Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Does Follows-Chalk actually shoot? I was basically doing the same thing by picking off the White Legs but then one more guy appears in the distance so I just shot him too. I don't actually remember him shooting at me, he just appeared at the wrong place and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am certain there are two or three dudes near him just out of reach he quietly puts down.

I might be wrong though?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGUF0gqQnek

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Garrand posted:

Does Follows-Chalk actually shoot? I was basically doing the same thing by picking off the White Legs but then one more guy appears in the distance so I just shot him too. I don't actually remember him shooting at me, he just appeared at the wrong place and time.

Not sure if he shoots or someone next to him does, but either way, there's a gunshot from that direction and I blow his head off every time, then have to reload.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

IIRC Follows-Chalk first appears by sneaking next to a guy who's shooting at you, who Follows-Chalk then takes out as a way for the game to show FC's on your side. Trouble is, players don't always notice the kill, so they assume FC was the shooter.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I think I remember that Follows Chalk was flagged as essential until you speak to him by Obsidian but mysteriously that changed once the game was in Bethesda’s hands for testing

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

I think I remember that Follows Chalk was flagged as essential until you speak to him by Obsidian but mysteriously that changed once the game was in Bethesda’s hands for testing

If that's true than its certainly ironic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9nylND9-qE

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chamale posted:

I loved 3 because I like exploration more than I like talking to people, and 3 has more to explore than New Vegas. Is there any way to get it running stably on Windows 10?

Google “Windows 10 INI fix” and that’s all you need. TTW is a ridiculous amount of work to get the game running good and it’s not necessary. Then drop in the unofficial patch, FOSE, and the Tick Fix. Voila.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be fair this is still a bunch of work.

But I get it, TTW isn't exactly the vanilla Fallout 3 experience and it's also time consuming to install. Personally, I'd still recommend it because New Vegas just plays better and its modding community is way more impressive at this point IMHO.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be fair this is still a bunch of work.

But I get it, TTW isn't exactly the vanilla Fallout 3 experience and it's also time consuming to install. Personally, I'd still recommend it because New Vegas just plays better and its modding community is way more impressive at this point IMHO.

I’ve never seen that before. That’s not the Win 10 fix I’m referring to. It’s just two lines you edit in the INI file. I’ll add it here when I’m not phone posting.

Edit: In your Falloutprefs.ini file, change the following:
bUseThreadedAi=0
To
bUseThreadedAi=1
And right below that add this line:
iNumHWThreads=2
And that’s it! That’s all that’s needed to prevent Windows 10 from making Fallout 3 impossible to run. Then throw in the Tick Fix with FOSE, the Unofficial Patch, and you’re Golden!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 5, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Which makes it all the more absurd that the Steam version doesn't come with it enabled by default.

IIRC the GoG version of Fallout 3 does have the ini fix and the 4gb exe upgrade patched in already, because of course it does.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ThaumPenguin posted:

Which makes it all the more absurd that the Steam version doesn't come with it enabled by default.

IIRC the GoG version of Fallout 3 does have the ini fix and the 4gb exe upgrade patched in already, because of course it does.

Yep, GOG does include the INI fix. Didn’t know about the 4GB patch though, it’s dope!

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_11gCPec5w

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wish there were a dialogue option to pronounce it "Cee-zar", just to piss those fuckers off.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never seen that before. That’s not the Win 10 fix I’m referring to. It’s just two lines you edit in the INI file. I’ll add it here when I’m not phone posting.

Edit: In your Falloutprefs.ini file, change the following:
bUseThreadedAi=0
To
bUseThreadedAi=1
And right below that add this line:
iNumHWThreads=2
And that’s it! That’s all that’s needed to prevent Windows 10 from making Fallout 3 impossible to run. Then throw in the Tick Fix with FOSE, the Unofficial Patch, and you’re Golden!

