Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Ah I see, for some reason I thought Lost Hills was in some cold war with the NCR while the other chapters were in open war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's one of those things that has cool far-reaching effects which are unfortunately not really discussed in the game. Like, the NCR-BOS war is the reason you use caps in the game- the conflict devalued the NCR dollar, which allowed the water merchants of the Hub to reintroduce caps as a viable currency, which I'd love if someone in the game talked about that but I only know about it because the guy who came up with it posts here

E: oh speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1319755496702627841?s=19

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 23, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

its all fun and games for your isolationist militant technomonk faction until california starts making their own laser toys and reinventing things called "borders"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

its all fun and games for your isolationist militant technomonk faction until california starts making their own laser toys and reinventing things called "borders"

On that thought, I dislike how overrated power armor and energy weapons are by some fans.

Fallout is an intensely pulpy setting and does not run on the realism that "the guys with guns beat everybody." The strongest enemy in New Vegas is a big guy with a makeshift sword who, if YT videos are correct, can defeat many people who are armed with guns.

(I don't think Lanius is the absolute strongest character in the main game but he's up there)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The strongest enemy in New Vegas is either an overgrown fly or an overgrown chameleon.

Lanius is pretty strong though. But my money is on the genetically engineered chameleon.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Brotherhood being so stuck in their ways makes them a nice foil to the Boomers, who recognize that they can't stay stagnant and isolationist forever and wants to let in a bit of the outside world.

Arcsquad12 posted:

No you just get sent to retrieve ID tags from an artillery field, a radioactive super mutant enclave and a robot filled office building. Then they send you to a series of death trap vaults that the head knight admits has already killed several brotherhood members. Then they send you back to the radioactive mutant enclave to bug a radio tower. Everything they do either benefits them or gets you killed, win win for the dicks in power armour.

Or if you install Hardin in power, he sends you off against the Van Graffs, who are said to be able to field their own small army.

That last quest for Hardin or Mcnamara really gives off the strong impression that after helping them cover up their gently caress-up/put them into power, they consider you a loose end that need to be silenced.

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah, this is the impression I got as well. The Brotherhood didn't have a problem with the NCR until they started expanding a lot and started getting their hands on Pre-War tech from the lands they're annexed. And when the NCR didn't back down, it's the Brotherhood who started a war with them.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

2house2fly posted:

It's one of those things that has cool far-reaching effects which are unfortunately not really discussed in the game. Like, the NCR-BOS war is the reason you use caps in the game- the conflict devalued the NCR dollar, which allowed the water merchants of the Hub to reintroduce caps as a viable currency, which I'd love if someone in the game talked about that but I only know about it because the guy who came up with it posts here

I’m pretty sure it is talked about a bit in game. I think either by Chomps at Sloan or Alice at Crimson Caravan.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i believe in Sloan the head foreman mentions that NCR dollars aren't worth much in the mojave, though I don't think its pointed out that this is because NCR money is now fiat money because the BoS basically destroyed all of the NCRs gold reserve creating a monetary panic in the NCR and driving up inflation (i think this is mostly covered in ropekid's posts over the years and not ingame)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The decline of the Brotherhood of Steel is a sad story, but it's more a sad story of bad decisions and constantly unfulfilled potential. Even if you set them towards a better path, I think they still have their obsession with keeping all technology for themselves. It's not hard to imagine them going back to their old ways after a generation.

House was right.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Berke Negri posted:

i believe in Sloan the head foreman mentions that NCR dollars aren't worth much in the mojave, though I don't think its pointed out that this is because NCR money is now fiat money because the BoS basically destroyed all of the NCRs gold reserve creating a monetary panic in the NCR and driving up inflation (i think this is mostly covered in ropekid's posts over the years and not ingame)

I vaguely recall that the Brotherhood somehow managed to irradiate NCR's gold reserves but don't know if that was mentioned in-game or if it's supplemental lore somewhere.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

I vaguely recall that the Brotherhood somehow managed to irradiate NCR's gold reserves but don't know if that was mentioned in-game or if it's supplemental lore somewhere.

Loading screens. 80% of the scrapped Van Buren plots happened in loading screens.

Just like how so much of the Sierra Madre's backstory ended up in loading screens.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

Loading screens. 80% of the scrapped Van Buren plots happened in loading screens.

Just like how so much of the Sierra Madre's backstory ended up in loading screens.

Hmmm. TES presents much of the world's through books. I guess Fallout has story tellers who recite a bit of oral history as it relates to their faction. Even the pre-war stories you stumble upon are heavily flavored by the paranoia and secrecy of that age.

After saving the world (again), it never seems like you've really changed anything in TES games. Makes sense, as that world is very old. In Fallout, the overall timeline is far shorter so it feels like the player's story is much more important to the world at large.

