Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Artelier posted:

I have almost all those games already but they're great suggestions because why look for a new game when I can just play ones I already own? They're exactly in line with what I want! The Streets of Rage 4 one in particular is good since after its first couple of weeks it became stressful because I kept going for and then defending a speedrun world record I had for a while (which I have since dropped). Then I spent some time learning how to spedrun Mania and got a big roadblock in stage 6. Just because I made it stressful doesn't mean it inherently has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

PMush Perfect posted:

Yes. Who has a world record in what?

It was like two posts above the post that kicked off this dumbass conversation :psyduck:. Come on, y'all.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Artelier posted:

Any recommendations for "quick game for break" on PC? The kind that fires up quickly, you can spend like 5 to 15 minutes doing one thing, and then done.

Consider giving Islanders a shot? Super chill puzzle game, you can quit and continue where you left off whenever, no time pressure of any kind. Just solid and chill urban planning puzzle gameplay

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I love character creation, pouring over class decisions and mapping out builds and such. Any games that scratch that itch particularly well? Especially any games that enable that kinda stuff for more than just the beginning of the playthrough. Primarily use PC, but have Switch/3DS and am open to any emulating.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I love character creation, pouring over class decisions and mapping out builds and such. Any games that scratch that itch particularly well? Especially any games that enable that kinda stuff for more than just the beginning of the playthrough. Primarily use PC, but have Switch/3DS and am open to any emulating.

Warframe and Path of Exile leap to mind

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

I had fun with builds in Horizon's Gate and Voidspire Tactics, plus Alvora Tactics though that one feels lighter somehow.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Monster Hunter World's progression is entirely about planning and working toward equipment builds. While armor and weapons have the usual base defense and attack, you often ignore those and instead work toward gear with specific skills, set bonuses, sockets for skill decorations, sharpness levels, supplemental offense/defensive abilities, elemental effects and resistances, etc. It's not Path of Exile levels of spreadsheeting, but it's in-depth enough that people bother making build planners for it. The game has a handy wishlist function for easy tracking of what you need (including wishlisting not-yet-unlocked weapons in the tree, so that you get notifications once you've unlocked and collected parts for them).

That said, the first few hours are pretty simple in their progression. You unlock most of the craftable gear by hunting new monsters, so you gotta go out and do some hunts to have options beyond "iron weapon +2" and such. Character build planning really picks up by the time you're halfway through the base game, and it opens up even more in the expansion, Iceborne. The endgame equipment stuff (augmenting your gear via the Guiding Lands, the final piece of the character build puzzle) is a slog IMO, but some people are into it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If you like TBS's Age of Wonders: Planetfall has leveling hero units and even the basic units have three slots to put various upgrades, newer and better options for which you'll unlock as a game goes on. You literally just missed a sale but definitely wishlist it for some other time (get the premium edition).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I once watched a man on Adderall stare at a Fallout: New Vegas level up perk screen for over an hour.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I once watched a man on Adderall stare at a Fallout: New Vegas level up perk screen for over an hour.

please don't doxx me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shine posted:

It was like two posts above the post that kicked off this dumbass conversation :psyduck:. Come on, y'all.
:cripes:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Artelier posted:

Any recommendations for "quick game for break" on PC? The kind that fires up quickly, you can spend like 5 to 15 minutes doing one thing, and then done.

For me these used to be Hearthstone, then I quit, and I replaced it with online Chess, and as I am coming to learn, neither are any good at the chill part.

I used to have the Konami Picross on phone but that's finally done earlier this year too. I have Shadowhand, its chillness ranges from "This is fun and relaxing" to "MY GOD DOn'T BE SUCH A DICK WITH THE RANDOMNESS"

One Finger Death Punch 1 or 2 are great for this. Each level usually lasts around 2 minutes, so you can do as much as you want easily, but it does get addictive. It's kind of a rhythm/fighting game thing - it's basically 1-D kung fu, guys are coming at you from the right and the left and you click the left mouse button to punch left and the right mouse button to punch right. It starts very simple and then becomes more complex as you start linking combos, having to do specific patterns of hits, things speed up, and etc. It's extremely well produced with great cartoon graphics and satisfying oomph behind the punching. Plus the games should be super cheap to buy. You only need to get one of them unless you really love it, both are basically the same game.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 15, 2020

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tome4 is Diablo characters and loot but a turn based roguelike

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

One thing to clarify about Monster Hunter World, when they launched the Iceborne expansion, they added overpowered newbie equipment to the base game: Defender weapons, and Guardian armor. I'd suggest skipping these pieces, even though the game "helpfully" encourages you to use them.

