Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Do we know dimensions for the various 3070 models yet? If so, is there somewhere that's aggregated those numbers? My case isn't quite SFF but it's fairly small so I need to figure out what models will fit before I start trying to buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Taima posted:

Honestly this isn't talked about nearly as much as it should be. DLSS anti aliasing rules. I don't think many people actually know that it does that.
Seriously, if you haven’t seen Death Stranding with DLSS going you really should. It looks better and the framerate boost is absurd.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Shipon posted:

how does it work? Does it just render the game at 1440p, scale to 4K and then scale that back down to 1440p?

I have no idea unfortunately. I just know it's great from experience. I'm hoping someone can chime in here though because I would also like to know the specifics.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zotix posted:

So hypothetically in 3 months if there's good supply of both manufacturers cards and say I wanted to drop roughly $600 on a card, which is the go-to card?

$600 and no higher? A $500 3070. $600 but you can bump it up higher? A $700 3080, preferably the ASUS TUF non-OC (if they ever come back in stock again). $600 but you can bump it up higher and you only want to play DX11 games from yester-year? $650 6800XT, apparently.

Zack Ater posted:

Do we know dimensions for the various 3070 models yet? If so, is there somewhere that's aggregated those numbers? My case isn't quite SFF but it's fairly small so I need to figure out what models will fit before I start trying to buy one.

The smallest ones will be much smaller than the 3080. NVidia's FE is supposed to be 242mm x 112mm x 43mm (2-slot). AIBs will be all over the place, with some being similarly small, and others being closer to 3080 size.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zotix posted:

So hypothetically in 3 months if there's good supply of both manufacturers cards and say I wanted to drop roughly $600 on a card, which is the go-to card?

Nobody really knows yet because we don't have reliable performance figures on the AMD lineup. If you can wait 3 months to buy, wait a few weeks to decide since reviews will be coming.

E: I predict that what Dr Dork said will be the answer though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Seriously, if you haven’t seen Death Stranding with DLSS going you really should. It looks better and the framerate boost is absurd.

I do kinda worry about what someone previously mentioned, that this becomes a Wirth's Law scenario and developers will just suck up all the gains with poor optimization (or more intensive effects that we perceive as worse optimization)

although that's even more reason to make sure you have it I suppose

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I do kinda worry about what someone previously mentioned, that this becomes a Wirth's Law scenario and developers will just suck up all the gains with poor optimization (or more intensive effects that we perceive as worse optimization)

gimme the more intensive effects, that's the reason I'm here buying high end cards

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shipon posted:

how does it work? Does it just render the game at 1440p, scale to 4K and then scale that back down to 1440p?

It renders the frame at a lower resolution, then takes that input along with other scene data like motion vectors and depth buffers and uses a neural network to hallucinate what a high-resolution version of the scene would be. The network is trained on fully antialiased frames, so when it generates the high-res version it naturally generates a smooth image -- it doesn't "know" about aliasing at all. It just "knows" (a poor term when talking about ML, but you get the idea) that this kind of jaggy pixel pattern needs to turn into this other kind of smooth pixel pattern.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 28, 2020

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I have been describing this phenomenon for a while, nice to know there's a name for it. Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Eh, I doubt that based on two parts: One, consoles aren't getting DLSS, so at minimum games are going to have to be engineered around those performance targets. So anything that can hit 2080/2080 Ti performance levels should still be able to get a "good" experience, especially since both Sony and Microsoft seem to be pushing games to hit closer to 60FPS instead of 30FPS now.

Second, DLSS is gonna remain a comparatively niche thing in terms of market share for a while, especially if NVidia does another feature-split and doesn't enable RTX/DLSS on low end cards. So they're still going to have to make games performant enough without DLSS, that I think DLSS will remain a very potent performance boost for a while.

Once AMD gets their version working, and it's applicable to consoles, then I think you might be right. But I expect we're years away from that, especially if AMD's solution can't be implemented well in RDNA2.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Eh, I doubt that based on two parts: One, consoles aren't getting DLSS, so at minimum games are going to have to be engineered around those performance targets.

It doesn't look like Sony/MS have any upscaling magic up their sleeves either, at least not for the launch window. PS5/XSX games seem to be overwhelmingly targetting native 4K by brute force.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Shipon posted:

It's a form of TAA really. Whereas TAA can only construct images using information contained in recently rendered and upcoming frames from the GPU itself, DLSS 2.0 can do so by addressing information learned from 'Ground Truth' 64x super-sampled game images that the network was trained on.

For example, when you use DLSS in Performance mode, only 1 in 4 pixels is actually rendered by the GPU itself in the traditional manner. The other 3 in 4 pixels are generated using the DLSS algorithm using the network running on the Tensor cores.

If you really want to learn as much as possible, I suggest putting aside an hour to watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMtMneugt0A

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

For months now there has been a strong effort by AMD faithful to frame DLSS2 as fake upscaling (as bad or worse than a television upscaling to 4K).

Now, the party line is that AMD's upcoming DLSS-like tech is going to be as good or better. These are the same people who were saying that upscaling of any type was garbage for months.

