Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I’ve now changed my mind that Yes Man is the only true moral ending, but NCR with all the fixing the courier does is probably the most harm-reduction ending for the people of the Mojave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

oh jay posted:

I just realized how much that NCRCF jailbreak affected the region.

- Leads to Powder Gangers raiding nearby region, including Goodsprings.
- One group of unaffiliated Convicts occupy Primm.
- Another group lead by Cooke and Lem find their way to Vault 19.
- Oh, and since they aren't mining anymore, a bunch of Deathclaws move into Quarry junction, ruining the I-15 route into Vegas.
- Which leads to caravans being backed up at Mojave Outpost down south.
- And another group of Powder Gangers take up to hanging out at Nipton, leading to the Legion's Lottery.

All from a jailbreak that happened, like, one week before you enter the Mojave.

I love this game. :allears:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Yeah that should be the true standard of environmental storytelling, not skeletons hugging

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sheen Sheen posted:

Yeah that should be the true standard of environmental storytelling, not skeletons hugging

Have you considered two skeletons fighting?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
have you considered toilet skeleton

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

You got a problem with four skeletons with pistols at the entrance to a Vault?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's weird how nobody actually gets mad at that one, because it's literally environmental skeletons and a nearby minute-long audio log about them.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Skeleton war. Skeleton war never changes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's weird how nobody actually gets mad at that one, because it's literally environmental skeletons and a nearby minute-long audio log about them.

Cause you go through a whole vault that pulls a switcheroo on expectations multiple times that recontextualizes all the information you gather as you go.

Also you fight a bunch of murder bots. That's always cool.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DACK FAYDEN posted:

have you considered toilet skeleton

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marshal Radisic posted:

You got a problem with four skeletons with pistols at the entrance to a Vault?

Difference between skeletons in a long abandoned vault and skeletons in a currently occupied diner/trading pose.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's still wild to me that they got Steve Blum onboard just to make him voice parts of a single audio log.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I don't think I ever got through a vault in NV; the combination of constantly resused hallway assets and the low resolution and long loading times of playing on a 360 made them annoying as hell to navigate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the deathclaws moved into the quarry because there weren't many people there, does that mean that they usually avoid humans? Should there be a way to scare deathclaws out of an area?

Deathclaws don't really make much sense to me as an animal. I know that there was some kind of exposition about them that people hated in Fallout 2, but I don't know what they were supposed to be other than a big ol' generic monster in either of the original Fallout games.

I'm not really sure that the animal ecosystem of New Vegas is that deep compared to the human culture.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SlothfulCobra posted:

If the deathclaws moved into the quarry because there weren't many people there, does that mean that they usually avoid humans? Should there be a way to scare deathclaws out of an area?
Presumably, once a herd? of deathclaws move into an area, they become incredibly reluctant to leave.

quote:

Deathclaws don't really make much sense to me as an animal. I know that there was some kind of exposition about them that people hated in Fallout 2, but I don't know what they were supposed to be other than a big ol' generic monster in either of the original Fallout games.

They're supposed to be mutated goats that are a byproduct of one of Pre-War America's wacky science projects, like Super Mutants or cazadores.

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's still wild to me that they got Steve Blum onboard just to make him voice parts of a single audio log.

New Vegas is full of that, Kris Kristofferson was brought in for a single sidequest.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I thought Deathclaws were FEV'd chameleons

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought super mutants were a postwar science project.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, they're chameleons. But reptiles that size should spend all their time basking and waiting to ambush things, not wandering around like deathclaws do. And why did they move into the quarry when there are no food sources anywhere near it? The only large prey species in the Mojave seems to be the bighorners, but we don't see deathclaws or giant geckos living near the bighorner herds.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're Genetically engineered chameleons, In F2 the enclave used the FEV to give them intelligence. You meet a group of them who escaped living in a vault, and then can help them to acquire the GECK. Then the enclave slaughters them. By the time of F3 the enclave is using some sort of mind control device to control their deathclaws instead of boosting their intelligence.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
There are also the Midwestern Deathclaws. They have some fur and they can talk.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

They're Genetically engineered chameleons, In F2 the enclave used the FEV to give them intelligence. You meet a group of them who escaped living in a vault, and then can help them to acquire the GECK. Then the enclave slaughters them. By the time of F3 the enclave is using some sort of mind control device to control their deathclaws instead of boosting their intelligence.

Honestly it's really disappointing the talking deathclaws haven't shown up again since Fallout 2, since they're a natural fit for the setting. This series is all about the different societies that have formed and risen up in the post-apocalypse, but everyone to a degree is still surviving off of the ruins of old world technology or ideology. A non-human faction that wasn't reliant on the old world, and can instead survive and thrive on their own merits, would be a great contrast to the existing factions (As well as to the Master's Army from the original Fallout, which had shades of this going on but ultimately failed).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Honestly it's really disappointing the talking deathclaws haven't shown up again since Fallout 2, since they're a natural fit for the setting. This series is all about the different societies that have formed and risen up in the post-apocalypse, but everyone to a degree is still surviving off of the ruins of old world technology or ideology. A non-human faction that wasn't reliant on the old world, and can instead survive and thrive on their own merits, would be a great contrast to the existing factions (As well as to the Master's Army from the original Fallout, which had shades of this going on but ultimately failed).

