Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't mind jayztwocents from a generic "watch a goofy computer guy talk computers to waste time" POV, but he's weirdly prone to doing dumb poo poo in his builds where he builds a rgb water cooled :catdrugs: box for thousands of bucks and then for storage just uses 3 random mismatched drives he lost in the couch cushions back in 2017 or something.

Like, dude, you're running 2x Titan X video cards in a custom loop, but you can't drop $135 for a good 1 TB M.2 drive?

(My guess is he does it to stuff as many sponsors' names in there as possible. Why name check 1 in your video when you can do it for 3?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well I checked my Scan order again since today was the estimated delivery date, just to see if they've bothered to change it. It now says estimated delivery date is 22nd sep :lol:. I can see the pattern that is emerging. Don't worry, Scan, I'm not gonna cancel my order on you. I'm a patient guy, I can wait*.

*Just don't mention Team Cherry to me.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MSI Ventus is showing up and some benchmarks are being posted on r/nvidia.

Those of us waiting for one of these might get it sooner than expected because the rumour is the ventus runs a few c hotter and a few % slower than the Asus so dorks on reddit are cancelling their orders.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have a good buddy who lives in BC and who Linus reminds me a lot of. Nerdy Canadian goofballs are an acquired taste, I guess.

I like to think of LTT as Top Gear for PCs - modern Clarkson Top Gear on BBC, not the older stuff with Tiff or the newer stuff on Prime. It's all about hanging out with your buddies and doing dumb poo poo with a huge budget. Watching it for thorough reviews of average consumer stuff isn't really the point. It's entertainment. Like, people complain when Linus does really dumb stuff with servers. Yeah, you're not supposed to road-trip Africa in the same way the Top Gear folks do, either.

I understand perhaps a large portion of the audience don't understand that, but the LTT folks definitely get it. Their advice is still decent in a broad sense - for example they do have good content on the basics of building a PC and they publish buyers guides a few times a year that are very good if you have a specific budget, want the best bang for your buck, but don't want to do too much research.

Steve is awesome because he's a nerd's nerd. A data geek and a cynic. Hardware Canucks have definitely worn out their welcome (and Dimitry is way more into camera gear than PCs these days it seems, and Eber's only good at reading a script - he was never into PC hardware until he got the gig). Jayz2 is a moron and I think that shows.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 21, 2020

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I don't really watch any of these channels apart from when I'm about to upgrade a part, but it's funny the only time I see Linus become serious and lose his gimmick is when he talks about gamers.

His lower lip starts quivering and he starts ranting "gamers should be respected! we're a real demographic. we deserve to be taken seriously! they don't take us seriously. we should be feared etc. etc."

It's sad in a lot of ways

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Jayz2 is at his best not when he's reviewing hardware or trying to be technical, but when he's doing stupid poo poo like trying to make watercooling loops explode by intentionally churning up the PSI in the loop.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watch LTT and Jayztwocents when they do more weird poo poo like cooling experiments and over the top stuff. Steve when I want benchmarks and more serious reviews.

Also I kinda like Linus' staff more than him when it comes to content.

Paul and Kyle are like the step children of the tech youtube world tho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want to get expensive computer parts for nothing but I also don't have any technical knowledge or ability, maybe I can just make bad clickbaity youtube videos like "angry gamer SMASHES $2000 system" for some EZ loot.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Romes128 posted:

I watch LTT and Jayztwocents when they do more weird poo poo like cooling experiments and over the top stuff. Steve when I want benchmarks and more serious reviews.

Agreed. I go to Steve for information. I go to Jayz2 for entertainment.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

This guy really named himself Jayz2cents and then publicly associated himself with it?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I want to get expensive computer parts for nothing but I also don't have any technical knowledge or ability, maybe I can just make bad clickbaity youtube videos like "angry gamer SMASHES $2000 system" for some EZ loot.

“THREE *MUST-HAVE* TWEAKS FOR THE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080…”

Video: GSync monitor, nVidia drivers installed, PSU plugged into card.

If these settings helped don’t forget to like and subscribe.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Dangerllama posted:

Video: GSync monitor, nVidia drivers installed, PSU plugged into card.
This is shockingly useful advice if you bought a pre-built PC though. And Gsync not being enabled in the monitor and PC settings.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My other techtuber story is that I tweeted at some dude some months ago because he was the only one who ever reviewed a niche CPU I was interested in, and then I checked his feed and in between all the benchmarks and release date rumors there's pro-Trump and anti-"woke" tweets.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

doomisland posted:

This guy really named himself Jayz2cents and then publicly associated himself with it?

