Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

So was Adonalasium one person that held 16 shards? Or was it one piece of power that they used the 4 Dawnshards to split into 16 pieces.

Does Odium still have access to a Dawnshard? Is that how he is Splintering shards into smaller pieces?

Did Honour have a Dawnshard which was “Unite Them”? Is that part of why Odium is still hanging around, because that Dawnshard could start putting things together again?

I kinda think it’s the second rather than the first from how everyone describes the shattering and that they killed him. I don’t think it was a power, just a person with all that power and when they died, the power fractured but I could also be wrong because I can pick up a lot but my Cosmere lore is shaky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Yeroc2 posted:

Continuing Dawnshard spoiler:

All the Dawnshards are commands, so people are theorizing the "UNITE" Dalinar keeps hearing is another Dawnshard. In my head you can put Dominion and Devotion under UNITE, and possibly also Honor. For CHANGE it's Cultivation, Ruin, and Endowment. I feel like Autonomy, Ambition, and Preservation are another grouping but I don't know what that command would be, maybe SURVIVE or something similar. Which puts Odium on his own and might be something like FEEL?

I like Survive being a Dawnshard - that could imply Kelsier is that one given the scene in Bands of Mourning.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

I kinda think it’s the second rather than the first from how everyone describes the shattering and that they killed him. I don’t think it was a power, just a person with all that power and when they died, the power fractured but I could also be wrong because I can pick up a lot but my Cosmere lore is shaky

yeah given how shards work, i'd be shocked if Adonalsium was somehow just a force and didn't have some kind of embodiment

like, it seems hard to successfully and literally Attack and Dethrone God like they did, without some kind of vessel

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Dawnshard spoiler: Lopen's chapter icon is adorable.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Dawnshard spoiler:

I used to think that the 16 people that ended up getting the 16 resulting shards were also the cause of the shattering, but it's now apparent there were only 4 people (max - can a person instantiate more than one Dawnshard?) who were directly involved in the shattering as Dawnshards. Was Hoid one of the four, or did he do time as a Dawnshard before or after the shattering? Which world are the Sleepless from?

Lots of cool Cosmere stuff but definitely more questions than answers.

EDIT: I also agree that SURVIVE or something adjacent seems obvious along with UNITE given the treatment those have been given in various books.

Also, this was very nicely written and paced. I don't think it's quite as good as Emperor's Soul, but it still strikes me that he's better in this format than in the sprawling SLA books. Part of that might be that I just like the novella characters more than many of the ones in SLA.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Dawnshard spoiler:

I used to think that the 16 people that ended up getting the 16 resulting shards were also the cause of the shattering, but it's now apparent there were only 4 people (max - can a person instantiate more than one Dawnshard?) who were directly involved in the shattering as Dawnshards. Was Hoid one of the four, or did he do time as a Dawnshard before or after the shattering? Which world are the Sleepless from?

Lots of cool Cosmere stuff but definitely more questions than answers.

EDIT: I also agree that SURVIVE or something adjacent seems obvious along with UNITE given the treatment those have been given in various books.

Also, this was very nicely written and paced. I don't think it's quite as good as Emperor's Soul, but it still strikes me that he's better in this format than in the sprawling SLA books. Part of that might be that I just like the novella characters more than many of the ones in SLA.

Hoid was there but I think that current knowledge says that he didn’t actually help with the shattering. Now if he was a Dawnshard before the shattering or after, I think before because he was already old at the shattering too. But again, my knowledge is sort of iffy on that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

Hoid was there but I think that current knowledge says that he didn’t actually help with the shattering. Now if he was a Dawnshard before the shattering or after, I think before because he was already old at the shattering too. But again, my knowledge is sort of iffy on that

i looked at wobs and hoid was definitely there but maybe not part of the actual conspiracy to do it? but it's all so vague and ambiguous -- you have to go off ones where he says that Hoid was 'involved' under 'a loose definition of involved' and one where he says Hoid would've thought the Shattering was 'kind of' necessary.

way I read it, implication is that he knew of it and maybe sympathized-but-disagreed with the people that did it. but no way of saying for sure

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Dawnshard comes out on amazon on the 10th for anyone else who missed the Kickstarter and has not been mashing f5 on amazon like I have.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

Dawnshard comes out on amazon on the 10th for anyone else who missed the Kickstarter and has not been mashing f5 on amazon like I have.

It's completely insane that it's so much easier to get a DRM free ebook via :filez: than through legal means. I'll buy the book once I can get it legally, but it's pretty stupid that I can't do that yet.

That said, dawnshard was pretty good. I really didn't like Lopen in the stormlight books, but he's a lot better when you see the world from his perspective.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

It's completely insane that it's so much easier to get a DRM free ebook via :filez: than through legal means. I'll buy the book once I can get it legally, but it's pretty stupid that I can't do that yet.

That said, dawnshard was pretty good. I really didn't like Lopen in the stormlight books, but he's a lot better when you see the world from his perspective.

I’m just gonna wait. I’m off Tuesday/Wednesday anyway.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Walh Hara posted:

Excuse me, I think you mean Radiant the Lopen

EDIT: Regarding book acquisition, :same: and completely agreed.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 9, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Walh Hara posted:

Sanderson explicitly releases all his ebooks DRM free too, because he's not an idiot, and asks that you don't pirate it out of moral obligation.