I've tried this and still, every save file starts crashing after a few hours of gameplay and can't be fixed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Schadenboner posted:

I wish there were a dialogue option to pronounce it "Cee-zar", just to piss those fuckers off.

You mean Key-Zer.

But also Sea-Tsar.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chamale posted:

I've tried this and still, every save file starts crashing after a few hours of gameplay and can't be fixed.

Weird, I’ve been playing on multiple saves, modded and unmodded, for dozens of hours.

By chance, are you using Mod Organizer and maybe haven’t made the INi change thru Mod Organizer’s INI editor? If not, I’m unsure what else it could be.

Edit: also make sure not to use Stutter Remover. It has some issues with Windows 10, and Tick Fix supersedes it.

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
Marty Robbins will always be first in my heart, but Cash has a pretty strong version that I had never heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNS1cShnh6c

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

IllustriousChen posted:

Marty Robbins will always be first in my heart, but Cash has a pretty strong version that I had never heard.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite version of the song. Cash at the end of his life just gave such power and immensity to the music he made.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really enjoyed the four or so albums he made with American. poo poo like When the Man Comes Around belongs in New Vegas:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

IllustriousChen posted:

you should listen to all the rick rubin/cash albums asap

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Svengoolie tonight is 'Them!' (1954)

Set in a New Mexico desert menaced by ants made giant by the nuclear tests at White Sands, it's one of the first of the "nuclear monster" features, and the start of the "giant bug" films.

It was the general inspiration for many monsters and tropes used in the Fallout series, the monster 'giant ant' (of course), and New Vegas location Ant Mound, and the direct inspiration for the Fallout 3 quest "Those!".

"And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation, and the beasts shall reign over the earth."

HelleSpud fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 8, 2020

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

So on a pacifist run I got annoyed and restarted as a no clipping flying guy with mercy supermanning around and blowing poo poo up.

Soo now have a mod idea for a ncr start as a gunship.thst can hit three areas or so before being shot down and then starting the game and dealing with the consequences of your bombing run with the regular game

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BCR posted:

Soo now have a mod idea for a ncr start as a gunship.thst can hit three areas or so before being shot down and then starting the game and dealing with the consequences of your bombing run with the regular game

The game was rigged from the start. *snaps fingers, half the npcs disintegrate*

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

~~** ride of the valkyries **~~ being used appropriately

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

After playing with most the companions again I gotta say arcades been growing on me. Just the right amount of sass and intelligent commentary.
His quest won't fire until after you've gotten the chip though which sucks.

Veronica's dress audio clip is still the most annoying voice sample in the game. I'd forgotten how depressing her quest is as well, just no good options. Oh well I'm gonna role play the brotherhood ambush as my couriers reason for wiping out the brotherhood, if they can't even share their tech with doctors without borders than they clearly can't be trusted.

Cass is weird as hell. Her being pissed if you had bad karma was bizarre. Because the mods I use I don't get karma for killing fiends, and I need to steal a ton of poo poo to not die on survival. So I got myself in a situation where she didn't want to follow me because I didn't kill enough junkies. I do remember her quest being way longer but I think I was assuming you had to go through with the whole van graff's weapon deal to finish it. The van graff's being pissed I tattled on them to the NCR is hilarious though, ranger jackson "don't try and take matters I to your own hands" ok. Then I head to freeside and the van graff's clown car out the door and onto my 40mm grenade rounds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was the van graff hostility thing a bug? I've never gotten the ending slide where they return to California with Crimson Caravan to answer for their attacks on caravans and then they get iced by Gun Runner Mercenaries for stealing their schematics. They have to be alive for that to happen but reporting them to Jackson makes them hostile so the ending slides treat it as if you did the vengeful Cass ending.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I guess I'll see when I finish the game. I do know I killed all the guards but gloria van graff and the other named NPC' should still be alive.