Yeah, I've never got the hate for the talking deathclaws, It's far from the stupidest thing in Fallout 2. I guess people just can't handle talking animals

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Fans complained so hard about the talking Deathclaws that Chris Avellone sent them to their home planet (they died on the way) in the Fallout Bible and no developer on Fallout has had any interest in resurrecting them since.

Fallout Tactics had a totally separate furry talking deathclaw though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the problem with living off the land without the use of old world technology is that the setting is uncomfortable with acknowledging how fertile or full of life the world is.

As a player you're probably already aware of the fact that you can scrounge food growing wild all over the place, and there don't seem to be major issues with farming, but Fallout is supposed to be about wastelands. Fallout 3 is especially weird about it.

Maybe prewar California somehow destroyed its aquifers, because if it didn't, the only obstacles to becoming an agricultural powerhouse are on the industrial level with fertilizer production or harvesting equipment.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I mean, we're on pace to turn California into a desert by 2077 without a nuclear war. Maybe America is a wasteland because of drained aquifers, soil degradation, and desertification, and the post-apocalyptic people blame it on the nukes because they don't know it was simply overfarming.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

California is already running out of water. The idea that the fallout usa has totally destroyed the environment to the point where it's barely recovered in two hundred years is actually not that far fetched. It would be suck if the next fallout went in the opposite direction and had trees and vines overtaking all the old skyscrapers and buildings though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly California should be pretty well off, because the apocalypse happened in the 50s, so there wouldn't be the last 70 years of ruining the state's environment underground. No emptying the aquifers or fracking, possibly even more oil left underground since the US was moving away from fossil fuels. Maybe after nuclear fire and radiation devastated the forests, there wouldn't be enough growth to constantly catch fire either.

Although there already has been a Fallout with a lush, fertile environment, and it's Horizon Zero Dawn.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly California should be pretty well off, because the apocalypse happened in the 50s, so there wouldn't be the last 70 years of ruining the state's environment underground. No emptying the aquifers or fracking, possibly even more oil left underground since the US was moving away from fossil fuels. Maybe after nuclear fire and radiation devastated the forests, there wouldn't be enough growth to constantly catch fire either.

Although there already has been a Fallout with a lush, fertile environment, and it's Horizon Zero Dawn.
...uh, the nuclear war happened in 2077?ish. The 50s aesthetic is deliberate, the historical divergence was sometime in the 1960s, but the nuclear war was not in the 1950s.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 100 days!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...uh, the nuclear war happened in 2077?ish. The 50s aesthetic is deliberate, the historical divergence was sometime in the 1960s, but the nuclear war was not in the 1950s.

my grandpa gave me his old raygun tho?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All the Oil and Fossil fuels are already gone, It's why the resource wars happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except for the Poseidon Oil Rig, which also doubled as a doom fortress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't remember there being anything to suggest that the Rig was still functional as anything more than a military instillation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Rig was built to gently caress over every other superpower by tapping the last ocean oil supply and I think I remember some people saying that there's still some oil left on site to act as capital for the enclave.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the problem with living off the land without the use of old world technology is that the setting is uncomfortable with acknowledging how fertile or full of life the world is.

As a player you're probably already aware of the fact that you can scrounge food growing wild all over the place, and there don't seem to be major issues with farming, but Fallout is supposed to be about wastelands. Fallout 3 is especially weird about it.

Maybe prewar California somehow destroyed its aquifers, because if it didn't, the only obstacles to becoming an agricultural powerhouse are on the industrial level with fertilizer production or harvesting equipment.

The Mojave and most of Nevada are extremely sparse and barren even in the best conditions. If anything the game is too optimistic about how many people could farm there. Las Vegas’s existence is more a testament to hubris than it is a natural population center.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't remember there being anything to suggest that the Rig was still functional as anything more than a military instillation
I distinctly remember angry fans griping about the Vertibirds in Fallout 3 running on nuclear energy when Fallout 2 had established that the Enclave used the oil from the rig to make fuel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Internet Wizard posted:

The Mojave and most of Nevada are extremely sparse and barren even in the best conditions. If anything the game is too optimistic about how many people could farm there. Las Vegas’s existence is more a testament to hubris than it is a natural population center.

It is, but Hoover Dam/Lake Mead would legit be valuable if intact so I bought the premise.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is anywhere thriving in the Fallout world? Maybe South America and Africa are doing relatively well and they know better than to meddle in the radioactive remains of the Global North. All we know about Europe is that conditions are so bad that people like Cait and Moriarty are willing to brave a trip across the ocean to reach America.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I think that it's only the USA that's Like That and all the other countries just decided to stop picking up the phone until it's less full of Deathclaws and radiation.

*I know it's not lore accurate but its what I imagine every time I see a post-apoc setting

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Australia totally just truckin' along with infinite clean energy and all that, but they're still postapocalyptic aesthetic because, come on, it's Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

There's also the Soviet Union itself, which never broke up but seems to have ceased being America's #1 enemy at some point. Presumably they took Tim Curry's advice and decamped for the Mars colonies before the missiles started flying.