I'm probably missing a bunch of backstory, as Morrowind and F3 were my first forays into those stories. Whatever, each playthrough I learn something new. New Vegas especially is like reading your favorite book every year and discovering a new, interesting facet each time.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1319755496702627841?s=20

Starting soon

Edit: stream live

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 24, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think what really makes New Vegas shine is that it isn't "saving the world". It's coming to a complicated political conflict and helping a side to triumph after hours of seeing the consequences of each side's actions, and you can really believe at the end that the final choice will change everything.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

lol, he really underestimated his goals here. Hit the 3.5k goal before actually starting the game.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Garrand posted:

lol, he really underestimated his goals here. Hit the 3.5k goal before actually starting the game.

You'd think he would have learned after the response to their kickstarter

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

it is your fault I just had to hear a stairs in your house reference on a stream in 2020, and I want to memorialize this for everyone else

:golfclap: ... I think?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Psion posted:

it is your fault I just had to hear a stairs in your house reference on a stream in 2020, and I want to memorialize this for everyone else

:golfclap: ... I think?

A blast from the past

And Josh is playing Caravan now

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Planets must be aligning, because I was thinking about picking up the game again, but I lost track of where I was with the Viva New Vegas guide.

Also, Josh just gave a calllout to SA and the thread a few minutes ago.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wicked Them Beats posted:

A blast from the past

And Josh is playing Caravan now

I like how he won without realizing what the win conditions were

that's absolutely the most authentic Caravan experience for me when I played it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Apparently not being able to tell Veronica about Christine was NOT an aesthetic choice but a technical one!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait what'd he say on stream? I'm working but I've always wondered why you can't tell Christine about veronica.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Wait what'd he say on stream? I'm working but I've always wondered why you can't tell Christine about veronica.

It's hard to make .esm files talk to each other. Load order and all that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Just that, basically: someone asked why you couldn't tell Christine about Veronica and he said it was because it's hard for the DLC and main game to interact because of load orders and dependencies and such. And specified that it wasn't an aesthetic thing. I've always viewed it as a thing where the player was intended to draw a conclusion from putting together two things which they might never actually see which don't directly refer to each other (sort of a Kuleshov effect but with dialogue) so it was a surprise

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Psion posted:

I like how he won without realizing what the win conditions were

that's absolutely the most authentic Caravan experience for me when I played it

I love Caravan

And this is very true

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Three patch giveaways and no win yet. I shouldn't have dumped my luck stat.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

oh jay posted:

It's hard to make .esm files talk to each other. Load order and all that.
I think Ropekid was mixing up some stuff there. DLCs can't edit other DLCs due to loadorder. But the DLCs make edits to the base game. Loadorder doesn't matter because falloutnv.esm always goes first :shrug:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I think Ropekid was mixing up some stuff there. DLCs can't edit other DLCs due to loadorder. But the DLCs make edits to the base game without problem. :shrug:

Telling Veronica about Christine hinges on getting Felicia Day back just to record like 2 lines though. The Elijah lines were recorded ahead of time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CONFIRMED HUGE REVELATIONS from the stream:

- There have been no discussions of an iso Fallout

- Would he work on Fallout again? "Sure"

- Varg Vikiernes or whatever his name is hates NV

- Spanish is "easy to learn"

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Basic Chunnel posted:

Man, those murderous white supremacists can be so touchy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"I like to read Lad's Life while I'm sitting on the ol' toilet"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

What is the jsawyer.esp patch like? I know it disperses the DLC items around the wasteland, but all I know apart from that is that it makes the game harder. I ask because I want to continue with modding the game via the Viva New Vegas guide (and jsawyer.esp is listed, albeit with some tweaks) but I don't know if I want to make the game super-hard. I know I tweaked some things with the install already, since I asked about them on the Viva New Vegas Discord.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Jeez how on earth did that come up?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I wouldn't say it makes it super hard, but it makes the hardcore mode a lot more survival-like. Stimpacks are much less abundant, addictions are easier to come by and harder to get rid of, and sleeping on an empty stomach or dehydrated can kill you.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

I wouldn't say it makes it super hard, but it makes the hardcore mode a lot more survival-like. Stimpacks are much less abundant, addictions are easier to come by and harder to get rid of, and sleeping on an empty stomach or dehydrated can kill you.

I only played Hardcore mode once, and that was when I first got the game. I didn't care for it, and I enjoyed the game a lot more when I replayed it on the normal difficulty.

Lima posted:

Jeez how on earth did that come up?

He was talking about a YouTube reviewer who covers guns (Forgotten Weapons, I think?), and he mentioned how said reviewer had killed someone. He had to clarify that it wasn't Varg he was talking about, and that the other person did so in self-defense.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 24, 2020

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It's funny now that I think about it, I don't actually know what the proper win conditions are of Caravan, but I do remember getting to a point where I never lost a game of it?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Max Wilco posted:

I only played Hardcore mode once, and that was when I first got the game. I didn't care for it, and I enjoyed the game a lot more when I replayed it on the normal difficulty.
Ah okay then you definitely wouldn't like that mod :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Apparently the New Vegas launch party was also Kim Kardashian's 30th birthday bash???