This gear is super overpowered and meant to help people rush through the early game, basically catch-up armor so you can join your friends who started earlier, and get to Iceborne content quickly. The problem is that by using them, you won't learn how to play the game properly, as you'll be able to more-or-less button mash the first half of the game. Then when stuff begins to do actual damage to you, you'll have to basically start over, in that you'll then be forced to learn the mechanics of Monster Hunter combat, which imo would be more annoying than just starting out that way on the slow, easy early monsters. Plus, using that gear means you have no real reason to dig into the early game crafting, because the stats on anything you'll craft are dwarfed by the Defender/Guardian gear. Think of it as cheat gear.

That said, I found value in that armor when my spouse got into the game, as she'd never been big into video games and had to learn how 3D action games control in general, nevermind the MH specifics. But if you have more recent 3D game experience than Mario 64, then that shouldn't apply to you.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Naramyth posted:

Tome4 is Diablo characters and loot but a turn based roguelike

Is the gameplay still trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, whoops that wasn't a trash mob and I got one-shot? I bounced off Tome pretty badly because of that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ashenai posted:

Is the gameplay still trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, whoops that wasn't a trash mob and I got one-shot? I bounced off Tome pretty badly because of that.

Yea, it's very much still that

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ashenai posted:

That’s pretty fair. I currently play with a custom difficulty mod: middle difficulty scaling with the rares/bosses of hard (not madness). It makes maps way more fun since you have way more real fights but things are exhaustingly scaled.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Ashenai posted:

A lot of roguelikes tend to have this issue to varying degrees.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What are 2D games sort of like Spelunky? Don’t have to be roguelikes, but ones where they are mostly played with a controller and 20-30 minute sessions make sense.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tildes posted:

What are 2D games sort of like Spelunky? Don’t have to be roguelikes, but ones where they are mostly played with a controller and 20-30 minute sessions make sense.

Hades

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

This is a very good recommendation for my very broad request! -- I guess I should mention I've already played:
- Hades
- Undermine
- Dead Cells
- Rogue Legacy (2)
- Katana Zero

Which are all sort of in this type of category I think?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

tildes posted:

Steamworld Dig 1 and 2.

Celeste, maybe, although I guess as the game goes on it gets harder and longer?

Crypt of the Necrodancer isn't a platformer, but it's got some similarities to Spelunky you might enjoy, like being a roguelike where you dig through walls and have to collect good gear.

And if you're not aware, there was a Spelunky 2 released a month ago.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

20XX is a Megaman roguelite. Cryptark is a twin-stick shooter about creeping around alien hulks and/or blasting away with four guns mounted on your mech. Catacomb Kids is a hard platforming roguelike with tons of object and environment interactions. Crypt of the Necrodancer is a rhythm-based roguelike that you could play with a dance pad if you wanted to, so a controller is definitely doable. Sky Rogue is an arcade dogfighter roguelite.

Those are the games that come to mind when I think "controller support and short sessions". Cryptark's campaign mode is longer than 30 minutes but it's broken up into 5-10 minute levels so you can pick up and drop it as needed.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

tildes posted:

Noita is cave exploration like Spelunky with funny physics.

If you are OK with shooters there's plenty like enter the gungeon or risk of rain

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 17, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tildes posted:

Terraria maybe?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tildes posted:

Topdown OK? Neon Chrome

Unless by 2D you mean a platformer in which case ignore me

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

tildes posted:

Katana Zero, or Hotline Miami, Streets of Rage 4

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I'm interested in suggestions for singleplayer shooter open world games for PC, especially recent ones since I haven't played many new games over the past several years. Having a stealth element is a nice added bonus, and I prefer first person but third person is okay too. What I like are Stalker (this was perfect) and Far Crys 3 and 4. Fallout New Vegas was good for me but it's leaning towards the RPG side so not perfect. Splinter Cell Blacklist wasn't open-worldy enough but still close to the ballpark because of the stealth/shooter element. I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution a lot, not too much RPG there but still not really an open world even though the levels were big.