Dawnshard comes out on November 10th, and being mad that kickstarter backers got a copy a few days early is really asinine.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I might or might not :filez: a Sanderson novel just to get started reading it, but I absolutely will finish it with the hardcover in hand. It's just hard to wait.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah I broke early and got Dawnshard via :filez:, but I had a rare Saturday morning with nothing to do and I’ll buy the ebook when it’s available

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Mistborn question - I’m at what seems like the final ball at House Venture. How close am I to the avalanche? Exactly 5 hours 30 min left in the audio book. Plan on getting through most of it tomorrow (I’ll probably end up binging it all).

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The avalanche kicks off at the end of the ball.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Well that's good to know. I guess I'm heading hard into it immediately tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I only allow myself to listen while driving to keep it sacred and force me not to binge, so I've been excited for it all weekend.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's a very healthy way to consume those doorstoppers. I never had the discipline for that :(

I'm kinda excited for you, experiencing the finale of The Final Empire for the first time... ah, what a rush it was. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm guessing Coppermind won't be updated with Dawnshard stuff until after it officially comes out?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

I'm guessing Coppermind won't be updated with Dawnshard stuff until after it officially comes out?

Yes, this is the big sticky note at the head of each article:

quote:

Information from Rhythm of War is not allowed until November 17th, when it comes out. Dawnshard content should wait until non-Kickstarter backers can purchase it. See Coppermind:Spoilers for details on how you can still work on this content.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

D'oh. Don't know how I missed that :downs:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This book just made me a shout out OH gently caress and I’m still at the ball.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The holy poo poo quotient only rises from there.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Welcome to the avalanche, enjoy your ride.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The stuff with Shan was the dopest poo poo and what a loving perfect reveal and amazing way to handle that plot thread.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
While Sanderson's pacing has gotten a billion times better as he writes more and more, I kind of miss the avalanche. Elantris had a LOT of problems, but holy poo poo was the last quarter of that book nothing but a screaming rollercoaster of emotions.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Really, yeah, that Venture ball immediately followed by the fountain square kicks off a ride of a final act that I don't think he's topped since.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Really, yeah, that Venture ball immediately followed by the fountain square kicks off a ride of a final act that I don't think he's topped since.

I dunno, the last couple chapters of Hero of Ages tops for me. That was one hell of a ride.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'd put Hero of Ages 2nd, but seeing all of the stuff that clicked in to place was great.

Oathbringer's Sanderlanche was almost too much for me. Stuff like when Dalinar speaks the 3rd ideal and its immediate impact, then seeing Rock use a shardbow of all things, managing to have the character do several things I wouldn't have expected, in a single action from that character. To say nothing of the 390732097840 things that happen all in that short time frame. Or characters like Adolin and his growth, especially after Shadesmar.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Rhythm of War reviews have something to say about the Sanderlanche: There is apparently no Sanderlanche in RoW :(

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I still think The avalanche in Stormlight 1 with the race to the plateau is my all time favorite. To me it is the perfect poo poo is hitting the fan and just rolling action.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Torrannor posted:

The Rhythm of War reviews have something to say about the Sanderlanche: There is apparently no Sanderlanche in RoW :(

Hopefully, that means book 5, being the last one in this part is all avalanche.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd put Hero of Ages 2nd, but seeing all of the stuff that clicked in to place was great.

My second in his work is probably Words of Radiance.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was having a hard time deciding, but yea I think Way of Kings is probably still my favorite.

Like how do you top this conversation:

quote:

“What is a man’s life worth?” Dalinar asked softly.
“The slavemasters say one is worth about two emerald broams,” Kaladin said, frowning.
“And what do you say?”
“A life is priceless,” he said immediately, quoting his father.
Dalinar smiled, wrinkle lines extending from the corners of his eyes. “Coincidentally, that is the exact value of a Shardblade. So today, you and your men sacrificed to buy me twenty-six hundred priceless lives. And all I had to repay you with was a single priceless sword. I call that a bargain.”

You can't :colbert:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fezz posted:

So like A Memory of Light?

Because I’m totally good with that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd say Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are Stormlight Archive's Final Empire, Oathbringer and Rhythm of War are Well of Ascension, and Stormlight 5 is hopefully Hero of Ages.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

This book just made me a shout out OH gently caress and I’m still at the ball.

The conversation with Elend, or with Kliss?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anshu posted:

The conversation with Elend, or with Kliss?

Everything Kliss revealed.

EDIT: Can you flare Atium and Gold? I don’t think that’s been addressed.

Also just got to the Pits. gently caress yes. Glad to get to see this.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 9, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Everything Kliss revealed.

EDIT: Can you flare Atium and Gold? I don’t think that’s been addressed.

Also just got to the Pits. gently caress yes. Glad to get to see this.

What did you think of Elend's carriage ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

This book just made me a shout out OH gently caress and I'm still at the ball.

Welcome to the Sanderlanche!

Torrannor posted:

Not too much of a surprise, because it began with a Sanderlanche to the offscreen book happening in the 1 year time skip between OB and RoW :v: I'll be very interested to finish RoW and see why he made the decision to structure the book differently compared to the previous ones.

Fezz posted:

KKKLIP ART posted:

So like A Memory of Light?

Because I’m totally good with that.

:same: