Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Calypso posted:

Mods, please don’t ever ban this guy. In the absurdity that life is right now, it made me laugh uncontrollably for many minutes. I actually looked in my pantry seeing if I could come up with something similar.

Thank you!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Calypso posted:

I actually looked in my pantry seeing if I could come up with something similar.

:same:

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I think if you left out the cream cheese the last creation could maybe work as a Raclette? It's become sort of a tradition for my gf and me to do Raclette on New Years Eve, so maybe I'll try it out then.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Just a rando photo, it's how to 'Let's (Not) Cook.' I tried to fry the rice noodles without boiling first and it was impossible to eat, like pieces of wire

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Maybe you just weren't trying hard enough to eat them

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

What else is in the pan?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bingo Bango posted:

What else is in the pan?

A little bit of this, a little bit of that, a little bit of breakfast, a little bit of last night's dinner,

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i don't want to dissuade you from cooking but have you ever done a reverse pla-doh? where the puddy goes BACK in the tube? then you bake it and then push it onto the plate? or would that be like toothpastefordinner?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Please clean that pan.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Drone posted:

Please clean that pan.

It's still a little rusty, I scraped and scrubbed it. Seems okay.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

That's a beautiful pan

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nicely done! Thanks from the bottom of my heart

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can't wait to see what kind of adventures you get up to with that thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eagerly awaiting the castelvetrano olives, shortbread made with coconut flour, mung bean, and iceberg lettuce one-pan curry.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cheese Thief posted:

Yesss, now make an amazing omelette.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
can I attempt to cook something inspired by this The sp00n zone thread and post the results here, is that even legal?

-edit- I believe we can make yogurt noodles work

ogarza fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 8, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

ogarza posted:

can I attempt to cook something inspired by this The sp00n zone thread and post the results here, is that even legal?

-edit- I believe we can make yogurt noodles work

DO IT

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I call the pickles and almonds cream cheese thing!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

OK I will cut down on the butter. But this morning I made something good, I am happy with myself. It's primarily fried pickles and almonds served over bread of your choice.

Started with butter, to make it big and bold, a foundation. Then added those spices you see Tumeric, Ceyanne, Ginger, And Fish sauce to give it some pop.

Pickles and almonds getting friend, I think they go good together, being crunchy, and being green and brown.

I added the toppings. Cheese and creamcheese on mine. What kind of toppings would you like on yours?

Elegantly simple. As seen over Cornbread.

This dish is top class. I loved every bite. I call it 'The Master Splinter" btw

Okay first I’m going to try to replicate this as best I can and see what it actually tastes like...

So this is the butter, turmeric, cayenne,
and ginger. Not off to a horrible start so far.

All I had were my nice homemade pickles for this, so excuse me if I didn’t make a shitload. Also I only had sliced almonds, I figured that’s okay. Everything wasn’t too bad until the fish sauce hit the pan, then it started getting really weird.

There’s the cream cheese and shredded Colby jack.

And here’s the finished thing.

Look at that cheese pull! And yes I did go in for a taste. I didn’t come this far to not eat it.

After a taste test I decided to save the leftovers for later.

I’m still not sure if Excellent Bird Guy is just a troll or not, but if so: Mission Accomplished. You got me to spend time and effort making gross food that I even volunteered to eat :golfclap:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Now that that’s out of the way, let’s try making something hallway decent with as many similar ingredients as possible.

So my first thought was some sort of fried pickle. My wife is gluten free and almonds make a great flour that can be used similar to wheat flour. So that’s the direction I headed. Added the cayenne, ginger, and a tiny bit of turmeric to the almond flour, along with a little salt and pepper.

Dredged the pickles in egg and the almond flour mixture and pan fried them in a little canola oil.

Instead of cheese and cream cheese, I thought a little garlic aioli would make a better dipper sauce.

Looks pretty good.

Tastes pretty good too :thumbsup:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Look at that cheese pull! And yes I did go in for a taste. I didn’t come this far to not eat it.
This is missing the crucial cornbread element. I have a feeling it balances everything out. That and more cheese.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
No cornbread, and yours doesn't look nearly as Elegantly Simple. Fail.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
<-- that made my morning. Strong effort. I want to make your fried pickles next, if I can get to the grocery store.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

No cornbread

Safety Factor posted:

This is missing the crucial cornbread element.