What I already have on my radar to play - Metal Gear Solid 5, Far Cry 5, and Dying Light. My questions - what am I missing that I should look at? Ghost Recon: Wildlands seems like it could be right up my alley but does it work single player? The Outer Worlds sounds good but how much is it an RPG and how much a shooter? Same question for Fallout 4, which I kind of know what to expect from after playing New Vegas. Is Red Dead 2 the one for me?

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 17, 2020

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
A slightly specific request - are there any decent isometric/topdown ARPGs that are less about murdering 1000 mobs per second for epics? Something slightly more focused on story with a slower pace perhaps - I like the gameplay of D3/PoE/GD briefly, but quickly lose interest when it becomes dashing around the map at hyperspeed killing stuff as fast as possible.

gohuskies posted:

I'm interested in suggestions for singleplayer shooter open world games for PC, especially recent ones since I haven't played many new games over the past several years. Having a stealth element is a nice added bonus, and I prefer first person but third person is okay too. What I like are Stalker (this was perfect) and Far Crys 3 and 4. Fallout New Vegas was good for me but it's leaning towards the RPG side so not perfect. Splinter Cell Blacklist wasn't open-worldy enough but still close to the ballpark because of the stealth/shooter element. I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution a lot, not too much RPG there but still not really an open world even though the levels were big.

What I already have on my radar to play - Metal Gear Solid 5, Far Cry 5, and Dying Light. My questions - what am I missing that I should look at? Ghost Recon: Wildlands seems like it could be right up my alley but does it work single player? The Outer Worlds sounds good but how much is it an RPG and how much a shooter? Same question for Fallout 4, which I kind of know what to expect from after playing New Vegas. Is Red Dead 2 the one for me?

I might suggest Horizon Zero Dawn actually. It depends how you define 'shooting' - there's no guns, but combat is primarily ranged and focused on precision shots. Some light RPG-ish stuff with loot, levels, talents etc, very big open world with tons of content, stealth and setting up for fights via traps and terrain is a big deal. Very good game overall, it did scratch the same itch as shooter games do for me.

Razakai fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 17, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As someone who loves open world games, and plays a lot of them, my ultimate takeaway is that nobody has surpassed Grand Theft Auto V or Red Dead Redemption 2. It's not even a close race. The amount of attention and care put into these games is mind boggling, it is actually pure insanity that GTA5 came out in 2013.

The game I would place in third place in this genre would probably be Watch Dogs 2 followed by Sleeping Dogs, although I am hesitant to call these games shooters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Razakai posted:

A slightly specific request - are there any decent isometric/topdown ARPGs that are less about murdering 1000 mobs per second for epics? Something slightly more focused on story with a slower pace perhaps - I like the gameplay of D3/PoE/GD briefly, but quickly lose interest when it becomes dashing around the map at hyperspeed killing stuff as fast as possible.

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

As someone who loves open world games, and plays a lot of them, my ultimate takeaway is that nobody has surpassed Grand Theft Auto V or Red Dead Redemption 2. It's not even a close race. The amount of attention and care put into these games is mind boggling, it is actually pure insanity that GTA5 came out in 2013.

The game I would place in third place in this genre would probably be Watch Dogs 2 followed by Sleeping Dogs, although I am hesitant to call these games shooters.

Man, I find every single of those boring as hell except sleeping dogs.

Dishonored while not open world is big on stealth and creativity. Stalker isn't recent, but is really interesting and big on thinking about ways to approach enemies that aren't just charging in guns blazing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Razakai posted:

Ys games maybe? The story is generally simplistic but it's there. I've played Origins recently and the bosses are pretty fun.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

gohuskies posted:

How about Borderlands 3?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Razakai posted:

Van Helsing final cut is surprisingly story heavy for being about killing infinite mobs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Man, I find every single of those boring as hell except sleeping dogs.

You kinda have to be willing to give yourself over to the game and just be immersed in it. I realize that probably sounds lame but imo it takes these games (GTA5 and RDR2) to the next level. obviously tastes are subjective though, I can totally see why someone would find them to be boring.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yakuza.

Just for open world game, not as a shooter, obviously.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Is there any such thing as a modern take on the old NES classic Solstice?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wildlands works just fine as a single player game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yakuza.

Just for open world game, not as a shooter, obviously.

On my list of things to get to, except every time I check back with it there's another new one out and it makes the idea of tackling the series ever the more daunting