It's a cool 's', not Jay-Z, but yes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

doomisland posted:

I recall at one point he said he got in to Youtube as a result of a bet or something like that, so he intentionally chose a dumb name expecting it not to matter and then by the time he thought about it again he was kinda stuck with it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

FedEx finally dropped off my 3080 FE.

Right before a six hour long block of zoom meetings. :smith:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do we have any new information on whether the AIBs have shipped or sold any flagship cards like the Strix or FTW3?

Rumour has it best case scenario is September 21st but I’m not sure that’s right.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

gradenko_2000 posted:

My other techtuber story is that I tweeted at some dude some months ago because he was the only one who ever reviewed a niche CPU I was interested in, and then I checked his feed and in between all the benchmarks and release date rumors there's pro-Trump and anti-"woke" tweets.

Jay tweeted that he was ready and willing to shoot and kill BLM protesters if they stepped on his lawn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, I'm entertained by Jay's antics, moreso than the over-the-top LTT stuff. Hell, I even like his camera guy's dumb jokes and peanut gallery. Makes me laugh constantly. But I don't trust the dude's politics. I vaguely remember some weird chest-beating tweet he made during the initial round of riots after Floyd's murder that really reeked of CHUD. I still watch him since it wasn't anything really conclusive/I'm deluding myself about my entertainment sources, but I'm aware of it.

And Bitwit/Kyle is just loving racist--see his Verge video.

GN is a really sad case of the name probably turning some people off because you might think it was some GaMeR channel, but... not really? The guy seems to be a genuinely good person who cares about people, who doesn't have any overt nationalistic beliefs (his stuff on China and Taiwan is professional and respectful). He doesn't have a reason to beat his chest, and heck even his personal channel where he talks about what it is like to work as a YouTuber while doing mountain biking trails is super wholesome.

The joke name Tech Jesus is kinda well earned on Steve's part. I don't see other tech youtubers tripping over themselves to donate to cat shelters or sponsor an environmental cleanup project.

edit:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Jay tweeted that he was ready and willing to shoot and kill BLM protesters if they stepped on his lawn.

Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Anyone else get a Dell PNY 3080 order in?

From what I'm reading, some people are calling and getting more optimistic dates -- everyone shows 10/20 in the system but I've heard people being told theirs should go out 10/2.

I ordered towards the end of the window where they were taking orders, so, unless they're just getting a single dump of cards, to the extent I'm optimistic it's that I might have a card on 10/22.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

FedEx finally dropped off my 3080 FE.

I'm curious - almost everyone online says they experienced the store go from 'Notify Me' to 'Out of Stock' immediately on launch day. We found out that the API lets you check stock and submit orders far easier than waiting for the NVIDIA page to update or for the browser flow to get lucky and not hit errors on every API call. I figured with all of these headwinds, it would have been nearly impossible for a human to purchase the 3080 at 6am PT from NVIDIA's site. How did you manage to order one? You saw an 'Add to Cart' button and went with the browser flow? Or you had written a bot prior and it worked? Or did NVIDIA release stock after release and we didn't notice?

I'm just curious because I prefer the FE as well, despite AIB cards having slightly better coolers I will likely watercool the card once the dust settles. I've written a bot at this point but if NVIDIA changes anything about the order flow it won't work, so I am actually looking for tips on snagging an FE.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Pivo posted:

I'm curious - almost everyone online says they experienced the store go from 'Notify Me' to 'Out of Stock' immediately on launch day. We found out that the API lets you check stock and submit orders far easier than waiting for the NVIDIA page to update or for the browser flow to get lucky and not hit errors on every API call. I figured with all of these headwinds, it would have been nearly impossible for a human to purchase the 3080 at 6am PT from NVIDIA's site. How did you manage to order one? You saw an 'Add to Cart' button and went with the browser flow? Or you had written a bot prior and it worked? Or did NVIDIA release stock after release and we didn't notice?

I'm just curious because I prefer the FE as well, despite AIB cards having slightly better coolers I will likely watercool the card once the dust settles.

My order went through at 10:30am central, probably 15 minutes earlier on the 3080 page an Add to Cart button was there. After clicking add, it was waiting for the checkout process to actually go through.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Do we have any new information on whether the AIBs have shipped or sold any flagship cards like the Strix or FTW3?

Rumour has it best case scenario is September 21st but I’m not sure that’s right.

I keep checking youtube for a video with a STRIX because I'm assuming they will try to market it even though its completely unnecessary.