You know what, I ended up dumping an expired can of corn and a few slices of moldy bread in the trash this afternoon and the smell improved somewhat. Maybe cornbread was the key after all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Really want to make some fried pickles now.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Please buy a copy of Mark Bittmans How to Cook Everything and try using that. It will at least give you an idea of how to use ingredients and if you do tried and true recipes it will help you learn how to improvise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fr0id posted:

Please buy a copy of Mark Bittmans How to Cook Everything and try using that. It will at least give you an idea of how to use ingredients and if you do tried and true recipes it will help you learn how to improvise.

I think they did:

Cheese Thief posted:

So whoever recommended for me to get this book, thanks! I was reading Chapter 1: The Basics of Cooking.
The very first page it says there is this thing called 'food born pathogens" and it can cause food related illnesses, but can be avoided. A lot of cooks are fanatical about kitchen cleanliness. So I think that's something I'm going to have to take seriously. I mean I took microbiology in college but I forgot a lot of it, I know H. Pylori is a thing. I'm going to keep reading this book but today I'm going to clean my pans.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Brawnfire posted:

I think they did:

Well hell. Make the ketchup chicken. It owns.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

:randler: informs me that Bird Guy/Cheese Thief is a literal healthcare professional so either he knows about pathogens and is an effective troll or he's a masterclass career bullshitter from whom we could all learn a thing or two.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
tbh I stopped caring if trolling or not and decided to just enjoy the ride

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Looks pretty good.

Agreed, good job

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Drone posted:

:randler: informs me that Bird Guy/Cheese Thief is a literal healthcare professional so either he knows about pathogens and is an effective troll or he's a masterclass career bullshitter from whom we could all learn a thing or two.

I've been following for a while, and the way he's phrased everything, I believe they could still fit into "works at a hospital as support staff and thus doesn't have medical training" but it could be #iwanttobelieve

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
To steer us away from that discussion, please remember that this all started in the Dinner Thread, with one of my favorite recipes still:

excellent bird guy posted:

Trying to make split pea soup but it is taking forever. The water took at least 4 hours to come to a boil and the peas are still hard. Of course I used lots of tumeric and stained my roommate's ladle green

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

TheAardvark posted:

To steer us away from that discussion, please remember that this all started in the Dinner Thread, with one of my favorite recipes still:

Oh I forgot about that, those peas I think were old, or my roommate's crockpot was busted up. The peas were hard as a rock and were in that pot for over 12 hours.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Split pea soup is easy and delicious. Just don't make it in a crock pot, friend

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Just took a shower and I'm working on those pork patties, not sure if I will boil them

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ogarza posted:

Just took a shower and I'm working on those pork patties, not sure if I will boil them

you found them? :allears: Im so jealous

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

you found them? :allears: Im so jealous
I made them...

All the colors of the rainbow

jicama, cucumber, serrano, cilantro, bell pepper, carrot, tomato, red onion, beet, red cabage.

I threw some pork in a bowl and I had some leftover shrimp in the freezer, I also added the shrimp because I like them.

Added some jicama, onion, an egg, some soy sauce, fish sauce, corn starch, salt and pepper

soften some garlic, ginger, and serrano in sesame oil

then I added lime juice and coconut milk and let it reduce by 2/3 thirds, I ended up adding some sugar near the end because I thought it would be sweeter.

flour, coconut flour because I like coconut, simple as that, turmeric, corn starch, salt, and pepper

I tried this first, but then I wanted to do a homage to the boiled pork patty as well

So I came up with this instead

Fried pork and shrimp patty on coconut, lime, and serrano soup with all the colors of the rainbow

was it good?

Kind of, ate both plates lmao

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I can't help but keep thinking how those patties would have made an awesome burger, they were super juicy and tender, kind of like steam dumplings but with some crunch from the batter, potentially my new surf and turf signature burg, and perhaps I will slowly caramelize the onions before mixing next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Honestly it sounds delicious, even if the before pic looks like one of those insane "sausage with jelly beans" for sale