Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The UI looks simple and crisp. The idea that it’s bland is weird. Like do you want tons of ads with flashing neon lights and Technopop playing in the background? Also you don’t have to engage with the features you don’t like. They are there for people who do want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Heatsink? More like HeatSUNK! Wrap it up sonyailures.

Sony just canceled the release of the PS5 after reading this post.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The x900h got its PS5 update today!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just watched that thing and when I saw the Trophies had progress indicators I felt so happy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

having more [thermal headroom] seems to be a failure of design is rather bizarre.

This is the opposite of what I believe! I think the PS5's approach is preferable in almost every way to the X's. I wish every console had been doing this from the beginning (even though I understand why the alternate approach might have been preferable to them). I'm all about Big Air.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

rather than fill the ps5 thread with this chat go with that exact line into the gpu thread and see how far it'll take you, we don't really have a generic cooling thread on sa that i recall

as a quick example let's take the 'simple' case fan, which are effectively 120mm and 140mm nowadays. in the past companies attempted to go with the naïve "just make it bigger" and went with 200mm, but that came with requiring more power, requiring tighter tolerances on manufacturing (or the fan would literally shatter with the strain on it), and ultimately not improve thermals or noise. the major players in the market have been optimising 140mm fin design and improving thermal performance while reducing the noise it creates. i see a similar issue with the consoles you could go with the big box fan design of the xbox series x, or you could tailor a thicker fan for the ps5 and integrate the system to make it all perform more effectively. not that i expect the xbox's fan to shatter but there's a lot more to it than 'a fan'

the heatsink the ps5 has designed for it isn't "just make it as big as possible", it's pretty targeted at 3 areas which the article talks about and otherwise would be a massive waste of resources that could go into the rest of the system. there was a lot of backroom chat on sony spending significantly more than microsoft on their thermal design, and it shows in the details imo. i'm still disappointed at how barebones the series x's design is throughout, even the ui hasn't really changed

Well, yes, this stuff eventually hits limits. But I think at the power levels and form factors we're talking about here, we're still comfortably inside them (also I'm more talking about heatsink volume than fan size, although eventually heatsink volume must account for fan size). Of course they could have made the PS5 even bigger, and also I definitely get that there's more to it than how big it is and that the shape is accomplishing more than filling more space. I only mean to say (and largely because this all got started in response to a DF video seemingly be more impressed with Microsoft's internals situation than Sony's) that even despite the impressive interplay of all the elements in the PS5 the way they've gone about dreaming it up is - from a perspective I can sympathise with - less involved, and makes it less obvious how many things they've accomplished (We might say that an enormous amount of work has gone into making the PS5's internal design appear effortless).

Like, okay, eventually this will come down to different people being impressed by different things to different extents and past a point this is all subjective. At the end of the day I get the sense we are both of the opinion that the PS5 is extremely impressive in terms of hardware design and the X is less so, I'm just prevaricating over whether the X should get some points for trying, is all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

I just watched that thing and when I saw the Trophies had progress indicators I felt so happy.

There are several of us!

For real especially when it comes to bigger sized games it'll be nice to know if you're only halfway through collecting all the doodads or if you're pretty close.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Shammypants posted:

The x900h got its PS5 update today!

Oddly enough, it didn't add support for VRR and ALLM yet, it "only" enabled the HDMI 2.1 support features like 4K@120 and eARC.
I've read that VRR requires an Android update to work.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI2QIOhMa50&t=440s

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

mcbexx posted:

Oddly enough, it didn't add support for VRR and ALLM yet, it "only" enabled the HDMI 2.1 support features like 4K@120 and eARC.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI2QIOhMa50&t=440s

Yea, they are apparently doing 2-stage implementation to make sure adding these features first doesn't cause any significant user issues. Waiting until around release for VRR and ALLM is fine with me and less important to general use.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I dig the new UI. Looks like a refined extension of the PS4 UI, which is what I was hoping it would be.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly like kind of confusing to me but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I guess short press is quick menu and long press is full menu? Sounds like a lot of buttons involved after that. I'm sure it's fine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In UI , Activities looks cool but also rather tiresome and I hope you can block it from displaying, I hope this stuff scales well for those of us on 1080p TVs, and screen-share to Party looks hype as gently caress and I'm all for it but also I fear developers are going to poo poo all over it by blocking cutscenes just like they did with shareplay.