All I found is newegg studio had one and did nothing but plug it in 4-5 days ago.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

phosdex posted:

My order went through at 10:30am central, probably 15 minutes earlier on the 3080 page an Add to Cart button was there. After clicking add, it was waiting for the checkout process to actually go through.

Oh neat, so you got super lucky! You were able to actually add it to the cart on the DigitalRiver side of things, which held it for you until you made it through checkout. You weren't looking at search, were you? The 'Add to Cart' button on the search results page (with the filters on the left) only adds it to cart client-side until you click 'Checkout', so anyone using that page (like me) was screwed. I think I recall reading that the 'Add to Cart' button at the bottom of the 'RTX 30-series' showcase page bypassed that.

It's good info, thanks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I know EVGA mentioned somewhere that stock would be trickling in to retailers every couple of days or so. Is this a “check every couple of hours and see if you hit the lottery” or would online stores only refresh stock at fixed times every day (aka check at 9am just like launch day)?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I mean, if a bunch of guys show up to burn down your garage full of GPUs, what would you do?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sean10mm posted:

Iirc he was saying he was ready to shoot looters trying to enter his house, but I wasn't following his feed myself and I don't remember which thread was talking about it. Still a bad look to be sure.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I’m not happy to find out he’s poo poo but I’m relieved he’s someone I already couldn’t stand prior.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Is the tweet still up or does anyone have a cap? That sounds pretty bad.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vir posted:

I mean, if a bunch of guys show up to burn down your garage full of GPUs, what would you do?

Let them burn it down and collect the insurance?

Alternatively, not worry about things that won't happen, and most definitely not use things that won't happen as an excuse to jerk off to murdering protestors.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Proshop is showing an expected stock day of January 7th for the PNY cards. :geno:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

never tweet ur heroes

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Pivo posted:

I didn't buy one at 6 AM PT. Rusty mentioned in this thread that they had managed to click the link to the store in the email notification NVIDIA sent out about an hour after the launch was supposed to go live and managed to order one without issue. So I went back to the NVIDIA store to check, was able to add one to cart, and then went through a slow 30 minute process to make it through the checkout process with their backend servers dropping HTTP 5xx errors every other attempt. I didn't use a bot, just a lot of persistence, page refreshes and retries to make it through the order flow manually.

I actually posted a thank you to Rusty about it here after they brought it up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3484126&pagenumber=2187&perpage=40#post508150797

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
FTW3 cards might be seeing a price increase?

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1308060013915594752

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Have there been any rumors about a possible 3080Ti release?

Coming from a 2080Ti I think that (or a 3090 lol) would be about the only worthwhile upgrade for me at 1440P. Metro Exodus gets ~60FPS w/RTX (but no DLSS as it's the 1.0 implementation that looks like poop), and Control gets 60+ FPS w/RTX & DLSS.

I'm very pleased with the latter's performance tbqh, and doubt I would notice any difference if I popped up to a 3080.

Too bad 4K isn't really an enticing upgrade for me - once they come out with decent 4K HDR OLED displays that aren't 40+ inches I'll jump on that poo poo so I can have my consoles hooked up.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Romes128 posted:

Is the tweet still up or does anyone have a cap? That sounds pretty bad.

Arivia posted:

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267598953358356480

here's just one

the actual "rioters are at my walled community I will protect my property and my family by any means necessary" tweet seems to be gone, but he sure tweeted up a loving storm in the responses that tells you all you need to know

Here's the one I saw.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I didn't buy one at 6 AM PT. Rusty mentioned in this thread that they had managed to click the link to the store in the email notification NVIDIA sent out about an hour after the launch was supposed to go live and managed to order one without issue. So I went back to the NVIDIA store to check, was able to add one to cart, and then went through a slow 30 minute process to make it through the checkout process with their backend servers dropping HTTP 5xx errors every other attempt. I didn't use a bot, just a lot of persistence, page refreshes and retries to make it through the order flow manually.

I actually posted a thank you to Rusty about it here after they brought it up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3484126&pagenumber=2187&perpage=40#post508150797
Yep, I got the notification email after giving up trying to get one, so for kicks I clicked on the email link and ordered one without issue, the servers were not even under hard load when I ordered so I must have slipped in right when it was turned on. Fedex says I get mine Thursday.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Some Goon posted:

Here's the one I saw.
or you can just search for simple terms on his twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3A%22%40JayzTwoCents%22%20racist&f=live

i'm more surprised that he hasn't deleted them, like the blm results from 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Here's the one I saw.

He also does the "lol offended" jokes a lot.