Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

TobinHatesYou posted:

OzCycle is an idiot and uses roughly 10x too much PTFE. You can actually just use straight food grade paraffin and the performance will be within <1W of wax with any amount of lubricious micronized solids.

That sounds better, but I already have 3lbs of wax. I also have the molton wax, but I don't like that it has Molybdenum disulfide, which leaves black crap around.
I really like the double boiler technique, I think the crock pot thing takes up too much room and requires a separate crock pot just for your chain. This just requires me to have a old pot that fits in a pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I added some beeswax for shits and giggles and also it smells way better than plain paraffin wax.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ciaphas posted:

It took an hour and a lot of swearing but I got my (mechanical) disc brakes all dialed in the other day. It's nice to be able to stop on command again :v:

Anyone else in here with discs, how often do you end up loving around with those things because they loosened/got squeaky/whatever else?

If you have BB7s, this video WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

Avid BB7 brake setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasGJFtgq0A

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I bought the first guy's recommendation because it was cheap and didn't involve a crockpot.

New problem is that the seem on my rim appears to be where my tubeless tires are leaking and will only hold pressure about like 10-30 psi while riding. Gonna add some more sealant and see how it works, but is there something special that needs to be done here?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mauser posted:

I bought the first guy's recommendation because it was cheap and didn't involve a crockpot.

New problem is that the seem on my rim appears to be where my tubeless tires are leaking and will only hold pressure about like 10-30 psi while riding. Gonna add some more sealant and see how it works, but is there something special that needs to be done here?

What seam are we talking about here?

Usually where air escapes on the inner edge of a rim isn’t actually the source of the leak. It’s just the path of least resistance for air that has already leaked into the hollow cavity of the rim. Use an appropriate amount of sealant (and the right sealant, Orange Seal) and slosh it around good. If that doesn’t address the leak, then redo your rim tape.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Rim tape is brand new and was holding perfectly until I put it on the rack and drove 150 miles. The seam is where the two pieces of metal meet and come together on the rim and there's a sliver of a gap between the two ends. When I got to the destination it looked like all the sealant had blown its load, but let me seat it again and see if anything pops and then fill it up again.

P.S. I got the orange stuff already as a recommendation from the thread

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VideoGameVet posted:

Other than his recipe for centering the pad range over the rotor, I don't know how that's much different from what anyone else was doing. The whole keep the caliper flush to the fork seems both obvious and tricky to get right when dealing with the conical washers.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mauser posted:

Rim tape is brand new and was holding perfectly until I put it on the rack and drove 150 miles. The seam is where the two pieces of metal meet and come together on the rim and there's a sliver of a gap between the two ends. When I got to the destination it looked like all the sealant had blown its load, but let me seat it again and see if anything pops and then fill it up again.

Oh, where the rim is sleeved. Hrmmm. Still it doesn’t seem like it should be an issue if the joint is covered mostly by tape, and the sides are covered by the bead.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 2, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

VideoGameVet posted:

I was really hoping this was going to be like the canti brake video a while back where he took it off and hucked it in the trash.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Mauser posted:

Did you set it up tubeless and immediately put it on your car and drive?

I find that sometimes after a new tubeless setup, I actually need to go for a ride for the sealant to plug up the bead and any other small holes. I guess the constant sloshing helps it coat everything nicely.

I could see that the sealant puddled near the seam and kept leaking out? Or got into the rim and traveled to the seam as Tobin said.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

This was after I had set it up and given it a 2.5 hour ride on a very hot day with zero issues and then put it back in the cool basement. So it would have experienced some pretty extreme temperature shifts between basement and then exposed to pretty high heat again on the day of the drive, but otherwise should have been seated I think. Like I said, I'll fill it up again and see how it goes.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I was really hoping this was going to be like the canti brake video a while back where he took it off and hucked it in the trash.
Would you like me to make a video on how to service sticky hydro sram levers?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CopperHound posted:

Yes please

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kimbo305 posted:

Other than his recipe for centering the pad range over the rotor, I don't know how that's much different from what anyone else was doing. The whole keep the caliper flush to the fork seems both obvious and tricky to get right when dealing with the conical washers.

It's exactly the alignment that I WASN'T DOING RIGHT. I was doing that visually because this is the first bike I've had with discs.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Tubeless tire is holding air at full pressure now, so problem solved until it causes a problem again.

