Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i want native iOS simulator

faster compiles would be nice too

if these macs don't compile faster than the mac pro while also sucking me off, i'm gonna be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

what kind of heavy lifting do goons do on their macs?

x64 VMs so we shall see what VMware has up their sleeve.

But also arduino programming and circuit design tools. Mostly Java. Mostly on fire.

Some Xcode programming when the mood strikes.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Whelp, several months back I was asking about upgrading my 2013 MBP and everyone said to wait. I've now waited and now I have to wait a few more weeks for the bigger reviews. Looks like the ARM is doing better on first round of tests so that's good. Don't know if I'll go with ARM though. Might go with the Intel based MBP for a few years and then upgrade again as a lot of my free time development involves Windows at this point. Checking on eBay my seven year old computer is still pulling ~$300 so I figure the soon to be "obsolete" Intel MPB will have some value I can extract after a few years of using it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
as long as they can boot camp, I think there will be a market for intel Macs. I don’t think their value is ever going to simply tank overnight because of Apple Silicon

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

as long as they can boot camp, I think there will be a market for intel Macs. I don’t think their value is ever going to simply tank overnight because of Apple Silicon

The market for those will be regulated to professionals that have specific old software they need to run. I can guarantee you people are ALL about the new apple silicon. Over the last week I've had conversations about this with many folks, and they are all hyped to get one of the new M1 machines.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

i think that Apple will keep Intel Macs around 'for as long as they sell.'

They kept the Apple ][ Plus, Apple //e, and Apple //GS around for years as cash cows while only performing the most inconsequential upgrades they could get away with and occasional lip service ("Apple II Forever" lol)

Intel will always exist and there will always be a demand for Intel processors.. but as usual you won't see an 11th gen Intel CPU in a Mac until every other computer maker has moved on to 14th gen i7xx or whatever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think they'll keep them around until all of their lines are running faster apple series chips and kill them, barring keeping a couple of models that never get any kind of updates. i don't think it's going to be worth it to them to keep the hw and sw teams split between the two platforms, and the longer they keep intel around, the longer they have to maintain macos updates for them

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I absolutely do not need it but pulled the trigger on an MBA with apple silicone. I’m super intrigued and want to play with one of these things.

In the past year or 2 my workflow has changed quite a bit. My homelab server sits in a closet packed away and when I want to build a dev environment or server I use either my rpi4 or spin up a DO droplet. I spend most of my computer touching time in a shell. So a small fanless laptop that hopefully won’t be super hot and blow hot air on my thighs while I sit on the couch hacking away at whatever sounds great. If it’s mega fast, even better.

The only real concern I have is not being able to spin up a kali or windows VM. Is there anything known about if/when that will be possible? Will there be a way to run an arm based Linux distro in a VM day one? VMware not sharing any dates is annoying and all I can find just seems like hearsay.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Earth posted:

Whelp, several months back I was asking about upgrading my 2013 MBP and everyone said to wait. I've now waited and now I have to wait a few more weeks for the bigger reviews. Looks like the ARM is doing better on first round of tests so that's good. Don't know if I'll go with ARM though. Might go with the Intel based MBP for a few years and then upgrade again as a lot of my free time development involves Windows at this point. Checking on eBay my seven year old computer is still pulling ~$300 so I figure the soon to be "obsolete" Intel MPB will have some value I can extract after a few years of using it.

That value is dependent on the machine actually surviving for that long, you can never count on resale value.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Totally Huge posted:

The only real concern I have is not being able to spin up a kali or windows VM. Is there anything known about if/when that will be possible? Will there be a way to run an arm based Linux distro in a VM day one? VMware not sharing any dates is annoying and all I can find just seems like hearsay.

Seems likely you'll be limited to ARM VMs at least for the foreseeable future. I assume Windows on ARM (which does have x86 emulation and soon x64 emulation as well) will be possible. People using Docker are going to be the ones that feel the pain the most (and will probably either switch to a real computer or keep running Intel Macs for as long as possible).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redeyes posted:

The market for those will be regulated to professionals that have specific old software they need to run. I can guarantee you people are ALL about the new apple silicon. Over the last week I've had conversations about this with many folks, and they are all hyped to get one of the new M1 machines.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. People are hyped. I’m hyped. I just don’t think that Intel Macs are going to get treated like scrap the way lots of people seem to think. I think a lot of hobbyists and collectors will still want one, and I think a few people will throw windows or Linux on them if Apple totally abandons them but the hardware remains relatively performant by Intel’s standards.

A lot of these current x86 CPUs are probably going to stay relatively relevant in that space for a while, even if ARM-based tech goes off in a totally different direction now that the Mac is on that architecture.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

That value is dependent on the machine actually surviving for that long, you can never count on resale value.

