructure struggling to serve up textures & ground data on day 1, and the latter is likely you not trimming the plane correctly

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this is a pretty good short video for learning about mixtures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDZSFxgLx4

the rich of peak is ideal but im not sure if for the basic planes that really matters, i dont think they are modeled to overheat and obviously you're not worrying about fouling spark plugs either. you can pretty safely just lean by ear in msfs2020 by leaning it until you hear the rpm come up

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When all is said and done I really want to know how many people play this game and never learn what trimming is, and how long they play for without knowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
VR probably isn't worth waiting for, this looks too cool. I bit the bullet and can't wait to play in *checks notes* 18 hours!?