Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Since the display port on my Dell S2417dg just stopped working and Dell doesn't want to help me because my warranty ran out 3 days ago, my work helped covered the cost of a ASUS VG279QM. Sure, it is a 27 inch at 1080p but I am ok with that since all my payroll programs are set to work on the DPI and 1440p is way too small for me to even read. Playing Modern Warfare at +200FPS was awesome since 1080p is overkill for the 3700x and the 1080ti.

I did notice that the gsync module was making alot of textures pop in on my Dell monitor for some reason like I was playing everything on Unreal 2. Moving to the Asus' gsync resolved it but i wouldn't be surprised if it was defective as I RMAed this Dell model 3 times in 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Special A posted:

What is the conductor insulation rated for? At best, household wiring is rated for 90°C, for reference. I don't think it will necessarily melt, but it probably becomes less effective. But maybe it doesn't matter at ≤12VDC.

Maybe >300°C if they use silicone :kingsley:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I did notice that the gsync module was making alot of textures pop in on my Dell monitor for some reason like I was playing everything on Unreal 2.

This is not possible.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

This is not possible.

I don't know how to explain it then. I RMAed my 1080TI, was on both a intel and amd system and the only time it stopped is when I started using my current monitor.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Does anyone know if Microcenter has listed which 3080s they're going to be stocking for the 17th? I can see which ones BestBuy has listed and I'm curious what all will be available Thursday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Loiku posted:

Does anyone know if Microcenter has listed which 3080s they're going to be stocking for the 17th? I can see which ones BestBuy has listed and I'm curious what all will be available Thursday.

I guess this is a dumb question but I thought just the pre-orders went live on the 17th not that they would 100% have stock on that day? If that were the case wouldn't the Amazon orders and the like be shipping soon?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It was always inferred that there would be no preorders of any kind as far as I understand, just a "launch" on the 17th.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

It was always inferred that there would be no preorders of any kind as far as I understand, just a "launch" on the 17th.

OK fair enough.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

I guess this is a dumb question but I thought just the pre-orders went live on the 17th not that they would 100% have stock on that day?
A big UK retailer has said that 'Nvidia partners' (I have no idea who qualifies) who have signed an NDA and agreed not to take pre-orders are receiving all available stock for selling on the 17th, so I'm guessing websites that have been allowing pre-orders will have little/none to dispatch on the 17th.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

OK fair enough.

We’re getting close, buddy...

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Some retailers are intimating on their pages that they will start taking pre-orders on the 17th at "launch" time, presumably because they are not getting any launch stock.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Isn’t today launch day? Where are the reviews?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gabriel S. posted:

launch and AIB reviews are 17th, FE reviews are tomorrow.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gabriel S. posted:

Launch is 9/17, 2PM BST. Reviews for the FE cards will be out tomorrow, 9/16 at 2PM BST. Reviews for AIBs will be on launch day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m waiting for a check I deposited on Friday to clear and that’s what I’m going to use to pay for my 3080, so I’ve been checking my bank account full :f5:/:ohdear: since yesterday. If that poo poo doesn’t clear by Thursday I’m gonna be pissed, I really want to try to get one of these things day one.

I don’t even know if I’m going to be able to install it that day, but I just want to get actually getting the card over with instead of hunting for one over the next 6 weeks. It’s not like my 2070S is going to turn into a pumpkin on release day but man do I want that 3080.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I'm getting mixed messages from Canada Computers. One location is saying they're taking deposits on RTX 3080s and you just have to "bet" on which card will be in stock, other locations are denying any kind of pre-ordering exists per NVIDIA.
Sounds like not everyone is getting the same memo.

Either way it looks like I'll be lining up early in the morning to try and get an FTW3 card from EVGA and depending on how I feel I would be willing to step down to the XC3 if I can't get the FTW. I do not believe the other brands will build this thing properly with the exception of maybe ASUS and Gigabyte.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kraftwerk posted:

So I'm getting mixed messages from Canada Computers. One location is saying they're taking deposits on RTX 3080s and you just have to "bet" on which card will be in stock, other locations are denying any kind of pre-ordering exists per NVIDIA.

Either way it looks like I'll be lining up early in the morning to try and get an FTW3 card from EVGA and depending on how I feel I would be willing to step down to the XC3 if I can't get the FTW. I do not believe the other brands will build this thing properly with the exception of maybe ASUS and Gigabyte.

Jacob from EVGA said an hour or two ago on Twitter that FTW3 won't be available for a "few days." I am not entirely sure we will see em for sale Thursday morning but maybe retailers will have em listed for preorder.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
This is a longshot, but when CDW erroneously listed the PNY 3090s for $850, did anyone actually place an order for the $1821 card that was also listed? I knew there was no way in hell CDW would honor that first listing, but I thought it would provide me enough cover to snag the latter without too much competition. I haven't received any cancellation notices or anything so I'm hoping I'm in the clear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything from B&H or Amazon on that front yet.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

This is a longshot, but when CDW erroneously listed the PNY 3090s for $850, did anyone actually place an order for the $1821 card that was also listed? I knew there was no way in hell CDW would honor that first listing, but I thought it would provide me enough cover to snag the latter without too much competition. I haven't received any cancellation notices or anything so I'm hoping I'm in the clear.

They sent an email to the people who ordered at the wrong price saying they would work with them to get them a 3090 at the listed price, so there's a good chance you'll be good.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything from B&H or Amazon on that front yet.

I've been saying this the entire time but Amazon (the US arm at least) loving hates cancelling anything and consider it a major customer service loss. If they do cancel the preorders it will only be because of insane pressure from Nvidia, which is possible but I don't see happening.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Launch is 9/17, 2PM BST. Reviews for the FE cards will be out tomorrow, 9/16 at 2PM BST. Reviews for AIBs will be on launch day.

