Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Ok real question. I'm as big a Brady hater as anyone under the sun. But did he really look cooked yesterday outside of a couple of bad picks? I was annoyed that he threw a couple of perfect balls on the first drive while facing zero pressure. Same with his touchdown to a wide open Howard. So his good plays seemed stupidly easy and not indicative of much. But at the same time, I don't remember too many plays where he straight up looked like garbage, didn't see an open receiver, couldn't move to his spot to throw, etc., the kind of poo poo that you'd expect from a 57 year old QB. Please enlighten my dumb rear end, thanks and gently caress T*m Br*dy namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Ok real question. I'm as big a Brady hater as anyone under the sun. But did he really look cooked yesterday outside of a couple of bad picks? I was annoyed that he threw a couple of perfect balls on the first drive while facing zero pressure. Same with his touchdown to a wide open Howard. So his good plays seemed stupidly easy and not indicative of much. But at the same time, I don't remember too many plays where he straight up looked like garbage, didn't see an open receiver, couldn't move to his spot to throw, etc., the kind of poo poo that you'd expect from a 57 year old QB. Please enlighten my dumb rear end, thanks and gently caress T*m Br*dy namaste

He had a lot of really bad passes. Brady rendered Troy Aikman speechless after halftime with just how far off he was missing wide open guys.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

He was “meh” and there’s like a dozen different conclusions you can draw from that. Need to see more.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Brady looked like he dropped off more and more as the game progressed which is in line with how he's played the last 2 seasons.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering, should we count out tired-arm Tom?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Brady wasn't the worst qb that played yesterday by far (mitch, wentz, baker were) but he frequently made weird and errant overthrows or just straight up bad throws that youd expect him to make. He was middling after a first quarter that had every patriots fan swooning. Its hard to say whether his issues were all him being old, the oline being bad, the saints front 7 being decent, or/and early season rust.

But what you should take away is that brady bad, hes going 0-16.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He had a lot of really bad passes. Brady rendered Troy Aikman speechless after halftime with just how far off he was missing wide open guys.

That sounds like a win-win situation.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, but to be fair, Troy Aikman could have been rendered speachless by somebody accidentally shining a bright light into the booth

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Before getting too excited about a season of terrible Brady ball, remember that he is coming into a new offense with new receivers. Sometimes the timing is just off at the beginning of the season.

I expect that offense to carry Brady to a 4000 yard 25 TD season at least. Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, OJ Howard, and Gronk with Arian’s offense would give anyone trouble regardless of who the QB is.

Also Brady will get to pad his stats against the Panthers secondary twice this year.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm not looking this up but I think 5 of the Ravens draft picks from this year played yesterday, 3 of them as starters. Queen had a forced fumble and a sack, Dobbins had 2 tds, Phillips started at RG, Duvernay had a(?) catch, Proche returned some punts, and Harrison played some at LB.

e: ok I guess Dobbins wasn't technically the starting RB but whatever

Apologies if you were already forced to read this in N/V but I thought I posted it here

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The bad passes from Brady weren't because he wasn't on the same page as his receivers unless he somehow thinks that they're all 20 feet tall.

Both of his interceptions were his fault. The first was one of those passes that just sails on him and the other was him throwing behind an open receiver.

His passes look like someone who has lost some strength so he's having to put everything he's got into them and that has ruined his accuracy.

I thought he'd make it to game 4 before he started noodling everything, but he didn't make it to half time in game 1. Brady is done.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Apologies if you were already forced to read this in N/V but I thought I posted it here

it says a lot about how terrible our society is that none of these players were used last year

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

His passing skills looked the same as they have since 2018. I think the real problem - which was totally predictable - is that he and his receivers are not making the same reads. You saw it on the first interception where he expected Evans to keep running and instead he stopped and turned early - I think Arians said that it was Brady who made the wrong read on that play. Whenever Brady has had a supporting cast he doesn't trust he's looked incredibly unsteady and starts doing poo poo like putting more air on his deep passes to avoid INTs because he has no trust that the target will be where the ball is supposed to go. I don't think there's any easy fix other than time and practice.

None of this should be a surprise. Switching to a new team with a brand new cast in a new offense was always going to be a difficult transition for Brady to make, and on top of that he literally picked the worst year possible. This is kind of what I was expecting for the first month.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Brady cannot fail, he can only be failed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1305305874450149377?s=19

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

really queer Christmas posted:

Brady cannot fail, he can only be failed.

Naw, I'm not saying that. He failed at picking up the offense and making the same reads yesterday. That's all on him. But I don't think going all "hurr hurr he's cooked!!" is particularly accurate. That said, he's not playing in the patty cake AFCE anymore and the Bucs can ill afford to spend the first quarter of the season waiting for him to get his poo poo straightened out.

Also Week 1, National Overreaction Week. How a team looks in September usually has very little bearing on how it looks by the time you get to November.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The steelers and the ravens now both have linebackers that I coveted playing well for them and I am super bitter about it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

The Pats offense is fine (probably) as long as their QB can play like a tank and not die and their 34 year old receiver stays healthy. N'Keal Harry was the only other WR to catch a pass, and the #2 WR by snapcount, someone named Damiere Byrd didn't have a pass thrown to him.

He'll do well to stay hull down in an ambush and relocate quickly after firing his main gun.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

A.o.D. posted:

He'll do well to stay hull down in an ambush and relocate quickly after firing his main gun.