(What I also really hope is that screen-share to party will not have the arbitrary 1-hour time limit that shareplay had)

RIP: Firewatch Dynamic Theme. You proided many years of leal service, and were unrivalled.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I doubt we'll see full integration of most of this stuff in third-party games, which will be more conventional and straightforward. It's cool the integration options exist, though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
It will be in every Sony first party so that’s worth it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The DF retro M$ shills at it again!!!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

It will be in every Sony first party so that’s worth it.

And also every game that has a marketing deal or timed/console exclusivity over the next generation. There’s gonna be a reasonable amount of games that use all of it. Maybe not the majority, but a good amount. It all depends on how easy it is to do, and if it’s like the rest of the console and the way devs talk about making stuff for it, it’s probably quite easy.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The DF retro M$ shills at it again!!!

This doesn’t fit in with my victim narrative!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Crafty posted:

This doesn’t fit in with my victim narrative!

If DF isn't biased, why do I keep insisting they are? :colbert:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Are there any playstation posters going into the xbox thread and making insanely dumb posts or is it only a one way street?

Absolutely.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They probably do happen but we never see them because there’s no reason for a PS poster to go into an Xbox thread except to do that

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Escobarbarian posted:

They probably do happen but we never see them because there’s no reason for a PS poster to go into an Xbox thread except to do that

Are you suggesting segregation here?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Crafty posted:

Are you suggesting segregation here?

Yes, Crafty, because of liking the Xbox you’re a persecuted minority. You have deciphered the code.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m only suggesting that people stop giving a terrible company like Microsoft their money. That’s all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they just gotta make and release a game worth playing and then also hope its not cracked before i remember my gamepass account details and resub

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fridge corn posted:

Are there any playstation posters going into the xbox thread and making insanely dumb posts or is it only a one way street?

There was one guy who said xbowners were more likely to be trump supporters

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

An all-timer of a bad post

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

An all-timer of a bad post

Politics and console wars, all wrapped up in one. Thread’s peaked.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Given that Xbox is a much stronger brand in the US than anywhere else and PlayStation is more uniformly distributed, statistically, they're probably right!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 15, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Xbox only does well in America
Trump supporters are most likely to be American

The logic checks out, sorry Xbox fans

E:f,b

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I was browsing car skins in Forza Horizon 3 recently and came across quite a few Trump 2020 ones.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there are a lot of donald trump mii fighters on smash

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
new upcoming game trailer for OG model xbox one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMO0PaX7Yc

have we actually seen what the consoles versions will look like or is it all pc so far? i've been assuming the ps4 version running on ps5 will look like this but uhh maybe not?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

PlayStation owners: The silent majority

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

have we actually seen what the consoles versions will look like

They've released a screenshot for the launch consoles:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
im gonna play that

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

They've released a screenshot for the launch consoles:

What game dis?

Vikar Jerome posted:

new upcoming game trailer for OG model xbox one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMO0PaX7Yc

have we actually seen what the consoles versions will look like or is it all pc so far? i've been assuming the ps4 version running on ps5 will look like this but uhh maybe not?

I am hype for this game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if our save games on ps5 become activity cards so we can load right into them.

That would be as good, if not better than a quick resume feature since it could be every save file on the console that you could jump to in magic ssd load time

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Cars don’t say cyberpunk to me at all unless they can fly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

Man it looks nice and clean and no fraeking adverts everywhere!!!
I really like the time to complete stuff in the activities and also how fast it was jumping between games and bits.

Shame about no more themes though :(

Time Remaining To Complete Bloodborne: 12 Hours

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Cars don’t say cyberpunk to me at all unless they can fly.

Ain't no flying cars in Neuromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The PS5 UI seems fast and functional and full of features that I will figure out how to turn off in settings and never think about again.