I swapped a day off this week so I can sit at home with my dick in my hand and my finger on F5 refreshing tabs trying to get one of these loving things.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Bloodplay it again posted:

Jacob from EVGA said an hour or two ago on Twitter that FTW3 won't be available for a "few days." I am not entirely sure we will see em for sale Thursday morning but maybe retailers will have em listed for preorder.

Yeah I don't strictly need to get a 3080 on launch day. I just want my 1070 replaced by mid October and buying an EVGA card is what I'd rather do than jumping the gun on some 3080 PCB rigged to an ersatz 2080 cooler.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

I've been saying this the entire time but Amazon (the US arm at least) loving hates cancelling anything and consider it a major customer service loss. If they do cancel the preorders it will only be because of insane pressure from Nvidia, which is possible but I don't see happening.

Yeah, especially given that Amazon didn't put anything up as a deliberate pre-order, but rather it seems that two cards were erroneously marked as live for all of 15 or 20 minutes and then shut down, I would be surprised if they got pushed by NVidia hard enough to do anything about it. No one wants to piss off Amazon, after all, and the prices looked legitimate, so playing the "whoops price mistake" line is unlikely.

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I don't strictly need to get a 3080 on launch day. I just want my 1070 replaced by mid October and buying an EVGA card is what I'd rather do than jumping the gun on some 3080 PCB rigged to an ersatz 2080 cooler.

There will likely be EVGA cards available at launch. Just most likely the XC3 version instead of the FTW3 version. How much custom PCBs are gonna help performance would sure be a nice think to know, but we won't find out until launch time, which is stupid.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It would be pretty funny if Amazon waited until the 17th to cancel the early orders.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kraftwerk posted:

I called my local store, and they said they're expecting to have stock on Thursday, but they don't expect it to last the day. I didn't actually ask about pre-ordering as I assumed they'd be following the rules. I will probably also be lining up in the morning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to figure out where to line up on Thursday to get a 3080 FE. The person I called in Etobicoke wasn’t very forthcoming about whether or not they’ll be stocking them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MarcusSA posted:

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything from B&H or Amazon on that front yet.

I got in within 30 minutes of the B&H RTX 3080 preorder going up on Thursday night and while the funds on my card were temporarily pending, they’ve been returned to the account; no cancellation notice but my order status is “back ordered”.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How was the cooling on the FEs for the 2070s and 2080/2080s?

Prices haven't tanked on these near me and they may not if this is truly a paper launch, but it'd be good to know how good the cooling is on these if a good deal popped up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I got in within 30 minutes of the B&H RTX 3080 preorder going up on Thursday night and while the funds on my card were temporarily pending, they’ve been returned to the account; no cancellation notice but my order status is “back ordered”.

oof ouch owie

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/fortnite-rtx-on-ray-tracing-nvidia-dlss-reflex/

Fortnite getting RTX, DLSS and Reflex on the 17th

any zoomers here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Where are you finding if your local Best Buy will be stocking these? I can see the in-store pickup option when I'm browsing the various 3080 models but nothing on the store page itself.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

So the best way to view that AMD 6000 render they put up is gonna be on an NVidia card. Beautiful.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DrDork posted:

Yeah, especially given that Amazon didn't put anything up as a deliberate pre-order, but rather it seems that two cards were erroneously marked as live for all of 15 or 20 minutes and then shut down, I would be surprised if they got pushed by NVidia hard enough to do anything about it. No one wants to piss off Amazon, after all, and the prices looked legitimate, so playing the "whoops price mistake" line is unlikely.

There will likely be EVGA cards available at launch. Just most likely the XC3 version instead of the FTW3 version. How much custom PCBs are gonna help performance would sure be a nice think to know, but we won't find out until launch time, which is stupid.

Mine from Amazon is still not canceled, but shows "Delivery Date Pending." I want an FE so we'll see, but canceling on or before the day seems pretty unlikely.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

exquisite tea posted:

Where are you finding if your local Best Buy will be stocking these? I can see the in-store pickup option when I'm browsing the various 3080 models but nothing on the store page itself.

I was gonna do some calls tomorrow evening :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

So the best way to view that AMD 6000 render they put up is gonna be on an NVidia card. Beautiful.

yeah the extremely lovely cubemap reflection in that promo kinda sticks out lol

the RT features will work on RDNA2, but without DLSS to offset the cost...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

repiv posted:

yeah the extremely lovely cubemap reflection in that promo kinda sticks out lol

and on sep 17 where the fortnite update is released the same day as ampere goes on sale

something can't be this dumb without raja's fingerprints all over it

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

RTX also works on Pascal, but, uhh....

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rolo posted:

I was gonna do some calls tomorrow evening :shrug:

Listen buddy I'm not a PC Gamer because I LIKE to talk to people!!!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

My dad is hitting up the Micro Center near him tomorrow to see if they have Asus cards in stock and which ones.

He’s good at being a “confused old man” trying to help his son and I bet he will get someone to crack and at least say if they have the ROG cards or not.

They already told him the cards come in Tuesday (today).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

spunkshui posted:

My dad is hitting up the Micro Center near him tomorrow to see if they have Asus cards in stock and which ones.

He’s good at being a “confused old man” trying to help his son and I bet he will get someone to crack and at least say if they have the ROG cards or not.

They already told him the cards come in Tuesday (today).

lol if you didn't already bribe an employee $100. Hell you should have already been bribing the longshoremen at the docks. It's gonna take some straight up mafia tactics to get one of these.