It's fake news levels of trolling the whole way down. It's bizarre how far people will go to push a narrative these days. Imagine how wack you would have to be to run around the internet shouting this stuff all day for weeks and months.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Taima posted:

For months now there has been a strong effort by AMD faithful to frame DLSS2 as fake upscaling (as bad or worse than a television upscaling to 4K).

Now, the party line is that AMD's upcoming DLSS-like tech is going to be as good or better. These are the same people who were saying that upscaling of any type was garbage for months.

It's fake news levels of trolling the whole way down. It's bizarre how far people will go to push a narrative these days. Imagine how wack you would have to be to run around the internet shouting this stuff all day for weeks and months.

are you seeing these people on twitter or where?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Twitter, forums, and the weird Youtube-centric AMD circlejerk social club.

e: it's not super important or anything, to be clear, I just find it interesting and strange.

Riflen posted:

You should make a thread on /r/amd slamming them for using vendor lock-in and jailing game performance behind Ryzen products. Internet tribes are real weird for sure though.

Oh poo poo right I forgot Reddit, r/AMD is a huge source of this poo poo too.

I'm making the sign to march outside Lisa's house as we speak (just kidding she probably lives in some wack rear end gated community)

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 28, 2020

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Taima posted:

You should make a thread on /r/amd slamming them for using vendor lock-in and jailing game performance behind Ryzen products. Internet tribes are real weird for sure though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

It doesn't look like Sony/MS have any upscaling magic up their sleeves either, at least not for the launch window. PS5/XSX games seem to be overwhelmingly targetting native 4K by brute force.

I don't think Sony/MS are going to be terribly involved in terms of developing a solution. It'll be AMD putting together a solution that's compatible with whatever the hardware is they put into those consoles. If Sony/MS don't bother paying AMD to do it, they might not even bother, and instead just focus on making it work on their dGPUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I've heard second hand that Sony provided a reference implementation of checkerboard upscaling for the PS4 Pro so it wouldn't be unprecedented for them to get involved with that stuff

They just haven't yet, apparently

(now I think of it that's probably why games with checkerboarding on PS4 almost never keep that feature on the PC version, the implementation is Sony IP not licensed for release on other platforms)

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 28, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Wq2FPz-rs&t=295s

Look at the timestamp here. You're literally projecting an image onto the side of a curved building, so it should be distorted. If ever there was a reason to properly implement ray tracing it would have been that, but instead it's just magically flat? Control did some insane stuff with an office projector getting distorted off the character and bouncing off window reflections etc.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it weird the AMD conference just made me decide to definitely go with the 3090? The lack of RTX benchmarks and an answer to DLSS means I’m really not interested in their 6000 line at all.

It's weird that you wanna pay that much for a de-facto Titan instead of overclocking a 3080 and calling it a day, sure

I think people have been saying SLI had actually been good again on the 3000-series? If there was a way to guarantee it auto-works on every single game it could be a good option again (good in comparison to a single 3090, assuming you have the case, MOBO, and PSU to handle it), but I'm sure after stagnating by now there's probably AAA titles that just "forgot" to add it.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Look at the timestamp here. You're literally projecting an image onto the side of a curved building, so it should be distorted. If ever there was a reason to properly implement ray tracing it would have been that, but instead it's just magically flat? Control did some insane stuff with an office projector getting distorted off the character and bouncing off window reflections etc.

Are you sure that's supposed to be a wall projection and not some kind of a 3D hologram projection?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
If the 6xxx line has SR-IOV enabled, I'll probably grab a 6900 and match it with a 16+ core cpu to replace all my two ageing gaming rigs and unraid server into one box. I'm not holding my breath on that ever comming to consumer GPUs anytime soon to be honest, but hey I can still dream.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

It's weird that you wanna pay that much for a de-facto Titan instead of overclocking a 3080 and calling it a day, sure

I think people have been saying SLI had actually been good again on the 3000-series? If there was a way to guarantee it auto-works on every single game it could be a good option again (good in comparison to a single 3090, assuming you have the case, MOBO, and PSU to handle it), but I'm sure after stagnating by now there's probably AAA titles that just "forgot" to add it.

What? No. SLI is d-e-d dead, and shouldn't even be considered by anyone who can conceptualize the difference between $1500 and $3000.

Also you can't really overclock the 3080 very far at all, certainly not by enough to reach 3090 performance, and if you're gonna OC the 3080, why not OC the 3090 and be even further ahead? I mean, I don't think the 3090 is very good in a price:perf sense, but if you want the highest performance available, it's got it.

Deathreaper posted:

If the 6xxx line has SR-IOV enabled, I'll probably grab a 6900 and match it with a 16+ core cpu to replace all my two ageing gaming rigs and unraid server into one box. I'm not holding my breath on that ever comming to consumer GPUs anytime soon to be honest, but hey I can still dream.

