Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

No I can't agree with this. Violence is often not only necessary but good, especially in politics. This country lost its way when we made it illegal to bring your cane into Congress.

i mean thats a funny analogy but you do remember why that dude beat that other dude with a cane right

if you don't it was because the dude who got caned wanted to abolish slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If the translation is accurate in Instagram, someone came into Suzuki's shop with this photo of him as a kid and he had no idea who it was until he realized it was an old childhood friend from 45 years ago.

He still looks like he's about to beat someone's rear end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFwpNHYgk5l/?igshid=iwah3zhheic2

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Are we allowed to debate this list because I got Issues with this list (why are tag teams put together as one, why not just have a separate tagteam list. why is tony deppen below any of the people on the list above him)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know when it stopped being an issue for me, but having "weird arms" was never anything anyone made fun of me for or even brought up, it was all just invented in my own brain. Body issues are loving weird!

They really are! I feel like non-WWE wrestling in general has become more body-positive in recent years, and I'm for it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ben Carter number 1 but I'm extremely certain AEW is in traction to lock him up ASAP. They could probably get WARHORSE quite easily given their connection to him now and how well he's received.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Ben Carter number 1 but I'm extremely certain AEW is in traction to lock him up ASAP. They could probably get WARHORSE quite easily given their connection to him now and how well he's received.

I think Ben is probably WWE bound if I'm being honest.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tato posted:

Ms. Marvel's comic sold 13,116 copies in January. Even the best selling comics (which are typically re-launched #1s and poo poo) strain to sell even 6 figures a month and rapidly plummet, causing them to relaunch over and over. Ms. Marvel has certainly sold a fair amount of graphic novels (even though Scholastic and book fairs) so I can see some younger folks being familiar with her, but also understand why most people would think she was made up. Marvel has done a lot of pushing the last 5 years making her more visible, but it's a very niche audience I guess Mr. Cage is not a part of.

Cage complaining about Ms. Marvel just makes me think of years back when people were annoyed that Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 threw in that obscure talking raccoon character that Marvel was supposedly about to make a space movie out of that was absolutely going to bomb.

And Triple H nodded along with that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought ms marvel was just the comic version of captain marvel after captain marvel became shazam

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pylons posted:

:gonk:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JOHN CENA posted:

i thought ms marvel was just the comic version of captain marvel after captain marvel became shazam

Isn't Shazam a DC property?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

Isn't Shazam a DC property?

Shazam was originally called Captain Marvel too. Two completely different IPs owned by different companies.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hoss Corncave posted:

Shazam was originally called Captain Marvel too. Two completely different IPs owned by different companies.

The gently caress

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Pylons posted:

The gently caress

DC sued into bankruptcy Fawcett Comics who published Captain Marvel because it was outselling Superman in the 40s and 50s? DC acquired Fawcett but let the trademark on "Captain Marvel" lapse in the late 60s because no one was paying attention. Marvel noticed this and jumped to make their own Captain Marvel series. Ms. Marvel was a spinoff out of those stories.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Pylons posted:

The gently caress

the worst part is that the Shazam Captain Marvel was originally owned by a third company that one of the two companies you're thinking about basically legally harassed out of business because they didn't like that they were being beaten at their own game. DC ended up owning the character but never really locked down the name, Marvel eventually grabbed the name but not the character, and it was all very stupid

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

smikey posted:

DC sued into bankruptcy Fawcett Comics who published Captain Marvel because it was outselling Superman in the 40s and 50s? DC acquired Fawcett but let the trademark on "Captain Marvel" lapse in the late 60s because no one was paying attention. Marvel noticed this and jumped to make their own Captain Marvel series. Ms. Marvel was a spinoff out of those stories.

To make this even more confusing after Marvel's Captain Marvel died Ms Marvel ended up becoming Captain Marvel and then Kamala became the new Ms Marvel so there are three Captain Marvels but only two are Marvel Captain Marvels and there are two Ms Marvels both of which are Marvel's and then there is also DC's Shazam who was formerly DC's Captain Marvel who you can check out if you miss Marvel's first Captain Marvel

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/tanahashi1_100/status/1311307926984826886

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The history of literally every comic book company across the world having their own pastiche of Captain Marvel is beautiful and intricate like a mandala painting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

now lets talk about Hawkman

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Rarity posted:

To make this even more confusing after Marvel's Captain Marvel died Ms Marvel ended up becoming Captain Marvel and then Kamala became the new Ms Marvel so there are three Captain Marvels but only two are Marvel Captain Marvels and there are two Ms Marvels both of which are Marvel's and then there is also DC's Shazam who was formerly DC's Captain Marvel who you can check out if you miss Marvel's first Captain Marvel

You're forgetting Monica Rambeau's run as Captain Marvel in the early 80s to mid 90s. And the several times the original Captain Marvel or a genetic clone/parallel universe version has gone by that name. Perpetually ongoing capes and spandex comics are the worst.

edit:

Alaois posted:

I haven't been paying attention to usual superhero stuff in years so I don't know which number of (literal) reincarnation he and Hawkgirl are on

smikey fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 30, 2020

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Alaois posted:

Has that character ever had a good run?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Alaois posted:

When the Injustice game came out, I did these posts in the fighting games thread to explain the comic book characters to people who didn't read comics.