I've still got my MBPs from 2004, 2008, and 2013 and all still boot and work. I'm not too concerned about it not surviving.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh, don’t get me wrong. People are hyped. I’m hyped. I just don’t think that Intel Macs are going to get treated like scrap the way lots of people seem to think. I think a lot of hobbyists and collectors will still want one, and I think a few people will throw windows or Linux on them if Apple totally abandons them but the hardware remains relatively performant by Intel’s standards.

A lot of these current x86 CPUs are probably going to stay relatively relevant in that space for a while, even if ARM-based tech goes off in a totally different direction now that the Mac is on that architecture.

Yeah, I'm hoping to pick up a final-release Intel Mac Pro somewhere that has a good close-out sale, just to have flexibility options. I'll probably transition all my other Macs to Apple Silicon though as they lose support or get too slow.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure you'll have all that much flexibility with that Mac Pro. I can't imagine driver support for new cards is going to be all that great in the future (and it isn't even now, when we're looking at graphics cards where no good ones are available for the Mac Pro).

Earth posted:

I've still got my MBPs from 2004, 2008, and 2013 and all still boot and work. I'm not too concerned about it not surviving.

It's a question of luck and probability, just keep that in mind. And who knows how in-demand Intel Macs will be a few years down the line.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I completely blanked on Apple Silicon being now - I'd been vaguely shopping for an MBA for my wife for Christmas over the last month, and did a double-take when I checked the site yesterday and everything was new and M1.

I think that'll be fine for her though, she mostly does light stuff, but also some Photoshop and using giant coloured Excel sheets for crochet patterns (no idea which part of the computer is taxed by that, but it'll be an improvement over her 2012 11")

Meanwhile I'll squeeze another few years out of my Mid-2014 15", I'm still on Mojave waiting for a key bit of software to go 64-bit, so I'll let my wife be the early-adopter guinea pig :v:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Totally Huge posted:

I absolutely do not need it but pulled the trigger on an MBA with apple silicone. I’m super intrigued and want to play with one of these things.

In the past year or 2 my workflow has changed quite a bit. My homelab server sits in a closet packed away and when I want to build a dev environment or server I use either my rpi4 or spin up a DO droplet. I spend most of my computer touching time in a shell. So a small fanless laptop that hopefully won’t be super hot and blow hot air on my thighs while I sit on the couch hacking away at whatever sounds great. If it’s mega fast, even better.

That's my only concern too. I occasionally need to fire up a windows VM on my laptop, like at least once or twice a week. My Mac Mini also runs a Windows VM 24/7 for 1 app I purchased that only runs on Windows (Blue Iris).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm basically the emblem of an apple custome; frontend web dev, music production hobbyist, graphic hobbyist. The ARM transition is interesting to me but until Adobe CC is out and 100% proven to work, to say nothing of various music software and plugins, I just can't do it.

My tasks aren't super heavy but I need a VM running constantly, Photoshop always open and the requisite 25+ chrome tabs. A limit of 16GB is fine, my work computer is 16GB. I would not purchase anything below 16GB going forward - this specific machine was picked because it has user upgrade-able RAM.

It's certainly interesting times for the Mac platform. I less and less use a laptop in favor of my home PC and the mac mini I carry for work. If one could match my occasional use 13" 2015 in spec for way less cash... great outcome for me.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

i think that Apple will keep Intel Macs around 'for as long as they sell.'

They kept the Apple ][ Plus, Apple //e, and Apple //GS around for years as cash cows while only performing the most inconsequential upgrades they could get away with and occasional lip service ("Apple II Forever" lol)

Intel will always exist and there will always be a demand for Intel processors.. but as usual you won't see an 11th gen Intel CPU in a Mac until every other computer maker has moved on to 14th gen i7xx or whatever.

I feel like you’d want to compare to how quickly they killed off the PowerPC line as a comparisons rather than Apple ancient history.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truthfully that's a good place to be. I would never be the first person to try out an ARM Mac because there are just so many stupid little things that can be a huge problem for your workflow.

Like, I'm barely aware of how many little apps I use that are probably maintained by some guy who updates it every few years if he remembers. Or companies that just don't give much of a poo poo about their MacOS side and will take months and months to fix everything or whatever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's probably a million mac OS apps that are ported by the one person who uses Mac OS at the dev company. Not every org is Panic.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Panic to move all their applications to being Playdate exclusive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Panic to move all their applications to being Playdate exclusive.

as an aside i'm extremely stoked for that weirdo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Well I was planning on getting a new Mac, now my hand is forced because my work 2015 mbp is not powering up, coincidentally after my 4 year niece threw my backpack on the floor

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

well why not posted:

There's probably a million mac OS apps that are ported by the one person who uses Mac OS at the dev company. Not every org is Panic.