Yeah, they'll hold that off for the FirePro lineup like always.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah SLi is deader than ever, even ignoring the fact that it's only available on the 3090. Nvidia is going to discontinue development of driver SLi profiles soon and switch to relying entirely on game developers to cover multi-GPU support, plus Ampere and future architectures don't even support the driver profiles that already exist.

needless to say, relying on game developers to support an extremely niche, difficult to implement feature is not a winning formula

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

What if you overclocked the 3090 tho? Mind blown. Mostly kidding though since you can barely overclock either, I've just always found that argument funny "what if instead of buying the nicer thing, you bought the less nice thing and overclocked it?" uuuh well because you can overclock the nicer thing, as well? Lol

That being said calling it a de facto Titan is generous, as it doesn't support Titan level driver paths. It's pretty much just a faster 3080 with way more RAM.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

The build isn't curved, and that's a hologram being projected away from the building.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cp2077 delay is good news for the majority of shoppers who now have a whole extra month to not get a gpu

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD may not be particularly eager to spend tons of wafers producing these super-low-margin chips when they could be selling six zen3 chiplets instead. What's the margin on six 3600Xs versus one 6800? Not good for the 6800 that's for sure. Despite all the "all AMD has to do is put product on the shelf!" that may not actually happen at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHoXde7YQgc

Buildzoid talking about the presentation, updating as I listen to it and he rambles.

• AMD is so short of wafers they haven't even released desktop renoir to retail, inventory is going to be crazy
  • Unlike the 6800XT, the numbers for the 6900XT were "rage mode" which probably isn't the TBP presented as stock, and also includes the DMA smart access mode
  • 6900XT probably is going to be just as bad a proposition as the 3090, relative to 3080/6800XT, as a lot of the uplift comes from their overclock+smart mode (which can be done on 6800XT as well)
  • he really likes the "set bonus"
  • NVIDIA may be able to come up with some "pathological cases" that trip up Infinity Cache by simply not fitting into cache or whatever, but do work if you have raw memory bandwidth, and use them in some new effects package
  • it's gonna be important to actually measure the TBP since AMD traditionally does not have good current monitoring for anything other than the core itself, and it may be more "spiky"

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 28, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

[*]Unlike the 6800XT, the numbers for the 6900XT were "rage mode" which probably isn't the TBP presented as stock, and also includes the DMA smart access mode
[/list]

Honestly I'm pretty ok with them using "rage mode" and whatever, since I think a large portion of people considering these new cards are also considering Zen 3.

That said, it's gonna make reviewer's lives even harder since they will need to test both with it on and with it off so that people not on Zen 3 can get a true picture of performance expectations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The shop I've ordered my 3080 at publishes what models they received and dispatched every week (no actual numbers, tho). And everytime exactly zero non-OC Asus cards. Motherfucker. And if I were to cancel my order for something else, it'll be Fall 2021 until I get a card.

--edit:
Apparently Asus stated somewhere that chips are performing too well to waste on non-OC cards, so they're prioritizing the OC ones, until NVidia can deliver bigger numbers. loving awesome.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 28, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So how do I prepare myself for the nvidia store tomorrow? I cant seem to find anywhere to save my shipping/payment details.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Have a 3080 in my cart at bestbuy that I don't even want I guess for $770.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What makes something "TITAN" as opposed to 3999 Ti gtx or whatever. What are Titan level driver paths?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

The shop I've ordered my 3080 at publishes what models they received and dispatched every week (no actual numbers, tho). And everytime exactly zero non-OC Asus cards. Motherfucker. And if I were to cancel my order for something else, it'll be Fall 2021 until I get a card.

--edit:
Apparently Asus stated somewhere that chips are performing too well to waste on non-OC cards, so they're prioritizing the OC ones, until NVidia can deliver bigger numbers. loving awesome.

Lemi translate this for ASUS.

If they could produce cards faster than they could reasonably stability check them then they would start selling not over clock cards but at this rate their testing system is not overwhelmed by their ability to produce card so they’re gonna over clock all these fuckers.

The website brags about testing them for like 140 hours or something while over clocking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Scored another 3080FE, if my buddy doesn’t want it I’ll post here.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the best buy store is truly psychotic poo poo, whoever designed it should be institutionalized

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

the best buy store is truly psychotic poo poo, whoever designed it should be institutionalized

lol it really is. Getting concert tickets isn't a perfect experience these days, but come on guys, we've been working on this problem for literal decades at this point. Do better.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

spunkshui posted:

Lemi translate this for ASUS.

"We underpriced the non-OC one, and y'all are buying the OC ones for +$50 anyhow, so we feel no need to produce the cheaper SKU until some point in the future when we aren't instantly selling out of the more expensive models"

BestBuy posted:

"We're having everyone go through one more step before it can be added. No, we won't tell you what that step is. You have to guess!"

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I just lucked out with the BB store, I guess. I just keep mashing the gray button and it eventually added something to my cart, but I couldn't check out. Repeated the process on the checkout page and it eventually let me through.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I offered mine to a friend and in the 2 minutes it took to agree they were long gone. Oh well, I don't get the point of Best buy's weird little cart queue thing if it doesn't reserve one for at least a minute or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Ugh I got one in my cart, could never check out, then it eventually deleted it. Looks like they may be releasing more though as the button now says "Waiting for more inventory" again so I guess I'll keep spamming that button