There was nothing I could do to make Hawkman not sound like the most confusing poo poo ever no matter how hard I tried.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gavok posted:

When the Injustice game came out, I did these posts in the fighting games thread to explain the comic book characters to people who didn't read comics.

There was nothing I could do to make Hawkman not sound like the most confusing poo poo ever no matter how hard I tried.

even the DC wiki doesn't try to hide it

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Hoss Corncave posted:

This is why nobody reads comics

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1311380575098413062

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pylons posted:

Is this based on anything besides idle speculation and that he went to Seth Rollins’s school?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Is this based on anything besides idle speculation and that he went to Seth Rollins’s school?

From what I heard AEW has offered him a contract (and been trying to push him to sign it) so I think there's a reason he hasn't. Maybe he still wants to work the indies, but I would guess WWE is trying to sign him.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Pylons posted:

From what I heard AEW has offered him a contract (and been trying to push him to sign it) so I think there's a reason he hasn't. Maybe he still wants to work the indies, but I would guess WWE is trying to sign him.

Maybe he’s not ready to do big league shows like Late Night Dynamite and Dark and feels more comfortable on 205 Live and Main Event that are watched by hundreds

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He certainly looked comfortable on AEW.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Pylons posted:

Hoping it’s just because of covid right now and he just wants to be of sound mind here.

He has to know what will happen to him if he goes to WWE but yeah, Rollins could absolutely be doing a “don’t you dare go there” and halting it. I could see it happen.

Who knows with that behind the scenes stuff. It’s a petty game!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maybe Rollins promised him he can be Buddy Murphy #2 and Ben is just hyped as gently caress to be a follower of the monday night messiah

If someone that young goes to WWE signing the five years 80k a year contract they have da brain worms and there's no saving them from Main Event. Even if he plans to go to WWE there's zero reason to go now.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

On a social media standpoint, he posts super positively about his AEW experience, his exposure and wrestling for them.

I think that also somewhat backfires though because just like with Kingston, all of a sudden WWE comes sniffing at them. And Santana/Ortiz and well, they want you only because they don’t want you in the competition.

Ya know, especially reading HHH’s call today where he said he was happy on Wednesdays and the “other company” should move, not us.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Carter is apparently one of those WWE Is The Dream guys. Don't get your hopes up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

Now if you really want the logic twisting on this you need to look at Miracleman. A continuation of a discontinued British reprint of the Fawcett Captain Marvel until they were shut down by a lawsuit from DC Comics, radically reimagined by Alan Moore in the early 80s, taken over by Neil Gaiman in the late 80s, forced to change its name by a threat of legal action from Marvel Comics, left in publication hell by several competing claims of ownership, supposedly bought by Todd McFarlane although not really apart from being used in a single issue of Spawn, subject of a lawsuit with rights restored to Neil Gaiman, and then published in reprints by Marvel Comics in the 2010s.

I can no longer remember what this had to do with wrestling.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Now if you really want the logic twisting on this you need to look at Miracleman. A continuation of a discontinued British reprint of the Fawcett Captain Marvel until they were shut down by a lawsuit from DC Comics, radically reimagined by Alan Moore in the early 80s, taken over by Neil Gaiman in the late 80s, forced to change its name by a threat of legal action from Marvel Comics, left in publication hell by several competing claims of ownership, supposedly bought by Todd McFarlane although not really apart from being used in a single issue of Spawn, subject of a lawsuit with rights restored to Neil Gaiman, and then published in reprints by Marvel Comics in the 2010s.

I can no longer remember what this had to do with wrestling.

still more straightforward than Kane and Undertaker

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

i mean thats a funny analogy but you do remember why that dude beat that other dude with a cane right

if you don't it was because the dude who got caned wanted to abolish slavery

Yeah and instead of pulling out his own cane he instead got canes banned and we just had slavery until there was a war over it. We gotta be willing to look at the canes wielded by the Andrew Jackson's of the world, and be ready to meet them on the field of battle with our own canes.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

MJeff posted:

Carter is apparently one of those WWE Is The Dream guys. Don't get your hopes up.

I think it’ll happen too. Just gotta say you were there.

Hell, I do it for things. I was there on day one when Guardians of the Galaxy came out and hit the theatres. I was there. I also was at Buffalo Wild Wings the first day it came to Saginaw, Michigan. It was a dream to be one of the first to eat it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ICR posted:

He has to know what will happen to him if he goes to WWE but yeah, Rollins could absolutely be doing a “don’t you dare go there” and halting it. I could see it happen.

The idea that "I trained you, therefore I perpetually own you" mentality is normal and not warped is just another indicator of how much wrestling as an industry is broken to the degree that it's beyond hosed.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was right to call Ben Carter "Ben Carson"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

ICR posted:

I think it’ll happen too. Just gotta say you were there.

Hell, I do it for things. I was there on day one when Guardians of the Galaxy came out and hit the theatres. I was there. I also was at Buffalo Wild Wings the first day it came to Saginaw, Michigan. It was a dream to be one of the first to eat it.

I was part of the second table to eat at the Brick Town, NJ BWW the night it opened