I haven't ordered one, but the vast majority of the native apps I use are exclusive mac apps or at least have a huge mac audience. I feel like I slowly gravitate towards exclusives as well and that's not an uncommon attitude.

mimestream, postico, omnigraffe, affinity, proxyman, plus all the apple stuff like final cut and logic

Everything else is already a weird chrome app (discord/slack) or has a huge software dev audience who do use macs like vscode

The few remaining ones like Ultimaker Cura, I already use begrudgingly and it cannot be that much worse via rosetta.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

given how ubiquitous VMs and containers are, there's a big chunk of users who can't migrate right now even if they wanted to

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
oh right docker, it'll be interesting to see how fast popular images get arm support, a cursory look shows most of the common ones like postgres, redis, etc do at least have native support

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have zero VM experience. Is it even feasible to run a VM or like a Wine thing to bridge the gap for those ne’er do wells that might not be ready to go?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You can definitely run virtual arm64 linux then run qemu to emulate x86, but the performance hit will be huge, hopefully there will be a faster solution.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

no one knows but who's going to go to the trouble of setting up an arm docker workflow locally then pushing out to x86 in production/remotely.

ultimately, it might push more people to treat the laptop as a thin client and running everything on the cloud.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

doingitwrong posted:

I feel like you’d want to compare to how quickly they killed off the PowerPC line as a comparisons rather than Apple ancient history.

Don't forget the Apple Watch Series 0; a hardware beta test.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I have zero VM experience. Is it even feasible to run a VM or like a Wine thing to bridge the gap for those ne’er do wells that might not be ready to go?

In my experience wine is a bit of a mess without 32 bit support.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
When should we expect reviews of the M1 Macs?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

When should we expect reviews of the M1 Macs?

24-48hrs before they begin shipping.

So tomorrow, basically.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Yeast posted:

24-48hrs before they begin shipping.

So tomorrow, basically.

Are these typically in-depth, or should I just expect a bunch of folks rushing to be the first one to post cinebench scores?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I knew the AS Macs were coming but ended up with a brand new Intel MBP a couple weeks ago anyway because I had to start a work project that my aging Surface Pro 4 couldn’t handle and I didn’t want to be bound to a desktop workstation. Got the 4 Thunderbolt port 13”, 500/16.

So far the Intel MBP is a huge improvement over the SP4 (everything runs so much smoother, especially video editing, and Zoom + anything else) and I got it for the price of an 8/256 thanks to an open box deal. But besides the immediate need, I’m provided Adobe CC by my institution, so the lack of guaranteed support for that right now means I’d realistically still be stuck at my workstation even if I hadn’t jumped the gun and instead picked up one of the new architecture machines.

But I’m masochistically interested to see if the optimizations of the cheaper M1 MBP with 8GB of RAM allow it to handle something like my daily work hellzone of Teams, Zoom, and a bunch of Chrome tabs and/or 4K timelines in Premiere open at the same time. I’m sitting on my Intel MBP with “Memory Used” at 8-12GB and wired memory close to or at 8GB most of the time at work according to Activity Monitor.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
No reason other than margins and yields that Apple couldn’t put larger memory modules on the soc right? Seems like the next tier would have up to 64gig available. That would be amazing performance for large memory jobs given the latency.

Also tried to use my ipad 5 or whatever and the thing is a dog. I forgot about the typing lag.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

cowofwar posted:

No reason other than margins and yields that Apple couldn’t put larger memory modules on the soc right? Seems like the next tier would have up to 64gig available. That would be amazing performance for large memory jobs given the latency.

More RAM is going to have to wait for chips designed only for Macs. The M1 is (well, appears to be) an iPad/low-end-Mac crossover chip. It'll be called something else (A14X most likely) in an iPad, and some Mac-only features won't be used, just as some iPad-only features aren't used in M1.

But the thing which will stay the same is the memory interface. Judging by the (highly photoshopped) pictures Apple showed, just like the old A12Z iPad Pro chip, the M1 package has two sites for soldering on LPDDR4 memory packages. They're limited by the biggest LPDDR4x package they can get, and that is probably 8GB.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SMERSH Mouth posted:

But I’m masochistically interested to see if the optimizations of the cheaper M1 MBP with 8GB of RAM allow it to handle something like my daily work hellzone of Teams, Zoom, and a bunch of Chrome tabs and/or 4K timelines in Premiere open at the same time. I’m sitting on my Intel MBP with “Memory Used” at 8-12GB and wired memory close to or at 8GB most of the time at work according to Activity Monitor.

RAM usage won't go down with ARM, it's an architecture change. And an emulation layer like Rosetta will certainly increase the overhead quite a bit.

Big Sur in itself doesn't seem less heavy than its predecessor, either.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 15, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

"Service Recommended: The battery is performing normally, but its ability to hold a charge is less than when it was new. You may want to consider replacing the battery."

this is a 2019 13' mbp i've had for 11 months and i have applecare. can i get a free battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thauros posted:

"Service Recommended: The battery is performing normally, but its ability to hold a charge is less than when it was new. You may want to consider replacing the battery."

this is a 2019 13' mbp i've had for 11 months and i have applecare. can i get a free battery?

probably. just have them do an online battery check and they’ll prolly have you send it in. it’s overnighted both ways so super quick.