I need to replace my bar tape on my gravel bike soon and the previous stuff was whatever they sell at REI which seemed to get cuts and gashes really easy from I don't even know what. Are there any materials that I should be looking at if I want it to be really durable? Also, it has to be a sort of lightish blue.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bicycle Maintenance and Repair Megathread: problem solved until it causes a problem again

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I've never had an issue adjusting BB7s. I even have to remove them to fit them in the S&S box.
They're fine unless you don't have a torx bit or a warped/bent rotor.

Maybe this is just a decade of adjusting parallelogram shimano v-brakes, but they're easy. It isn't like they're loving cantis or something. I do find them a bit more annoying than some to actually mount new pads in, but that's it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

Pitching those in the garbage might be satisfying but shipping them off for warranty and then selling the new ones they send as replacements (don't use em, they'll fail too, even the 'redesigned' ones) gets you money for actual good bike parts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What do they sell for nowadays?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I got $180 for the pair. They retail for $240 cdn.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

Pitching those in the garbage might be satisfying but shipping them off for warranty and then selling the new ones they send as replacements (don't use em, they'll fail too, even the 'redesigned' ones) gets you money for actual good bike parts.

Woah look at this guy ruining the joke.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Does Sram care about the provenance of their levers? 'Cause I got all sorts of brakes that get unloaded at the bike coop.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm p sure at this point they're so used to replacing their trash you could fill a garbage bag with SRAM levers and a return address, throw em over the fence of their HQ, and they'd ship you replacements.

They come with stickers you can put on your bike that work really well as warning labels to let everyone around you know that your brakes are either going quit or just lock up at any given moment.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I like my Codes. I hated my Guides. I need to bleed my Rivals. That’s my SRAM brake story.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CopperHound posted:

Does Sram care about the provenance of their levers? 'Cause I got all sorts of brakes that get unloaded at the bike coop.

SRAM doesn't seem to ask questions about broken stuff.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nm posted:

SRAM doesn't seem to ask questions about broken stuff.
please don’t leak their QA memos

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My guides worked perfectly fine for years and then the front started sticking in hot weather. Rebuilt the lever and it's like new again. It seems like the issue was some sort of degradation of the plastic MC piston or the seals, maybe from not changing the fluid enough.

I definitely notice the rsc is better and more powerful than the guide Rs on my new bike, I assume because of the linkage between the lever and MC.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Why would you rebuild when you can get a new one?
Rebuilding is for Shimano or campy.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

think of the environmental toll of sram having to ship infinite replacement levers and brakes to anyone who ever bought them, forever

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I just put on my first set of Continental GP5000 tubeless, now drinking beer to ease the pain in my thumbs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

I just put on my first set of Continental GP5000 tubeless, now drinking beer to ease the pain in my thumbs.

I bought a bead jack after doing the same. I decided $15 was worth never doing that again.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

:thunk:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, time for a new hanger.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yeah, time for a new hanger.

I took it apart so i take a few pictures and yeah.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you have alternate rides, I say give it a go on unbending that one. But take a pic of it side on to see which one you need to buy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

If you have alternate rides, I say give it a go on unbending that one. But take a pic of it side on to see which one you need to buy.

Oh i did, i just didnt post them because its boring.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Clean your drivetrain while you’re at it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

Those are some massive thumbs if you did without levers.

I put on a set with tubes to set in the tubeless rim tape. The next day after I removed the tubes, the tires had stretched and basically fell back into place with very little effort. It's hilarious how much of a difference it was.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

FogHelmut posted:

Those are some massive thumbs if you did without levers.

I put on a set with tubes to set in the tubeless rim tape. The next day after I removed the tubes, the tires had stretched and basically fell back into place with very little effort. It's hilarious how much of a difference it was.

Just one lever, but I did cheat and hold the tyre in a vice because I was chasing the tyre round the wheel, the only other tubeless tyres I have fitted were Giant’s Gavia but they had been already been fitted, the gp5000s did seat with just a track pump but the Gavias always needed my compressor. I think if I hadn’t been lazy I could have removed the discs and put the wheels on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Oh i did, i just didnt post them because its boring.

Pretty sure that’s a 25:
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-25.html
But only in stock at their ripoff rival:
https://derailleurhanger.com/product/derailleur-hanger-25/

A hanger is one of the rare places where I feel like a weaker product would be ok/preferred.

If you want to sort through:
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers.html