:laugh:

After like five recent pages of tank chat over there, I had to make sure I wasn’t still reading the MilHist thread.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not looking this up but I think 5 of the Ravens draft picks from this year played yesterday, 3 of them as starters. Queen had a forced fumble and a sack, Dobbins had 2 tds, Phillips started at RG, Duvernay had a(?) catch, Proche returned some punts, and Harrison played some at LB.

e: ok I guess Dobbins wasn't technically the starting RB but whatever

Yeah that was a very pleasant surprise - Tyre Phillips started and played the entire game at RG. Still waiting for the all-22 to drop but from what I could tell he looked pretty solid. The line as a whole wasn't amazing, everyone had a few plays where they got beat bad. Fortunately LJ doesn't require the most pristine pocket, but they really didn't get the run game going much.

Harrison played a lot more than I expected, but LJ Fort is better at this point and had a hell of a game himself.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't think Brady is 100% washed up yet, but since someone brought up Gronk he is definitely cooked and then some. In his last year, and maybe the one before that, in NE he was basically finished and like 95% of the time he was just some guy named Robert instead of GRONK. Watching him now is just sad, he needs to get taken out back like old yeller

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Nodoze posted:

I don't think Brady is 100% washed up yet, but since someone brought up Gronk he is definitely cooked and then some. In his last year, and maybe the one before that, in NE he was basically finished and like 95% of the time he was just some guy named Robert instead of GRONK. Watching him now is just sad, he needs to get taken out back like old yeller

The only way that Gronk can go out is like Slurms McKenzie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

just like all the other old people from the midwest, tom brady has chosen to die in florida

but he's from SF

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

it says a lot about how terrible our society is that none of these players were used last year

*nods*

AndrewP posted:

Yeah that was a very pleasant surprise - Tyre Phillips started and played the entire game at RG. Still waiting for the all-22 to drop but from what I could tell he looked pretty solid. The line as a whole wasn't amazing, everyone had a few plays where they got beat bad. Fortunately LJ doesn't require the most pristine pocket, but they really didn't get the run game going much.

Harrison played a lot more than I expected, but LJ Fort is better at this point and had a hell of a game himself.

Yeah I expect the OL to be a work in progress with Skura getting back up to speed and Phillips trying to fill in the Yanda shaped hole...hopefully it progresses before the next game though. Dobbins was my training camp pick for "this dude is going to blow up" so all aboard the hype train.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Tyre Phillips starting at RG was a very nice surprise, he seems like a great kid and has a feel good story that I recommend reading:

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...all/5154801002/

I hope he pans out

Article posted:

Phillips knows football won't last forever.

Special needs children looked to Phillips when they were picked on at school back in Grenada. As the biggest student in the school, Phillips served as their protector.

He sat and ate lunch with them in the cafeteria and sought out their classrooms to make sure they were OK throughout the day. Phillips majored in human development and family sciences and wants to work as an occupational therapist for children with special needs.

"That's what inspires me the most about him," James Phillips said. "He motivates those kids and lifts them up. That means more to me than anything. He's making an impact on people's lives off the field."

Phillips plans to use his platform as a professional football player to serve special needs children in whatever city he ends up in. His parents are proud to call him their own no matter where that is.

Tarsha Phillips said she won't know whether to laugh or cry if her son is drafted. She conceded that it will probably be both. James Phillips, meanwhile, might just be in shock.

"It's sort of like a dream," James Phillips added. "Every now and then I have to pinch myself and ask, 'Is this really real?' My wife and myself, we sit there and discuss how we never thought we'd have a star football player in our family."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm calling Tom Brady cooked. His season, if he even finishes it, will be worse than Peyton's 2015.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This didn't do Brady any favors:

https://twitter.com/JennaLaineESPN/status/1305549052671651841?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm calling Tom Brady cooked. His season, if he even finishes it, will be worse than Peyton's 2015.

That season ended fine for them :suicide:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I forgot all about Duvernay. Heres hoping we dont do our normal thing and never let him see the field.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
It's time to begin referring to Tom Brady on the Bucs in terms of Michael Jordan to the Wizards.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Mr. Nice! posted:

you're wrong guy, this season will be better than Peyton's 2013

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tom Sellout posted:

It's time to begin referring to Tom Brady on the Bucs in terms of Michael Jordan to the Wizards.

Jordan still dropped fifty on the hornets that year and just glancing at their next opponent and.....oh. Oh no.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FizFashizzle posted:

The bucs aren’t the broncos, though. They don’t have a generational defense.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Double Doink returns this Thursday

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1305555956605083649?s=20

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

I forgot all about Duvernay. Heres hoping we dont do our normal thing and never let him see the field.

the ravens are famous for not playing draft picks ever, thats why their entire team is their own draft selections

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

*watches 20 years where your team is the best in the league at developing talent* THIS loving TEAM NEVER>loving NEVER EVER. LETS THEIR DRAFT PICKS PLAY

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

*team just drafted raw qb prospect, immediatly turned him into actual league mvp at 22 years old* WHEN WILL THIS TEAM EVER LEARN TO USE ITS YOUNG PLAYERS

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus is just going through the motions these days, it's very hard to be pessimistic about this team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The Raiders won a game

That's all just wanted to say that