Stealing the gunrunners schematics is one of the only quests I've never done. Can't betray my vendor Ron buddy like that

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was the van graff hostility thing a bug? I've never gotten the ending slide where they return to California with Crimson Caravan to answer for their attacks on caravans and then they get iced by Gun Runner Mercenaries for stealing their schematics. They have to be alive for that to happen but reporting them to Jackson makes them hostile so the ending slides treat it as if you did the vengeful Cass ending.

I think I've been able to get that ending slide with hostile Van Graffs - I only fought the unnamed guards outside and I never went back into the Silver Rush.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What the heck is a profligate anyway? Like, I looked up the dictionary definition but it seems inadequate. Caesar says he was born a profligate. Was profligate a term Romans used for others like Greeks with barbarians?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

"Profligate" is just another way of saying "degenerate".

The way Caesar's Legion uses profligate, it means not following their strict set of values and ideals; being undisciplined, imbibing in alcohol, not keeping human beings as slaves.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 14, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

"Profligate" is just another way of saying "degenerate".

The way Caesar's Legion uses profligate, it means not following their strict set of values and ideals; being undisciplined, imbibing in alcohol, not keeping human beings as slaves.

Fair enough. I didn't know if there was any historical background to it.

Apparently the beating some of your troops to death was a real historical thing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, it's where the term "decimation" comes from: an underperforming army unit would be punished by having every tenth member ("decem" is latin for 10*) get beaten to death by the other nine tenths.

It is important to note that the common usage of "decimation" has moved on to "to destroy many of" and that if you ever try to correct someone using the term in that way, you'll be a huge tit.

* This is also where we get "decimal", meaning tenths and "December", meaning tenth month. It used to be the tenth month until the Romans added January and February. Before then, the year ended with December and there were just sort of... loose days until March rolled around. Weird system.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 14, 2020

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 100 days!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, it's where the term "decimation" comes from: an underperforming army unit would be punished by having every tenth member ("decem" is latin for 10*) get beaten to death by the other nine tenths.

It is important to note that the common usage of "decimation" has moved on to "to destroy many of" and that if you ever try to correct someone using the term in that way, you'll be a huge tit.

* This is also where we get "decimal", meaning tenths and "December", meaning tenth month. It used to be the tenth month until the Romans added January and February. Before then, the year ended with December and there were just sort of... loose days until March rolled around. Weird system.

Not to derail the whole thread into ancient Roman poo poo, but I thought July and August were the two additions, for Julius Caesar and Augustus?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

croup coughfield posted:

Not to derail the whole thread into ancient Roman poo poo, but I thought July and August were the two additions, for Julius Caesar and Augustus?

It's a common misconception. July used to be named Quintilis (fifth) and August was called Sextilis (sixth). They were later given their current names by the Roman senate as an honorary gesture.

January and February were added during the Roman Kingdom, long before the Republic was even founded.

e: Rome also had this odd timekeeping system where each day lasted 12 hours, no matter how long or short the days actually were. A day was the period from sunrise to sunset, meaning that an individual hour was shorter in winter than it was in summer.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 14, 2020

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 100 days!

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's a common misconception. July used to be named Quintilis (fifth) and August was called Sextilis (sixth). They were later given their current names by the Roman senate as an honorary gesture.

January and February were added during the Roman Kingdom, long before the Republic was even founded.

e: Rome also had this odd timekeeping system where each day lasted 12 hours, no matter how long or short the days actually were. A day was the period from sunrise to sunset, meaning that an individual hour was shorter in winter than it was in summer.

lmao these fukken guys

anyway, thanks for the correction

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shoulda renamed October August.

Also it's worth noting that while decimation was a thing, it was always extremely rare because it's a horrifying atrocity.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 14, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Also rather inefficient as you reduce the size of your own army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shoulda renamed October August.

Also it's worth noting that while decimation was a thing, it was always extremely rare because it's a horrifying atrocity.

It reduced in frequency as time went on, too. When Crassus did it it was a huge controversy. By the 600s it was explicitly banned, at least if the Strategikon was reflecting policy and not just Maurice's opinion.